Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Plastic Man

Mein Auto: 750li
Please I need help - color choice

I am coming back to BMW. I have been gone for 4 years - previous BMW's 328, 330ci, M3, 528, 530, 545 then I drove a flat black Lexus GS450h for 3 years and currently driving a Smokey Granite Mica LS460 Sport currently. I am having Brembo brake issues and just got fed up and test drove a 535 and a 550. I have decided to I an going to trade my Lexus and get back in a BMW, I miss it a lot.
So I was going the Space Grey route but then my wife and got with me and I want Black Sapphire metallic but I also want the M package so I am torn now. Here is my config, I have 2 children 5 and 3 and live in Florida, s0 consider that please.

550i color choice Black, White, Dark Graphite Metallic or Tit Silver.
Int - Nappa Black with Anthracite, M Package, Ventilated Seats, Prem, Prem 2, Conveinience, OEM Carbon Spoiler, Rear Ent System

I like metallic colors, my wife wants me to get black or white, I am just torn on what to do. I do tint my windows and come from a world of also aftermarket wheels, but on this car I willmost likely not do itl I am have a great relationship with our dealer, a 535i we built just got put into production I am going to pass on that one I think. My deal is done I am turning in my lexus next week my old dealer is buying it back and letting me trade it, Anyhow I need big time help on making my mind up
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I only buy/lease black cars, so I'm not much help with your white/graphite dilemma.

However, my current E60 is black sapphire. In my opinion, it is the WORST paint job I have ever had on any vehicle I've ever owned. (This includes Jeeps and Fords and Audis.)

The metallic aspect has minimal depth and swirl marks are ever present.

As such, my F10 on order has Jet Black, NOT Black Sapphire.

That said, I'm meticulous about car care and know what I'm getting into, but I will likely never get another Black Sapphire BMW in my life.

If you're torn between these two, do yourself a favor and take some time to compare the two colors in sunlight and you'll see what I mean.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 E90 M3
Check this out for a good collection of various colors: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366814

I'm going with Dark Graphite. For me, it's a good compromise between going dark but not having to maintain it so frequently. If you're going the M Sport route, consider Carbon Black, which is awesome. It generally looks black, but has hues of blue in the sunlight. I think it's exclusive to the M Sport package as well.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Agree on Carbon black. I have a Jerez black M3 which is similar to CB and it's beautiful. It has an incredible shine when clean and make the car look like a jewel. I also have black interior which matches perfectly and feels sporty. However there is a downside. It quickly looks flat when it's not clean. That said I would without a doubt make the same choice again.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
I vote for Dark Graphite Metallic
Old 02-12-2011, 05:12 AM
Plastic Man

Dark Graphite is my choice - I do not like flat black cars too me they another me too car.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Having lived in Florida for over a decade and owned black exteriors on cars there, the heat can be pretty extreme. The interior may be more of a concern particulary with small chidren and no tint. Did the interior of your Lexus also have a black interior? What is your experience with that car with regard to climate? The ventilated seats should help from what I have read here, but am unsure if the back seats also have ventilation, as I am not considering this option. The kids will sit in child seats for awhile but the interior can still get pretty hot.

This car is one of the few cars that I like in white although its not a color I personally would buy. If you stay with the black interior I would go white or silver, but I prefer the darker exterior colors and would likely change the interior to cinamon with the black or graphite. The car I was ordering, however was carbon black with black interior, but I live in New York. My wife loved the carbon black the minute she saw it. With the M sport I'd consider it, because you can get black and blue. In Florida, with the amount of sunshine, that color will be a standout. I agree with you on the metallics and in Florida they will be enjoyed almost all of the time with no winters. Not sure why you do not want to tint as this would help with the interior if you stay with the black. Let us know which way you go.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:33 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
I only buy/lease black cars, so I'm not much help with your white/graphite dilemma.

However, my current E60 is black sapphire. In my opinion, it is the WORST paint job I have ever had on any vehicle I've ever owned. (This includes Jeeps and Fords and Audis.)

That said, I'm meticulous about car care and know what I'm getting into, but I will likely never get another Black Sapphire BMW in my life.

If you're torn between these two, do yourself a favor and take some time to compare the two colors in sunlight and you'll see what I mean.
I have bad news for you. If you think that Black Sapphire shows swirl marks all the time...wait until you see Jet Black.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-12-2011, 05:35 AM

Alpine White or Carbon Black.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-12-2011, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535i
I originally ordered my car in Black Sapphire, but changed it when I saw the F10 in Dark Graphite Metallic in person. Great color.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Plastic Man

Always tint with ceramic tint and with kids - black int only. Both my Lexus had black interior - hold sup well with kids. I am 95% Dark Graphite - I am going to look at Carbon in sun today but Dark graphite is most likely what I will do
Old 02-12-2011, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Nice color, will look great.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
I was torn between dark graphite and alpine white too.. I chose Alpine white because of the lower maintenance and it looks so sharp when clean.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I have bad news for you. If you think that Black Sapphire shows swirl marks all the time...wait until you see Jet Black.
I've been using a P&C and Menzerna for almost 10 years, I've mastered a great process. There's a lot more flexibility with a non-metallic paint for me to get the results I want.

But I agree, for the person who runs a car through car washes, a metallic is better (even the subpar metallic the BMW offers).

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
(Good riddance!)
Old 02-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
I just ordered on Monday. And I went with Space grey with black interior. With 2 kids, I have to go with a dark interior. I keep hearing that the SG is a very common color for this car. That's not the case here in Chicago. I actually rarely see this color. Mostly black and white.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:

I'm on my 3rd Black Sapphire and I guess I have to disagree. I think you'll have more issues with swirls on Jet Black since it is flat. The reality is that BMW paints are soft, I don't care what people will say about the "special" clearcoat formula. You have to treat BMW's (and MB's for that matter) with kid gloves and you'll still get surface scratches, I believe it's due to the water-based paints. Before I get flamed I'll just tell you I've owned about 20 cars, American, Japanese and German (VW, MB, BMW). My German car paint surfaces have been the worst as far as surface scratching. Japanese and American are basically impervious to swirling with normal (careful) washing techniques. Good luck with the Jet but I think you'll find the same issues.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-12-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Agree on Carbon black. I have a Jerez black M3 which is similar to CB and it's beautiful. It has an incredible shine when clean and make the car look like a jewel. I also have black interior which matches perfectly and feels sporty. However there is a downside. It quickly looks flat when it's not clean. That said I would without a doubt make the same choice again.
+1. Never had a CB myself but it's a beautiful color IMO.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
I just ordered on Monday. And I went with Space grey with black interior. With 2 kids, I have to go with a dark interior. I keep hearing that the SG is a very common color for this car. That's not the case here in Chicago. I actually rarely see this color. Mostly black and white.
So far I haven't seen many SG F10's. It's a nice medium-gray and should look very good with the black interior. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:

But I agree, for the person who runs a car through car washes, a metallic is better (even the subpar metallic the BMW offers).
I completely disagree with your assertation of "subpar metallic".

There is absolutely nothing subpar about the Dark Graphite, for sure.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Before I get flamed I'll just tell you I've owned about 20 cars, American, Japanese and German (VW, MB, BMW). My German car paint surfaces have been the worst as far as surface scratching. Japanese and American are basically impervious to swirling with normal (careful) washing techniques.
I would 100% agree with you on that statement. I would also say that Audi paint > MB paint > BMW paint (now there's a statement that will incite some flaming around here ).

(Good riddance!)
Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ronsell
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
I've got a Space Gray 528i with black interior--a very nice combination. Space
Gray may be quite common in some areas, but to me it is a classic color
and a good compromise between light and dark colors. I've received many
compliments on the color combination. I think you will be happy with your choice.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Plastic Man

This is what we are changing the build too on Monday - 550i - Graphite Metallic, Napa Black, Anthracite trim, M Sport Package, Prem and Prem 2, Conv. Package, Carbon Fin, Active ventilated Seats, Rear Ent.

Last edited by bturkel; 02-12-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535xi
IMHO, Space Grey is a great choice for a sunny climate like Florida. Sophisto Grey is a great compromise between SG and Black. Mine looks black when it's cloudy/dark outside and throws off a very complex charcoal grey in sunlight. The 5er looks great in ANY color--it's a matter of personal taste. Good Luck!

2011 535i X-drive | Sophisto Graphite/Cinnamon/Anthracite | Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Pkgs | NAV, PDC, Rear Cam, ipod/USB, split fold down seats |
Old 02-13-2011, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsell View Post
I've got a Space Gray 528i with black interior--a very nice combination. Space
Gray may be quite common in some areas, but to me it is a classic color
and a good compromise between light and dark colors. I've received many
compliments on the color combination. I think you will be happy with your choice.
Yes, this is exactly what I have and I love it! And, the color is common in Germany, but in US, at least in Cali, it's rare. Mostly black that I see.

2011 528i Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Dark Wood Trim / Prem Pack / Nav / PDC / USB-iPod

Last edited by gr8nrg; 02-13-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i
I strongly recommend you reconsider your decision tomorrow to get M Sports Package. Instead get the regular Sports Package. The ZMP option is quite a bit more expensive than the ZSP option and is definitley not woth the extra money. The differences are all cosmetic at best. Either save the extra money or if you are going to spend it, put it towards one of these useful options: active cruise control, heads-up display or active steering. Active cruise especially is good because it is a safety item. Beginning this 2011 model year BMW 5 series equipped with this option have a safety feature called "collison avoidance." Collision avoidance comes with active cruise and cannot be had without active cruise. This safety feature remains on even when the cruise control is off. It detects when a collision is imminent and warns the driver with lights and sound. If the collision is about to occur, the car pre-loads the brakes to allow for a much quikcer stopping reaction time and if needed, will actually automatically brake the car which reduces or avoides the damage from a collision accident. Besides, active cruise is a great feature for using as cruise control that then will adjust your speed to keep a safe following distance away from a slower-moving car that moves in front of you and then resumes when the car clears your path. The head-up display is a great option--it shows your speed, and navigation instructions without having to look down, an optical illusion makes this information appear to be above your hood. Very good for safety because you don't move your head and eyes down to the instrument cluster while driving.