Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
sorry -- but this is a real alternative

Base model Porsche Cayenne. 300 hp 6sp manual. Base price 47,700.

have seen a few and sat in one yesterday. The base seats are wonderful, the console dash is like a panamera and is gorgeous, and the stick feels like a 911. Stubby and with great action. Reviews are very positive. You can option it up if you want to spend some bucks, but you can also add just a few things and keep it right around 50k. My brother had one a few yrs ago and I never liked it, but the redo is very much worth looking at.

check it out:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...enne/gallery/#

http://cc.porsche.com/pva_new/ccCall...&view=exterior

Just looked at the dimensions -- no too far apart. Length -- Cayenne is 6.5 inches longer, wheelbase 4 inches longer, and unladen weight - Cayenne is 176 lbs heavier

Last edited by cubed; 02-06-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-06-2011, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: Lotus Seven & X3 35i
chacun à son propre goût

Last edited by Lotus7; 02-06-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Have felt for the last couple of years that the base Cayenne was a great buy. Even better now with the refresh and the uprated V6 to 300 hp. If you like (and MUST have) a "performance" SUV with an MT it is well worth looking into. I would probably just add some better wheels but the rest is very well equipped.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
My brother has a Cayenne turbo. Great car. I looked at the base Cayenne as an alternative to the X35, but just couldn't bring myself to switch teams. I'm sure I'd love the car, but the smug look on my brother's face would ruin the whole experience.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
It's bigger and easily priced 15 - 20% more than a COMPARABLY equipped X35, and mileage is lower. Very nice SUV, indeed. But when you include a typical amount of options, the BMW is a better buy.

Doug
Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna330cic View Post
It's bigger and easily priced 15 - 20% more than a COMPARABLY equipped X35, and mileage is lower. Very nice SUV, indeed. But when you include a typical amount of options, the BMW is a better buy.

Doug
The BMW is also significantly faster.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:01 PM

All good points and if it weren't for the fact that the X3 isn't offered (here) with a manual transmission I might actually consider buying it. Until then you guys have fun cruising around with Martha Stewart in your "ultimate driving machine." Give me a car company that at least gives me a choice to row my own gearbox - there are some of us who still think "its a good thing."

Last edited by cubed; 02-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
All good points and if it weren't for the fact that the X3 isn't offered (here) with a manual transmission I might actually consider buying it. Until then you guys have fun cruising around with Martha Stewart in your "ultimate driving machine." Give me a car company that at least gives me a choice to row my own gearbox - there are some of us who still think "its a good thing."

I was one of those guys too. This will be the first car I've ever bought with an autobox. But there comes a time when we have to come to terms with the fact that technology has bested our personal ability.
The fact that Martha Stewart owns one doesn't make the car any less cool. It just makes Martha slightly cooler.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Quote:
I don't recall anyone saying the MT choice isn't a "good thing". If you want a base Cayenne with the rowbox, God bless you. And, frankly - the sexist crap about transmission choices is pretty old and pretty lame. I won't dignify it by digging up that empty argument.

Doug
Old 02-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Right you are if you think you are

But its not that technology can do... woh I just saw a really cool camaro add on the super bowl, cool...
so its not about the fact that they can build a better shifting transmission than I will ever do manually. Its about being connected, involved and experiencing the mechanical excellence of a well executed clutch, gear box and throttle response of a really sweet motor. That's what I want and btw that's what BMW used to bake into every car it made. To me you're missing out on the great things that BMW does if you aren't. Shifting your own gears.

Sexist? - where is that coming from, Doug? The Martha Stewart demographic is just not the identity I want my vehicle to be identified with. Not a male/female thing at all.

Last edited by cubed; 02-06-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 35i
Red face

I could get a car other than a BMW, but I am always left unsatisfied and I end up going back to a BMW.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I'm sorry, I would never buy something that hideous. Halloween occurs only on 31. Oct and not the remaining 364 days in a year.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Seriously leaning toward keeping my 08 MT for a while longer for many reasons and the MT is one of them.

I have owned my fair share of sports type vehicles over the years 57 vette, Porsche 924S, 71 GTO, twin turbo RX-7 and I think the one I remember the most was my 84 GTI Wolfsburg Rabbit.

It just had that connected stuck to the ground feeling. And, when my game was on, so was she. And when my game was off, the same.

This sav gives me that same feel, and my only regrets are I didnt get the sports seats, the sound system was terrible, and not enough power.

The seats I'll deal without, the sound system I fixed (to my liking), and my speed shop tells me they can redo my exhaust and gain me 25 bhp for under $3k.

So I think I'll keep banking my $500 a month car money and in a year or so make a decision when the warranty is up.

