Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal joey View Post
seems like tire damage by far exceeds wheel damage.
bmw keeps selling the insurance and keeps raising its cost,obviously the result of continuing claims and the costs associated with them.

the ls2 good years are covered by good year.
bmw never told me that,i had to find out for myself.
they obviously knew but chose to withhold and thus decieve.
was anyone whose car came with r/f 19 ls2 informed at the time they were offered the insurance option that the tires are already covered by good year?

when you purchase a tire from tire rack or a similar source,road hazard insurance is offered for as little as $25.00 per tire,around $100. for a set of 4.
bmw although they include wheel coverage in their plan unsuccessfully attempted to extort close to $3,000 from me.
to make that bad situation worse they attempted that extortion through pressure that included us having to make a desision then and there in a matter of minutes,while also holding back important and usefull tire maker warranty info that would have provided valuable help in making that decision.i had a feeling of sitting in a chair being questioned with the bright lights on me.not very comfortable or pleasant.
since the tires are the big flaw,and road hazard is available for as little as $25. a tire at the retail level,bmw is probably not loosing money on the tires,but they are making money overall on the insurance because they dont often have to pay out for damaged wheel claims.

i have to check with good year. they cover these tires in full for the first year,then pro rate them for the next 5.
i need to find out its its a year from when the car was sold or a year from when the replacement tire was installed.anyone know?i have a feeling its the former.
this will obviously be an ongoing problem,and i dont think i will ever go a year with the replacements,unless good year is using this down time to tweak the tire,and release a new and improved version.
Yes to what you said about Goodyear warranty.

But if you get the BMW 5 year warranty you will be able to relpace the tires and wheels too for a period of 5 years... but some dealers are being ridiculous with the price.

If we can get the warranty for around 1K it is a good/safe option. if not we are better off with good year warranty as long as there are no wheel damages.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
As disgusted as I am with the situation, I must admit the BMW insurance is worth the cost strictly as a matter of convenience. In all 5 instances, the dealer replaced the tire quickly. I would not want to battle with a third-party insurance company or file a claim with Goodyear every time I get a bubble in my tire, which I expect will happen 10-20 more times in the next 2.5 years I have this car.

In fact, if these tires continue to fail at this rate, I won't have to buy new tires for the car, and the insurance will more than have paid for itself.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
if you already went 5 times,and might go another 10 to 20 you are gonna waste a lot of time.
the money you gave to bmw for insurance you could have gave to tire rack,or costco and purchased tires of your choice,with road hazard insurance for another 100 bucks.

no way will i be making that many trips to bmw over the next 3 or 4 years that i plan to keep the car.
next bubble i get i go to good year and replace all 4 with a conventional tires.for at this time that is the only solution to the problem.
anyone who continues to allow bwm to keep installing a trouble prone tire is just kicking the can down the road.

i couldnt see giving bmw 3,000,when i can go retail for around 1,000,and thats worse case scenario assuming good year doesnt pay,and they have been paying.
thats a 1/3 of the cost of bmw insurance and hopefully no more visits to bmw or good year service.more then likely going with a michelin or conti.

i ran over a poland spring water bottle today in the roadway.i got out and checked for a bubble.not this time.but hopefully soon.
i very quickly went from being overly concerned about potholes and bubbles,to now almost welcoming one.bring it on.
the quicker it comes the quicker i bail on these 4 rubber bands, and find a fix of my own,not a bmw or good year fix.i can then fully enjoy owning and driving what is otherwise an outstanding automobile.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
the money you gave to bmw for insurance you could have gave to tire rack,or costco and purchased tires of your choice,with road hazard insurance for another 100 bucks.
Unfortunately there are no other all-season RFTs in this size.

I would have no problem if BMW wants to put winter tires on my car, and then give me a different summer tire next year, and change them out each year. Personally I did not want to bother with winter/summer tires because I rarely drive in snow, which is why I chose all-season tires.

I would have no problem if BMW wants to put 18" wheels on my car to avoid the defective Goodyear Eagle LS2s.

