Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 328i sedan, '02 525iT
Help diagnose my problem...starting problems on 328i sedan

So last night I'm playing musical cars in the driveway and go to start my '09 328i sedan with 6,300 miles on it. I had last driven it just 2 days prior. Never had any previous issues with it. I push the start button and it just makes a whining noise like it's trying to turn over but doesn't. I push the button again and it continues. Weird. I finally got it to stop by pushing it again.

I try again to start it and it just makes the same sound. I've got the clutch engaged. Then I wait a minute and give it some gas and it turns over. I drove it around the block and it was fine. I started it this morning (it was outside and about 45 degrees) and it started fine.

Any ideas? Should I worry or take it in. The onboard computer says it's not due for service until 10,000 miles.
2007 BMW 530xi wagon green/beige, sport, premium, cold weather
GONE
2002 BMW 525i topaz blue wagon
2009 BMW 328i montego blue sedan (european delivery 2009)
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2009, 10:17 PM
E60 to E90 to E92

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT
You sure it was a "whining" sound, or was it really a grinding sound? I just had my 330's starter replaced under warranty due to grinding noises it was making. The starter would crank, but right when the engine fires, the starter is still turning and overcranks, producing a grinding noise for like 1/2 a second. With the new starter, no more grinding.

2006 BMW E90 330i 6MT (Sparkling Graphite/Terra): retired
2008 BMW E60 Dinan M5 SMG (Indianapolis Red/Black): retired
2006 BMW E60 Dinan 550i 6MT (Titanium Grey/Auburn): retired
Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleez View Post
You sure it was a "whining" sound, or was it really a grinding sound? I just had my 330's starter replaced under warranty due to grinding noises it was making. The starter would crank, but right when the engine fires, the starter is still turning and overcranks, producing a grinding noise for like 1/2 a second. With the new starter, no more grinding.
I wouldn't say it was a grinding sound....just the sound it makes right before the engine turns over and fires...it just kept doing that. Like when you've got a dead battery.

Car started up fine today. I'm just a bit worried and don't want to get stranded. The starter shouldn't go bad so soon should it?
GONE
Old 11-03-2009, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
X5 Starting and 1st Gear Issues

My X5 seems to be having similar problems as yours. I took it to a BMW repair shop (not a dealership) just to get the codes checked, and the mechanic told me it was a Thermostat issue. HOWEVER, it's not overheating, the heat is fine, the engine temp is perfect - so I'm skeptical about this guy's diagnosis now...

Ocassionally on start-up it will take a few extra seconds than normal. Giving it a little gas seems to expedite the process. The outside temperature seems to make no difference whatsoever. The worst part is that I'll be at a stop light / stop sign / or MOST DANGEROUSLY pulling out of a parking lot across a lane of traffic and it will just stall right out unless I really rev up the engine / give it extra gas than normal. Then I'll have to restart the engine, and when this happens, afterwards it ALWAYS needs a push on the gas peddle to turn over. And when this happens, it's only in first gear. And it doesnt always happen - I'd say it's getting more frequent, which concerns me, but it's still intermittent. Once it gets running - 2nd, 3rd, 4th... - I've got no problems at all - she runs beautifully.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks. - Travis
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Ahh! Fall Weather!

Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by soledoc View Post
So last night I'm playing musical cars in the driveway and go to start my '09 328i sedan with 6,300 miles on it. I had last driven it just 2 days prior. Never had any previous issues with it. I push the start button and it just makes a whining noise like it's trying to turn over but doesn't. I push the button again and it continues. Weird. I finally got it to stop by pushing it again.

I try again to start it and it just makes the same sound. I've got the clutch engaged. Then I wait a minute and give it some gas and it turns over. I drove it around the block and it was fine. I started it this morning (it was outside and about 45 degrees) and it started fine.

Any ideas? Should I worry or take it in. The onboard computer says it's not due for service until 10,000 miles.
Take it in. Have them check the battery. That happened to me with my 2005 545i.

Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-09/02/2014: 9.25 great years on Bimmerfest!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:07 AM

Mine is due for service in 2000 miles. I'll probably wait until then. It hasn't done it since.
GONE
Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Ahh! Fall Weather!

Quote:
Mine is due for service in 2000 miles. I'll probably wait until then. It hasn't done it since.
Do you have i Drive? Might help to go through the service screens to make sure everything lists as "okay".

