Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
I suspect you are correct there are not enough numbers to warrant a concerted effort to fix the problem. As you stated. the big challenge is that there is no good fix unless you want summer tires or non RFTs. You can't replace the LS2s with another all-season RFT and even if you could would that fix the problem?

However, based on my experience, BMW is willing to help if you have had multiple failures. You have to have a solution that is acceptable to you and a cooperative dealer and/or write to BWM NA to state your case. If you haven't bought the car yet and you can tolerate the thought of 18" wheels and tires, just insist on that before you sign. That's the way Sport F10s are sold in Germany and elsewhere with 19" being an extra cost option. I'm not sure why BMW NA doesn't offer that here.
Come on 1000 replies and 71000 Views are not enough?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi-M
New member to the bubble club

Well, I guess it's my fault. I read this forum extensively about 6 months ago, and still decided to buy the 550 M Sport.

3000 miles in and a flat tire warning, and of course it was in the Holland Tunnel at rush hour this morning.

So, i take my chances and drive back to the dealer (25 miles). I get there and say I have a tire issue, and he looks at the driver front tire (NOT the one that was flat), and says "yeah, i see you have the bubbles.".. And I look and there are 4 HUGE bubbles.. and that's IN ADDITION to my flat passenger front.

Now luckily its a huge dealership and they had 2, and even more lucky I bought the insurance, so 2 hours later I am fixed up, for now.

At this point, there really isn't much more that can be said I suppose, but I just wanted to both vent AND thank everyone for advising me to get the tire insurance.

To anyone considering the car right now, I still generally love the car, but wow, this will be tough to live with for 3 years.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
I'm ordering Michelin Primacy's right now. Going to have BMW store my LS2's for the 3 years, and put them back on when the lease is up. I DID NOT buy the insurance, but since I'll need to replace the LS2's during my lease term, I'm going to be proactive and do it now. Cheaper than having to replace them prior to turning them in, having bubbles, or not getting my security deposit whacked.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
That's the best move, given the number of tire failures owners in the NE have experienced. Probably what I will do if I have problems this winter. So far the LS2 has been a good tire after 6,000 miles.

Why did you go with the Michelin Primacy? Michelin's tire configurator doesn't recommend that tire for the M-Sport, but instead pushes you towards the Sport A/S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
I'm ordering Michelin Primacy's right now. Going to have BMW store my LS2's for the 3 years, and put them back on when the lease is up. I DID NOT buy the insurance, but since I'll need to replace the LS2's during my lease term, I'm going to be proactive and do it now. Cheaper than having to replace them prior to turning them in, having bubbles, or not getting my security deposit whacked.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:13 AM

I have the 535ix GT, not the M Sport. I've also had good luck with the Michelins in the past.

For the M's, I've been hearing good things about the Continetal DWS.

Ironically - when I stopped over to BMW just now, the service tech implied that the F07 and F01 are eating up non-runflats or non BMW approved tires. He also said every tire gets bubbles if they hit potholes to that I countered I have not seen a post on Bimmerfest where someone said I hit a pot hole with non-rft's and they bubbled (or more specifically I hit little bumps and got bubbles). I called BS on that, and then the BMW tire guy did too...

Net-net, I'm going Primacy MXV4's, all season for me, and hope to get 30-40,000 miles out of them and will then put the LS2's back on when the lease ends. AND - Thompson is storing them for me
Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Ironically - when I stopped over to BMW just now, the service tech implied that the F07 and F01 are eating up non-runflats or non BMW approved tires. He also said every tire gets bubbles if they hit potholes to that I countered I have not seen a post on Bimmerfest where someone said I hit a pot hole with non-rft's and they bubbled (or more specifically I hit little bumps and got bubbles). I called BS on that, and then the BMW tire guy did too...
:
Exactly - this morning, even though they were generally supportive, they did make a few comments implying I must have hit a few potholes. I told him that I have lived in the NYC area my whole life, and while I certainly hit some potholes, I have NEVER had a flat tire. This is the truth - 20 years of driving on some of the worst maintained roads on the planet (Bronx, New Jersey, etc.) - not a single flat. 3 months with this junk, and I have 2 in one day.