Unfortunately BMW will not do either of these, so they are on the hook for replacing my tires on a regular basis. It is beyond frustrating for me, but there is really nothing I can do, other than make my complaints loud and clear, and make this my last BMW.
Quote:
i couldnt see giving bmw 3,000,when i can go retail for around 1,000
I paid $1,100 and I've already billed over twice that amount, and BMW will continue to absorb the cost of replacing my tires until they own up to this issue. If they do not change out the tires, then I am certain that I will not have to buy new tires for this car before returning it, which will save me an additional $1,800 and I'll be ahead of the game. It has also saved me money on car washes.

I've reluctantly accepted the situation but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and will probably steer me towards a different brand in 2014.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:03 AM

"I've reluctantly accepted the situation but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and will probably steer me towards a different brand in 2014". .........i hear that

yes if you stay with run flats you have no options.
that being the case i say why stay with them.
i was looking at this this issue through my situation or others like me who passed on the insurance.
we have more options other then what bmw tells us.

those who have invested in insurance are basically stuck having to play the bmw game.
that will cost a lot of time and inconvience.so basically you,and others paid to get a bad tire replaced with another bad tire.it has been and will continue to be an ongoing cycle.
some gave their money to bmw for insurance and with that came the bmw shackles.
since i have no insurance other then good year warranty which to me is more then enough ecspecially since it cost me nothing out of pocket,i have the freedom to do as i choose not as bmw chooses.

why trust bmw to do whats best for us when it was they who chose these tires.tires that no one else in the world makes other then good year.and now even good year doesnt even make them.
and what bothers me even more is bmw is still equipping and selling their cars with these tires.in the beginning they could have claimed they werent aware of a problem.they can no longer claim that. so far their solution has only been to just keep raising insurance costs,because of all the payouts.good for bmw no good for us.initially after passing on the insurance i had some doubt or concern which was intensified after joing this forum and reading all the negative comments.that doubt or concern is gone.

i have no regrets about walking on the insurance.i have the good year coverage without the bmw shackles.and with that comes the freedom to put the tires of my choice ,on my car.
im curious how many trips for tire service for those who switched to any other tire other then the ls2?

Last edited by pal joey; 12-08-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Quote:
i have no insurance other then good year warranty which to me is more then enough ecspecially since it cost me nothing out of pocket,

Isn't the Goodyear warranty just good for one year on replacement? After that, after depreciation for wear, you will still be paying out the nose for a replacement.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:12 PM

they are covered in full year one,pro rated next 5.
i drive 5,000 miles a year,not too concerned about wear.
and these tires wont be on my car after after the next bubble.

if that bubble comes before february when good year plans to have availablity,good year will pay to replace all four.
they had approved giving me four new tires this time but bmw service rep came up with 3 summer tire choices after i had clearly told him i would only accept all season.
if the next bubble comes after february ,which is a date given to me from a good year rep,and the ls2 is not new and improved but the same weak link,i will pay.
il spend $1,000 for tires with road hazard insurance.

its a price im more then willing to spend.
what were my options?give bmw $3,000,and make who knows how many trips in for tire replacement.
or i just replace them with my choice and either get good year to pay as they have been, or worse case scenario i pay the $1,000.
i will get rid of the problem,get better tires,and have $2,000 left over in my pocket because i refused to give bmw the $3,000 they attempted to extort from me.

Last edited by pal joey; 12-08-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Quote:
i refused to give bmw the $3,000 they attempted to extort form me.
I don't blame you one bit. That is nearly 4 times what I paid for a 4-year tire/wheel replacement policy from my dealer. The policy more than paid for itself when I got bubbles on 2 left tires from one pothole just a few months later. Over $900 to replace 2 tires.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
Here you go. The answer to our problem.

"Bridgestone Developing 'Airless' Puncture-Proof Tire
by Anthony Ingram

Published December 09, 2011 High Gear Media

Although it'd be unfair to say that tires are one of the more old-fashioned aspects of your modern car - since tire manufacturers spend millions constantly developing them - they do have their flaws.
Your typical pneumatic tire is liable to suffer punctures, which can either be inconvenient or downright dangerous depending on where and when one happens.
A tire that relies on air then is a flawed concept - but what if you could remove air from the equation?
Bridgestone has been working on just that, and has announced the development of the non-pneumatic (airless) concept tire. Not only will you finally be free of punctures, but the company also says the tire is more environmentally friendly than the regular black rings of rubber.

Construction

The concept tire uses a thermoplastic resin spoke structure along the inner sides of the tires that supports the weight of the vehicle, just as pressurized air does in a regular tire. That means no risk of leaks, and no risk of punctures.
The resin is also 100 percent recyclable which makes it far greener than regular tires, many of which go to landfill and at best, are cut up for insulation and other uses. Bridgestone envisions a continuous cycle of recycling and re-use as the thermoplastic can be constantly re-formed when heated.

Michelin also tried working with airless technology back in the early 2000s but the tech has now got to the point where its becoming production viable.

Other benefits

The consequences for puncture-proof tires are wider than simple convenience, too.
Fewer and fewer cars are being supplied with spare wheels these days, many opting for a can of tire-sealant instead. These new tires would allow all cars to go without either, saving all-important weight, currently public enemy number one in the car industry.
With no provision for a spare tire, trunk space would also be freed up - making cars more practical.
Tires have seemingly been holding back the cars they're fitted to in many areas then, but with the efforts of companies like Bridgestone, they may soon be one of the most cutting-edge technologies on your car... "

Last edited by Crmgr; 12-09-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 PM

no mention of when will they be available,or what they will cost?
other then that,it sounds like a good idea,and its been long overdue.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
Primacy - Night and day difference

Until then --- my Goodyear RFT's came off and Micehelin Primacy's went on.

NIGHT AND DAY diffference.

Ashame I had to spend $1200 to do the replacement, but the RFT's will be stored and put back on at time of turning in the lease.

Wardman
Old 12-09-2011, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
Very long thread, very stupid question

After going through most of this thread and a few others on the RFTs, I have not seen a problem on the 17 inch tires. Am I correct that the problem happens on the 18 and 19 inch tires only?

Thanks...
Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmf10 View Post
After going through most of this thread and a few others on the RFTs, I have not seen a problem on the 17 inch tires. Am I correct that the problem happens on the 18 and 19 inch tires only?

Thanks...
You should be fine with the 17" tires and even the 18" for that matter. However, since the preponderance of contributors to this forum seem to have 535's and 550's, there is not much data on the 17" tires.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: X6M
Six months of ownership and a second 19" Goodyear has failed. This time I was driving through a parking lot (going no more than 5-10 MPH) when I heard a slight popping noise from the rear, only to immediately lose all air pressure in the back passenger side tire. I'm assuming a puncture of some kind, although nothing is readily visible to the naked eye (in the dark). At any rate, my dealer is going to try to locate a replacement tire in the morning. Glad I bought the wheel/tire insurance, but still... pain in the a$s.

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 12-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
You didn't say you hit a pothole. Sounds like you ran over something. Look at it this way. The runflat got you home and to the dealer. A non-runflat would have left you out in the cold changing a tire.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
The cost of insurance and the inconvenience, etc. of having to go get the tire replaced are one thing, the fact that the tires aren't even available is another.

I got a bubble back in October and the dealer who sold me the car didn't have any replacements in stock. They promised to notify me when the tires came in (as did my salesman). Luckily I knew better than to trust them. If I hadn't taken advantage of info that a Connecticut dealer had the tires and driven up there to get one I'd still be waiting.

Last edited by nlk10010; 12-17-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535XI M-Sport
3000 miles on the car and just got another bubble. had to wait 4 days last time for the tire. called dealer today but they didnt get back to me. If i didnt have a 2nd car, i would be fuked with this RFT BS. i love the car, so it looks like i'll need to either get a spare or a real set of tires (non-rf)
Old 12-24-2011, 05:18 PM

Dang. Another one today 2 in a week. There was a small pot hole on the highway. Time to shop for some real tires after replacing this one.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8 View Post
Six months of ownership and a second 19" Goodyear has failed. .
Consider yourself lucky.

