Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
Goodyear ls2?
Yep...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Yep...
i wonder at what stage they will push the recall button

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
Darn, when I get my 550i, I hope that they will have this problem corrected. Although, I was thinking about putting on 20's. Roads here in VA are not that bad like it is in NY. What are you guys thoughts???
Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Aftermath: 1tire and 1wheel damaged. Total 1.1k
The insurance just paid itself. Eta for the new tire is 2 wks.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Everyone seems to be blaming the tires, but has anyone considered that it is the design of the RIMS that is a big problem here?

A great tire shop (where unfortunately I have visited several times during my 535i ownership) tells me the design of the new 19" wheels on the 2011 is inferior in that the metal on the edge that meets the tires is thinner and less reinforced. Combined with the RFTs that transfer much greater force to the wheel due to their rigidity, it is a perfect recipe for bent and cracked rims.

It is sad that this issue is preventing me from truly enjoying the experience of upgrading to the new 2011 F10 this year. Not only do I have to spend $1K for the insurance, but I am practically guaranteed to visit the dealer multiple times for wheel repair. In and around NYC, it is simply impossible to avoid potholes completely, especially after the winter we have had.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post
Everyone seems to be blaming the tires, but has anyone considered that it is the design of the RIMS that is a big problem here?

A great tire shop (where unfortunately I have visited several times during my 535i ownership) tells me the design of the new 19" wheels on the 2011 is inferior in that the metal on the edge that meets the tires is thinner and less reinforced. Combined with the RFTs that transfer much greater force to the wheel due to their rigidity, it is a perfect recipe for bent and cracked rims.

It is sad that this issue is preventing me from truly enjoying the experience of upgrading to the new 2011 F10 this year. Not only do I have to spend $1K for the insurance, but I am practically guaranteed to visit the dealer multiple times for wheel repair. In and around NYC, it is simply impossible to avoid potholes completely, especially after the winter we have had.
I don't think it is the rim design at all. It is definitely the RFT tire first and the low profile combo second. If you replace the tires with regular tires with flexible walls, the tire will take the brunt of the impact and the rim will be spared unless the pothole is super big and the impact super hard. However, don't let this major issue of RFTs stop you from buying and enjoying the car - buy the car and replace the tires with the $1K you will save in insurance money.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
I don't think it is the rim design at all. It is definitely the RFT tire first and the low profile combo second. If you replace the tires with regular tires with flexible walls, the tire will take the brunt of the impact and the rim will be spared unless the pothole is super big and the impact super hard. However, don't let this major issue of RFTs stop you from buying and enjoying the car - buy the car and replace the tires with the $1K you will save in insurance money.
This is what I did on my 535i. I replaced the RFTs with Goodrich all-seasons. I'm sure I saved myself even more cracked rim inidents, not to mention, the ride was much improved.

However, with no spare in the F10, I'm not sure I want to be riding around on non-RFTs.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 PM

RFT failure

Hi all, I'm new here but felt compelled to add my story.

I've already had one RFT replaced due to a bubble about 5 weeks ago. Had another one develop the same problem (right rear) last week and took it in on Monday. They also discovered I have a bent rim on front passenger side. I have the BMW tire/rim insurance. The car has been in the shop since Monday morning as they are waiting for an "inspector" to come look at the rim and approve the claim for a replacement. Not sure why this is needed as it's not a 3rd party warranty but that's what they are telling me.

I live in Dallas and we have some decent pot holes here too due but I don't recall hitting anything major. Very frustrated as they tires only have about 5k miles on them and I've now gone through 2 RFTs and 1 rim in less than 6 mos of ownership.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d; 2012 550ix
[QUOTE=Centerfield;5885675]Hi all, I'm new here but felt compelled to add my story.

I have the BMW tire/rim insurance. The car has been in the shop since Monday morning as they are waiting for an "inspector" to come look at the rim and approve the claim for a replacement. Not sure why this is needed as it's not a 3rd party warranty but that's what they are telling me.

BMW Tire Insurance is underwritten by a third party...it is just branded with the BMW name. So it is a third party warranty of sorts. Look at your brochure/coverage terms. I looked at it 6 months ago when I bought my X5 and it was underwritten by a company called Safe Guard. The policy at that time said it would replace a tire only if it failed to hold air. Not sure it would pay if there was a sidewall bubble. Many owners posting on this and other boards are saying they are getting reimbursed....so maybe the coverage is different. Good luck, I hope the coverage applies and you get full reimbursement.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM

The last time they just replaced the tire no questions asked even with the bulge on the sidewall and didn't ask about it holding air. This time however, they did ask if it was losing air and said they needed to take a picture and send it off somewhere for approval. This was before they discovered the rim. It sounds like they have either changed their procedures or now maybe use a different company than the first time around. Hopefully they will approve it tomorrow and I'll be done. I'll post the results once I hear back from them.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Frustrating indeed. For the ones on the East Coast, NY/CT area, do you guys remember last year being this bad w/ potholes? I don't remember having this much issues, and having to be EXTRA careful riding around.
My Audi had 19's and 255/35 setup... never had one issue. Now that I payed for the insurance, I will stick w/ the RFT until the end.. lol..

Just the ONE wheel was 600+USD in the replacement, so for the folks opting for just swaping the tires, make sure to be careful w/ those babies..

