Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 550i
not if they're BMW package.
Besides, what's the point if you cannot get them for a month?
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 02-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post

looks like the people's limosine for me this weekend.
Hahah, go NYC Transit. I hate those freaking buses.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Except for when you have tire insurance. The tire insurance covers you for this but if you switch out the rims/tires you are on your own...
I have the BMW tire/wheel insurance and I swapped my RFT's for conventional ultra high performance tires. According to my SA, as long as I stick with OEM BMW wheels I am good, even though I don't have RFT's any longers the tires and rims are still covered. Although it may take a little longer for them to source the brand/size I am running now.

BTW: there is a write up in the current edition of European Car about their disastifaction with almost being stranded due to the RFT's on their GT. For those of you who care to switch from RFT's the ride is night and day - for the better!
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 02-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E61
Sorry to hear about the Goodyear run flats.

No loaner is the dealer (I thought Manhattan was a company store?)

I drive 40+/- mile to Habberstad BMW http://www.habberstadbmw.com/, they have BMW loaners and offer great service.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
I wonder where are the people who touted the RFTs as being godsend?

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I wonder where are the people who touted the RFTs as being godsend?
Tire unavailability is not limited to RFT's. Last year, there was nearly a 9 month backorder status for the Conti ExtremeContact DWS's.

Of course, being non RFT's, it wasn't as critical. I simply bought the Pilot Sport All seasons in their place. But they were more $$.

By the way, for those that really need a set, I am selling my OE Goodyears:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...57#post5847257

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i Sport
Highyo what insurance do you have????

Also did you try tire empire in staten island they are good at getting things done.

just drove down to VA and the pot holes stop in nj....they start just as you cross into NY...its a shame but NYC especially ruins vehicles like ours..

Last edited by anthony@empireleasing; 02-21-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony@empireleasing View Post

Also did you try tire empire in staten island they are good at getting things done.
i went with the third party, not by choice, but that's what paul miller BMW was offering that day (i suppose) they are called NAB (national adjustment bureau) and have said the right stuff. i still havent received a check from my FIRST 2 tires (that was early jan) and have yet to hear back on the process for the NEXT 3 tires that is currently pending. but they tell me i am covered. who knows.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i Sport
I had NAB on my 3 series...They were good at first but they got a little weird towards the end of the two years....Just make sure you dont tell them you hit the same pothole all the time they will drop you. As far as the adjuster i think when its over 700 they have to send one out. why not have paul miller drop you a loaner and have bmw flatbed your car out there??? I deal with wide world of cars they are the best. never left me hanging in the past 8 years
Old 02-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I had NAB on my 3 series...They were good at first but they got a little weird towards the end of the two years....Just make sure you dont tell them you hit the same pothole all the time they will drop you. As far as the adjuster i think when its over 700 they have to send one out. why not have paul miller drop you a loaner and have bmw flatbed your car out there??? I deal with wide world of cars they are the best. never left me hanging in the past 8 years
i got the pilot a/s sent from tirerack to epic in jersey city, swapped out the tires and got the alignment. all good. now fighting the fight with NAB etc. should see 3 * 306 back from NAB because they said they would cover the new wheels. you are correct about the adjuster, but since i was in the system, they couldn't say i DIDN'T need 3 new shoes.

they also said they will insure these tires. but there's a lot of talking and no receiving of checks yet.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
It looks like I was lucky. I recently had a tire fail and it was immediately replaced.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=520400

Edit and P.S.: I still say IMO this is more of a low profile tire issue, rather than a RF tire issue.

2014 750ix M Sport

Last edited by GHOST PROTOCOL; 02-21-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
It looks like I was lucky. I recently had a tire fail and it was immediately replaced.

Edit and P.S.: I still say IMO this is more of a low profile tire issue, rather than a RF tire issue.
I believe that from a failure standpoint its a low profile tire issue as well, and from a "pain in the butt to find a replacement" standpoint its a RFT issue.

On Order: 2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007

BMWCCA #350568
Old 02-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post

There is certainly an issue with these tires. I have gone through three in a few weeks, the first three in 20 years of driving. The last one bubbled with a moderate pothole, not even something I would have thought twice about. I have one tire that has large bubbles in two different places....

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 02-21-2011, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535 x Drive
Quote:

just drove down to VA and the pot holes stop in nj....they start just as you cross into NY...its a shame but NYC especially ruins vehicles like ours..
Where are the potholes in NJ stopping?

Apparently you haven't seen the potholes I have seen in Central NJ. They start as soon as I pull out of my development. Township patched them last Thursday. That lasted a day with the weather being warm and now cold again. I could go on and on.....
Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beashonda View Post
Where are the potholes in NJ stopping?

