Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i 6 Speed
Compass and the "Genius"

No compass in the '15 550?? An 80k car with no compass? Coded by Rich (who gets a standing ovation in my opinion) and vuala (voila)..the compass appears. Interesting how it's there, but BMW in the their illustrious wisdom, have decided not to activate it in the 550's. WTF!!??

Also, in BMW's wisdom is this new term "genius" who I found, knows little about the new 550? What's worse, when the sales team refer to him, it's not even by name, but "let's ask the genius". Laughable.

Despite my qualms, I love the BMW name and build. Don't see myself straying any time soon.
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff731 View Post
No compass in the '15 550?? An 80k car with no compass? Coded by Rich (who gets a standing ovation in my opinion) and vuala (voila)..the compass appears. Interesting how it's there, but BMW in the their illustrious wisdom, have decided not to activate it in the 550's. WTF!!??

Also, in BMW's wisdom is this new term "genius" who I found, knows little about the new 550? What's worse, when the sales team refer to him, it's not even by name, but "let's ask the genius". Laughable.

Despite my qualms, I love the BMW name and build. Don't see myself straying any time soon.
Agree re Rich. He is just so good.
Re the Genius, this varies dealer by dealer. the one I had when my '14 was delivered was actually quite knowledgeable, helpful, and on the mark. Of course, after being on this forum, and having grabbed a copy of the owners manual (I am one of those who actually reads the manual), I already knew most of what he said.
Other: '08 E61
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: Too many to list, but includes 3,5,7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, an Alfa Romeo, an MGB, Toyota Celica, Saab, Volvo, and others (yes I am old )
Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
Agree re Rich. He is just so good.
Re the Genius, this varies dealer by dealer. the one I had when my '14 was delivered was actually quite knowledgeable, helpful, and on the mark. Of course, after being on this forum, and having grabbed a copy of the owners manual (I am one of those who actually reads the manual), I already knew most of what he said.
Genius at my dealer is terrible.

I can replace them with a PDF.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:34 AM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Me thinks BMW associated too closely with Apple at their "Genius Bar"(TM)

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old 07-29-2015, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
What compass might this be that can be programmed to appear? Can you give a little bit more info on this please?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 XI Sport
The compass in the rear view mirror- I think its useless if you have the Nav-bottom line, it makes the interior look fancy.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1830 View Post
The compass in the rear view mirror- I think its useless if you have the Nav-bottom line, it makes the interior look fancy.
How does one code the compass in the mirror to appear? I don't think it is possible.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:

Can you provide a bit more detail as to where the compass appears?
- In the Rear View Mirror ?
or someplace else?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
or someplace else?
I think he refers to the idrive solution borrowed from F25 with x-drive as seen in this video:
This can be codded indeed as discussed here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-741247.html. However results are not entirely as expected as one of the users describes:

Weird side-effect of this that I noticed this morning. Was using Nav Guidance, and it was very confused. The little circle with the arrow that represents the car always had the arrow pointing in the wrong direction. so I would appear to be going down the road sideways or backwards. This really screwed up the navigation directions as apparently it factors direction of travel in along with actual GPS location. Eventually I figured out the that Nav arrow was pointing in whatever direction the xDrive compass was indicating. So I could be traveling east, xDrive compass thinks I'm going west, arrow on Nav screen is pointing west, and car appears to be going down the road backward. So apparently if you turn on COMPASS, Nav starts to use it, but it needs to be calibrated, and I don't know how to do that. Again, compass in mirror is correct.

That tread is a bit old, and I am quite curious if the OP is seeing the same sort of issues.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Without coding, if you change your display to show current position, it will show you which way is north. Not a true compass, but good enough in my opinion. It will show the road you are traveling on and the coordinates as well.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i
Recently had a 2015 X5 as a loaner, the compass showed up in the dash. I hope that could be coded in
Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i 6 Speed
When coded for, the compass will appear right above the odometer. You toggle with the tip of the wiper stalk and there it is. I find the compass better than the nav, as the nav only gives you the direction of travel. Code for these reasons alone - Compass, open and close your trunk from FOB, retract side mirrors when locking car, disable gongs, neat M video upon start up, etc, etc.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
When coded for, the compass will appear right above the odometer. You toggle with the tip of the wiper stalk and there it is. I find the compass better than the nav, as the nav only gives you the direction of travel. Code for these reasons alone - Compass, open and close your trunk from FOB, retract side mirrors when locking car, disable gongs, neat M video upon start up, etc, etc.

Do you have a link for the code? I've already done the others save the "M" logo as I don't have an "M" car.

Mine is a 2012 w/CIC.....

2012 535i
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
Old 07-30-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Do you have a link for the code? I've already done the others save the "M" logo as I don't have an "M" car.

Second this request: I did the whole bunch of coding mods to my '14 NBT car yet never heard about such feature. Can one have it without extended instrument cluster?
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1830 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iklo View Post
How does one code the compass in the mirror to appear? I don't think it is possible.
The is no Compass in F10 Mirror. F3x, and I assume F8x, has one, that can be enabled with paper click in bottom of mirror.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM

Quote:
What compass might this be that can be programmed to appear? Can you give a little bit more info on this please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
or someplace else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post

Quote:
Second this request: I did the whole bunch of coding mods to my '14 NBT car yet never heard about such feature. Can one have it without extended instrument cluster?
KOMBI => KOMPASS_GRAPH_ENABLE = aktiv - Enable Compass in Instrument Cluster above odometer.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
KOMBI => KOMPASS_GRAPH_ENABLE = aktiv - Enable Compass in Instrument Cluster above odometer.
Yep, worked like a charm. Thanks, Shawn!
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
Familienwappen

Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Is this part of the scrollable features for this area or a permanent display?

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i
Quote:
Hi Shawn,
Can't seem to find KOMPASS in KOMBI. Is it available on a 2012 F10 CIC? Am I looking in the wrong place? What is the full path?
Thanks as usual.
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMel View Post
Is this part of the scrollable features for this area or a permanent display?
Scrollable.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAL View Post
Hi Shawn,
Can't seem to find KOMPASS in KOMBI. Is it available on a 2012 F10 CIC? Am I looking in the wrong place? What is the full path?
Thanks as usual.
I think so, although newer firmware is likely needed.

If by full path, you mean the section number too, I never refer to them. They vary from CAFD to CAFD.

What is name of your Kombi CAFD?

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I think so, although newer firmware is likely needed.

If by full path, you mean the section number too, I never refer to them. They vary from CAFD to CAFD.

What is name of your Kombi CAFD?
CAF [KOMBI L6 BO]

Is this what you're looking for?
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

Quote:
CAF [KOMBI L6 BO]

Is this what you're looking for?
No, the actual CAFD File name. What is it?

You have basic Kombi though, and that might be an issue. Maybe 6WA / 6WB is needed.

Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

Quote:
No, the actual CAFD File name. What is it?

You have basic Kombi though, and that might be an issue. Maybe 6WA / 6WB is needed.
Try this: CAFD_00000069_009_001_004

I have 6WA

Last edited by NAL; Yesterday at 02:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Try this: CAFD_00000069_009_001_004

I have 6WA
It is not in cafd_00000069.caf.009_001_004; however, it is in the latest cafd_00000069.caf.010_001_150. So, new firmware is needed.