What did you drive before and why f10? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
What did you drive before and why f10?

What have you guys owned before buying the f10, and what made you choose this car - what sort of driver does the f10 chassis attract? Here in Toronto seems like the relaxed executive Mercedes type drive it...I drive mine somewhat aggressively. It understeers and had too much body flop around tight, low speed corners but this chassis is an absolute star around high speed sweeping corners. All in all the drivetrain, RWD chassis and tuning still makes this vehicle enjoyable to drive. I really only bought this car for the rare 2011 528i n52 configuration.
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
2000, 2006 & 2006 Lincoln LS'. It was the closest thing to a BMW that America made until Cadillac caught up with the CTS. Lincoln stopped making repair parts so keeping the LS' repaired was getting tough; in fact before I sold them I had the last 4 shocks sitting in my garage.

Anyway... RWD (a correctly facing engine and weight distribution) was a requirement so my choices were limited. I refuse to buy GM for various reasons and I don't trust Chrysler's longevity nor their quality. The only thing Ford made was a Mustang and I've been there (a 1965) done that. That left Infiniti, Lexus, Jaguar, MB and BMW. After a lot of research I narrowed it down to the XF and 535i. The XF had the edge with the cooled seats (I REALLY miss them from my LS) but I couldn't get over the low position of the NAV screen. That left the BMW. I also liked the BMW's styling better. I was looking at the V8 until I read about it's problems and decided on the straight-6. I couldn't be happier!

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
Old 06-01-2017, 09:39 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

Nice. Are you a spirited driver? For the most part, I like the handling of my car. There's a bit too much body roll and the initial turn in is a little slow, but it's a competent handling vehicle. I'm very fortunate to have found RWD here in Toronto. Good Rwd options are very limited these days
Old 06-01-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
Nice. Are you a spirited driver? For the most part, I like the handling of my car. There's a bit too much body roll and the initial turn in is a little slow, but it's a competent handling vehicle. I'm very fortunate to have found RWD here in Toronto. Good Rwd options are very limited these days
Little bit . All I can say is driving the 1 along the California coast (with the LS) I "chased" 2 Mustangs and a motorcycle into the turn-outs 'cause they were going too slow! I like to take those curve cautionary speeds at twice the posted speed. As I tell my wife, anyone can go fast straight! It's the twisties that get the adrenalin flowing. Since I had to retire I don't get my "fix" at work anymore so I have to get it on less than straight roads! And I want to die in my sleep; not like my passengers screaming in abject fear!!

Mike
Old 06-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

"Enter the corner at twice the posted speed" "nothing gets my adrenaline going like the twisters"

Oh man... I couldn't relate any better then that. It's very true. Nothing makes me more happy then executing a perfect manouver in traffic or attacking your favourite corner. I think in the future I'm going to be really happy with an LSD, coilovers and sway bars. I wish I could get a supercharger. Maybe one day catless headers...

Old 06-02-2017, 02:56 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
here's a bit of my story. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=671782

Coming from E39's, to this day still think it's the best 5. So why the F10? First, chalk it up to the bad luck I had with my last car as it was for some reason an accident magnet and falling apart every other month and there were no better examples in the E39 market. Second, the E60 was a joke to look at although being a great handling car. And the 550 variant of the F10 because of torque and not wanting that 'should have got the 550' every time I need the power.

All things considered, it's a wonderful car but it lacks the raw excitement the E generation delivered. This car will absolutely out perform any of my previous 5's but does it in a more isolated and clinical way.

In daily city driving the F10's are simply too big to really make them feel sporty. I've got IAS which is a life saver for any F10 owner not intending to drive like a grandma and along with the right suspension setup with Sport mode - can be pretty close to E gen old school BMW standards.

Where this car really shines though is on the freeway at 150+ Kph - amazing ride - punch the N63 and it moves - that's where this one compensates by giving me that big grin on those occasions as opposed to the normal sized grin the E39 gave me in between high-speed lengthy commutes.

sorry for the long post but thanks for reading.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive MSport
Quote:
What have you guys owned before buying the f10, and what made you choose this car - what sort of driver does the f10 chassis attract? Here in Toronto seems like the relaxed executive Mercedes type drive it...I drive mine somewhat aggressively. It understeers and had too much body flop around tight, low speed corners but this chassis is an absolute star around high speed sweeping corners. All in all the drivetrain, RWD chassis and tuning still makes this vehicle enjoyable to drive. I really only bought this car for the rare 2011 528i n52 configuration.
I wanted a BMW 5 series as a college student in the early 90's. I aspired to be a project manager and perhaps owner of a company and pictured the car as the executive sedan (with a soul) that I would buy when I had "made it". I ended up driving a couple different Grand Prix Coupes back in the day, perhaps because I subconsciously wanted that pair of grills on the front of my car. In many ways, those cars were a poor man's BMW. Pontiac marketed their cars as "Driving Excitement" and they were definitely tuned to be quick with the throttle and as fun as they could be with their relatively limited engines and chassis overall.

By the time I had reached the point where I could afford a 3 year old 5 series, the Bangle butt cars were the version available and the E39's were at the awkward age where they cost a little too much for the potential troubles that always lurk under the hood of an 8 year old BMW. I did test drive a 2000 BMW M5 about 6 years ago that was reasonably priced. I didn't buy it for two reasons. 1) It was a bit of a brute and no fun to drive in traffic. People who long for the E39 never drove an M5 in stop and go urban traffic. 2) Although the guy who owned it was obsessive about the car, it had thousands of dollars in repairs needed to get it back to showroom (or even close) condition.

I also test drove a 2008 535xi back in 2011. It had the misfortune of being for sale when the F10's were the new hotness and it looked terrible (to my eyes) in comparison. I couldn't pull the trigger on it. When I got serious about looking at a BMW again in 2013, I had reached a point where even though I could afford a brand new one, it just wasn't in my DNA to spend that kind of money, so I looked at used ones again. Unfortunately, the Wichita market was overpriced on used 5 series at the time. Today, you can buy a 3 year old BMW with a small amount of warranty left in the mid $30's. Back in 2013 and early 2014, I couldn't find one for less than $45k. I wanted to get a BMW so I bought an E90 in the mid $20's and realized that I loved the way that the cars drive.

As prices on F10 sedans have dropped as SUV popularity rises again, I bought my car last year. I still view the car as the one that you drive when you've made it as a manager but you still want a car that is somewhat athletic. The design aesthetic of the car is the right balance of sport and luxury for my taste. Audi's are too bland and Mercedes look like they spent too much time in the wind tunnel and not enough time in the design studio. Infiniti is guilty of the same thing. I used to like the Acura TL but their design change in 2009 was not to my liking. The F10 isn't as geared towards the driving experience as the older BMW's but to some degree, that is fine for me because I like a car that drives well, but I'm old enough that I don't need a car that handles well when it's ass end is hanging out in a curve because I don't drive that way anymore. I'm part of the problem that BMW faces and I'm the guy they are marketing too.

Give me a big, comfortable brute of a car that can go 0-60 in the low 5's, handles ok but still soaks up the bumps and is easy to drive in traffic and I'm happy.

2013 535i XDrive
M Sport Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package
Rear View Camera, Comfort Seats, Ash Grain Wood Trim, Parking Distance Control
Navigation System, Premium Audio System

==============
Other: 08 Silverado Crew Cab Z-71, 06 Mustang GT Convertible
Past: 328xi, Silverado, S-10 Blazer, Grand Prix (x2), Camaro, Accord and yes.......Chevrolet Vega!

Last edited by Flatland328; 06-02-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
We had an 07 Banglenot and bought the F10 because it is so refreshing to get back in something that looks like a real BMW instead of a pumpkin coach.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550xi M Sport
I put 183k miles on a Toyota FJ Cruiser before I bought my 550. Needless to say they're slightly different vehicles.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 AM
In my own little world

Mein Auto: '14 535i xDrive M Sport
I came from a Lexus RX350 (which still own) and a Buick Regal Turbo (which is sold). Before that I've never had a SUV. My list of cars has been:

1986 Austin Metro Mayfair - http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20130306174417
(not quite that one, but that color, mine was a little nicer model)

1991 Renault Clio RT - http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/lQUAAOSwAL9UgycE/$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

