Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-29-2015, 04:16 AM
Jeff731 Jeff731 is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2010 550i 6 Speed
Compass and the "Genius"

No compass in the '15 550?? An 80k car with no compass? Coded by Rich (who gets a standing ovation in my opinion) and vuala (voila)..the compass appears. Interesting how it's there, but BMW in the their illustrious wisdom, have decided not to activate it in the 550's. WTF!!??

Also, in BMW's wisdom is this new term "genius" who I found, knows little about the new 550? What's worse, when the sales team refer to him, it's not even by name, but "let's ask the genius". Laughable.

Despite my qualms, I love the BMW name and build. Don't see myself straying any time soon.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 07-29-2015, 06:27 AM
weinschela weinschela is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York area
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 361
Mein Auto: 2014 535ix 2008 E61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff731 View Post
No compass in the '15 550?? An 80k car with no compass? Coded by Rich (who gets a standing ovation in my opinion) and vuala (voila)..the compass appears. Interesting how it's there, but BMW in the their illustrious wisdom, have decided not to activate it in the 550's. WTF!!??

Also, in BMW's wisdom is this new term "genius" who I found, knows little about the new 550? What's worse, when the sales team refer to him, it's not even by name, but "let's ask the genius". Laughable.

Despite my qualms, I love the BMW name and build. Don't see myself straying any time soon.
Agree re Rich. He is just so good.
Re the Genius, this varies dealer by dealer. the one I had when my '14 was delivered was actually quite knowledgeable, helpful, and on the mark. Of course, after being on this forum, and having grabbed a copy of the owners manual (I am one of those who actually reads the manual), I already knew most of what he said.
__________________
BMWCCA since '88
==============
'14 535i xdrive. Azurite, Cinnamon
Other: '08 E61
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: Too many to list, but includes 3,5,7 & 8 series BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, an Alfa Romeo, an MGB, Toyota Celica, Saab, Volvo, and others (yes I am old )
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 AM
lindros2 lindros2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 724
Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinschela View Post
Agree re Rich. He is just so good.
Re the Genius, this varies dealer by dealer. the one I had when my '14 was delivered was actually quite knowledgeable, helpful, and on the mark. Of course, after being on this forum, and having grabbed a copy of the owners manual (I am one of those who actually reads the manual), I already knew most of what he said.
Genius at my dealer is terrible.

I can replace them with a PDF.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-29-2015, 10:34 AM
MSgtMel's Avatar
MSgtMel MSgtMel is offline
Familienwappen
Location: nicht zu hause
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 684
Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Me thinks BMW associated too closely with Apple at their "Genius Bar"(TM)
__________________

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-29-2015, 12:30 PM
iklo iklo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rancho Bernardo, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 208
Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
What compass might this be that can be programmed to appear? Can you give a little bit more info on this please?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Ant1830 Ant1830 is offline
Registered User
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: 2011 535 XI Sport
The compass in the rear view mirror- I think its useless if you have the Nav-bottom line, it makes the interior look fancy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-29-2015, 01:07 PM
iklo iklo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rancho Bernardo, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 208
Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1830 View Post
The compass in the rear view mirror- I think its useless if you have the Nav-bottom line, it makes the interior look fancy.
How does one code the compass in the mirror to appear? I don't think it is possible.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-2015, 02:15 PM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 437
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff731 View Post
No compass in the '15 550?? An 80k car with no compass? Coded by Rich (who gets a standing ovation in my opinion) and vuala (voila)..the compass appears. Interesting how it's there, but BMW in the their illustrious wisdom, have decided not to activate it in the 550's. WTF!!??

Also, in BMW's wisdom is this new term "genius" who I found, knows little about the new 550? What's worse, when the sales team refer to him, it's not even by name, but "let's ask the genius". Laughable.

Despite my qualms, I love the BMW name and build. Don't see myself straying any time soon.
Can you provide a bit more detail as to where the compass appears?
- In the Rear View Mirror ?
or someplace else?
__________________
-
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-2015, 02:40 PM
iklo iklo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rancho Bernardo, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 208
Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Can you provide a bit more detail as to where the compass appears?
- In the Rear View Mirror ?
or someplace else?
I think he refers to the idrive solution borrowed from F25 with x-drive as seen in this video:
.
This can be codded indeed as discussed here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-741247.html. However results are not entirely as expected as one of the users describes:

Weird side-effect of this that I noticed this morning. Was using Nav Guidance, and it was very confused. The little circle with the arrow that represents the car always had the arrow pointing in the wrong direction. so I would appear to be going down the road sideways or backwards. This really screwed up the navigation directions as apparently it factors direction of travel in along with actual GPS location. Eventually I figured out the that Nav arrow was pointing in whatever direction the xDrive compass was indicating. So I could be traveling east, xDrive compass thinks I'm going west, arrow on Nav screen is pointing west, and car appears to be going down the road backward. So apparently if you turn on COMPASS, Nav starts to use it, but it needs to be calibrated, and I don't know how to do that. Again, compass in mirror is correct.


