Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 02-06-2011, 08:42 PM
"Here and There"

Mein Auto: E46 M3
who would win? 335i vs m3

Tuesday..Im going to be going head to head with my friends 2007 335i ...he has a dinan chip installed + 10hp and my car has a chip installed with + 10 as well..I heard 335i are fast in the straight line but I dont know whats going to happen..me and him betted 100 dollars whoever wins best out of 3 in 3 runs one go at a 20 mph roll, 2nd at a 40mph roll, and 3rd at a 60mph roll... what are your thoughts on who would win?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Say goodbye to your $100.

mw
Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Say goodbye to your $100.

mw
yup. e9x is gonna roast the e46

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 02-07-2011, 04:24 AM
I'm an agent of chaos

Send a message via AIM to phoenixreborn
Mein Auto: '02 530i
You betted? How much do you get if you winned?

Quote:
How can you move faster than possible, fight longer than possible without the most powerful impulse of the spirit: the fear of death

Old 02-07-2011, 04:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011.5 E90 ZCP ///M3
Your wallet just got a little lighter.
2013 Cayenne S (SOLD)
2010 G37x (Lease Returned)
2011.5 ///M3 Sedan (ED 3/18/11) (SOLD)
2008 335i Sedan (SOLD)
2007 GTI (SOLD)
2006 RSX (SOLD)
1995 Civic (SOLD)
1994 Jetta RIP
Old 02-07-2011, 07:31 AM
"Here and There"

I dont know, I heard some stories of an M3 coming out on top by a car length vs a 335...in a worst case scenario I'm guessing in this situation its all about the driver...
Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 AM
"Here and There"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixreborn View Post
whoever wins get 100
Old 02-07-2011, 09:10 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits n Eggs View Post
I dont know, I heard some stories of an M3 coming out on top by a car length vs a 335...in a worst case scenario I'm guessing in this situation its all about the driver...
If the other driver forgets to press the go-pedal, yes.

It's the progression of the beast. Would you bet an e30 would take an e36/46/9x? I hope not. I'm still looking at an e46m3 and debating it over an e31 but I still recognize the e46 as a fat pig...although a sexy, sexy one and I think yours looks amazing.

You may recall the ZHP coming out and the outrage over it being an M3 challenger (yes, with some mods.)

The e9x335 is going to eat the lunch of an e46...stock but if you each put +10hp chips in then all you have done is made the same cars 1mph faster.

How about your other mods? Unsprung weight reduction? Fat weight reduction?

Stock Vs. Stock and sorry, you lost your $100. Unless, of course, the other guy forgets to turn on his car first.

Quote:
whoever wins get 100
you diddented catched on to the joke.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 AM
"Here and There"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jever View Post
If the other driver forgets to press the go-pedal, yes.

It's the progression of the beast. Would you bet an e30 would take an e36/46/9x? I hope not. I'm still looking at an e46m3 and debating it over an e31 but I still recognize the e46 as a fat pig...although a sexy, sexy one and I think yours looks amazing.

You may recall the ZHP coming out and the outrage over it being an M3 challenger (yes, with some mods.)

The e9x335 is going to eat the lunch of an e46...stock but if you each put +10hp chips in then all you have done is made the same cars 1mph faster.

How about your other mods? Unsprung weight reduction? Fat weight reduction?

Stock Vs. Stock and sorry, you lost your $100. Unless, of course, the other guy forgets to turn on his car first.

you diddented catched on to the joke.
no weight reduction etc all stock except for the chip of course...but in comparison to a 335i and e46 M the M has better gear ratios, lighter weight, more rigid chassis, and a more aggressive power band. but in this case we are starting at 20 mph and up.. if was from launch I think the outcome would make a difference..my M3 powerband is above 5.5k to redline, meaning thrashing it is the only way...the LSD plays a big part as well...if my friend had an automatic I think he would come out on top...but in this case he has a stick shift so the difference between M shifting and 335i shifting are totally different..
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
call me darkcloud

Quote:
no weight reduction etc all stock except for the chip of course...but in comparison to a 335i and e46 M the M has better gear ratios, lighter weight, more rigid chassis, and a more aggressive power band. but in this case we are starting at 20 mph and up.. if was from launch I think the outcome would make a difference..my M3 powerband is above 5.5k to redline, meaning thrashing it is the only way...the LSD plays a big part as well...if my friend had an automatic I think he would come out on top...but in this case he has a stick shift so the difference between M shifting and 335i shifting are totally different..
I think you should add a run from standing still. There are 2 huge problems with rolling starts, and you know this already, but are you both at the same speed when you go and who's calling it? The guy who honks his horn already has a .0xxx second head start since he knows when that 3rd honk is coming. If you're going to drag then that time differential makes a huge difference.

Where's teh finish line at? Marked spot?

I'd say you do standing runs and maybe 20mph run. Starting at 60 (and I hope you're on a track if you're going to do this since you'll need to really stretch the legs to see how it pans out) is silly.

How much do your wheels weigh? I'm just curious. Your car does look pretty damn sweet. I'm looking at an Imola one right now but I'd probably drop the hammer if there was a Laguna Seca one still out there.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Angus Ultimus

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci
With the proper chip, a 335 will smoke the current M3. You my friend, have a small chance of victory...but a chance nonetheless.
" ... In selecting men for office, let principle be your guide. Regard not the particular sect or denomination of the candidate -- look to his character."
Noah Webster
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
"Here and There"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeef View Post
With the proper chip, a 335 will smoke the current M3. You my friend, have a small chance of victory...but a chance nonetheless.
a small chance is all I need...
Old 02-08-2011, 01:25 PM
"Here and There"

well I have the race results ....it turned out pretty good...Ive got him from launch standing still with about 1 and a half car length (this didn't count out of best of 3) once again M cars have better gear ratios then regular BMW's..on the 20 mph he got me on that one.. it was pretty close I was ahead then he gained speed and caught up to me... on the 40mph roll I I won by a foot or so but on the 60 mph he straight murdered me...we had fun though I didn't mind giving up 100..but at the end of the day I still love my M3
Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Think Solar

Mein Auto: 2008 X3; 2007 650i conv
This really begs the question...Why do people buy M3s anymore? I've been to M school twice and enjoy driving the cars, but I've yet to fully understand what makes them worth the price premium over a 335. Is it all about track cornering? Cuz that's only a little bit better, and only accessible by the best drivers under track conditions. Is it about higher top end? I guess if you're on the Autobahn...

To be very honest, I'm asking because I still find myself wanting an M3...but for the life of me I really can't figure out why

MY2008 X3 3.0si |Monaco Blue| Sand | Sport | Prem | NAV | Auto | Euro Delivery 9/21/07

2004 X5 4.4i (retired)
Old 02-08-2011, 04:27 PM
"Here and There"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke77 View Post
This really begs the question...Why do people buy M3s anymore? I've been to M school twice and enjoy driving the cars, but I've yet to fully understand what makes them worth the price premium over a 335. Is it all about track cornering? Cuz that's only a little bit better, and only accessible by the best drivers under track conditions. Is it about higher top end? I guess if you're on the Autobahn...

To be very honest, I'm asking because I still find myself wanting an M3...but for the life of me I really can't figure out why
thats because M cars are racer cars they built to be driven around the track..driving fast in a straight line is not the only thing M cars are good for....People tend to forget one major thing that the M3s have over non-M's "Limited Slip Differential". If I had of race my friend 335i around a closed track...there is no way in H*ll he would of beat me. Don't get me wrong the 335 one h*ll of a car it's just a very different driving experience so it depends on what you want to "Feel" when you drive. I'll elaborate...
M cars are just mindblowing. They steer like a go cart, have incredible road feedback and tons of smile factor. The ride is a lot more aggressive than the 335 so you have to like that kind of thing. I drive mine likes it stolen so I want a firm ride and work my way through the peak of ever gear..the 335i is very strong but it doesnt give you that "ALIVE" feeling like a M car does..if you want have a powerful engine and smooth ride get a 335i but if you want your driving experience to have that bumpy and wreckless feeling get a M3..
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
.People tend to forget one major thing that the M3s have over non-M's "Limited Slip Differential". If I had of race my friend 335i around a closed track...there is no way in H*ll he would of beat me..
Don't kid yourself - the better drive would win on a closed track. I've smoked my share of e46 M3s (and many other fast cars) around moderately tight race tracks (like Gingerman), with a completely stock no-LSD e46 330Ci, and have video to back it up. Really well-driven M3s and 335i pull away, of course, but not by as much as you'd think.