Even if you don't, you can use the turn signal buttons to scroll through and make sure everything is okay.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
Do you have i Drive? Might help to go through the service screens to make sure everything lists as "okay".

Even if you don't, you can use the turn signal buttons to scroll through and make sure everything is okay.
No idrive. I did the self diagnostic check and got the all OK.
GONE
Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Ahh! Fall Weather!

Quote:
No idrive. I did the self diagnostic check and got the all OK.
Then I wouldn't worry about it. When I had sluggish turnover in my 545i, an icon for weak battery appeared on my dash.

However, if it happens again-warning icon or no warning icon-I would take it in.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roleez View Post
I have a 2006 330i as well. I have noticed that it takes an extra second or two to crank over in the morning (just on the first start of the day). The extra force that it takes to fully start is sometimes accompanied by a metalic rattling noise. All other starts for the day are very smooth. Car runs great - it is just the starting in the morning I am worried about. Car still under warranty for another 7 month and I want to get this fixed. Does this issue sound like a starter problem???

2006 330i - ED
Ordered - April 8, 2006 (1st BMW )
Scheduled for Production - May 1, 2006
ED pick up date - June 9, 2006
ED drop off (Munich) - June 18, 2006
ReDelivery - July 27, 2006
Old 11-05-2009, 10:32 AM
E60 to E90 to E92

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwesq View Post
I have a 2006 330i as well. I have noticed that it takes an extra second or two to crank over in the morning (just on the first start of the day). The extra force that it takes to fully start is sometimes accompanied by a metalic rattling noise. All other starts for the day are very smooth. Car runs great - it is just the starting in the morning I am worried about. Car still under warranty for another 7 month and I want to get this fixed. Does this issue sound like a starter problem???
You are getting intermittent starter 'oveerrun'. That metallic noise you describe is a grinding sound, the same sound you'd get if you attempt to start a car (with a key ignition) whose engine is already running. Take your car in overnight to your dealer so they can diagnose a cold start the next norning. Got a new starter (actually a remaufactured one) out of it.

2006 BMW E90 330i 6MT (Sparkling Graphite/Terra): retired
2008 BMW E60 Dinan M5 SMG (Indianapolis Red/Black): retired
2006 BMW E60 Dinan 550i 6MT (Titanium Grey/Auburn): retired
Old 01-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325XI
Grinding Noise on Cold Startup

I am the original owner and have approximately 56,000 miles on the clock and i experienced the same problem. I was under suspect that it was the starter; however, i paid the dealership to "diagnosis" the problem and sure enough it was a bad starter. The dealer ship quoted me 960.00 to replace.

I opted to have the work performed by another place in town "German Auto Service" with an estimate of only 599, wow what a deal.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwesq View Post
I am currently experiencing this same issue however it has only been the last 3 days albeit 3 days in a row now. I was hoping it was a one time thing and it would go away but 3 days in a row, means it's here and it's likely staying. I do have a bit of difference though. I get the start after about 2-3 secs of cranking after pushing in the button on the first try of the day in the morning, weather is not a factor in So Cal, nothing freezing or anything like that, and up until 3 days ago, it would start the instant i pushed the start button with no issues. It's only the first start attempt of the day, I do not have this problem at any other times or subsequent attempts for the rest of the day. No issues with idling rough or shifting issues either, just purely at the first start up attempt when I push the button in, it has to crank 2-3 secs before it ignites...I am puzzled.

I am not getting any metal noises or grinding sounds of any kind. I did however use off brand gas as my last tank. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I remembered my wife making a smart ass comment to me at the time on Sunday about how "that" cheap gas is going to "break" my car....laughed it off but did read some posts elsewhere where few others claimed that a bad batch of gas caused starting issues...so now I'm not really sure if she was right on.

Not sure if this is a battery issue, fuel pump or a starter that is going bad....any thoughts or advice from the mechanically inclined?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 330
Thank you all for posting this information. I am now experiencing this same whining noise. Got out of work and started the car, heard a weird jingling sounding noise coming from the engine. Shutoff the car and then turned it back on. Noise continued noticed I was a quart of oil down so went to auto store. shutoff car put a quart of oil went to start the car and now it only does this whining noise when pushing the start button. It only does this whining for 10 seconds then stops. Doesn't start though 2006 BMW 330i 223,000 miles.