Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
"how does that work if I flip dealers since all my paperwork was done through them?"

You are kidding right?!

So lets say you bought the X5 in CT and then you moved to Alaska...... hmmm.....

Any problems you may have down the road you have to bring the X5 back to the same dealer in CT......

doesn't make any sense now does it.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 02-14-2011, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonitep View Post
I would have complained if I bought the car but, makes me wonder especially this dealer how pre owned are etc....

Its Bridgeport, BMW btw. Should have stuck with Ridgefield, but they own it apparently.

Darien is about an 45 min away and I don't feel like going there.

I am no care expert, but I assumed that is a huge problem. Any advice on where to take it from here? call the manager and tell them I will be going to another dealer for service??
I wouldn't necessarily rule out Ridgefield BMW. Same parent company, but different employees. It wouldn't hurt to give them a shot.

I used to commute to Ridgefield daily from Hoboken, NJ. My office was in that little village square area in front of the Kohl's. Talk about a soul-crushing commute.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
"how does that work if I flip dealers since all my paperwork was done through them?"

You are kidding right?!

So lets say you bought the X5 in CT and then you moved to Alaska...... hmmm.....

Any problems you may have down the road you have to bring the X5 back to the same dealer in CT......

doesn't make any sense now does it.
what about disposition fees etc...sure I pay bmw directly..but does not seem that easy. Like I would have to sign off I am taking the car to another dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nello3 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily rule out Ridgefield BMW. Same parent company, but different employees. It wouldn't hurt to give them a shot.

I used to commute to Ridgefield daily from Hoboken, NJ. My office was in that little village square area in front of the Kohl's. Talk about a soul-crushing commute.
maybe better. Bridgeport is sleezy anyway.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, M3 CiC
Quote:
1) if you open the cap to put oil in its all caked with yellow clumps of oil/substance.
2)Should have gotten the porsche, never had that problem. If I wanted a turbo as a loaner they would give me it.
3) My low beams are low and wanted them raised up, "I was told 2011 models are fine"
4) I called a week ago to get an appointment and waited a week to get a loaner.
5) all they did was reset the computer in my Idrive. I could have done that at home
If you drive short distances, the engine will never reach proper operating temp and your oil will appear to have clumps of yellowish goo on the cap and if you pulled the engine covers, it would be all over the valves, etc. Low beams must be set at a certain height to pass state inspection; raising them up may create a hazard to oncoming vehicles.What did you tell the service rep when you made the appt? Maybe they did not understand what you wanted? Bad dealerships are bad dealerships. My BMW dealer in Pennsylvania is great. My son's BMW dealer in New York (Queens/Nassau County locale) is terrible to deal with and does not give loaners. Finally, where did you lease the vehicle? Private company or BMW dealership? It should not make a difference, but it might. At the end of the day: The answer to your problem is go to a different dealer.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drharley View Post
If you drive short distances, the engine will never reach proper operating temp and your oil will appear to have clumps of yellowish goo on the cap and if you pulled the engine covers, it would be all over the valves, etc. Low beams must be set at a certain height to pass state inspection; raising them up may create a hazard to oncoming vehicles.What did you tell the service rep when you made the appt? Maybe they did not understand what you wanted? Bad dealerships are bad dealerships. My BMW dealer in Pennsylvania is great. My son's BMW dealer in New York (Queens/Nassau County locale) is terrible to deal with and does not give loaners. Finally, where did you lease the vehicle? Private company or BMW dealership? It should not make a difference, but it might. At the end of the day: The answer to your problem is go to a different dealer.

Yup we got two bmws from them......I upheld my part of the deal and since they did not even inspect the car I am demanding a 7 series loaner. If not I am going to Darien....and my dad will go their too.

Only compensation for my time/gas wasted.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 PM
DeanLinAZ

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i Sport Act.
Samsonitep:

If you used the same attitude with your service rep that you used in your original post, I'm not suprised that the dealer refused you a loaner. You catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, I'm told.

Previous: 2008 535i, 2001 740iL (euro del)
Old 02-14-2011, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Yup we got two bmws from them......I upheld my part of the deal and since they did not even inspect the car I am demanding a 7 series loaner. If not I am going to Darien....and my dad will go their too.

Only compensation for my time/gas wasted.
LOL!

OP, all you do is bitch and complain about everything. Maybe if you stopped acting like the spoiled brat that you are you'd actually see some results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanLinAZ View Post
Samsonitep:

If you used the same attitude with your service rep that you used in your original post, I'm not suprised that the dealer refused you a loaner. You catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, I'm told.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
LOL!

OP, all you do is bitch and complain about everything. Maybe if you stopped acting like the spoiled brat that you are you'd actually see some results.

Hells yeah!

Filed a complaint with BMW North America for refusing to look under my car hood. Having a rep from them contact me and the dealer.

EDIT: IN ON EPIC THREAD

Last edited by samsonitep; 02-14-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
It's NY! Whaddya 'spect?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
Pretty sure English is a second language for the OP and that may be causing some (a lot of?) confusion.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
OP, where exactly is the yellow gunk? If it's under the cap, that's normal and partly your fault for not driving it for longer distances, at speed. Condensation builds up and mixes with oil vapors. If it's actually inside the engine, like if you can see it if you remove the valve cover or shine a flashlight thru, then something major is up and coolant and oil is mixing. I highly doubt that because you'd have other major issues.

