Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 535, X5, K1200GT
Active Blind Spot Detection

I used it today for the first time in my new 535 and it was dead on accurate. Anyone considering this option and can't decide it's worth the cost.

At the rear of the vehicle the Active Blind Spot Detection uses radar sensors to inform the driver via a symbol on the wing mirror if there is a vehicle currently in their blind spot or if a vehicle is approaching quickly from the rear. As soon as the driver uses the indicator to change lanes, they are warned in potentially dangerous situations by a flashing LED signal and vibrations.

Safe travels.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Define "dead on accurate", please. For me, I find the "zone" to be overly far behind the car. In other words, I have switched lanes and gotten the warning with what I would consider plenty of room to switch. And haven't had anyone honk or flash yet, so they must agree with me.

Other than that, I do like the system and leave it on.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I have been happy with it and it seems to detect motorcycles as well as larger vehicles. The active or dynamic mode also is a nice feature. To me it seems to have multiple or at least dual zones. For example if I am going 65 mph and another vehicle is approaching at only a few mph faster the detection of the system is when the vehicle enters the blind spot. If on the other hand the approaching vehicle is going 75 or 80 mph the system activates when the approaching vehicle has a larger distance behind the blind spotů. nice. . So it is using both distance and speed to determine the trigger point.

Last edited by jwrtiger; 02-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrtiger View Post
I have been happy with it and it seems to detect motorcycles as well as larger vehicles. The active or dynamic mode also is a nice feature. To me it seems to have multiple or at least dual zones. For example if I am going 65 mph and another vehicle is approaching at only a few mph faster the detection of the system is when the vehicle enters the blind spot. If on the other hand the approaching vehicle is going 75 or 80 mph the system activates when the approaching vehicle has a larger distance behind the blind spotů. nice. . So it is using both distance and speed to determine the trigger point.
Yes, there definitely is logic to the system, which is why I like it. For instance, if I am passing someone with a decent closing speed, I don't really recall the alert going off for the car moving into my blind spot.

The system on the Volvos seems "dumb" in that if there is a car there, you get an alert.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
i didn't want this option, but it came with the car and I must say it works very well. It takes the guess work out of changing lanes on the highway.
Downsides:
1. Like Needsdecaf mentioned it warns you a tad early.
2. In bright sunlight the warning is a little tougher to see.
Overall, it works well, but my concern would be... broken side mirrors are pretty common, and I'm thinking replacing these, is not going to be easy.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535i
Smile

I like this feature a lot and it generally works well. Two minor drawbacks: as someone else mentioned, the warning light is not very bright and is hard to see in sunlight, and it triggers, of course, when you have to drive aggressively in heavy traffic. (If I didn't do this sometimes, I would never make some of the lane changes needed on my way home).
Old 02-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
i didn't want this option, but it came with the car and I must say it works very well. It takes the guess work out of changing lanes on the highway.
Downsides:
1. Like Needsdecaf mentioned it warns you a tad early.
2. In bright sunlight the warning is a little tougher to see.
Overall, it works well, but my concern would be... broken side mirrors are pretty common, and I'm thinking replacing these, is not going to be easy.
We passed on this as in reality nothing can replace your brain and observation. For those who don't have it adjust your side mirror to cover the entire lane and just lean over a bit to see closer to your rear fender.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Will get this feature when I can't turn my neck side to side
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
I have it and I will not get the package the next time because it is not worth it.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Question to people with the feature: Does it blink continually when you're in traffic and cars are all around you? Granted I don't have it, so no real experience with it, but if your mirrors are set correctly (like mine!) you really shouldn't have a blind spot to begin with. I've been saved numerous times by simply glancing in either of my mirrors having lost track of a car next to me, or having one "sneak up" on me. I would almost think it takes longer to focus on the light than to just see the car itself in the mirror. Again, I guess I need to try it.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-08-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Question to people with the feature: Does it blink continually when you're in traffic and cars are all around you? Granted I don't have it, so no real experience with it, but if your mirrors are set correctly (like mine!) you really shouldn't have a blind spot to begin with.
It only works above 35mph I believe. It's kinda like the power trunk, is it necessary, not at all. Is it nice to have, yeah.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535
Quote:
Does it blink continually when you're in traffic and cars are all around you?
It does blink when driving in traffic, but it's a dim blink. If I look for it, I can see it, but it is not bright enough for me to notice if I'm not looking for it. When the turn signal is on, then the brightness is significantly higher and the steering wheel vibrates to indicate a hazard.