Apparently you haven't seen the potholes I have seen in Central NJ. They start as soon as I pull out of my development. Township patched them last Thursday. That lasted a day with the weather being warm and now cold again. I could go on and on.....
where are you in central jersey? i golf out there and am looking for a hand wash joint when it gets nice out

Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi
Quote:

Just this winter I have begun to travel from New England to Upstate New York and I can say the same thing. As soon as you cross over to New York you run into much worse road conditions. I am frequently working the Albany area and I am still driving my company car, a four wheel drive Ford Escape, and the potholes I have seen and dodged look like bombs went off in the area. I originally thought I would put my 535xi into service but after seeing the condition of roads in New York there is no way I would do that. Next to New York the worst roads I have seen were in Newfoundland, Canada ten years ago. It amazes me that New York taxes its population so highly and yet maintains its roads so poorly. It could be that they are constructed poorly. New Hampshire, where I live, has much better roads. Our road crews fix them up ASAP and we have no sales or income tax.
2011 535i X Drive - Space Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood Trim, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, Active Seat Ventilation, Premium Packages 1&2, Smartphone Integration.

2012 BMW R1200RT light magnesium, Sport/Touring Motorcycle
Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyj View Post
[/B]

Just this winter I have begun to travel from New England to Upstate New York and I can say the same thing. As soon as you cross over to New York you run into much worse road conditions. I am frequently working the Albany area and I am still driving my company car, a four wheel drive Ford Escape, and the potholes I have seen and dodged look like bombs went off in the area. I originally thought I would put my 535xi into service but after seeing the condition of roads in New York there is no way I would do that. Next to New York the worst roads I have seen were in Newfoundland, Canada ten years ago. It amazes me that New York taxes its population so highly and yet maintains its roads so poorly. It could be that they are constructed poorly. New Hampshire, where I live, has much better roads. Our road crews fix them up ASAP and we have no sales or income tax.
you also get a fraction of the travel and volume that we get here in new york.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyj View Post

New Hampshire, where I live, has much better roads. Our road crews fix them up ASAP and we have no sales or income tax.
You just had to go and twist the knife after plunging it into our backs didn't ya?????

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi
Quote:
You just had to go and twist the knife after plunging it into our backs didn't ya?????
Sorry! I was born in Brooklyn and love New York, but the potholes are bad. I don't know if potholes are caused more by heavy traffic or frost heaves, or a combination of both. Potholes may be a problem more of highly populated areas as my two sons who live in Pittsburgh say don't bring the BMW into the city.

I know when I come home on I90 the highway surface in New York is perfect. Could you imagine hitting a pot hole going 75 mph? These highways must be constructed better than city streets.

We have a lot of traffic in New Hampshire too. Sometimes cow herds cross the street. Other times Snowmobilers scoot across the road.
2011 535i X Drive - Space Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood Trim, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, Active Seat Ventilation, Premium Packages 1&2, Smartphone Integration.

2012 BMW R1200RT light magnesium, Sport/Touring Motorcycle
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
Quote:
There is certainly an issue with these tires. I have gone through three in a few weeks, the first three in 20 years of driving. The last one bubbled with a moderate pothole, not even something I would have thought twice about. I have one tire that has large bubbles in two different places....
I had a 2008 Jaguar S Type. The tires were low profile 245/40R18, but not run flat. The tires on my F10 are low profile 245/45R18, but are run flat. The middle number is critical (40 vs. 45 - goes to the amount of sidewall). The low profile tires on my Jaguar looked like rubber bands wrapped around a metal cylinder whereas my F10's tires look more like traditional tires (but they are still low profile). In January 2009, I switched to R17 tires and rims (traditional non low profile tires) on my Jaguar after way too many tire failures that same month. I never had another problem with the Jaguar after the switch. I am assuming that most of the Forum members with tire issues have R19 tires (rather than the R18). The R19 tires are more low profile than the R18 tires. That having been said, I just had my first tire failure on my F10, which was immediately replaced under warranty. Only time will tell whether this was an isolated incident or whether this was the first of many tire failures. Thankfully I have the BMW tire and rim insurance.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
BMW...It's kinda like the hot girl that everyone wants. She basically does what ever the hell she wants and gets away with it. Such is life.
Those types of women cost you alot of money in the long run, but usually are worth the ride.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Is there anything special about the stock tires?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Are these tire problems on all F10's or just those with 19" wheels? I have a 535 non-sport with 18's coming off the boat next week. What tires should I expect it to have and should I definitely expect problems? How much does the dealer soak you for the insurance; equivalent of one tire/wheel or more?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Is there anything special about the stock tires?
the goodyears are rocks that bubble. in retrospect (with the mich sport a/s +) they felt like fred flintstone

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
the goodyears are rocks that bubble. in retrospect (with the mich sport a/s +) they felt like fred flintstone
Any reason you went with the all seasons over the max summers? I am thinking of tossing in the towel on the RFT's but would then do max summers and get seperate snows/wheels for the winter.

2013 SL63 AMG black....