Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550ix
Idling and seats 550ix

A few things happened since I bought my new car about a month ago and even though they seem minor, I'm a little ticked about them since I thought such an expensive car should be close to perfect. So one day I finally had some time to go through all the settings and gizmos on board. Like the dealer said, if I wanted to do that, I should pull the car out of the garage and have the engine running so I don't waste the battery. I did that and I had it idling for about half an hour. Then, all of a sudden, the car started shaking and I got a message saying "Drive train malfunction". Afterwards, the engine stopped and would not start again. So I was very concerned, but it was late in the day so I couldn't call the dealer. I just left it alone till next morning when the engine started without any trouble but the check-engine light came on. I called service and they said it's probably gonna go away in a few days. I was concerned since I didn't think this should be so easily dismissed but they reassured me and indeed the light was off after three days. Once I had to wait for my wife in the car for about an hour and a half. It was cold out and I had my 2000 Corolla idling with the heat on and nothing bad happened. I just thought an expensive car should do better than that... Several other guys are reporting the same engine behavior after extended idling so this is probably not a fluke since other people are experiencing the same issue.

The other annoying thing was about the seats. When they showed me the multi-contour seats they had adjustable side bolsters (backrest width). But the dealer showed them to me in a 7 since he didn't have a 5 with optional seats on the floor at that time. Then I noticed that mine didn't have that. I mean they do have the side bolsters but they are immovable and the corresponding buttons are missing. The dealer knew excatly I was gonna buy a 5 but never said anything about the difference and he used terms like multi-contour, comfort and sport seats as if they were interchangeable. I did some additional research afterwards (obviously, too late) and found out that multi-contour (18-way) and comfort (20-way) seats exist, but the 18-way type is available as an option on the 5 series. Obviously, the dealer didn't say anything about that when he showed me the "multi-contour" ones that were probably comfort 20-way adjustable seats and I find that misleading.
Ads by Google
Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 550i
What gas do you put in it?
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650i 'vert & 03 530i
there has been alot of talk regarding the lost side bolsters on the comfort seats. The manual is not correct from what I heard, so I am not surprised the dealer did not know. seems like BMW left everyone in the US in the dark on this issue.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post
there has been alot of talk regarding the lost side bolsters on the comfort seats. The manual is not correct from what I heard, so I am not surprised the dealer did not know. seems like BMW left everyone in the US in the dark on this issue.
With my limited experience with at least 11 dealerships around NYC, most of them don't know anything about the car. When you ask a question, they look at the sticker and try to find an answer. That is a customer's side. Dealership don't want people who know everything about a car because they fear then customer won't be able to make a decision as their Knowledgable CA confused them between options and models.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: mercedes
I've had the same "drive train malfunction" error appear three times now. But both times the message goes away after I turn the engine off and on again. Did your dealer say this was a problem that needs to get fixed? Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, for some reason, my passenger seat sometimes makes a knocking sound when I drive over rough roads. It just doesn't appear locked down tightly, unlike my wife's mercedes, which has seats that are totally locked in. My drivers seat also feels a bit loose. Is that just the BMW way?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35d
The reason you check engine light came on was because BMW's shouldn't be left idling for more than it takes to warm the car up. Longer than that time. I'd say about 10 - 15 minutes. After that you can get what's called rich fumes. Which means the gas is building up from not being burnt properly since it's not being moved. That also has to do with the car not getting the air intake when the car is in idle than it would while the car is in movement.

It's a very common problem for all new cars hence the reason your Toyota never did that.

2011 BMW Z4 30i ~~ Jet Black ~~ Coral Red Kansas Leather ~ Ash Grain Wood Trim ~~ Sport Package w/ Adaptive M Suspension ~~ Sport Auto w/ paddle shifters, & 18" 276 ~~ Premium Sound~~ Premium ~~ Comfort Access ~~ Cold Weather ~~ Sat radio ~~ Smartphone Integration ~~
Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: '12 Active Hybrid 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp913 View Post
I've had the same "drive train malfunction" error appear three times now. But both times the message goes away after I turn the engine off and on again. Did your dealer say this was a problem that needs to get fixed? Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, for some reason, my passenger seat sometimes makes a knocking sound when I drive over rough roads. It just doesn't appear locked down tightly, unlike my wife's mercedes, which has seats that are totally locked in. My drivers seat also feels a bit loose. Is that just the BMW way?
Knocking sound is front passenger seatbelt buckle clanking against B pillar. Adjust to front of the seatback to prevent the rattling.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp913 View Post
. Is that just the BMW way?
Absolutely not. You have an issue.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
The reason you check engine light came on was because BMW's shouldn't be left idling for more than it takes to warm the car up. Longer than that time. I'd say about 10 - 15 minutes. After that you can get what's called rich fumes. Which means the gas is building up from not being burnt properly since it's not being moved. That also has to do with the car not getting the air intake when the car is in idle than it would while the car is in movement.

It's a very common problem for all new cars hence the reason your Toyota never did that.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Why a confused face??

2011 BMW Z4 30i ~~ Jet Black ~~ Coral Red Kansas Leather ~ Ash Grain Wood Trim ~~ Sport Package w/ Adaptive M Suspension ~~ Sport Auto w/ paddle shifters, & 18" 276 ~~ Premium Sound~~ Premium ~~ Comfort Access ~~ Cold Weather ~~ Sat radio ~~ Smartphone Integration ~~
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Black550i View Post
Knocking sound is front passenger seatbelt buckle clanking against B pillar. Adjust to front of the seatback to prevent the rattling.
I was just going to say that! I now know that when I hear that annoying rattle it is because someone was a passenger and changed the seat belt buckle adjustment on the B pillar. Easy fix if you know where it is coming from.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix MSport
My car was delivered to my home with 8 miles on it on a cold day in January. I sat in idle for 90 minutes playing around with stuff before I drove off. No issues, no malfunction lights.

Just want to present myself to those who have the issue wondering if BMWs are just like that. In my limited experience, the answer is no.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:

That's right, and the bad gas can make this problem worse, and N63 engine is especially susceptible to bad gas when idling, but OP doesn't answer, not sure why post then.
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXK View Post
What gas do you put in it?
Premium 92.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know about the fume build-up, but then again I'm no expert. I will avoid idling in the future. But I still think the dealer should have said something about it especially since he specifically instructed me to have the car idling while I go through all the settings on board. I'm sure part of it is, like somebody else here was saying, that sales people vary a lot in terms of knowledge.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyjmf05 View Post
My car was delivered to my home with 8 miles on it on a cold day in January. I sat in idle for 90 minutes playing around with stuff before I drove off. No issues, no malfunction lights.

Just want to present myself to those who have the issue wondering if BMWs are just like that. In my limited experience, the answer is no.
What you say kinda makes sense to me despite the very good explanation about fumes building up in the engine. I still find it a little unusual that such an expensive car from such a reputed maker would do that. Your case is the perfect example that not all of them do so it probably should't do that.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baragladina View Post
Premium 92.
Try Shell 93 a few times and see if the problem goes away.
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXK View Post
That's right, and the bad gas can make this problem worse, and N63 engine is especially susceptible to bad gas when idling, but OP doesn't answer, not sure why post then.
Probably not a gas problem in my case. I use Premium 92.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Just wanted to thank everybody one more time for their thoughts and insights.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baragladina View Post
Probably not a gas problem in my case. I use Premium 92.
I've never even seen Premium 93 available in the state of MN. Every pump maxes out at 92.

On Order: 2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007

BMWCCA #350568