My plan is to ride it out with these tires and use my tire insurance as many times as possible. It's the one through BMW, so I know they are losing some (albeit only a little) money on this, and that's a moral victory :-)
Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 PM

I hear you. Hopefully you won't have to keep going back. At Thompson in PA, I hear they are putting Bridgestones on now instead of the GoodYear's.

Your other option is to go to a Goodyear shop and get them to swap out to the "tire of your choice" next time around which appears to be what they are doing right now. That said, it may void your BMW tire insurance policy.

SUCKS!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
if or when they are losing money.they will then offer alternatives.
if they keep going on like this you have to assume they are not loosing money.
in any event....we are losing time...and time is money

Last edited by pal joey; 12-03-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Yeah agree, it's not going to hurt BMW to pay a few tires (at cost) after I bought a $80k+ car from them. I just mean of all the current options, I plan to go with the one that costs me no out-of-pocket money and costs them at least something. As to time, you are right. At least for me it gave me an excuse to not commute today. It's a real shame, great car other than the tires. Good luck everyone.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
i am with you on that
had 2 bubbles in a 1 month and when replaced my 2 nd tire 4!!!!!!!!!! damaged rims
they replacing all 4 rims and a tire thank god for insurance
i will changing rims and or tires as often as needed, but refuse to spend 3000-4000 for different rims or tires
Alex
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Well, it happened! Today while driving I hit a pothole, a pretty common occurrence here in NJ. Didn't think the pothole was too bad, but within about 10 seconds I got the tire low warning. Very soon after that I could feel the wheel was heavier and it was louder. Kept my speed at <50 MPH for the ~10 mile trip back home and I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow. As much as we b*tch about run flats, it was actually quite convenient to drive home.

I didn't get the tire insurance, but I took a look at the Dunlop warranty, and they cover road hazards within the first year or 2/32" wear. Pretty soon I'm going to switch to the Michelin Pilot A/S conventional and keep the Dunlops in storage.

As you can see from the picture, this wasn't a bubble, but a full sidewall rupture. I have about 3,500 miles on the odo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0064.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	303374  

Last edited by alewifebp; 12-02-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 535i 2011
The RFT is unfortunately a commun probleme and all BMW users have to suffer; and I feel sorry that BMW don't support the clients in this regards. It is not normal that the dealers ask us to follow with the tyres makers!? why? in this way they can ask us to go and deal with all the suppliers (BMW Suppliers),,,

As I went for Michelin Super Sport non RFT, BMW insist and recommend to go for RFT and Infront of this situation I contacted the Good Year representative who accepted to pay me two Brodgestone (275/35 R19) since no more Good Year available in the market (Dubai market) and from my side i decided to replace the front tyres as well which I replaced earlier due to Bubbles 10000Km ago.

I sincerely hope that Bridgestone will do better than GOOD YEAR, and in the future I will consider other car makers.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:33 AM

yea i get it the ls2 only affects a certain number in a certain area.
and although bmw might be willing to write us off,you can add to that group the many others that dont like or want run flats,and will not consider bmw because of them.then add to that the current bmw owners who have had a bad experience and as a result will not consider another bmw next time out.theres another group who chose to go out and purchse four new wheels and tires.and continually switch and store them.then you can add another group who had to fork over money,some times big money for tire insurance on a brand new car.not because they wanted to,but because they felt that they had to,and resented having to do so.

at this time there really is nothing bmw can do about the ls2 problem.they dont make tires.they can wait to see if good year comes out with a new and improved ls2,or they can wait and hope another company starts making an all season run flat in that size.
the only thing bmw can do is stop putting 19s on the m sport,but the m sport package selling for close to $5,000. it doesnt appear that is something they are willing to do.and if they move from 19 to 18,does the problem go away or just less often.is the problem the tire?can it be simply flawed design and or construction?if michelin made one would it have the same problem?is it the tire size?is it the wheel design?is it the x drive?is it the sport mode?

