Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Baragladina Baragladina is offline
Registered User
Location: Minnesota
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: BMW 550ix
Idling and seats 550ix

A few things happened since I bought my new car about a month ago and even though they seem minor, I'm a little ticked about them since I thought such an expensive car should be close to perfect. So one day I finally had some time to go through all the settings and gizmos on board. Like the dealer said, if I wanted to do that, I should pull the car out of the garage and have the engine running so I don't waste the battery. I did that and I had it idling for about half an hour. Then, all of a sudden, the car started shaking and I got a message saying "Drive train malfunction". Afterwards, the engine stopped and would not start again. So I was very concerned, but it was late in the day so I couldn't call the dealer. I just left it alone till next morning when the engine started without any trouble but the check-engine light came on. I called service and they said it's probably gonna go away in a few days. I was concerned since I didn't think this should be so easily dismissed but they reassured me and indeed the light was off after three days. Once I had to wait for my wife in the car for about an hour and a half. It was cold out and I had my 2000 Corolla idling with the heat on and nothing bad happened. I just thought an expensive car should do better than that... Several other guys are reporting the same engine behavior after extended idling so this is probably not a fluke since other people are experiencing the same issue.

The other annoying thing was about the seats. When they showed me the multi-contour seats they had adjustable side bolsters (backrest width). But the dealer showed them to me in a 7 since he didn't have a 5 with optional seats on the floor at that time. Then I noticed that mine didn't have that. I mean they do have the side bolsters but they are immovable and the corresponding buttons are missing. The dealer knew excatly I was gonna buy a 5 but never said anything about the difference and he used terms like multi-contour, comfort and sport seats as if they were interchangeable. I did some additional research afterwards (obviously, too late) and found out that multi-contour (18-way) and comfort (20-way) seats exist, but the 18-way type is available as an option on the 5 series. Obviously, the dealer didn't say anything about that when he showed me the "multi-contour" ones that were probably comfort 20-way adjustable seats and I find that misleading.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
DXK DXK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,135
Mein Auto: '11 550i
What gas do you put in it?
__________________
'14 550i M Sport on order for ED June 30, 2014
'11 550i Sport
'08 535i Sport, BMW Welt, Dec. 23, 2007
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM
nealh nealh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,002
Mein Auto: 08 650i 'vert & 03 530i
there has been alot of talk regarding the lost side bolsters on the comfort seats. The manual is not correct from what I heard, so I am not surprised the dealer did not know. seems like BMW left everyone in the US in the dark on this issue.
__________________
'11 535i Space Gray/Cinammon Brown/Anthracite/M-Sport/2TB/PP1&2,ZAV,ZCV,CWP,HUD,4zone,S&T camera,BMW apps..ED 06/27/11
'08 650i retired
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 PM
bfv bfv is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Underground
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 697
Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post
there has been alot of talk regarding the lost side bolsters on the comfort seats. The manual is not correct from what I heard, so I am not surprised the dealer did not know. seems like BMW left everyone in the US in the dark on this issue.
With my limited experience with at least 11 dealerships around NYC, most of them don't know anything about the car. When you ask a question, they look at the sticker and try to find an answer. That is a customer's side. Dealership don't want people who know everything about a car because they fear then customer won't be able to make a decision as their Knowledgable CA confused them between options and models.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM
sp913 sp913 is offline
Registered User
Location: new york
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: mercedes
I've had the same "drive train malfunction" error appear three times now. But both times the message goes away after I turn the engine off and on again. Did your dealer say this was a problem that needs to get fixed? Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, for some reason, my passenger seat sometimes makes a knocking sound when I drive over rough roads. It just doesn't appear locked down tightly, unlike my wife's mercedes, which has seats that are totally locked in. My drivers seat also feels a bit loose. Is that just the BMW way?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 PM
BMWfanatic87 BMWfanatic87 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Raleigh
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 369
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35d
The reason you check engine light came on was because BMW's shouldn't be left idling for more than it takes to warm the car up. Longer than that time. I'd say about 10 - 15 minutes. After that you can get what's called rich fumes. Which means the gas is building up from not being burnt properly since it's not being moved. That also has to do with the car not getting the air intake when the car is in idle than it would while the car is in movement.

It's a very common problem for all new cars hence the reason your Toyota never did that.
__________________
2012 BMW X5 35d ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Nevada Cinnamon Brown ~ Multi-contour seats ~ Dark Bamboo wood trim ~~ Sport Activity w/ 20" 214 RF ~~ Premium ~~ BMW apps ~~ Smartphone Integration ~~

2011 BMW Z4 30i ~~ Jet Black ~~ Coral Red Kansas Leather ~ Ash Grain Wood Trim ~~ Sport Package w/ Adaptive M Suspension ~~ Sport Auto w/ paddle shifters, & 18" 276 ~~ Premium Sound~~ Premium ~~ Comfort Access ~~ Cold Weather ~~ Sat radio ~~ Smartphone Integration ~~
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 PM
06Black550i's Avatar
06Black550i 06Black550i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: '12 Active Hybrid 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp913 View Post
I've had the same "drive train malfunction" error appear three times now. But both times the message goes away after I turn the engine off and on again. Did your dealer say this was a problem that needs to get fixed? Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, for some reason, my passenger seat sometimes makes a knocking sound when I drive over rough roads. It just doesn't appear locked down tightly, unlike my wife's mercedes, which has seats that are totally locked in. My drivers seat also feels a bit loose. Is that just the BMW way?
Knocking sound is front passenger seatbelt buckle clanking against B pillar. Adjust to front of the seatback to prevent the rattling.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,092
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp913 View Post
. Is that just the BMW way?
Absolutely not. You have an issue.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,092
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
The reason you check engine light came on was because BMW's shouldn't be left idling for more than it takes to warm the car up. Longer than that time. I'd say about 10 - 15 minutes. After that you can get what's called rich fumes. Which means the gas is building up from not being burnt properly since it's not being moved. That also has to do with the car not getting the air intake when the car is in idle than it would while the car is in movement.