Until then...I am with cubed. I still get a kick when I hand a valet the keys and he goes um uh Mr? this is a stick. Really? never noticed Or when someone tries to edge me out of a lane change and I drop down a gear and slip by them.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 02-06-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:50 AM

Same here. Love my 6MT. And do plan on keeping it
Old 02-07-2011, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
You are right about MT, but 6.5" in lenght is quite a difference. I wouldn't say, they are not too far apart.
Good new is that smaller SUV is coming from them.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Martha's "real" car is a black Suburban. Or at least that's the one she is always photographed getting in or out of at the studio.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Iwanna330Cic

Quote:
. . . Until then you guys have fun cruising around with Martha Stewart in your "ultimate driving machine." . . .
Well, maybe you didn't mean it as sexist, but to me it came across that way. And, When I want to row the gears, I will do that in my Porsche. When I'm driving an SAV, I am perfectly happy to enjoy the setup BMW has on the X35.

Doug
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Interesting discussion and interesting alternatives, and I understand that if one wants a MT, then the X3 is out.

This is subjective, but the visual impression of the Cayenne, to me, is not just of a larger vehicle (Cayenne is 6.5 inches longer, wheelbase 4 inches longer), but one that is more muscular / bulkier. Some may prefer that, but I prefer the lines of the X3.

FWIW, this is a review in yesterday's Washingtion Post of the Cayenne S:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020402462.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020403508.html

I realize this is the Cayenne S, not the base model being discussed in this thread, but I came away with two particular insights after reading this.

- One is that you have to go to a noticeably more expensive model of the Cayenne to match the 0 - 60 acceleration of the X3 35i.

- The other is that you have to be very careful with Cayenne options / need to check the price if there is a particular option you want.

Bruce
Old 02-07-2011, 10:17 AM

If it weren't for the simple fact that you can get it with a 6spd manual, I wouldn't have mentioned it the cayenne It really doesn't come off as the same kind of vehicle as the X3, especially the E83. But there are some of us who don't have a second car for when they want to drive a stick. For those of us this car is it. My E83 does it all for me- can be sporty, can be a cruiser, whatever I want. Without the 6sp manual, it can't be all those things for me, and for others here. Im pissed BMW turned its back on my demographic while it embraced the martha demographic. Seems to me they could have embraced both just as porsche has.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
Quote:
If it weren't for the simple fact that you can get it with a 6spd manual, I wouldn't have mentioned it the cayenne It really doesn't come off as the same kind of vehicle as the X3, especially the E83. But there are some of us who don't have a second car for when they want to drive a stick. For those of us this car is it. My E83 does it all for me- can be sporty, can be a cruiser, whatever I want. Without the 6sp manual, it can't be all those things for me, and for others here. Im pissed BMW turned its back on my demographic while it embraced the martha demographic. Seems to me they could have embraced both just as porsche has.
True
Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
There's no such thing as a martha demographic.

I'm not sure how people can say that the MT is sportier when it actually makes your car slower. For me, whatever makes the car faster "feels" sportier. I do wish that there was an option for a MT, but this is just something we'll have to get used to. The Manual Transmission is going the way of the carburetor and bench seating.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Contrary to how my posts may have come across, I actually do understand Cubed's point. And I would also agree that it is a sportier feel to have a manual over an automatic. I doubt most of us would disagree on that one. And, I also understand the disappointment by some over not having the MT "option" on the X3. But, my guess is the vast majority are just fine with the way it is. And to Cubed - I would respectfully suggest you consider getting a previously owned Mazda Miata for your MT fix. They are an absolute blast to drive at the limit and are extraordinarily reliable & inexpensive to own and operate. You can pick one up for a few thousand if you look carefully.

Doug
Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Doug -- i think we agree on alot of whats been said But I just dont think I should have to split my automotive wishes into two diff cars when it can be embodied in one eally well by a great car manufacturer. It is this way in my current E83 manual transmission and all.

Marc -- no Martha demographic? When BMW went down that Martha road they declared very clearly who they are targeting. To deny that is naive.

here are the links dfining Martha's demographic. Just so we have a small sense of reality -- I know this is the internet and all, but a little fact checking helps now and then.

http://www.nytix.com/TVShows/Current/MarthaStewart/

"....The resultant demographic for this TV show is married caucasion women with sizable disposable income, in early 40's to late 60's, with children who have flown the nest...."

http://www.echo-media.com/mediadetail.asp?IDNUmber=4353

Last edited by cubed; 02-07-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna330cic View Post
Well, maybe you didn't mean it as sexist, but to me it came across that way. And, When I want to row the gears, I will do that in my Porsche. When I'm driving an SAV, I am perfectly happy to enjoy the setup BMW has on the X35.

Doug
It's definitely tough to gauge tone on these forums, so I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Thank you all for being grown ups and not letting this one get out of hand.

For my part, I have a 2006 X3 3.0i manual/m-sport/premium/xenons with only 27K miles on it, and I will be driving this thing as long as humanly possible... or until the X1 comes with a manual in the US
Old 02-07-2011, 04:18 PM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
I would be cautious to seriously consider a Cayenne. The two people that I know who have owned this car had some reliability issues. The other friend that has any credibility is a test driver for Porsche. His words to me on the Cayenne? "I'd avoid it".

Granted those conversations were on the previous generation, but I'd have to see some data that shows they have addressed the issues with the first generation. If you like it, then great......just approach carefully.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...