Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:45 PM
Private First Class

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i
2014 535i CPO

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a CPO 2014 535i. I found two cars that are similar:

Car #1:
Alpine White
Black Dakota
M Sports Package w/ 704 suspension
Lighting Package
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus
Luxury Seating Package
Premium Package
Harman Kardon
Ceramic Controls
M Performance Black Grills
M Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
M Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler
M Performance Stainless Steel Pedals
31,100 Miles
Built 02/2014
CPO until 03/2020

Car #2:
Jet Black
Black Dakota
M Sports Package w/ 704 suspension
Lighting Package Package
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus
ACC Stop and Go
Luxury Seating
Premium Package
Harman Kardon
Soft Close Doors
37,500 Miles
Built 03/2014
CPO until 04/2020

My concerns are:

1) The service history is similar on both cars but Car #2 has had lengthy oil change intervals at about 11-12.5k miles between all 3 oil changes whereas Car #1 has been 7-8k miles between oil changes. This worries me as I am planning on keeping the car for a while. Also Car #2 has more miles. Am I thinking too much into this?

2) Car #2 does not have BMW Apps 6NR whereas both have 6NS. Could I code in 6NR if I want to as I assume the hardware on the NBT iDrive is the same on both?

3) Car #1 does not have ACC Stop and Go and soft close doors. Are those something that is nice to have or am I better off without it as it's less to go wrong in the long run? Does frontal collision intervention work the same with or without the ACC radar?

4) The M Performance parts on Car #1 are nice but retrofittable on Car #2. It would be nice to have them from the beginning and gives the car a sporty/unique look.

If the two cars are in similar in condition, which would you guys recommend? I have been breaking my head over this but need to decide soon.

2015 X5 xDrive35i xLine /// Black Sapphire Metallic & Mocha Nappa

Last edited by BMWMacht; 02-12-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2017, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i x drive
Less miles car.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive MSport
First, do you want a Jet Black car? I have one and it looks great when it is freshly washed but shows dirt like crazy and swirl marks can be an issue if you aren't careful. Do you want a white car? Do they stamp "BMW" in large black letters on the side of a white car?

Personally, I wouldn't place value on soft close doors. They are probably fine, but it just seems like something that can cause issues in the long run on cars that are known to be finicky. The oil change intervals are probably not an issue in the big picture if you take care of the car down the road. Get a pre-purchase inspection though. The M-sport stuff is about perspective. I'm not a carbon fiber guy so it wouldn't be a selling point for me. The ACC stop and go is something that was available in a car that I missed on and is a feature that I would have liked to have. Finally, the overall mileage on the car probably isn't an issue. If it's CPO, you probably won't hit the mileage limit in either case unless you drive a tremendous amount and if you are doing that, 6,000 miles is a few months difference so why worry?

This is a highly personal choice and I don't see anything that's a dealbreaker or deal maker either way. I will say that although I like my black car and it looks great, I was surprised to realize after a few months that I missed having my blue BMW. The black car blends into the crowd in the parking lot and I miss being able to spot my Montego Blue 3 series from across the lot. White F10's with black grills look great but I would prefer one with the tan interior if I bought one. You can't go wrong with either one, but make sure that you aren't compromising on something that bugs you now because it will only amplify over time. Good luck and enjoy whatever F10 you pick.

2013 535i XDrive
M Sport Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package
Rear View Camera, Comfort Seats, Ash Grain Wood Trim, Parking Distance Control
Navigation System, Premium Audio System

==============
Other: 08 Silverado Crew Cab Z-71, 06 Mustang GT Convertible
Past: 328xi, Silverado, S-10 Blazer, Grand Prix (x2), Camaro, Accord and yes.......Chevrolet Vega!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 07 525xi E60 N52 automati
I love this thread as I'm looking into purchasing the same car but xdrive. And I definitely want white. Black is nice but a pain to keep clean and you need to know how to detail it the right way or every little imperfection shows. Don't mine me asking, what are the prices on the 2 cars?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2017, 04:46 PM
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknice91303 View Post
I love this thread as I'm looking into purchasing the same car but xdrive. And I definitely want white. Black is nice but a pain to keep clean and you need to know how to detail it the right way or every little imperfection shows. Don't mine me asking, what are the prices on the 2 cars?

The white 535i was listed at $39981 and the black 535i was listed at $37995.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Bimmerfest mobile app

Old 02-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland328 View Post
First, do you want a Jet Black car? I have one and it looks great when it is freshly washed but shows dirt like crazy and swirl marks can be an issue if you aren't careful. Do you want a white car? Do they stamp "BMW" in large black letters on the side of a white car?

Personally, I wouldn't place value on soft close doors. They are probably fine, but it just seems like something that can cause issues in the long run on cars that are known to be finicky. The oil change intervals are probably not an issue in the big picture if you take care of the car down the road. Get a pre-purchase inspection though. The M-sport stuff is about perspective. I'm not a carbon fiber guy so it wouldn't be a selling point for me. The ACC stop and go is something that was available in a car that I missed on and is a feature that I would have liked to have. Finally, the overall mileage on the car probably isn't an issue. If it's CPO, you probably won't hit the mileage limit in either case unless you drive a tremendous amount and if you are doing that, 6,000 miles is a few months difference so why worry?

This is a highly personal choice and I don't see anything that's a dealbreaker or deal maker either way. I will say that although I like my black car and it looks great, I was surprised to realize after a few months that I missed having my blue BMW. The black car blends into the crowd in the parking lot and I miss being able to spot my Montego Blue 3 series from across the lot. White F10's with black grills look great but I would prefer one with the tan interior if I bought one. You can't go wrong with either one, but make sure that you aren't compromising on something that bugs you now because it will only amplify over time. Good luck and enjoy whatever F10 you pick.
Thanks for the great thoughts. I was leaning towards the white car because I've always had blacks and dark greys but wanted something different this time around. I think the F10 5 series looks great in any color but really pops in Alpine White, especially with the M Performance parts. I also wanted the lower miles car although I'll would have liked ACC. I placed a deposit on the white 535i and should pick it up next week when I'm back in town. Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	589530
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	589531

Last edited by BMWMacht; 02-16-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:38 AM
2014 F10 535d

Mein Auto: 2014 535d MSport
There are problems with the Collision Avoidance and ACC due to a faulty sensor. Mine is at BMW now for this issue, and there is a Tech Bulletin out on it. There is another thread on this in the F10 forum. Just be advised, there's a fairly high failure rate for the camera behind the rearview mirror that is integral to both systems.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrobert View Post
There are problems with the Collision Avoidance and ACC due to a faulty sensor. Mine is at BMW now for this issue, and there is a Tech Bulletin out on it. There is another thread on this in the F10 forum. Just be advised, there's a fairly high failure rate for the camera behind the rearview mirror that is integral to both systems.
If you don't mind sharing can you tell us what were you experiencing?

2014 535i M-Sport Carbon Black on Black
Luxury Seating Package, Adaptive Lighting Package, Premium Package, Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus Package, Harmon Kardon, Active Cruise Control, Power Rear Window Sun Shade and Manual Rear Side Window Shades
Old 02-17-2017, 09:18 AM
2014 F10 535d

Mein Auto: 2014 535d MSport
Sure, I posted in the "collision avoidance" thread on page 1 or 2 of the F10 forum but to recap: Within a mile or two, I get a warning that the collision avoidance system has malfunctioned, and that I should check for a dirty sensor. This also disables ACC, which scares the crap out of you when traveling at highway speed. Took it in to the dealership, and they are working it. There is a tech bulletin out on this, citing the camera behind the rear-view mirror as the culprit. The dealership has already replaced and recalibrated that, but the error message persists. They are now trying to diagnose with help from BMW NA. Will post updates on the other thread.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrobert View Post
Sure, I posted in the "collision avoidance" thread on page 1 or 2 of the F10 forum but to recap: Within a mile or two, I get a warning that the collision avoidance system has malfunctioned, and that I should check for a dirty sensor. This also disables ACC, which scares the crap out of you when traveling at highway speed. Took it in to the dealership, and they are working it. There is a tech bulletin out on this, citing the camera behind the rear-view mirror as the culprit. The dealership has already replaced and recalibrated that, but the error message persists. They are now trying to diagnose with help from BMW NA. Will post updates on the other thread.
Thanks, I will review noted thread.

2014 535i M-Sport Carbon Black on Black
Luxury Seating Package, Adaptive Lighting Package, Premium Package, Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus Package, Harmon Kardon, Active Cruise Control, Power Rear Window Sun Shade and Manual Rear Side Window Shades
Old 02-17-2017, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMacht View Post
Thanks for the great thoughts. I was leaning towards the white car because I've always had blacks and dark greys but wanted something different this time around. I think the F10 5 series looks great in any color but really pops in Alpine White, especially with the M Performance parts. I also wanted the lower miles car although I'll would have liked ACC. I placed a deposit on the white 535i and should pick it up next week when I'm back in town. Attachment 589530
Attachment 589531

You'll have to post some good pics of the car once you have it. Congrats!

2013 535i XDrive
M Sport Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package
Rear View Camera, Comfort Seats, Ash Grain Wood Trim, Parking Distance Control
Navigation System, Premium Audio System

==============
Other: 08 Silverado Crew Cab Z-71, 06 Mustang GT Convertible
Past: 328xi, Silverado, S-10 Blazer, Grand Prix (x2), Camaro, Accord and yes.......Chevrolet Vega!
Old 02-17-2017, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Pretty cool and jazzy looking car. You'll drive it like a new car and enjoy it!
Old 02-20-2017, 09:10 AM

That's the car I'm looking to purchase next year. Looking for a 2014-2016 535xi or 550xi but MUST and I mean MUST have the MPACKAGE. lol.. does your new purchase have the easy close doors? Im curious to know how well they work. And I want the lighting package also.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 AM
In my own little world

Mein Auto: '14 535i xDrive M Sport
Quote:
That's the car I'm looking to purchase next year. Looking for a 2014-2016 535xi or 550xi but MUST and I mean MUST have the MPACKAGE. lol.. does your new purchase have the easy close doors? Im curious to know how well they work. And I want the lighting package also.

I have the soft close doors on my 2014 535i xDrive M-Sport. I am meh on them. They are a nice enough feature, but not something I would have as a must have. I really like the lighting package though, LED adaptive headlights are very nice.

2014 535i xDrive M-Sport, Adaptive LED, CWP, DA, DA+, Multi-Contour Seats, Soft Close Doors, Ceramic Controls, HK Audio
Old 02-20-2017, 09:35 AM

Yeah I definitely want the LED lighting package and the rear and front cameras. The door thing if it's on the car I'm looking at then so be it if not then no big deal not a deal breaker lol. But I'm looking in a 150 mile radius. Looking to pay cash aswell. Found some from around 30k to 38k with less then 50k miles. But I'm sure with cash I can make a much better deal.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:13 PM
In my own little world

Quote:
Yeah I definitely want the LED lighting package and the rear and front cameras. The door thing if it's on the car I'm looking at then so be it if not then no big deal not a deal breaker lol. But I'm looking in a 150 mile radius. Looking to pay cash aswell. Found some from around 30k to 38k with less then 50k miles. But I'm sure with cash I can make a much better deal.

If you are looking CPO, I recommend not all cash as there is a $1k rebate by taking finance I believe. Take some, get the $1k off, keep it 3 payments (so around 4 months total) and pay it off. And cash is not always king at a main dealer, they can make added money from finance at times. I intend to pay off my finance after 3-6 payments (enough for them not to claw anything back and to look ok on my credit).

The surround view cameras are very nice, usually part of the Driver Assistance Plus pack, that is what made my buying tough, I wanted that as a non-negotiable item and caused me to not go after many 535's and 640's. I wanted the DAP pack, not just surround view though.

2014 535i xDrive M-Sport, Adaptive LED, CWP, DA, DA+, Multi-Contour Seats, Soft Close Doors, Ceramic Controls, HK Audio

Last edited by Kryten; 02-20-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten View Post
If you are looking CPO, I recommend not all cash as there is a $1k rebate by taking finance I believe. Take some, get the $1k off, keep it 3 payments (so around 4 months total) and pay it off. And cash is not always king at a main dealer, they can make added money from finance at times. I intend to pay off my finance after 3-6 payments (enough for them not to claw anything back and to look ok on my credit).

The surround view cameras are very nice, usually part of the Driver Assistance Plus pack, that is what made my buying tough, I wanted that as a non-negotiable item and caused me to not go after many 535's and 640's. I wanted the DAP pack, not just surround view though.
If you wish to finance for a more extended period of time, BMWFS is also offering 0.9% financing on certain 2013 and 2014 CPO models, of which the 5 series is included, through the end of February 2017. You can check BMWUSA's website to confirm.

Last edited by bmrboy2008; 02-20-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Well credit is a issue of mine since my X wife gladly took loans out just before saying Oh by the way I want out lol. But it's building. I actually had a 06 E500 benz had it for not even 1 payment and a woman blew a stop sign and totaled the car. Have to have surgery on my shoulder from it. So I picked up a 07 E60 525xi first ever BMW 102k on the dash but 10 out 10 inside and out. It's beautiful car and runs great. Just did water pump and thermostat on it ( book says 4 hours, first time ever working on a bmw took me 8hrs lol) but saved a **** load of money. So yeah with settlement looking to get the 535 or 550. Still havnt made up my mind yet.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:06 PM
In my own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrboy2008 View Post
If you wish to finance for a more extended period of time, BMWFS is also offering 0.9% financing on certain 2013 and 2014 CPO models, of which the 5 series is included, through the end of February 2017. You can check BMWUSA's website to confirm.
I did 0.9%, which is why I am not too bothered about paying it off quickly.

Quote:
Well credit is a issue of mine since my X wife gladly took loans out just before saying Oh by the way I want out lol. But it's building. I actually had a 06 E500 benz had it for not even 1 payment and a woman blew a stop sign and totaled the car. Have to have surgery on my shoulder from it. So I picked up a 07 E60 525xi first ever BMW 102k on the dash but 10 out 10 inside and out. It's beautiful car and runs great. Just did water pump and thermostat on it ( book says 4 hours, first time ever working on a bmw took me 8hrs lol) but saved a **** load of money. So yeah with settlement looking to get the 535 or 550. Still havnt made up my mind yet.

Understand, from that point of view I can see why you may want to just do cash. Don't expect a big discount for cash though fro a BMW dealer.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I did 0.9%, which is why I am not too bothered about paying it off quickly.

Understand, from that point of view I can see why you may want to just do cash. Don't expect a big discount for cash though fro a BMW dealer.
Well I have looked into going to very repable auction. Dealer auction. I have a friend that has a dealer license.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search