That tread is a bit old, and I am quite curious if the OP is seeing the same sort of issues.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 PM
alewifebp's Avatar
alewifebp alewifebp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,017
Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Without coding, if you change your display to show current position, it will show you which way is north. Not a true compass, but good enough in my opinion. It will show the road you are traveling on and the coordinates as well.
__________________
ED on 7/18/2014: 2014 550i, Space Gray, Mocha. M Sport, Cold Weather, DAP, Executive, Lighting
PCD on 9/6/2011: 2011 550i, DSB, black/oyster. Prem 2, Conv, Ventilated, HUD, Sport, DHP, SAT
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-30-2015, 07:51 AM
4MULA_1 4MULA_1 is offline
Registered User
Location: TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: LCI 550i
Recently had a 2015 X5 as a loaner, the compass showed up in the dash. I hope that could be coded in
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Jeff731 Jeff731 is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2010 550i 6 Speed
When coded for, the compass will appear right above the odometer. You toggle with the tip of the wiper stalk and there it is. I find the compass better than the nav, as the nav only gives you the direction of travel. Code for these reasons alone - Compass, open and close your trunk from FOB, retract side mirrors when locking car, disable gongs, neat M video upon start up, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-30-2015, 01:50 PM
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
ezaircon4jc ezaircon4jc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 402
Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff731 View Post
When coded for, the compass will appear right above the odometer. You toggle with the tip of the wiper stalk and there it is. I find the compass better than the nav, as the nav only gives you the direction of travel. Code for these reasons alone - Compass, open and close your trunk from FOB, retract side mirrors when locking car, disable gongs, neat M video upon start up, etc, etc.

Do you have a link for the code? I've already done the others save the "M" logo as I don't have an "M" car.

Mine is a 2012 w/CIC.....
__________________

2012 535i
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-30-2015, 03:00 PM
iklo iklo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rancho Bernardo, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 208
Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Do you have a link for the code? I've already done the others save the "M" logo as I don't have an "M" car.

Mine is a 2012 w/CIC.....
Second this request: I did the whole bunch of coding mods to my '14 NBT car yet never heard about such feature. Can one have it without extended instrument cluster?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Yesterday, 05:53 AM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,732
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1830 View Post
The compass in the rear view mirror- I think its useless if you have the Nav-bottom line, it makes the interior look fancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iklo View Post
How does one code the compass in the mirror to appear? I don't think it is possible.
The is no Compass in F10 Mirror. F3x, and I assume F8x, has one, that can be enabled with paper click in bottom of mirror.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,732
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by iklo View Post
What compass might this be that can be programmed to appear? Can you give a little bit more info on this please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Can you provide a bit more detail as to where the compass appears?
- In the Rear View Mirror ?
or someplace else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Do you have a link for the code? I've already done the others save the "M" logo as I don't have an "M" car.

Mine is a 2012 w/CIC.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by iklo View Post
Second this request: I did the whole bunch of coding mods to my '14 NBT car yet never heard about such feature. Can one have it without extended instrument cluster?
KOMBI => KOMPASS_GRAPH_ENABLE = aktiv - Enable Compass in Instrument Cluster above odometer.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
iklo iklo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rancho Bernardo, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 208
Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
KOMBI => KOMPASS_GRAPH_ENABLE = aktiv - Enable Compass in Instrument Cluster above odometer.
Yep, worked like a charm. Thanks, Shawn!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
MSgtMel's Avatar
MSgtMel MSgtMel is offline
Familienwappen
Location: nicht zu hause
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 684
Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
Is this part of the scrollable features for this area or a permanent display?
__________________

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
NAL NAL is offline
Registered User
Location: Boca Raton, FL
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: '12 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
KOMBI => KOMPASS_GRAPH_ENABLE = aktiv - Enable Compass in Instrument Cluster above odometer.
Hi Shawn,
Can't seem to find KOMPASS in KOMBI. Is it available on a 2012 F10 CIC? Am I looking in the wrong place? What is the full path?
Thanks as usual.
__________________
Boca Raton, FL, USA
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
iklo iklo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rancho Bernardo, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 208
Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMel View Post
Is this part of the scrollable features for this area or a permanent display?
Scrollable.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,732
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAL View Post
Hi Shawn,
Can't seem to find KOMPASS in KOMBI. Is it available on a 2012 F10 CIC? Am I looking in the wrong place? What is the full path?
Thanks as usual.
I think so, although newer firmware is likely needed.

If by full path, you mean the section number too, I never refer to them. They vary from CAFD to CAFD.

What is name of your Kombi CAFD?
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
NAL NAL is offline
Registered User
Location: Boca Raton, FL
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: '12 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I think so, although newer firmware is likely needed.

If by full path, you mean the section number too, I never refer to them. They vary from CAFD to CAFD.

What is name of your Kombi CAFD?
CAF [KOMBI L6 BO]

Is this what you're looking for?
__________________
Boca Raton, FL, USA
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,732
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAL View Post
CAF [KOMBI L6 BO]

Is this what you're looking for?
No, the actual CAFD File name. What is it?

You have basic Kombi though, and that might be an issue. Maybe 6WA / 6WB is needed.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM
NAL NAL is offline
Registered User
Location: Boca Raton, FL
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: '12 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
No, the actual CAFD File name. What is it?

You have basic Kombi though, and that might be an issue. Maybe 6WA / 6WB is needed.
Try this: CAFD_00000069_009_001_004

I have 6WA
__________________
Boca Raton, FL, USA

Last edited by NAL; Yesterday at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
shawnsheridan's Avatar
shawnsheridan shawnsheridan is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,732
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAL View Post
Try this: CAFD_00000069_009_001_004

I have 6WA
It is not in cafd_00000069.caf.009_001_004; however, it is in the latest cafd_00000069.caf.010_001_150. So, new firmware is needed.
__________________

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms