Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 528xi
Dealer Set 528xi Tire Pressure to 49 psi

Cold morning in NJ on 9/26 and for the first time my TPMs indicated low pressure in all 4 tires. The rears were 32 and the fronts at 28-29 on my 2016 528xi that was delivered in June. Factory recommended in 38R and 35F. Called dealer yesterday and mentioned tires were los and was told to just come in and they would fill them quickly. So I did and after I drove away the TPMs indicated 49R and 45F. I figured they were probably wrong but when I got back to my office I checked with my own tire gauge and found that the TPMs were correct.

As I didn't work with an SA, I called an SA and then the dealer service manager and left VMs, and still have not received a call back. The issues I have are why did they grossly overinflate them yesterday, and why were they so far below recommended pressure when the TPMs indicated a problem.

'97 528i - Retired
'01 530i - Retired
'04 530i - Retired
'08 535xi - Retired
'11 335i Conv - Retired
'14 X1 MSport - Retired
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2016, 02:13 PM
redhot47fla

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d
As I recall, my TPMs also seemed to wait longer than I would have expected to warn me of low pressure a few months ago. Must be a rather forgiving system when it comes to that.

But the overinflation by the dealer...yes, that's definitely problematic -- but not unusual, imo. Though my BMW dealer has gotten it right more often than not, I rarely leave other dealerships with tires that are not grossly overinflated. I have no idea why this is, but it certainly seems to be a pattern.
2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, Driver Assistance/Driver Assistance Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, HK sound, fully coded by Octopump.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota.

Last edited by redhot47fla; 09-29-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Don't expect a Rhodes Scholar to be the one putting air in tires at a car dealership.

The might have read the maximum tire pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tire, which is different from the tire pressures shown on the decal on the door jamb. But, that wouldn't explain why the rears were both four PSI higher than the front.

Another theory is that the dealer's tire pressure gauge is wrong.

Tire pressure goes up roughly one PSI for every 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Driving heats tires roughly 30 degrees, roughly equating to three PSI. Sunlight also heats tires and causes increases in pressure, since black surfaces are a perfect absorber of radiant energy.

TMPS doesn't give an alarm until the pressure is 20% below what the TMPS was set at.

Tires lose air. Nitrogen slows it down about 20%, according to a test done by Consumers Report. My tires, on three cars, lose about one PSI every week, and that includes accounting for temperature changes, and checking them when they're cold and before any sunlight exposure.

The pressures recommended by the car manufacturers are not necessarily the ideal pressure for even tire wear. Handling, ride quality, and keeping the tires flexible enough to conform to discontinuities in the road surface (expansion joints, transition from one pavement surface to another, etc.) and not lose adhesion are also factors. Run-flats are especially bad for excessive wear on the inner and outer (lateral) sections of the tread, even at the recommended pressures.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:33 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
Years ago I bought a tire inflater from Sears for about $25. Worked great for about 10 years, just got my 2nd one this past spring. Recommend everyone get one, keep it in the trunk. I got tired of trying to find a working air punp at local gas stations during winter months -- they take them in in cold weather. I would never drive to a dealer just to get some air.

The reason they were low is the weather has gotten cooler. You do realize air pressure is related to ambient temperatures? It's always a good idea to check tire pressure monthly, and especially during seasonal temperature swings.

All that said, there is no excuse for the dealer to inflate to 49 pounds -- could lead to a blowout and other tire damage.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 09-29-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:48 PM

I grabbed a high-quality bicycle pump, Topeak "Joe Blow." It was about $50, but I bought it from an independent bike shop that has provided me good service. The pump was made in Taiwan, not China. I check my tires roughly every two weeks and before and after a day on the road. So, I'm just fine-tuning my pressures. Ten pumps will get me about one PSI. I also carry a spare tire. I also have an old Craftsman 120 VAC electric pump. But, it's noisy.

My tires lose one to two PSI every two weeks.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:49 PM
redhot47fla

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535d
Portable air compressor/jump starter: One of the best things I ever bought...

http://costcocouple.com/powerstation...e-jumpstarter/
2014 535d: Carbon Black/Mocha, M Sport/704 suspension, Driver Assistance/Driver Assistance Plus, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating, Premium Package, SAT, Soft-Close doors, Power sunshade, HK sound, fully coded by Octopump.
Retired: 2013 535i, Space Gray Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:16 AM
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD

Mein Auto: 2014 535XD (German Model)
49 PSI for rear tires when warmed up after driving is a tick on the high side but not out of range or dangerous.. If it is with Run Flats tends to make a harsh ride though...

I run 38 front, 44 rear when cold, I see up to 42 / 48 in hot Wx fast on the Autobahn noting BMW actually recommends higher pressure > 100MPH... non run-flops, oh I mean flats... pun intended

Think about all the fuel you saved ;-)
Alpinweiss - Nappa Mocca
AC Schnitzer 30-30 Springs
18" Michelin Pilot Supersports
Old 09-30-2016, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Every time my dealer pump up my tires, I have to re-adjust them again myself.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Really, you went to the dealer to put air in your tires?? As the old saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself. Get a compressor and do it yourself!
Old 09-30-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Really, you went to the dealer to put air in your tires?? As the old saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself. Get a compressor and do it yourself!
A lot of people don't check the air at all themselves. The air gets changed at the next oil changed. If everybody checked their tire pressures regularly, it would be a disaster for the tire manufacturing industry.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
A lot of people don't check the air at all themselves. The air gets changed at the next oil changed. If everybody checked their tire pressures regularly, it would be a disaster for the tire manufacturing industry.
I would think anyone that frequents a forum site dedicated to automobiles would want to make sure this piece is correct. The correct air pressure in tires impacts every aspects of a car's performance including handling, braking, comfort, and fuel economy, not to mention the life of an expensive wear item of your vehicle. Guys, do yourself a favor, get a good pressure gauge, some sort of air compressor, and check your tire pressures at least once a month.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 528xi
Quote:
I would think anyone that frequents a forum site dedicated to automobiles would want to make sure this piece is correct. The correct air pressure in tires impacts every aspects of a car's performance including handling, braking, comfort, and fuel economy, not to mention the life of an expensive wear item of your vehicle. Guys, do yourself a favor, get a good pressure gauge, some sort of air compressor, and check your tire pressures at least once a month.
I am guilty as charged. I do have a quality tire gauge and a Slime inflator that runs off the lighter receptacle. I never got a low tire indicator on any BMW before due to cold weather, although I do get that message on my wife's Acura on the first cold morning of the year. So first, I thought there was perhaps something wrong with the TPM system, and if not, the thought of filling four tires from my pump while in my office building's garage was more than I wanted to do at lunch.

Odd thing is, I did deflate the tires before leaving the office Wednesday night and neglected to reset the TPMs, but it wasn't until this morning that the TPMs warned me of low pressure.

'97 528i - Retired
'01 530i - Retired
'04 530i - Retired
'08 535xi - Retired
'11 335i Conv - Retired
'14 X1 MSport - Retired
Old 09-30-2016, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I don't, but when I go in for service, they think they are doing me a favor by pumping up my tires. In reality, they are making more work for me.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i M-Sport
They all over inflate due to the belief that the added pressure will protect rim damage from potholes.

Current BMW
2015 535i M Sport

Prior BMW's
2012 335i
2004 X5
2004 545i
2004 M3
2004 330i
2002 745i
Old 09-30-2016, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: F02
They probably figured if they over inflated, you wouldn't need more air for a couple of years
Old 10-01-2016, 02:21 AM

Mein Auto:
I never trust dealers with my tire pressure. Never once have they done it right.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 535iX M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsscheung View Post
I never trust dealers with my tire pressure. Never once have they done it right.
Ever wonder what else they don't do right?
Old 10-01-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I worked with an engineer (MSEE) who didn't / doesn't check his tire pressure. He assumed his new car would tell him when the tires needed air. The subject came up because I'd convinced him to use synthetic oil. His previous car had a lifter get stuck due to varnish and/or sludge from conventional oil. He only went along because I told him his MPG would go up around 2% with synthetic oil and that would pay for the added cost of synthetic. One day at lunch, he called me out, saying that his MPG has gone down 0.5% since switching to synthetic six months earlier. I asked him when was the last time he check his tire pressure. "When I had the oil changed."

Last edited by Autoputzer; 10-01-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-F View Post
Ever wonder what else they don't do right?
I'd never trust them to wash my car. When I get new tires, I don't even let them wash the sealant off of the wheels. When my car's in the shop, I hang out on the side of the building to make sure my car doesn't get sent to the wash rack and the wash monkeys. I leave three of these on my car: two stuck in the side windows and one hanging from the rear view mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150703 PleaseDoNotWash picture.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	577856  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 10-01-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post

If you mean my wife, you're right!
Old 10-01-2016, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
If you mean my wife, you're right!
That's because it's OUR job!!

Mike
2012 535i
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
Old 10-01-2016, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: lexus
lower your expectations
its a complete joke from lexus, to mercedes to bmw that its the same all over
people could care less about their work
biggest joke of all is i had a bunch of dirt/sand in my motor area for three oil changes and a valve cover gasket job
all 4 times nobody took the time to take an air gun and air off the sand or dirt
complete joke actually wrote bmw and told them thats why i am returning to lexus
Old 10-01-2016, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: F02
Lexus, at least the dealer I've dealt with, is no better. They scratched my car. But at least they admitted fault.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520dA
Well, my dealership put 1l (1.05 quarts) more oil during a routine change - QA sticker and all. Now that's a problem. Good thing I'm very OCD and always check (what I can check that is).

The guy who changes my tires doesn't even use a pressure gauge - each time my tires are at 50 psi instead of 32...

Last edited by Breach; 10-15-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 550i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe39lover View Post
lower your expectations
its a complete joke from lexus, to mercedes to bmw that its the same all over
people could care less about their work
biggest joke of all is i had a bunch of dirt/sand in my motor area for three oil changes and a valve cover gasket job
all 4 times nobody took the time to take an air gun and air off the sand or dirt
complete joke actually wrote bmw and told them thats why i am returning to lexus
Speaking of expectations... To be fair, oil service generally does not include detailing your dirty under hood area.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search