Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-28-2015, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 5
Rear View Camera: standard equipment for 2016 models?

Do you know if all BMWs will have rear view camera as standard equipment for 2016 models?
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2015, 02:36 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Right now, you need to order PDC for $750 in order to get the additional $400 rear camera. Unless they make the camera available without PDC, and the camera becomes standard, expect the base prices to increase significantly. My Individual paint required PDC so I opted to spend the extra $400 on the camera. Otherwise, I would not spend almost $1200 for the camera. I thought I heard US is making rear cameras mandatory in a couple years.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-28-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i GranCoupe
i thought by US Law in 2016 it has to be standard?
Old 02-28-2015, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredsaint View Post
i thought by US Law in 2016 it has to be standard?
The law takes a phased approach. 10% of a manufacturers cars have to have rear view cameras in 2016, 40% in 2017, 100% in 2018.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicendeavor View Post
The law takes a phased approach. 10% of a manufacturers cars have to have rear view cameras in 2016, 40% in 2017, 100% in 2018.
KNowing BMW, they will charge for it till the bitter end. Also wouldn't be surprised if they make the standard camera a very bare bones version (no guidelines, lower resolution, etc) and then charge extra for an "enhanced reareview camera".

At the very least they'll probably have to make some software and hardware changes since they currently have PDC and the camera tied together. I'm sure they wont want ot include PDC as a standard feature because it would raise the base price too much.

Last edited by bmw325; 03-02-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
This brings up a question..... I have PDC and no camera but was thinking of adding one. I find the PDC VERY informative and was curious if the camera added that much functionality. I really like the visual the PDC shows; but that could be working 30+ years with a radar display. Granted, I can't see WHAT is behind me, but isn't that what mirrors are for?

Thoughts??
Old 03-02-2015, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
This brings up a question..... I have PDC and no camera but was thinking of adding one. I find the PDC VERY informative and was curious if the camera added that much functionality. I really like the visual the PDC shows; but that could be working 30+ years with a radar display. Granted, I can't see WHAT is behind me, but isn't that what mirrors are for?

Thoughts??
I've grown to really like the camera. It also gets info from PDC overlayed on it plus guidelines which are nice. The F10 doesnt have the best rearward visibilty and in certain situations the camera really helps. If you already have PDC, I dont think it is too costly to add the camera from what i understand.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
I've grown to really like the camera. It also gets info from PDC overlayed on it plus guidelines which are nice. The F10 doesnt have the best rearward visibilty and in certain situations the camera really helps. If you already have PDC, I dont think it is too costly to add the camera from what i understand.
+1. I like the front and rear sonar capabilities of PDC, but the camera lets me actually see the wall or other obstacle behind me. As I noted earlier the extra $400 cost seemed worthwhile since I already had PDC. Also I guess everyone who has PDC realizes the tones are different for the front and rear sensors, so you get to know how to differentiate even when not viewing the display.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 03-02-2015, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
+1. I like the front and rear sonar capabilities of PDC, but the camera lets me actually see the wall or other obstacle behind me. As I noted earlier the extra $400 cost seemed worthwhile since I already had PDC. Also I guess everyone who has PDC realizes the tones are different for the front and rear sensors, so you get to know how to differentiate even when not viewing the display.
As an add-on it's in the neighborhood of $700......
Old 03-02-2015, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i GranCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
KNowing BMW, they will charge for it till the bitter end. Also wouldn't be surprised if they make the standard camera a very bare bones version (no guidelines, lower resolution, etc) and then charge extra for an "enhanced reareview camera".

At the very least they'll probably have to make some software and hardware changes since they currently have PDC and the camera tied together. I'm sure they wont want ot include PDC as a standard feature because it would raise the base price too much.
they'll have a black and white
Old 03-02-2015, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
I've got both after using PDC by itself for years. The camera is valuable for seeing what's going on behind. But it also requires you to look forward rather than rearward to view it. It would be much more valuable if the screen could somehow be placed in the rear of the car so you could see both the actual view and the televised view at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post

Thoughts??

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 03-04-2015, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
I've got both after using PDC by itself for years. The camera is valuable for seeing what's going on behind. But it also requires you to look forward rather than rearward to view it. It would be much more valuable if the screen could somehow be placed in the rear of the car so you could see both the actual view and the televised view at the same time.
Some loaners had rear view cameras, and my usage seemed to be a quick glance of the camera to scan for immediate obstruction but then turn head and backup the old fashion. Backing up without visual confirmation does not feel safe to me(plus age-old habits too).

It is somewhat odd to mount the rear view camera in the back, unless it is some kind of "immersion" tech that allows user to see through the backseats/trunks/metal plates in 3D.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
I do as you do -- look at the screen then turn and look out the rear window. I'd much rather just turn around and see everything at the same time. I see people backing up using their only mirrors all the time and it makes me wonder where they learned how to drive. Having the display in front reinforces that bad behavior. Maybe they could have a flip down screen like you see in the cabins of 757s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Some loaners had rear view cameras, and my usage seemed to be a quick glance of the camera to scan for immediate obstruction but then turn head and backup the old fashion. Backing up without visual confirmation does not feel safe to me(plus age-old habits too).

It is somewhat odd to mount the rear view camera in the back, unless it is some kind of "immersion" tech that allows user to see through the backseats/trunks/metal plates in 3D.

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 03-04-2015, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
I do as you do -- look at the screen then turn and look out the rear window. I'd much rather just turn around and see everything at the same time. I see people backing up using their only mirrors all the time and it makes me wonder where they learned how to drive. Having the display in front reinforces that bad behavior. Maybe they could have a flip down screen like you see in the cabins of 757s.
I tried to turn and envision where the flip down screen can be, e.g. around dome light, pop up from behind driver/passenger headrest, or rear headrest(too far to see?). None seems logical and useful, maybe that's what the Munich engineers(and other auto makers too) realized and decided to just reuse the Nav screen. It may mean one day the "good" behavior would be to stare forward at the screen and trust the green/red lines for a perfect backup.