Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
Security Code

Hi every one,
This is my first post to the forum but any way I have a 740il and when i put the code into the computer wich is the additional security feature it goes away after I turn the key off and start it up. I notice this when i do it right a way and when i enter the code let it sit for a couple of hours and turn the key no code. Does any one know what is going on with the security system or computer.
Ads by Google
Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 750iL
frankly, I have no idea what you are asking.

First, what year is your car? That helps us know what security system you are working with.
Second, re-phrase your question so we can understand. You say "...it goes away after I turn the key off and start it up." This doesn't make any sense. When you turn the key off, the engine dies. You have to turn the key (ignition) on before you can start it up. BMW uses key positions. For example, in my 98 750iL, position 0 allows removal of the key from the lock. Position 1 unlocks the steering column and will allow you to turn on the radio. Position 2 turns on all electircal systems. Position 3 is a momemtary position and egnages the starter motor until the engine starts. The engine will not run unless the key is in position 2.

rp
Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Proud ***** of se7en

Send a message via Yahoo to bigg fella
Mein Auto: 2001 740 iL
I believe he's referring to the feature where you need to put in the 4 digit code to start the car a la Transporter...

sent from the EVO baby!