Got my 7th tire on Friday. Getting my 8th tire today.

This car is a safety hazard and if BMW doesn't do something about it soon, it is not going to end well for them or for Goodyear when this issue is exposed.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: X6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post
Consider yourself lucky.

Got my 7th tire on Friday. Getting my 8th tire today.

This car is a safety hazard and if BMW doesn't do something about it soon, it is not going to end well for them or for Goodyear when this issue is exposed.
That's some craziness right there...

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlk10010 View Post
I got a bubble back in October and the dealer who sold me the car didn't have any replacements in stock. They promised to notify me when the tires came in (as did my salesman)..
They allowed you to drive on a tire with a bubble?

That is like giving you a ticking timebomb in the back seat.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 AM

REMINDER: Please file safety complaints

To all who have had problems with these awful Goodyear Eagle LS2 245/40R19 ROF tires, please remember to file a safety complaint here:

NHTSA - File a Safety Complaint

Due to the fact that these tires are unique to 535xi with sport package, the problems are not widespread and thus there are not too many official complaints filed with NHTSA. The more complaints filed, the more likely the issue will ultimately be exposed and BMW will be forced to deal with it appropriately.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 AM

as soon as I found out I had a bubble on the tire. I asked for a loaner (if no tires in stock) or 1st spot on swapping a new tire right away. I am not risking anything with families in the car. RaveD, I'm with you. Bubble + no spare is just ridiculous. I can't plan any road trips unless I buy a spare tire.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 AM

I'm assuming a puncture of some kind, although nothing is readily visible to the naked eye (in the dark). At any rate, my dealer is going to try to locate a replacement tire in the morning."

obviously you can replace the tire if you so choose.but be advised punctures dont require replacement or a trip to the dealer.they can be repaired with a patch at any tire center set up to work on run flats.if dealers are replacing tires for punctures,this is surely adding to the cost of of tire insurance they sell.
dealer wrongly advised me during pressure tactic to sell me the insurance that these tires cannot be repaired when punctured.good year warranty states they can be repaired.more dishonesty and deception from bmw dealer.

-----------------------------------------------

"A non-runflat would have left you out in the cold changing a tire. "

must punctures dont give you a flat.almost 100% of the time i noticed a screw or nail in the tire i had minimal air loss.i never had to take off the tire and put on a spare.i simply put a couple of pounds of air in and drove to a tire repair for a patch.before getting the bmw i had acura with roadside assistance and i also have it with geico im 58 years old,im not jacking up a car and switching out a tire,unless im helping a woman or a senior in distress.

yes runflats have some advantages,but imo they have more negatives.this tread has over 1,000 replies,most if not all complaints.wheres the 1,000 post tread complimenting runflats?if bmw didnt force feed them to us and it was optional i wonder how many buyers would agree with bmw that runflats are superior,and the only way to go.in the 2 short months ive had this car bmw has misled me twice regarding the tires.the first time telling me they werent covered,the second time telling me they cannot be repaired.fool me once shame on you ,fool me twice shame on me.so i should trust them to do whats best for me or whats best for bmw?

Last edited by pal joey; 01-04-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rgr887 Send a message via Skype™ to rgr887
Mein Auto: '12 528XI
Delivery scheduled for Saturday on 2012 528xi. Not pleased about the tires tho'. OEM Goodyear Eagle LS on there now. I'm trying to work with the dealership but no help with a trade off to a set of Continenals. Now I'm forced to go to tirerack.com and order a set then see if a local installer will trade me to get the Conti DWS on there. When I put these on my '08 528xi, it improved my handling and ride at least by 30%. Is there anyone in the Albany, NY area or for that matter throughout the western New England that I can help to solve this problem. The cost retail of the tires.... Goodyear's price per 228.00 and the Conti's 143.00 each. You'd think it would be a no-brainer for a tire retailer. Is there another way to make this happen? Thanks any and all positive comments...