Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Smile Would love advice on x3 just put down deposit

I just put down a deposit on the x3 28i with the following packages-Technology, Cold Weather, Premium, and Convenience. Maintenance cost are a huge concern for me I have only ever had asian cars and have had very little maintenance. The dealer said if I was concerned about maintenance I should go with the non turbo as costs would be more over time with the turbo. The packages are a little frustrating as I really don't need say heated seats in back but seriously no floor mats included?? I feel kinda nickle/dimed...Hoping the x3 will do well in snow/ice on hills. We don't get snow often but when we do it is nasty, due to our hilly terrain. Kinda concerned after reading about some of the problems after delivery. Sure wish they offered a diesel here in the states and blind spot monitoring. I have never spent this kind of $ on a car and don't want to mess up. I seriously considered the q5 but the 4year maintenance/warranty swayed me to bmw. Love this forum. Thanks for any info and advice.

Last edited by Skygal; 02-09-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skygal View Post
I just put down a deposit on the x3 28i with the following packages-Technology, Cold Weather, Premium, and Convenience. Maintenance cost are a huge concern for me I have only ever had asian cars and have had very little maintenance. The dealer said if I was concerned about maintenance I should go with the non turbo as costs would be more over time with the turbo. The packages are a little frustrating as I really don't need say heated seats in back but seriously no floor mats included?? I feel kinda nickle/dimed...Hoping the x3 will do well in snow/ice on hills. We don't get snow often but when we do it is nasty, due to our hilly terrain. Kinda concerned after reading about some of the problems after delivery. Sure wish they offered a diesel here in the states and blind spot monitoring. I have never spent this kind of $ on a car and don't want to mess up. I seriously considered the q5 but the 4year maintenance/warranty swayed me to bmw. Love this forum. Thanks for any info and advice.
You can always add on to the maintenance and warranty. But just remember that they cost the same at the end of the term as they do at the time of purchase.

I've bought 2 BMWs and one MINI. Each time they threw in the floormats free of charge. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
As for option packages, many of the options can be ordered separately like front heated seats and steering wheel. The premium package is a bit of a rip-off unless you must have leather, lumbar and a moonroof, but that's just my opinion.

The floor mats are usually thrown in at no charge, that's something easily negotiable with the dealer. If you cannot do basic maintenance, BMW offers an extension on Maintenance Plans for an additional 2 years after the first four.

If you plan to keep you car a long time, don't cheap out on the basic maintenance. BMW will only pay for the oil changes when the computer says so (about every 18k miles), so it's prudent to change it yourself once in between. It's also wise to change many other fluids around 60k or so, like the transfer case, ATF, power steering, and coolant if you really intend to keep your car for a long time. These changes are on your dime but can be performed outside the dealer. Honestly, "lifetime fluids" is an excuse for them not to pay for it under free maintenance.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
Go directly to Hyundai. Do not stop at Honda, Toyota or Mazda. You obviously wondered into the wrong dealership. Hyundais are reliable, have an amazing warranty and dont cost an arm and a leg.

Glad to help
Old 02-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Fountainhead

We're all douche bags.

Enjoy your car.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM

That is so funny!!! I have a hyundai azera at this time and you are right they do come loaded and maintenance has been great. Looking for a reliable awd thats fun to drive with all the sensors. Oh and the car mats -just thought it was cheesy that they were going to make you pay for them.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
---whaddya mean "we're all d--bags?"

I thought I was the only one.

(but you have to admit I did nail it)
Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
I think Cubed was right on, as in get your deposit back, and go shopping at H, T, Hy, et al, imo.

If you are leasing, (and tossing the car back after 3 yrs), BMWs are great cars. If you are buying, and keeping it 5+ years, and do as AznMPower suggested on common sense maintenance, as opposed to what BMW covers, it may be the car for you if you like the cache, the style, the step up, etc.

If neither of the above, I would take a Pasadena...

And, you will need dedicated snow tires in areas of 'Seattle' in winter. The XDrive is very good, but depending upon what tires come with your selection, the 'all weathers' won't get you up steep hills in real winter.

I love BMWs, but they are/have become very complex beasts that few people, other than enthusiasts/martyrs should own, once warranty and maintenance expire; add in the first year model run standard glitches, on this new X3, and I still suggest walking down the street to those other name brands, or waiting a yearish for the dust to settle. I told my CEO/wife the same thing. My 50Cts...
GL, mD
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/

Last edited by motordavid; 02-09-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Fountainhead

From reading the responses here one might be lead to believe that BMWs are difficult to own. They are not. A BMW is just another car. It's no more difficult to own than a Honda, Toyota or Spaniel. You will not need to have a Teutonic mechanic on permanent retainer. You will not need to take a performance driving course taught by Sir Jackie Stewart to learn how to handle the beast. You don't even need to get a special driver's license. Just take good care of it and you'll be fine.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 PM

MarcA78. Thanks. I have talked to several bimmer owners and it is interesting because most moan about maintenance but love their bmw. I really enjoyed the car but do not want to get in the position of the car owning me. That is my main concern that I buy the car and it ends up having alot of problems and is too expenive to maintain, since that is what I hear the most about. AznM -good input on other post about the 28 or 35.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
Even an expencive maintenance is way cheaper than making paiments for a new car. Important that you like the ride. After about a year you will know if it is a keeper, and than invest a bit more for extra oil changes etc.