Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Car rejected from service department.(Horrible experience)

Made an appointment to get a loaner. They brought me in said the car was fine without even looking at the car (reset the computer and told me to leave).

I asked if my headlights could be adjusted and they said 2011s are fine.

I cheaped out on 40k for a cayenne turbo and I am paying the price. GLAD I DID NOT BUY THIS CAR.

They said mustard clumps in my oil head are normal......

Now I did not get a loaner left in 5 minutes....any way I can reimburssed for gas and time lost due to my job?

Waste of my time, Porsche never did this to my gf's car they would lend me a turbo if I asked.

UNREAL!
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, M3 CiC
You should be very upset with customer service like what you describe. But why are you complaining about a Porsche service dept on this site? This is a BMW forum.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drharley View Post
You should be very upset with customer service like what you describe. But why are you complaining about a Porsche service dept on this site? This is a BMW forum.
No I said I went with a bmw vs a porsche and since I did went cheap I am paying the price.

Knew BMW was a shady company, they are not exclusive too many on the road so they get overwhelmed probably.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Which dealer did you go to? This is a dealer specific situation, the one you went to obviously sucked but it does not reflect BMW as a whole. On the contrary the two dealers I have worked with either in sales or service were professional.

"Knew BMW was a shady company", now thats a hot comment!

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post
No I said I went with a bmw vs a porsche and since I did went cheap I am paying the price.

Knew BMW was a shady company, they are not exclusive too many on the road so they get overwhelmed probably.
Are you in rural upstate? Cayenne's are a dime a dozen here just as in the X5.

Which dealer?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
Which dealer did you go to? This is a dealer specific situation, the one you went to obviously sucked but it does not reflect BMW as a whole. On the contrary the two dealers I have worked with either in sales or service were professional.

"Knew BMW was a shady company", now thats a hot comment!
the one I bought from...I had a loaner etc. Problem is I can drive to another one in the lower part of CT 1+ ride. And I don't feel like being told my car is fine I can just reset the errors.

How do you know a car is fine, by not even touching it? BMW is a great company (on paper) but lack the follow through. Too many people to service etc.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nello3 View Post
Are you in rural upstate? Cayenne's are a dime a dozen here just as in the X5.

Which dealer?
no in CT and I shall refrain from names. Looking back I saw maybe 10+ cars coming in. Meant they are overwhelmed. And since BMW covers all maitenance unless the car is about to blow up I doubt they care.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:03 AM

Why would you want to refrain from naming names? I am sure people who live near you would want to know who the bad dealers are, this is the reason we have the internet.

Retired

Current
Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 AM

I go to Bayside and Bloomfield, they are great.

Retired

Current
Old 02-14-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Does Bloomfield give loaners even if you didn't buy the car there? I priced the X5 there and was very impressed how the dealership was run.

+1 with naming names. Let others know about a bad dealership.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Does Bloomfield give loaners even if you didn't buy the car there? I priced the X5 there and was very impressed how the dealership was run.

+1 with naming names. Let others know about a bad dealership.
can't speak for everyone, but maybe it was because my car was not in any danger??

Although if I spend my time and money to take it in they should atleast pop the hood and see what is wrong...

I am no car expert, but mustard clumps in the oil can't be good....I am surprised no one looked at it.

Also I had to wait a week, requested a loaner too. I feel I should call back and get some sort of compensation for doing my part.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
can't speak for everyone, but maybe it was because my car was not in any danger??

Although if I spend my time and money to take it in they should atleast pop the hood and see what is wrong...

I am no car expert, but mustard clumps in the oil can't be good....I am surprised no one looked at it.

Also I had to wait a week, requested a loaner too. I feel I should call back and get some sort of compensation for doing my part.
Treat this like a doctor and get a second opinion and make it a point to call BMWUSA and file a complaint about your experience at the first dealer. Get names of those who refused to open the hood.

If you think BMW gives bad service then I dare you to buy a Mercedes and take it to Benzel Busch in Englewood, NJ or Manhattan Mercedes. Dreadful.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
Although I don't live in that part of the country and probably never will, if I did I'd be mad at you for not posting the name of this dealer and exposing me to potential trouble of the same kind.

By coming on this forum we implicitly agree to help in return for being helped. No one can enforce this of course.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Treat this like a doctor and get a second opinion and make it a point to call BMWUSA and file a complaint about your experience at the first dealer. Get names of those who refused to open the hood.

If you think BMW gives bad service then I dare you to buy a Mercedes and take it to Benzel Busch in Englewood, NJ or Manhattan Mercedes. Dreadful.
Oh I am sure there are worse... Since I leased it, I guess I will just drive it till it blows. I was worried there is a leak in there with the turbo or something.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2011 550i
Interesting. I have owned BMW's for about 25 years. While some models have been less than totally reliable, in my experience, the dealers have been very professional about how they go about repairing the cars. I have dealt with four in all. I am sure there are some bad apples out there; there always are. When you find them, move on! They are not typical.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d, 2008 135 conv
I used the service facility that's shared by Greenwich BMW and Pace BMW (Pace is in Mamaroneck). It's a beautiful facility. Spotless. Both dealerships are are owned by DCH...which some view as the Darth Vader of the car dealer world. I can report no bad experiences with them in either sales or service...and we're into our 5th car with them. They do a large volume in service, but are staffed to handle it. The same SA's have been there for years. The foreman knows me by name and is always available for a drive to diagnose the rattles. They got the BMWNA technician to make a housecall for my tow hitch. Pretty satisfied.

You do need to make an appointment for a loaner there -- and no matter where you bought the car, they will give you one.
2009 MINI Clubman S Astro Black/Tan

Last edited by Lunablue; 02-14-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunablue View Post
I used the service facility that's shared by Greenwich BMW and Pace BMW (Pace is in Mamaroneck). It's a beautiful facility. Spotless. Both dealerships are are owned by DCH...which some view as the Darth Vader of the car dealer world. I can report no bad experiences with them in either sales or service...and we're into our 5th car with them. They do a large volume in service, but are staffed to handle it. The same SA's have been there for years. The foreman knows me by name and is always available for a drive to diagnose the rattles. They got the BMWNA technician to make a housecall for my tow hitch. Pretty satisfied.

You do need to make an appointment for a loaner there -- and no matter where you bought the car, they will give you one.
Darien/Greenwich are just a tad bit too far. I am in upper portion of fairfield county.

I called a week ahead and had to wait a week for the loaner. I agreed. As soon as I show up they said I would be in an out. I stayed there a total of 5 minutes.

I am sure everywhere is not like that...all they did was go into idrive and tell me to reset the service icon lol.

My experience in the trucking industry is that if a computer is flashing a warning, all hell will break loose sooner than later.

in b4 my next thread " massive leak in engine help!!"
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Made an appointment to get a loaner. They brought me in said the car was fine without even looking at the car (reset the computer and told me to leave).

I asked if my headlights could be adjusted and they said 2011s are fine.

I cheaped out on 40k for a cayenne turbo and I am paying the price. GLAD I DID NOT BUY THIS CAR.

They said mustard clumps in my oil head are normal......
OP, reading your post again, and maybe it's just me, but I find it sorta confusing.

First, what did you take it in for (symptom-wise) and what exactly did they do to 'reset' whatever?

Re the headlights, what is/was wrong that you wanted them adjusted?

Re "GLAD I DID NOT BUY THIS CAR"... which one? The Porsche? That's the one you didn't buy, correct?

Re mustard clumps - I'm no tech but this sounds weird. Can you elucidate? Does this mean something that looks like mustard? I hope so, unless you've been using your X5 to grind mustard seeds somehow.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM

"Re the headlights, what is/was wrong that you wanted them adjusted?"

Proly to adjust them to become like the Euro white LEDs.

Retired

Current
Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
"Re the headlights, what is/was wrong that you wanted them adjusted?"

Proly to adjust them to become like the Euro white LEDs.
WADR, that is a modification, not an adjustment. So if that's what he wanted, then I'm even more confused. Otherwise I'd like to have my 35D engine 'adjusted' to be a 40D.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
OP, reading your post again, and maybe it's just me, but I find it sorta confusing.

First, what did you take it in for (symptom-wise) and what exactly did they do to 'reset' whatever?

Re the headlights, what is/was wrong that you wanted them adjusted?

Re "GLAD I DID NOT BUY THIS CAR"... which one? The Porsche? That's the one you didn't buy, correct?

Re mustard clumps - I'm no tech but this sounds weird. Can you elucidate? Does this mean something that looks like mustard? I hope so, unless you've been using your X5 to grind mustard seeds somehow.
1) if you open the cap to put oil in its all caked with yellow clumps of oil/substance.
2)Should have gotten the porsche, never had that problem. If I wanted a turbo as a loaner they would give me it.
3) My low beams are low and wanted them raised up, "I was told 2011 models are fine"
4) I called a week ago to get an appointment and waited a week to get a loaner.
5) all they did was reset the computer in my Idrive. I could have done that at home
Old 02-14-2011, 11:28 AM

"if you open the cap to put oil in its all caked with yellow clumps of oil/substance"

Cracked head gasket in the engine, MAJOR PROBLEM, lucky you are still under warranty, this repair will cost an arm and two legs, maybe three. Take it to another dealer ASAP before anyone can say you failed to address the problem on time, you damaged the engine and now the repair is on your dime!

Retired

Current
Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
"if you open the cap to put oil in its all caked with yellow clumps of oil/substance"

Cracked head gasket in the engine, MAJOR PROBLEM, lucky you are still under warranty, this repair will cost an arm and two legs, maybe three. Take it to another dealer ASAP before anyone can say you failed to address the problem on time, you damaged the engine and now the repair is on your dime!
I would have complained if I bought the car but, makes me wonder especially this dealer how pre owned are etc....

Its Bridgeport, BMW btw. Should have stuck with Ridgefield, but they own it apparently.

Darien is about an 45 min away and I don't feel like going there.

I am no care expert, but I assumed that is a huge problem. Any advice on where to take it from here? call the manager and tell them I will be going to another dealer for service??
Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
This has nothing to do with BMW as a whole, this is a dealer specific issue, I would recommend you get a new dealer. I can always get loaners even at times on 1 day notice, always have excellent customer service, have had people offer house calls, ride arounds, keeping car for 1-2 days while I have a loaner to diagnose something if necessary (or wait for a part). I am so impressed with the dealership that I never really mind having to go in ocassionally for service. I grab a couple lattes, hop in my loaner and come back when they give me a ring.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihumphrey View Post
This has nothing to do with BMW as a whole, this is a dealer specific issue, I would recommend you get a new dealer. I can always get loaners even at times on 1 day notice, always have excellent customer service, have had people offer house calls, ride arounds, keeping car for 1-2 days while I have a loaner to diagnose something if necessary (or wait for a part). I am so impressed with the dealership that I never really mind having to go in ocassionally for service. I grab a couple lattes, hop in my loaner and come back when they give me a ring.
how does that work if I flip dealers since all my paperwork was done through them?