The best example is coming out of turn 14 at Road America. Its a 3000' straight, going up a steep hill. Horsepower wins on that stretch, and my poor little car takes almost 30 seconds to get to turn 1. If a 335i is behind me, he passes me about 1/2 up the hill. An e46 M3 doesn't go by until after the hill starts to flatten out by the start finish line, so I'll usually lift a touch to let him by, just in case there's a truly fast car behind him. The peak power may be similar, but the 335i has a lot more midrange torque.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 02-13-2011, 09:01 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Agree with 335 having more mid range power and thus faster from a roll
Old 02-17-2011, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Stock vs Stock, M3 should be faster. If the 335 is modded at all, then it'll blow the doors off the M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
Agree with 335 having more mid range power and thus faster from a roll
Not necessarily. N54 may develop more torque, but the redline isn't as high, so the gearing has to be longer... wheel torque (torque * gear ratios) is very similar between the two cars. S54 also has 85% of its torque available from 2000RPM until redline.

Since the gearbox ratios are quite similar, and since both cars have very flat torque bands, I'm just going to use the peak torque and rear-end ratios to compare the wheel torque differences between the two cars. I'll also factor out the difference in relative torque that results from the M3 having larger diameter tires

E46 M3: 262 * 3.62 = 948.44 * 25 / 26 (to factor out tire diameter difference) = 911.6
E9x 335: 300 * 3.08 = 924

The E9x has a slight wheel torque advantage, but its torque also drops off much earlier than it does in the E46 M3, so I think the M3 probably has an overall advantage stock v. stock.

Cliffs: You can't rely solely on engine torque numbers. You have to take into account things like gear ratios, redline, and area under the torque curve if you want to truly compare performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Don't kid yourself - the better drive would win on a closed track. I've smoked my share of e46 M3s (and many other fast cars) around moderately tight race tracks (like Gingerman), with a completely stock no-LSD e46 330Ci, and have video to back it up. Really well-driven M3s and 335i pull away, of course, but not by as much as you'd think.

The best example is coming out of turn 14 at Road America. Its a 3000' straight, going up a steep hill. Horsepower wins on that stretch, and my poor little car takes almost 30 seconds to get to turn 1. If a 335i is behind me, he passes me about 1/2 up the hill. An e46 M3 doesn't go by until after the hill starts to flatten out by the start finish line, so I'll usually lift a touch to let him by, just in case there's a truly fast car behind him. The peak power may be similar, but the 335i has a lot more midrange torque.
Were those 335s stock? They should not be that much faster unless chipped. The mid-range torque should not be a factor for the reasons I mentioned above.

Admittedly, the M3 did come geared a little too long from the factory. The top speeds in each gear would be more inline w/ other BMWs if they stuck a 3.91 in there

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-17-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: '91 535i/5
346 hp M3 vs 300hp 335i

M3 should win

1995 525iT. 178k miles. Magnaflow exhaust. SOLD
1991 535i/5. 154k miles. |DT Performance Catback|CAI|Miller MAF/WAR Chip|NEX coilovers|Beyern Rapp Staggered wheels| SOLD

FOR SALE
Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM
HMFIC

Mein Auto: 2002 ///M3
My brother has a stock 135i and I have a stock 2002 M3. They are pretty much dead even from various speeds. I pull ever so slightly, but just barely.

I'm sure with a chip/tune he'd destroy me.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: e90 335i sedan; e46 m3
peculiar the 335i was chipped and only gained 10hp? i have dinan stage 2 on mine and it gives claimed 80hp/118tq (ish) at the crank. and with those numbers it is quite a bit faster than my bone-stock e46 m3. 335i is an awesome, fast, sexy street car, but it just doesn't have that "take me to the track" attitude that the m3 is known for. both cars are fun to drive and for errands a lot of times the 335i will win, for a joy ride, it's usually the m3. both are stellar cars though.

matt
Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: e46 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixreborn View Post
LMFAO
Old 05-18-2011, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: e46 ///M3
Quote:
whoever wins get 100
LMFAO even MORE!!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
The 335i is under rated from the factory and many Dyno's including car magazines have verified it. The stock 335i is making more like 320hp and the stock M3 is making 333hp not 346hp. However, a stock 335i has a huge edge on torque vs stock M3.

The OP says he has a chip in his M3. The chip in M3 might only bump power by 10hp and 10 Ib-ft of torque due to a naturally aspirated inline-6 engine as he claims. But the Dinan chip in twin turbo inline-6 makes a lot more then just 10hp and 10 Ib-ft of torque.

A simple Dinan chip will push 335i to make 360 Horsepower; 373 lb-ft of Torque as verified by Dinan's own website. In which case I think OP should save his $100 by not betting and maybe invest it towards future mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravik View Post
346 hp M3 vs 300hp 335i

M3 should win

Last edited by Kayani_1; 05-20-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 AM
levinecuneta

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
That's the 335i power? The only non-M to beat an E46 M3 among the 3 series?