It's a very common problem for all new cars hence the reason your Toyota never did that.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 AM
BMWfanatic87 BMWfanatic87 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Raleigh
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 369
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Why a confused face??
__________________
2012 BMW X5 35d ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Nevada Cinnamon Brown ~ Multi-contour seats ~ Dark Bamboo wood trim ~~ Sport Activity w/ 20" 214 RF ~~ Premium ~~ BMW apps ~~ Smartphone Integration ~~

2011 BMW Z4 30i ~~ Jet Black ~~ Coral Red Kansas Leather ~ Ash Grain Wood Trim ~~ Sport Package w/ Adaptive M Suspension ~~ Sport Auto w/ paddle shifters, & 18" 276 ~~ Premium Sound~~ Premium ~~ Comfort Access ~~ Cold Weather ~~ Sat radio ~~ Smartphone Integration ~~
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Emilner Emilner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LI, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,283
Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Black550i View Post
Knocking sound is front passenger seatbelt buckle clanking against B pillar. Adjust to front of the seatback to prevent the rattling.
I was just going to say that! I now know that when I hear that annoying rattle it is because someone was a passenger and changed the seat belt buckle adjustment on the B pillar. Easy fix if you know where it is coming from.
__________________


2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 AM
vandyjmf05 vandyjmf05 is offline
Registered User
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 2011 550ix MSport
My car was delivered to my home with 8 miles on it on a cold day in January. I sat in idle for 90 minutes playing around with stuff before I drove off. No issues, no malfunction lights.

Just want to present myself to those who have the issue wondering if BMWs are just like that. In my limited experience, the answer is no.
__________________
2011 BMW 550i Xdrive MSport Carbon Black
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 AM
DXK DXK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,135
Mein Auto: '11 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
The reason you check engine light came on was because BMW's shouldn't be left idling for more than it takes to warm the car up. Longer than that time. I'd say about 10 - 15 minutes. After that you can get what's called rich fumes. Which means the gas is building up from not being burnt properly since it's not being moved. That also has to do with the car not getting the air intake when the car is in idle than it would while the car is in movement.

It's a very common problem for all new cars hence the reason your Toyota never did that.
That's right, and the bad gas can make this problem worse, and N63 engine is especially susceptible to bad gas when idling, but OP doesn't answer, not sure why post then.
__________________
'14 550i M Sport on order for ED June 30, 2014
'11 550i Sport
'08 535i Sport, BMW Welt, Dec. 23, 2007
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Baragladina Baragladina is offline
Registered User
Location: Minnesota
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXK View Post
What gas do you put in it?
Premium 92.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Baragladina Baragladina is offline
Registered User
Location: Minnesota
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
The reason you check engine light came on was because BMW's shouldn't be left idling for more than it takes to warm the car up. Longer than that time. I'd say about 10 - 15 minutes. After that you can get what's called rich fumes. Which means the gas is building up from not being burnt properly since it's not being moved. That also has to do with the car not getting the air intake when the car is in idle than it would while the car is in movement.

It's a very common problem for all new cars hence the reason your Toyota never did that.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know about the fume build-up, but then again I'm no expert. I will avoid idling in the future. But I still think the dealer should have said something about it especially since he specifically instructed me to have the car idling while I go through all the settings on board. I'm sure part of it is, like somebody else here was saying, that sales people vary a lot in terms of knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Baragladina Baragladina is offline
Registered User
Location: Minnesota
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyjmf05 View Post
My car was delivered to my home with 8 miles on it on a cold day in January. I sat in idle for 90 minutes playing around with stuff before I drove off. No issues, no malfunction lights.

Just want to present myself to those who have the issue wondering if BMWs are just like that. In my limited experience, the answer is no.
What you say kinda makes sense to me despite the very good explanation about fumes building up in the engine. I still find it a little unusual that such an expensive car from such a reputed maker would do that. Your case is the perfect example that not all of them do so it probably should't do that.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM
DXK DXK is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,135
Mein Auto: '11 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baragladina View Post
Premium 92.
Try Shell 93 a few times and see if the problem goes away.
__________________
'14 550i M Sport on order for ED June 30, 2014
'11 550i Sport
'08 535i Sport, BMW Welt, Dec. 23, 2007
'06 330i Sport
'06 P Boxster
'02 C32 AMG
'99 328i
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Baragladina Baragladina is offline
Registered User
Location: Minnesota
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXK View Post
That's right, and the bad gas can make this problem worse, and N63 engine is especially susceptible to bad gas when idling, but OP doesn't answer, not sure why post then.
Probably not a gas problem in my case. I use Premium 92.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Baragladina Baragladina is offline
Registered User
Location: Minnesota
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: BMW 550ix
Just wanted to thank everybody one more time for their thoughts and insights.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Me530's Avatar
Me530 Me530 is online now
Happily Driving
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,791
Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baragladina View Post
Probably not a gas problem in my case. I use Premium 92.
I've never even seen Premium 93 available in the state of MN. Every pump maxes out at 92.
__________________
2013 X3 35i, Dealer Delivery July 2012
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

On Order: 2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007


BMWCCA #350568
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
idling problem, seats


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms