Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-07-2014, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i
Driver's door airbag and purple connector

Hi guys,

I took off my door panel to fix an issue with the window. After successfully completing it and putting everything back together I noticed that there was a purple female connector that I could not find a place for. The connector has two wires coming out of it, one is white with a red stripe and the other is white with a blue stripe.

After searching for any unused male leads I decided to just close it up and see what happens. My airbag indicator light is now lit. When I opened up the door panel again, I followed the airbag wire and it goes straight into a cluster of cables that goes through the door into the vehicle.

I have searched this forum, Google and the repair manual. Has anyone come across this issue before or can shed some light on how I can solve this issue? I have included two pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0193.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	444669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0192.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	444670  
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Having pondered this issue before, I made sure it was in the bestlinks, but I do agree the search might not be intuitive.

I typed /connector F3 in the bestlinks to find it, and this came up (related to window regulator repairs):
- What is the empty two-wire connector in the front driver side door used for anyway (1) (2)

See also:
- How to diagnose and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1) and how to remove a BMW E39 front passenger side door window regulator (1) (2) & the unintuitive trick to effortlessly loosen and tighten the astronomical cable tension without damaging the front door window regulator (1) & how to rebuild and restring your current E39 front door window regulator (1) & scores of pictures showing how NOT to remove & repair your front door window regulators (1) & what is the empty two-wire connector in the front driver side door used for anyway (1) (2)

EDIT:
As for the airbag, you didn't follow the procedure correctly in that you didn't use enough garlic!

See also:

- What is the cheapest usable BMW E39 airbag srs reset/scan tool on the net (1) & what other scan tools reset the fault (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & a BMW description of the SRS system (1) & what can cause a BMW E39 SRS airbag light (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & a cn90 DIY for replacing the driver seat belt buckle pretensioner and the passenger seat emulator (1) (2) & where to obtain an airbag occupancy sensor bypass unit (0) (1) (2) & what happens when we disconnect the airbag before the battery or we connect the battery before disconnecting the airbag in seat and window regulator repairs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Last edited by bluebee; 06-07-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Thank you bluebee! I appreciate your help and your quick response, I will be sure to look through the bestlinks as I am planning on doing more work on my car.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Thank you bluebee! I appreciate your help and your quick response, I will be sure to look through the bestlinks as I am planning on doing more work on my car.
Good. That is the desired response, and that exact realization is the main reason I go to the trouble to list the links that are found.

Your job, as is mine, is that whenever we have a problem, we search for that problem, and we learn about it, and, THEN we add value for the team!

How we add value depends on the problem.

Sometimes it's simply posting a picture.
Other times it's asking a specific unanswered question.
Many times our value is in providing prices and or suppliers.
etc.

Your job is to always ADD VALUE ... so if you find out more about this purple connector, for example, then that is your role here.

Everyone stands on the shoulders of everyone else!
Old 06-07-2014, 03:55 PM

As for your airbag light, the problem, almost certainly, is that you disconnected or connected the yellow airbag connector when the battery was in the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Can we take this time to again WARN that BEFORE any electrical connector to any component in the SRS system is pulled...remove the negative battery cable FIRST!!! Then do NOT replace the negative battery cable UNTIL you've reconnected any SRS electrical connector.
At this point, there's nothing you can do save reset the airbag light.
You can either borrow the tool, or pay someone to reset it (amortizing the cost of their tool), or you can just buy the tool.

BTW, I haven't ever made that mistake (yet), even though I've opened that door up more times than I want to admit to, but I put a LOT of garlic on the related parts to ward off that common fault!

Last edited by bluebee; 06-07-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
did you dissconnect the purple connector? If not then leave it be.. Its for a option you do not have

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 06-07-2014, 04:19 PM

bluebee, you are correct. I made that mistake. Looks like I need to look into that tool I will try to log on to this forum more often (I usually find solutions to my problems on here). Thank again!