the big question bmw has to be asked is how do you equip one of your cars with an all season run flat tire that is only made by one company,in the world?a company that makes a tire that appears to be extremely delicate,and also is not available other then at a bmw dealership.bmw appears to be the only one with any interest or demand for them.

if you are gonna equip your cars in the northeast with this tire,you need to test that tire in that area.cold weather,snow,ice, and potholes are a way of life.a tire has to be manufactured that can sustain that landscape.if appearance and performance need to be sacrificed as a result of that ,so be it.safety and convenience is paramount.isnt that why bmw initially chose and continues to defend providing the run flats.they do this in spite of a growing number of their consumer base who would rather not have them,and went out of pocket to ditch them for conventional tires?

Last edited by pal joey; 12-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 PM

Well I went in to the dealer today, and of course, the tire is not in stock. And neither does my dealer offer loaners for tire work. So I had the option of either drive no car this weekend, or rent a car at my expense while the tire comes in. I needed to drive, so I've got a rental.

I will certainly be contacting BMW about this. Like others, I've never had a car that I nearly need to be scared to drive it thinking that I will hit a pothole and damage these incredibly failure prone tires.

I was thinking about the situation a little more, and the combination of the weight that the car has gained, the very low profile tires, and the crappy run flats causes this fragile situation.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:38 AM

open road in edison n.j has them.they replaced one for me this week.
they give loaners for tire work.they actually had my car 3 days,that cost me 3 visits.it should have been a one visit while i waited.

a loaner car for a known tire issue should be a network wide service.i would contact bmw at 800 831 1117 and give them a headache,like they gave you.
its only when you confront them that they try to accomodate you.they installed for free four mud guards.a job they had initially quoated cost $200.for labor.

it is bmw who agreed to take the good year customers into bmw service for an issue that should have been resolved in a good year tire service center.
in doing so they helped bmw,but in denying you a loaner they are not looking to help you.bmw seems to have it reversed their allegiance should first be to their customers,and then to their tire supplier.
ecspecially so when their tire supplier has provided a tire that has only caused nothing but problems for bmw and their customers.

im done dealing with a tire issue with bmw service.from here on in its good year only.

Last edited by pal joey; 12-05-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:26 AM

Update. As you may remember from my post on Friday, I had the 2 front tires replaced on Friday.

Sunday - driving home from the Giants game (so already mad), I re-blew the front passenger tire. Yes, it lasted 2 days.... Yes, I hit a pothole, but yes - nothing larger than the standard NJ pothole.

Unreal.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 AM

Waiting - I can feel your pain, I'm and Eagles fan :-)

But seriously - I would be talking to a lwyer and asking about lemon laws. if it's really that bad, It's time to move on. BMW has to do something about this other than "trying" to sell insurance policies and/or forcing owners to try to run non RFT's.

Has anyone tried lemon lawing their car yet? Hate to see it, but it might be getting to that point.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
Waiting - I can feel your pain, I'm and Eagles fan :-)

But seriously - I would be talking to a lwyer and asking about lemon laws. if it's really that bad, It's time to move on. BMW has to do something about this other than "trying" to sell insurance policies and/or forcing owners to try to run non RFT's.

Has anyone tried lemon lawing their car yet? Hate to see it, but it might be getting to that point.
If you can convince a lemon law arbitrator that the problem is a result of the incompatibility of the dynamic suspension system with the tires that BMW chose as OEM, then you have a good shot at it as long as you meet other lemon law criteria such as time out of service or number of attempted repairs. If you blame it on the tire itself, which is not covered under the BMW warranty, you will probably not succeed.

