Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-22-2015, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 320i
BMW Transmssion Fluid

hi guys!

I am new here. Recently, I bought a used 2010 BMW 320i and has clocked 91k mileage.

Please kindly advise if I should replace the transmission fluid now? Please advise the type of fluid best suited for this E model.

Thank you so much in advance.

Kind Regards,
William
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
You didn't say automatic or manual.

You didn't say automatic or manual.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:08 AM

bmw automatic transmission fluid

hi, it is an automatic car. what is the best transmission fluid you would recommend?

thanks,
BW
Old 08-23-2015, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
You can never go wrong with BMW's ZF Fluid (primarily for ZF Transmissions) but it isn't cheap. Check your manual for the specs required and then search. Redline also makes a good blend but make sure you get the correct spec fluid so you don't have any regrets.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:39 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Will View Post
I am new here. Recently, I bought a used 2010 BMW 320i and has clocked 91k mileage.

Please kindly advise if I should replace the transmission fluid now? Please advise the type of fluid best suited for this E model.

There is a universal BMW info site you should use to answer questions like this - [click here]

Regardless of any recommendation sourced from an Internet forum, your BMW dealer will provide you with the optimal fluid for this job. You might get the info there; search for a low cost Internet vendor.

Bear in mind: Buying from discount Internet vendors will cut into your local BMW Dealer's yearly profit. Are you sure that's what you want to do?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
You can never go wrong with BMW's ZF Fluid (primarily for ZF Transmissions) but it isn't cheap. Check your manual for the specs required and then search. Redline also makes a good blend but make sure you get the correct spec fluid so you don't have any regrets.

Thank you for your reply and appreciate your advice here..
Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 AM

hi, so I could replace the auto transmission fluid om my beemer model 320i. I was told this is lifetime but hard to believe as the weather here is so hot most of the time..
Old 08-23-2015, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi Barrique Red
Quote:
hi, so I could replace the auto transmission fluid om my beemer model 320i. I was told this is lifetime but hard to believe as the weather here is so hot most of the time..
Its not just about hot weather, the viscosity of transmission fluid breaks down over time and the transmission will eventually lose hydraulic pressure at the solenoids and etc and the shifts will get sloppy and bad. The best thing to do is upgrade the transmission cooler depending on the one you have now. It will extend the life of your transmission fluid when you change it out with new fluid. I never buy into that lifetime fluid crap. Gear fluids should be changed out every 50k miles even though BMW recommends certain lifetime fluids be changed at around 100k miles.

Last edited by strongheart; 08-23-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongheart View Post
Its not just about hot weather, the viscosity of transmission fluid breaks down over time and the transmission will eventually lose hydraulic pressure at the solenoids and etc and the shifts will get sloppy and bad. The best thing to do is upgrade the transmission cooler depending on the one you have now. It will extend the life of your transmission fluid when you change it out with new fluid. I never buy into that lifetime fluid crap. Gear fluids should be changed out every 50k miles even though BMW recommends certain lifetime fluids be changed at around 100k miles.
Interesting. Never heard about that piece of advice. Hard to do?
Old 08-23-2015, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
Quote:
hi guys!

Thank you so much in advance.

Kind Regards,
William
be careful with on line purchases, i once purchased the GM fluid on line(German made) and it was 3 YEARS OLD. all sources told me it was still ok -- within 3 years

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods
Old 08-23-2015, 03:38 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert/14JGC/ 13Outback
First verify that your transmission is either GM or ZF. ZF typically has a green and metal data plate. Once you know it is for sure ZF then you can use the correct Life Guard fluid. This is a fully synthetic lube and doing a drain and fill is always a good idea at around 50K miles. ZF recommendation NOT BMW which specs 100K miles. If your transmission is a -19TU or -21 you can use Mercon SP as well which can be locally sourced and is about 1/3-1/4 the cost per L. ZF builds transmissions for a lot of auto manufacturers and use a common fluid like LF5-6-8.
I never noticed any difference doing a drain and fill but I do them at a much shorter interval too around 40K miles on the ZF auto transmissions I have owned...
Old 08-24-2015, 07:00 PM

Transmission fluid

thank you so much for your reply and advice.

My beemer 320I has clocked 91k (km) in mileage. I believe it is high time to change. But the BMW workshop here does not have this service to replace or change transmission fluids. The service advisors told me that German did not include this nature of servicing! Very interesting..
Old 08-24-2015, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
this thread answers all your question

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=733273
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue