BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

**Consolidated RFT Failures/Issues Thread**

447K views 2K replies 370 participants last post by  kburn711 
#1 ·
Guys I was dismayed to find a bubble or protrusion in the sidewall of my RFT this morning. The sensor is not on in the vehicle and I cannot notice any performance degradation, but it is certainly visible. I don't have my digital camera otherwise I would include a photo. Recommendations welcome, do I keep driving it or take it in, from what i have read there is no repairing them, just replacing. Bummer...I felt a pothole last week but didn't think it was that bad?

#8 ·
What brand is your tire? I think it happens to Good Years more than Michelins. You do have insurance if your tire is a Good Year - BMW will not replace it but a Good Year store will. I read the Good Year insurance someone posted a while back and it clearly states that road hazards are covered :thumbup:

#1,134 ·
Goodyear store does not have any tire LS2 in their reach so they may ask you to visit your BMW dealer and they will reimburse you a portion of it. Also be aware of the trick that dealer may lie to you that the thread depth is far less than it is. So you might have to buy a thread depth gauge so you are not fooled.

#16 · (Edited)
How long after going over a pothole will the bubble form? Is it always on the outside of the tire or is it advisable to check the inside wall periodically?

Please reply if you know the answer; your response is appreciated.

#20 ·
I had a bubble on my E60 non RFT Conti sports tire. Didn't have any on the E93, E60 530 or E85 (all with RFT and and sports package).

My dealer replaced both front tires under my tire/wheel insurance. I believe this is best $ 1000 I spent on my M5. So far I have got 4 tires replaced and have 3 years more left on the warranty.

#22 ·
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. My research into the tire failure issue (sidewall bubbles) leads to the conclusion that the issue has to do with the tires being low profile. BMW has "come clean" on the issue and now acknowledges the problems associated with low profile tires (look at BMW's web site and the foot notes that they have inserted regarding the risks associated with low profile tires). If the problem were rooted in the tires being run flats, rather than low profile, why would BMW issue warnings on their web site for the risks associated with using low profile tires, but not include warnings regarding the run flats? BMW is now, in all probability, issuing the warnings to avoid liability (they are notifying customers of the risks and if the customers choose the low profile tires they are now assuming the risks) and BMW is issuing the warnings to motivate customers to buy their tire insurance (again they are disclosing the problem). If in fact the problems with the tires had to do with the tires being run flats, rather than the tires being low profile, or if in fact the problems with the tires had to do with a combination of both factors (run flat and low profile), I would have to believe that BMW would issue warnings for both reasons. It just would not be logical for BMW to issue a warning on the low profile issue, but to omit a warning on the run flat issue. Think about it. If BMW is attempting to avoid liability by issuing a warning in connection with the low profile tires and make money on tire insurance, why would they not issue a run flat warning to potentially avoid further liability and to make even more money on the tire insurance (they could then target customers who purchase the 528 which comes with the 17 inch rims with tires that are run flats, but not low profile).

#24 ·
@crmesq

There are not so many bubbles on sidewalls of ordinary tires.
So it seems it is a combination of factors; low profile gives a greater chance of damage and the construction of RFT's is more suspectable to sidewall bubbles.
Personnally I think it is more easy to make money on RFT tires than it is on donut wheels in the trunk. With or without insurance.
I would love to have a simple spare in my car.

#25 ·
i think it will be tough to get insured after the initial month owning the vehicle...also this is def a run flat issue not sure what tire you have but they all pretty much either bubble due to being too rigid on tread or burst due to being to rigid on sidewall...i know they have their pros...but bmw is def using this to sell insurance and to make tons of cash of those who dont have it. Here in nyc the pot holes are deep enough to swim in. most people selling tire insurance get dropped because of the amount of claims generated in nyc.

#26 ·
RFT fails galore in NYC

my car has been at BMW manhattan since monday, there are MANY cars in the service department sitting and waiting for new goodyear ls2 RFTs, and my car has not been promised back until at least tuesday of next week. My SA said she has "no idea" what to do as the tires are on backorder with no real time for them to arrive.

be VERY careful as it appears a) Goodyear sucks and b) they are completely overwhelmed by bubbles/failure of their tires in potholes.

oh another thing. i went in with one tire having a visible bubble, turns out i am getting 3 tires swapped out. whenever they come

oh one more thing, yeah they have no loaners available.

#27 ·
Same problems with the Dunlop RFTs. Just none available.

#28 ·
Yea, I've had similar experience back in August. TPMS alerts me to low pressure in one of the tires which turns out to be a nail. I have the wheel/tire insurance so I'm feeling good about the prospect of utilizing this plan. When I get to the dealer they inform me that they don't have any tires in-stock, nor are there any within the region. They pressurize the tire to spec, order a new tire and send me on my way. Several days later the new tire arrives at the dealership. While replacing the tire the service tech discovers a bent wheel. Another part not in-stock so I need to make another round trip to the dealer after waiting several days for the ordered wheel to arrive. Mind you, these are standard wheels/tires for the 535i Sport F10. While on one hand the warranty is honored and 'saves' me on the replacement cost. On the other hand the process has a major flaw when the simple task of replacing a flat tire becomes much more of a hassle than it has to be. Fortunately, I had no imminent travel plans and the flat wasn't catastrophic preventing me from driving more than 100 miles. To see that this supply issue is widespread and remains an issue is unacceptable, in my opinion. For me, I'd prefer having the option of traditional tires with a spare in the trunk. Something about relying on others to solve my problems leaves me feeling uncomfortable.

#34 ·
I have a full set of staggered 19" Goodyear Excellences with 7,100 miles on them that I will be selling as soon as I take pictures. THey are unmounted.

Let me know if you are interested.

#31 ·
Wouldn't it be cool if they'd make a car with a spare tire? I wonder if they could do this...and then tires don't need to be run-flat! :rofl:

#39 ·
If you are changing two or more tires out of pocket, and have been having issues with GYs and Dunlops, I suggest you try Michelins. They seem to be working better than the other brands for the ones who are using them, including myself.

I am not sure, however, if the tire insurance covers for only the same brands.

#43 ·
no mine came with the Goodyears unfortunately, though i have heard negative things about the way the primacys feel. in any event, i just got an update from my SA. she has no idea when the tires will come in. and still no loaner.

looks like the people's limosine for me this weekend.

#44 ·
I just found two bubbles on my M sport tires! One on each of the front tires. This sux, now I need a trip to the dealer. Worst part is I have not hit any jarring potholes you would normally associate with damaged tires/rims. I have hit my fair share of normal potholes though. Oh well, I only have 4000 miles, I was hoping to get to 15k or so miles and THEN have to replace them under warranty (I have the 5 year BMW insurance).

#45 ·
oh yeah another thing, in times like this, having BMW insurance is really important. my gully insurance had to come out and take pics. 3rd party is the pits. i still havent seen my first check.

and by the way, i have gone through 5 RFT since i picked my car up on thurs dec 23. so u are WAY ahead of the game

#51 ·
not if they're BMW package.
Besides, what's the point if you cannot get them for a month?

#56 ·
Tire unavailability is not limited to RFT's. Last year, there was nearly a 9 month backorder status for the Conti ExtremeContact DWS's.

Of course, being non RFT's, it wasn't as critical. I simply bought the Pilot Sport All seasons in their place. But they were more $$.

By the way, for those that really need a set, I am selling my OE Goodyears:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5847257#post5847257

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.