Personally, I think it is an incompatible system as designed, manufactured and sold by BMW that causes failure of the tires that are part of this complex software driven system. The cost of the technical resources to prove it in a court of law are beyond the resources of any individual. However, tire dealers and BMW dealers will tell you that the tire failures on DHP equipped cars are far above what they would expect for low profile tires plus the fact that BMW has raised their tire and wheel insurance rates by 50% may be enough to convince an arbitrator that something is wrong.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Well I got the replacement put on today. The Dunlop warranty covered the cost of the tire, but I had to print out the warranty and give it to the dealer. As a general rule, they know nothing about these warranty terms, especially for those that have not bought the tire insurance. I've placed the order for the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus and should have it installed sometime later this week.

We all need to continue hounding BMW about this problem. I'll be contacting customer relations very soon. For those with the dreaded LS2, send an e-mail to customer relations every time you have a bubble. Each call and e-mail does get logged. It will help them realize that the problem is not going to go away on its own.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i xDrive
I originally had the GY LS2 19" tires on my car which developed bubbles in both front tires. The dealership agreed to replace all four tires at no cost to me but I had to wait five months because nobody had these tires in stock. During that time, they put Bridgestone summer times which worked great. I hit a really bad pothole one night and was sure the tire would be damaged but thankfully not a single sign of damage.

A new set of the GY LS2 were installed on the car yesterday and now I am a nervous driver looking to avoid even the smallest of potholes for fear of damaging the tires. This is not how I envisioned "the ultimate driving experience" would feel like.... Anyway, the tires are stamped with a 3511 date so they are a fairly new production and hopefully GY has fixed the issue. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
just send an email to BMW NA reporting issues with tires and rims/2 mo-2 tires+4 rims/- far from ULTIMATE DRIVING EXPERIENCE
I think EVERYBODY should do the same and continue bombard headquaters with e-mails
Alex
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 AM

Consumer Reports

Has anyone contacted Consumer Reports yet?
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex md View Post
just send an email to BMW NA reporting issues with tires and rims/2 mo-2 tires+4 rims/- far from ULTIMATE DRIVING EXPERIENCE
I think EVERYBODY should do the same and continue bombard headquaters with e-mails
Alex
This will certainly yield some results... Atleast number of issues will be official
Old 12-06-2011, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Don't forget to file reports here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

The only way BMW will own up to this issue is if it gets enough exposure, just like the HPFP in my E60 that was replaced twice before BMW admitted there was a flaw.

I'm on my 5th tire and been driving for 4 weeks without issue. This is a record!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:02 AM

seems like tire damage by far exceeds wheel damage.
bmw keeps selling the insurance and keeps raising its cost,obviously the result of continuing claims and the costs associated with them.

the ls2 good years are covered by good year.
bmw never told me that,i had to find out for myself.
they obviously knew but chose to withhold and thus decieve.
was anyone whose car came with r/f 19 ls2 informed at the time they were offered the insurance option that the tires are already covered by good year?

when you purchase a tire from tire rack or a similar source,road hazard insurance is offered for as little as $25.00 per tire,around $100. for a set of 4.
bmw although they include wheel coverage in their plan unsuccessfully attempted to extort close to $3,000 from me.
to make that bad situation worse they attempted that extortion through pressure that included us having to make a desision then and there in a matter of minutes,while also holding back important and usefull tire maker warranty info that would have provided valuable help in making that decision.i had a feeling of sitting in a chair being questioned with the bright lights on me.not very comfortable or pleasant.
since the tires are the big flaw,and road hazard is available for as little as $25. a tire at the retail level,bmw is probably not loosing money on the tires,but they are making money overall on the insurance because they dont often have to pay out for damaged wheel claims.

i have to check with good year. they cover these tires in full for the first year,then pro rate them for the next 5.
i need to find out its its a year from when the car was sold or a year from when the replacement tire was installed.anyone know?i have a feeling its the former.
this will obviously be an ongoing problem,and i dont think i will ever go a year with the replacements,unless good year is using this down time to tweak the tire,and release a new and improved version.

Last edited by pal joey; 12-07-2011 at 05:11 AM.