I agree with TJPark01: It's certainly not necessary, but it's nice to have.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 5 series
Quote:
I would almost think it takes longer to focus on the light than to just see the car itself in the mirror. Again, I guess I need to try it.
If you can't see the light, the steering wheel would also vibrate when you try to change lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesight1 View Post
We passed on this as in reality nothing can replace your brain and observation.
This is designed to be a device to ASSIST you, not replacing you...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
this is designed to be a device to assist you, not replacing you...
+1
Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlm View Post
It does blink when driving in traffic, but it's a dim blink. If I look for it, I can see it, but it is not bright enough for me to notice if I'm not looking for it. When the turn signal is on, then the brightness is significantly higher and the steering wheel vibrates to indicate a hazard.
I think the steering wheel vibration is related to the lane departure warning, not the blind spot warning.

Also I just looked in the manual. Is it correct that the blind spot light blinks only when the turn signal is activated? If this is true, for me, the warning would be too late. I don't turn my turn signal on more than a few car lengths before I make a lane change, after I've already made sure the coast is clear and I'm already planning to move. I've taught my wife this as well. Turning on the signal way ahead of an intended lane change makes the person next to you feel pretty sure you're coming over NOW. If I see a turn signal come on on a car next to me I defensively sound a warning horn thinking they don't see me. I would think the blind spot indicator would work even with the turn signals off.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-09-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
. I would almost think it takes longer to focus on the light than to just see the car itself in the mirror. Again, I guess I need to try it.
The light is right on the mirror housing, next to the mirror. As soon as you glance at your mirror, you've seen it. It really helps you most if you halfway glance at the mirror, don't glance at all, or have your mirrors improperly adjusted.

When it gets warm out we can meet up and I'll let you try it. Too freaking cold to stand around looking at cars now. Brrr.

Quote:
I think the steering wheel vibration is related to the lane departure warning, not the blind spot warning..
Incorrect, it is used by both.

Quote:
Also I just looked in the manual. Is it correct that the blind spot light blinks only when the turn signal is activated? If this is true, for me, the warning would be too late.
Blinks, yes. But illuminates, no.

A dim LED triangle illuminates when the system is active (over 40 MPH) and when it senses a car in your blind spot. The illumination is very unobtrusive. Between the brightness (lack of), placement and the fact that it's not always on (as I said, it does not flash if you are passing a car and that car moves into your blind spot), you never notice it. The way it works is that it will warn you in two ways:

1) The LED will rapidly flash.
2) The steering wheel will vibrate.

The warning will illuminate if you put your turn signal on and the system detects a car in your blind spot.

Honestly, it's not a substitute for you, the driver. I always signal, and sometimes I signal late, as in hit the lever while turning the wheel. The flash and the wheel vibration is enough for you to get back straight before you've moved more than a foot or two, so as long as 1) you're not on top of the car next to you or 2) You don't yank the wheel like a stuntman, you'll be fine.

I never would have spent the money on the system, and after having it, I still wouldn't. But it came with the car when i bought it, and I like that I have it. It's already saved me once, not that I've ever had an accident in that method, even though I've been honked at and had to swerve back plenty of times. Plus, the system is pretty unobtrusive the way it works.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 02-09-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Steering wheel vibration is related to both the lane departure and the blind spot warnings. The vibration comes on as soon as you turn on your blinker, which is the intent you are giving to the computer that you are changing lanes. THe blind spot indicator also works with the turn signals off, although mildly. The faint yellow triangle light comes on when there is someone in yoru blind spot (or what you care perceives as your blind spot).
Old 02-09-2011, 01:41 PM

Thanks guys, I get it now. It's basically a 2-level warning. One is passive when you're driving along with the turn signal off so you can add the LED to your things to notice when planning a lane change. Then if you've missed something and actually turn on the signal to move over, it gives you a more blaring active warning to STOP.

UPDATE: Hmm, they could probably easily add additional steering wheel resistance to the active warning.

Last edited by markl53; 02-09-2011 at 01:43 PM.