1992 Vauxhall Astra LS Hi-Torq - http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8142/...b7f0e18aa5.jpg

1991 Audo 80 Sport - http://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/vehicle_840.JPG

1993 Ford Mondeo LX - http://image.motortrend.com/f/wot/fo...ee-quarter.jpg

1994 BMW 318i - http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-co...w_318_1991.jpg

1996 Peugeot 406 GLX - http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0004_large.jpg

1999 Honda Accord SE Exec (Acura TSX) - http://images.parkers.bauercdn.com/p...ord_saloon.jpg

2003 Acura TL Type-S - http://www.fastcarsx.com/wp-content/...pic-45558.jpeg

2001 Lexus IS - http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploa...us/5980872.jpg

2003 BMW 330ci Convertible - http://www.toomanysecrets.net/forum_images/BMW_1.jpg http://www.toomanysecrets.net/forum_images/BMW_2.jpg http://www.toomanysecrets.net/forum_images/BMW_3.jpg (Actual Car)

2001 Honda Accord SE Exec (Acura TSX) - Owned at same time as BMW - http://www.toomanysecrets.net/forum_...ront_small.jpg http://www.toomanysecrets.net/forum_...ide1_small.jpg http://www.toomanysecrets.net/forum_...back_small.jpg (Actual Car)

2010 Acura TSX Tech - http://images.thecarconnection.com/l...00194695_l.jpg

2011 Buick Regal T07 Russelheim - https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/b..._oem_1_500.jpg

2013 Lexus RX350 - http://tcblog.truecar.com/wp-content..._rearview1.jpg

Obviously those are not images of my actual cars in general.

So had a mix over the years. I like to buy what I feel is the best car that suits my needs at the time, and the F10 checked that box

2014 535i xDrive M-Sport, Adaptive LED, CWP, DA, DA+, Multi-Contour Seats, Soft Close Doors, Ceramic Controls, HK Audio

Last edited by Kryten; 06-02-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Certified N52 Molestor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland328 View Post
I wanted a BMW 5 series as a college student in the early 90's. I aspired to be a project manager and perhaps owner of a company and pictured the car as the executive sedan (with a soul) that I would buy when I had "made it". I ended up driving a couple different Grand Prix Coupes back in the day, perhaps because I subconsciously wanted that pair of grills on the front of my car. In many ways, those cars were a poor man's BMW. Pontiac marketed their cars as "Driving Excitement" and they were definitely tuned to be quick with the throttle and as fun as they could be with their relatively limited engines and chassis overall.

By the time I had reached the point where I could afford a 3 year old 5 series, the Bangle butt cars were the version available and the E39's were at the awkward age where they cost a little too much for the potential troubles that always lurk under the hood of an 8 year old BMW. I did test drive a 2000 BMW M5 about 6 years ago that was reasonably priced. I didn't buy it for two reasons. 1) It was a bit of a brute and no fun to drive in traffic. People who long for the E39 never drove an M5 in stop and go urban traffic. 2) Although the guy who owned it was obsessive about the car, it had thousands of dollars in repairs needed to get it back to showroom (or even close) condition.

I also test drove a 2008 535xi back in 2011. It had the misfortune of being for sale when the F10's were the new hotness and it looked terrible (to my eyes) in comparison. I couldn't pull the trigger on it. When I got serious about looking at a BMW again in 2013, I had reached a point where even though I could afford a brand new one, it just wasn't in my DNA to spend that kind of money, so I looked at used ones again. Unfortunately, the Wichita market was overpriced on used 5 series at the time. Today, you can buy a 3 year old BMW with a small amount of warranty left in the mid $30's. Back in 2013 and early 2014, I couldn't find one for less than $45k. I wanted to get a BMW so I bought an E90 in the mid $20's and realized that I loved the way that the cars drive.

As prices on F10 sedans have dropped as SUV popularity rises again, I bought my car last year. I still view the car as the one that you drive when you've made it as a manager but you still want a car that is somewhat athletic. The design aesthetic of the car is the right balance of sport and luxury for my taste. Audi's are too bland and Mercedes look like they spent too much time in the wind tunnel and not enough time in the design studio. Infiniti is guilty of the same thing. I used to like the Acura TL but their design change in 2009 was not to my liking. The F10 isn't as geared towards the driving experience as the older BMW's but to some degree, that is fine for me because I like a car that drives well, but I'm old enough that I don't need a car that handles well when it's ass end is hanging out in a curve because I don't drive that way anymore. I'm part of the problem that BMW faces and I'm the guy they are marketing too.

Give me a big, comfortable brute of a car that can go 0-60 in the low 5's, handles ok but still soaks up the bumps and is easy to drive in traffic and I'm happy.
Hmm... interesting write up. Personally, I felt like I was able to easily relate with just about everything you said. So are you currently in a 5 series or do you have a 328i? Honestly, the market is really tough at this time if you are looking for a rear wheel drive sedan. I like the new Mercedes but the styling and handling is just a bit too bland for my taste. On top of that BMW's inline 6 and transmission tuning was overall better executed then Mercedes. That leaves you basically with jaguar and Infiniti. I was actually very close to buying an Infiniti m37, like just about to pull the trigger but I'm glad I didn't because it was an AWD model.

As for the f10- I absolutely adore how it looks. That and the e34 is hands down my favourite styled 5 series. The proportions, lines, sheet metal is just beautiful. The design is aggressive for such a comfortable sedan and makes a precense on the street without being overly flashy which is exactly what I wanted. The overall design of the car was a big seller for me - but what really sold me was the naturally aspirated engine. I decided to play it safe and go with a 528i, 75k Miles I've literally had no issues. It's been a very solid car.

Like you were saying above, you want something sporty but still soaks up the bumps and I feel like this is what the f10 is. It's too heavy, but i feel like it's the soft Suspension holding back on performance rather then the heavy weight of the car. Honestly, when I first got the car I didn't like how it handled. It was way too soft and floaty for my taste around low speed corners. But like you said, as soon as you go faster this car transforms. Whether you are attacking sweepers at 160km/h or cruising in a straight line the vehicle is very fun to drive. In all honesty I was also a little dissapointed that i settled with a 528i, but at least I got RWD which is extremely rare here in Toronto. I actually enjoy driving this thing in the city a lot. The gearing is well tuned to the linear torque of the straight 6 and honestly, for a 3L there is a lot of torque in the low - mid range. Like it's enough to dart in and out of traffic effortlessly yet the worst MPG I can possibly manage is 20mpg.

The 2011 528i model was RWD only which made my search easier. I would have gotten a 335 or even 535i. But I ended up with a fun to drive, reliable RWD sedan that looks beautiful at least in my eyes.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland328 View Post
...I still view the car as the one that you drive when you've made it as a manager....
I avoided mgmt at all costs! I had the best job in the FAA and had no desire (even though asked) to leave the boards! And as I was at the pay cap already there wouldn't be any money to go with the headaches!

Mike
Old 06-02-2017, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
E46 M3.

This time around I wanted a larger car with four doors. I'm married now and more social. I thought real hard about an F10 M5, even to the point of going to M School for an extended test drive. The M5 was too expensive, and too thirsty. But, the final straw, the fatal flaw, was no compact spare tire, not even an aftermarket one. (One has since become available on Bimmerzone.com, though.)

Since I was still saving $50k over a ceramic-brake equipped M5, I did treat myself to Merino leather, Multi-Contour seats, and the Dynamic Handling Package. Once I finally ditched the miserable Goodyear LS2 RFT's and replaced them with PSS's, the car's much more enjoyable. I actually prefer the bright window trim, conservative nose, and mono-colored rear bumper of the Luxury Line over the M Sport package.

The F10's actually a disappointment when it comes to cabin room. Frau Putzer's 2006 Honda Accord actually has more room in it. I'm 6' 5." By the time I fix my seat to be comfortable, nobody can sit behind me. It's also tight for me getting in and out, more so than the Accord or even my Chevy Cobalt.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 06-02-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
here's a bit of my story. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=671782

Coming from E39's, to this day still think it's the best 5. So why the F10? First, chalk it up to the bad luck I had with my last car as it was for some reason an accident magnet and falling apart every other month and there were no better examples in the E39 market. Second, the E60 was a joke to look at although being a great handling car. And the 550 variant of the F10 because of torque and not wanting that 'should have got the 550' every time I need the power.

All things considered, it's a wonderful car but it lacks the raw excitement the E generation delivered. This car will absolutely out perform any of my previous 5's but does it in a more isolated and clinical way.

In daily city driving the F10's are simply too big to really make them feel sporty. I've got IAS which is a life saver for any F10 owner not intending to drive like a grandma and along with the right suspension setup with Sport mode - can be pretty close to E gen old school BMW standards.

Where this car really shines though is on the freeway at 150+ Kph - amazing ride - punch the N63 and it moves - that's where this one compensates by giving me that big grin on those occasions as opposed to the normal sized grin the E39 gave me in between high-speed lengthy commutes.

sorry for the long post but thanks for reading.
Agreed, this car lacks the excitement and involvement of previous 5 series models. It sort of deters you from wanting to push it hard in the city. It maneuvers great particularly on throttle at speed but it feels too floaty and heavy around low speed tight corners for me. It is a beast on the highway. I like the handling of the e39 and e60 more but like someone else said, I couldn't stand the bubbly proportions of the e60 despite the fact it's a nice car.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I avoided mgmt at all costs! I had the best job in the FAA and had no desire (even though asked) to leave the boards! And as I was at the pay cap already there wouldn't be any money to go with the headaches!
It's not really about what sort of job you have anymore. I bought my 2011 528i in 2013 for 43k Canadian. Since then sedan market values have become horrific. This car is worth less then 20k Canadian right now.

Take a look how cheap you can scoop a 2011 5er for.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty34 View Post
We had an 07 Banglenot and bought the F10 because it is so refreshing to get back in something that looks like a real BMW instead of a pumpkin coach.
That's hilarious lol, pumpkin coach

100% agree though. I love BMW for bringing back the retro e34 styling and proportions.

2011 marks when BMW finally figured out how to keep styling clean almost generic sport sedans. This design language departed from whatever the e60 was and shaped what BMW's newest sedans look like.

I do like the handling of the e60. I wouldn't say it's a bad looking car, I just can't stand the bubbly proportions.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 535 x drive m sport
coming from a 2015 is350 f sport picked up a 2016 535 m sport white on black over a month ago. Wanted the bigger space and different drive. very happy with my decision
Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspoogi View Post
coming from a 2015 is350 f sport picked up a 2016 535 m sport white on black over a month ago. Wanted the bigger space and different drive. very happy with my decision
Very interesting. Please do a brief write up between the two comparing performance and driving dynamics namely:

Response and performance of the 3L turbo vs 3.5 NA and respective transmissions?

does the 5 series handle nimble and spirited in comparison to the Lexus? I assume the BMW is better on the highway?
Old 06-02-2017, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 535 x drive m sport
Quote:
Very interesting. Please do a brief write up between the two comparing performance and driving dynamics namely:

Response and performance of the 3L turbo vs 3.5 NA and respective transmissions?

does the 5 series handle nimble and spirited in comparison to the Lexus? I assume the BMW is better on the highway?
honestly i had the 328xi 2007 e92 coupe about 7 years ago ( total loss) and went to japanese since then. Had the g37 x coupe and then the is350 f sport. The is350 was a REALLY fun ride and i had the sports seats which were dope. The car was much smaller and had the sports suspension. I feel like handling was a bit better on the is350 than my current 535 . Unfortunately in my experience the is350 had too much of a lag at the line in comparison to the 535. On the highway the 535 flies without much effort but the is350 needed a push to get its engines running.

One of my biggest concerns was the small space in the is350 which was a disaster for me. Their cup holders were right in the middle console and my elbow would always get in the way.

Also, another thing i noticed was the better gas mileage i get on the 535 ( obviously) even though i tend to rough it up.

Last edited by deadspoogi; 06-02-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i X-Drive
I had a 2004 Mustang GT, with quite a bit of work done to it. I wanted something more comfortable to drive so I decided I would get a 4 door luxury car and wait until after I buy a house to get another sports car. Originally I went to the dealership to buy a 2012 Infiniti M56s, but when I got there someone else had just bought it. I test drove a G37 convertible they had but I really just didn't like it. When I was pulling back in to the dealership from the test drive I spotted a (now my) BMW 528i xDrive. I took it for a test drive and instantly fell in love. It had some scratches on the rear bumper and needed tires, so I used that to negotiate $2,000 off of the deal. The scratches just turned out to be dried tar.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

Was it all AWD? I test drove a sport G37 manual RWD and i found it to be an excellent sports sedan. Nissan/Infiniti was inspired by BMW and they can certainly build a sports sedan worthy of BMW's finest (with a manual and RWD anyways) unfortunately the engines refinement falls quite short of BMW's inline 6 but power delivery is good.

I probably would go for a 335i either way. Infiniti is decent, I like nissans RWD tuning but BMW is better quality I'd say. I ended up with one.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550i 6MT
>>1976 Pontiac Ventura 260 V8
>>1995 VW passat VR6 5-speed
>>2000 Audi A4 1.8T 5-speed

>>>>Long version, read if you want or pass this to the short version where it was stated

Grew up in the trailer park, living in a rough area with my family trying to make ends meet. Always wanted a car just to roam around and be free from captivity. I remember my dad got me the pontiac. I was 14 learning how to drive with a permit, going to school and all. Rust bucket of hell, but sure as hell run good lol. A canadian neighbor of ours brought a 1995 VW passat with a corrado VR6 swap and a manual trans. We ask for a trade since it wasn't running at the moment, a project if you will.

That's where my german automobile bug bit me and never turned back hahahaha. It was a fun car, brought alot of memories. Truly practice my driving with the manual and ended my love for automatics. I really, really dont like auto trans so all I really drove was that or other cars with a clutch. I did mods on her so it can suit my needs. Lowered, exhaust, intake, navi, etc. Fun car to be with and that VR6 sings well. Slow but still good car.

Then I was 19 until I was given the Audi A4 1.8T, fun car as well. Did alot of mods to her such as suspension, K04 turbo, J35 file GIAC tune, A6 fat five wheels, S4 parts all over. Rebuilt the engine and everything all by myself. This car is very nimble, quick, fuel effiecient and overall a fun car to run. I put in shy of 200k miles on her.

After graduating aviation school, got my A&P and started to wrench on airplanes while wrenching on cars and boats on my spare time along with small engine repair. I really love working on anything that utilizes an internal combustion engine. The Audi shows her age, 5k miles short from 300K which forced me to search for another car.

>>>>Short version starts here
I really want a car that is roomy, powerful(preferably a V8), and a MANUAL trans(even though now I can survive with the less favorable automatic). So I search for either an Audi A6, S6, S5, or equilavent. Then I stumbled on my 550i. 6-speed manual, beautiful interior, navi, and other goodies. Drove it, fell in love and got it by sheer luck and good credit score lol.
The 550i is so powerful( will be more with the JB4 Stg 2) mated to the clutch 6 speed. I have so much fun in big bertha. Roomy and much more comfortable. I do alot more long distance travels so this suit me well vs my little cars in the past. I do miss my 30+ MPG but that engine makes up for it and I still can get 20-21 mpg on her so I am okay with that.

Did I also mention that she is a six speed? I couldn't find another 550i that's a manual so that is awesome ( and bad if I want related parts lol).
Old 06-02-2017, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX M Sport
I came from an 06 e60 530xi which I loved but I needed a refresh. This is a little different but loving it more every day. I do miss the e60 sport seats though.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i Sport
First BMW: E38 2001 740il
E65 2004 745i
E60 2008 535i sport pkg
Current F10 2011 535i xdrive m sport

F10 is my favorite as it balances 7 series like interior with "near" E60 driving dynamics when in sport mode with dynamic damper control and adaptive drive (these were included in m sport pkg in 2011). After having rwd for a long time I do like the xdrive. Feels planted always. Next car would be a 14 550i if I could find a CPO with DHP for reasonable price... rare option it seems.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Certified N52 Molestor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharm View Post
First BMW: E38 2001 740il
E65 2004 745i
E60 2008 535i sport pkg
Current F10 2011 535i xdrive m sport

F10 is my favorite as it balances 7 series like interior with "near" E60 driving dynamics when in sport mode with dynamic damper control and adaptive drive (these were included in m sport pkg in 2011). After having rwd for a long time I do like the xdrive. Feels planted always. Next car would be a 14 550i if I could find a CPO with DHP for reasonable price... rare option it seems.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Agree. I I'd honestly look into a 550i if I wanted a 750i because it has the 7 interior and the body is already plenty heavy

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search