Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Xdrive
Need Help - Car went into "Transport Mode" after replacing a part

Hi guys bit of a situation here.

So I have a 2011 BMW535i xDrive with about 59k miles on it. Around July the car started giving me issues and the infamous "drivetrain malfunction" light when I would accelerate on the highway. It would do this randomly and then also stop doing it for months and start again. When it did do it, the car just lost some power. It would still drive but I think the turbos would shut off because it just wouldn't accelerate as normal. Soon as you would turn the car on and off everything would go back to normal. Really strange.

The car is out of warranty and it honestly would happen 2 or 3 times a month so I just said whatever and kind of let it be. Finally couple weeks ago the car did it again, but this time when light came on the car lost all power and I could not accelerate at all and the car would slowly just lose speed until it stopped. This is what freaked me out. Again turned it off on side of highway and turned it back on and it was normal. Took it to the dealer and was told it was the EKPS module not reading correctly and causing the car to react incorrectly. Dealer wanted $2400 for parts and labor.

I decided to just buy the part and do it myself. It really was a simple to do, just unplug the old module and unplug new one. I thought I was a genius...

Well I go to start the car and it starts, but immediately starts to shake and within a couple seconds the car dies. Do it again, same result. I have my mechanic friend come by with his scanner and to look at everything. He plugs it in and it says the car is now in "transport mode".

He is assuming that since that piece of was replaced it triggered something with the computer putting it into transport mode - being as to why the car dies. He says its preventing the fuel from moving correctly and causing the car to die.

He said you probably need to program the part or just find a way to get into the computer and turn off "transport mode, he said he is not good with the new computer modules and fancy stuff as he is simply an old school mechanic that does great work replacing parts without having to deal with all the tech stuff involved.

Anyways, we end up putting the old EKPS module in and the car starts fine now.

MY question is, does anyone know or can lead me to where I can learn about finding out how to clear the "transport mode" setting?

I really want to put the new piece in and get it out off transport mode...

I am in the Chicagoland area and am willing to travel and pay someone who is good with programming or coding or whatever is needed to help me with this.

I know most will say well you should of just let dealer do it, but I'm fed up with putting money into this, even tho I knew this is what happens when you buy a BMW. I learned my lesson and will be leasing German cars in the future lol.

Please guys, any advice will help.
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 523i
All electronic parts needs coding and initializing after installation.
Get yourself a copy of ISTA-D and e-net cable to do that and many other things.
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Perfect example of why I will not keep a modern BMW beyond the OEM warranty.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Bimmerfest mobile app

COL(Ret), US Army
Hagerstown MD
2016 528ixdrive/MSport
2016 Corvette Stingray (Fun Car)
2013 Audi A6 (Ret)
2013 Audi A4 (Ret)
2010 Z4s30i (ED) (Ret)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)/ED/PCD
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED/PCD
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)
1985 M635 Euro (Ret)

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search