PL

Last edited by PHL; 03-02-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Frustrating indeed. For the ones on the East Coast, NY/CT area, do you guys remember last year being this bad w/ potholes? I don't remember having this much issues, and having to be EXTRA careful riding around.
My Audi had 19's and 255/35 setup... never had one issue. Now that I payed for the insurance, I will stick w/ the RFT until the end.. lol..

Just the ONE wheel was 600+USD in the replacement, so for the folks opting for just swaping the tires, make sure to be careful w/ those babies..

PL
worse winter + less spending on the public works = RFT Fails Galore

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 03-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750xi M Sport
beautiful car, i bought a duplicate. when i went to pick it up, the dealer informed me that car was shipped from germany with an added accesory. The carbon fiber wing..with our color it is unbelievable looking because it blends in with the color.where in ny are you? im in Long Island
Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750xi M Sport
Just picked up car new, with bubble in tire...

when i picked my car up last night from dealer with 11 miles on it, i noticed front left bubble in goodyear tire. Dealer can't even get me a tire..
Old 03-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMsprt View Post
when i picked my car up last night from dealer with 11 miles on it, i noticed front left bubble in goodyear tire. Dealer can't even get me a tire..
congratulations you are the winner of the "earliest to get a bubble in his crap RFT" award. welcome to the fest by the way! i'm in money makin manhattan.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
I dropped off my 535xi for service today and was given a 550i with the sport package. The 550i has 19 inch rims and R19 GY tires. In short, all of the tires have bubbles in them. I can not wait to get my 535xi back, which has 18 inch rims and R18 GY tires. I do not like driving around with low profile tires that have bubbles.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
I dropped off my 535xi for service today and was given a 550i with the sport package. The 550i has 19 inch rims and R19 GY tires. In short, all of the tires have bubbles in them. I can not wait to get my 535xi back, which has 18 inch rims and R18 GY tires. I do not like driving around with low profile tires that have bubbles.
bet ya don't mind that engine though

Old 03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
Whoa. They knowingly gave you a 400 HP loaner with 4 bubbled tires? I can't imagine the liability if you (or even worse, your teenage son) "opened that baby up to see what she could do" and one or more tires burst at speed. Even if the RFT fiasco has left them without loaner cars, I can't imagine the dealership biting off that risk.

I'm assuming hte last 3 letters in your user name denote your profession, yes?

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 03-03-2011, 11:38 PM

I went and got the tire and rim changed this morning. For my surprise I was told they would not perform an alignment due to the car model/ optionals. They said their software don't have the specs to be able to perform the alignment..
They will call me next week to schedule another appointment...
Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Anyone on this thread having bubble/failure issuers with th 18s? Seems the vast majority are either msport or sport 19s? Just curious if folks are having similar probe with the 18s.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550XI
Just got both fronts replaced. Normal potholes, I had one on order and hit another during the week I was waiting. CA tells me that since purchase was more than 90 days ago I can't get the BMW wheel and tire insurance.

I am shopping for regulars. Will have 4 goodyears to sell, two of them brand new, two with 4500 miles on them.

Bad call to not get the insurance when I got car. I had no idea...
Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihumphrey View Post
Anyone on this thread having bubble/failure issuers with th 18s? Seems the vast majority are either msport or sport 19s? Just curious if folks are having similar probe with the 18s.
According to my service adviser there are no problems with the 17" and they are rare with the the 18". The 19" is the big offender. Since I would guess that more 18" are sold than 19" (members on this forum are the exception), that tells the story. I get mine next week with 19" and don't look forward to the tire problems even though I have the insurance.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Not trying to start something BUT have you folks that have had problems considered a class action suit? I understand there have been suits re bad tires before. So far no problems with my 18". Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 SAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post

I think you highlight a great point wrt the wheels. The things attached at all four corners are a package. My guess is that the long term compatibility of the wheels with the new tire technology wasn't fully vetted. Perhaps the wheels were redesigned to save material cost and weight. Whatever it is, when one component of the package fails the other has to be considered as a possible cause of the failure.

A big company like BMW typically will only acknowledge (and perhaps address) a major issue (one that will incur large costs) when their hand is forced due to liability and or when a larger entity (eg NHTSA) steps on their neck. I'm certain they'll resolve this problem but the last thing they want to issue is a recall so that the customer will continue to have to pay to fix this design error; not them.

I've had the same experience with the tires and wheels. I'm OK with a company making a mistake, finding a solution and offering a better alternative. But when you fork out the $1K+ for the wheel/tire safety net (from BMW) you don't expect the hassles of waiting days for warranty product to arrive or for an adjuster to show up 3 days later so that he can take a picture. It's a customer satisfaction failure, IMO.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr99vet View Post
Not trying to start something BUT have you folks that have had problems considered a class action suit? I understand there have been suits re bad tires before. So far no problems with my 18". Just my 2 cents worth.
A couple of years ago (2009) in the context of problems I was having with tires (low profile, but not run flat) on my 2008 Jaguar S Type, I ran this by an attorney that I am acquainted with here in NJ whose firm handles this type of matter. The firm had actually just finished with another class action tire suit. In short, the firm declined to take the matter on. In addition, I made some inquiries with some other attorneys and consumer groups, but they all also declined to get involved. In view of the fact that BMW now issues warnings on its website, as well as offers insurance to cover the problem, it is even more unlikely a firm will take the matter on, unless of course, people start getting severely injured or killed as a result of the tire failures.

2014 750ix M Sport