Your headlights are fine. Low beams are supposed to be low. Unless they are point directly in front of the car. Are you trying to blind people? If really want them that high, you can DIY. Just turn a couple knobs a few times.

X5s and Cayennes are like Civics and Corollas in many parts of NY, NJ, CT. Exclusivity is a joke. Everyone and their grandma has a BMW, even with sport package. So please get off your high horse.

Sounds like you have a bit of buyers regret (or lease regret). You should have went with the car you wanted (glorified VW Touareg, yes diff engine but it is what it is).

Also, a bit of niceness, smiling, greeting, well wishing, good manners, and good attitude goes a long way and will give the servicemen reasons to be extra nice to you.

Point of entire post: your car is probably fine. Be nice to service guys. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanLinAZ View Post
Samsonitep:

Troof. My dealer has a policy of not allowing loaners - but with a nice conversation and a box of bagels with the trimmings, I get a loaner every time I need one. Even when I was leaving town for a day, they had no problems. The way you treat people will have an effect on how they respond to your requests.

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
OP, where exactly is the yellow gunk? If it's under the cap, that's normal and partly your fault for not driving it for longer distances, at speed. Condensation builds up and mixes with oil vapors. If it's actually inside the engine, like if you can see it if you remove the valve cover or shine a flashlight thru, then something major is up and coolant and oil is mixing. I highly doubt that because you'd have other major issues.

Your headlights are fine. Low beams are supposed to be low. Unless they are point directly in front of the car. Are you trying to blind people? If really want them that high, you can DIY. Just turn a couple knobs a few times.

X5s and Cayennes are like Civics and Corollas in many parts of NY, NJ, CT. Exclusivity is a joke. Everyone and their grandma has a BMW, even with sport package. So please get off your high horse.

Sounds like you have a bit of buyers regret (or lease regret). You should have went with the car you wanted (glorified VW Touareg, yes diff engine but it is what it is).

Also, a bit of niceness, smiling, greeting, well wishing, good manners, and good attitude goes a long way and will give the servicemen reasons to be extra nice to you.

Point of entire post: your car is probably fine. Be nice to service guys. Good luck.
Lol I have never seen a 2011 cayenne turbo yet. X5m or even a rarely a brand new Range Rover supercharged.

On top my cars never experienced that Lamborghini, Bentley etc. Secondly that is not normal...........anyone who knows cars will concur that any sort of build up is a design flaw in the car. So I am punished for driving my car incorrectly???

I am tired of being nice get pushed around too much. My hourly rate is not cheap and potential business lost is greater than any service on the car. They should have told me to do the reset at home.

Its professionalism. If you can't do the job tell me and stop wasting my time. I pick up the slack too much which is why I can afford homes in NYC, Europe, Fl and CT.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 PM

Also god forbid I told BMW I would not pay my bill.....thats quite normal nowadays too!
Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Also god forbid I told BMW I would not pay my bill.....thats quite normal nowadays too!
Now wtf are you talking about?

You're car is brand new....it's under warranty and covered under free maintenance so wtf are you "refusing" to pay?

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Now wtf are you talking about?

You're car is brand new....it's under warranty and covered under free maintenance so wtf are you "refusing" to pay?
You hit the nail on the head "free maintenance" Inspections are free and I called a week ahead to plan this event. I made sure I held my end of the agreement up.

Problem is if I get a scratch on the car......guess what I am paying.

They have something going wrong in the car and guess what? they aren't paying up for it. To be told its my driving habit is laughable....Just like Steve Jobs telling everyone during the Iphone glitch you are holding it the wrong way.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Since you are a successful business person with 4 houses and all this money, you should be able to figure out how to dump the lease and go buy or lease your beloved Porsche. Also if your time is so valuable then have your secretary, assistant, or somebody you can pay $15hr to take your car in. Hell, my dad only takes his cars to the dealer when he is board and wants to see new cars, otherwise his secretary takes care of it for him. Then again he has multiple cars so he really doesn't need a loaner
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Oh I am sure there are worse... Since I leased it, I guess I will just drive it till it blows. I was worried there is a leak in there with the turbo or something.
"i will drive it till it blows". This is the reason why I bought my X5 new. I go to BMW gallery in Norwood. David Williamson was my CA and was amazing. I have only delt with the service dept once. I went in without an appt to get an inspection sticker and was out within 15min.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
OMFG. What am I missing? "They reset the computer". Why? Was the car throwing a code? Was your dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree? Was there something actually WRONG with the car? Or did you just go to add oil and not like the way the additive package had cooked out on the oil cap?

You leased the X5. It's under warranty. If it breaks, they fix it. Doesn't cost you a dime. At the end of the lease, you give it back. You want them to open a PUMA case, maybe give you a B7 Alpina loaner to trash, just because you don't like the way (used) oil looks? Seriously?

Anybody besides me think the service folks would be thrilled if you took your "business" to another dealer?

You keep making all these (very tiring) statements about how you're a baller, and you and your dad are rolling in $$$. How about stroking a bunch of checks to compensate all of us who wasted 10 minutes of our lives reading this drama?

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, M3 CiC
Quote:
Lol I have never seen a 2011 cayenne turbo yet. X5m or even a rarely a brand new Range Rover supercharged.

On top my cars never experienced that Lamborghini, Bentley etc. Secondly that is not normal...........anyone who knows cars will concur that any sort of build up is a design flaw in the car. So I am punished for driving my car incorrectly???

I am tired of being nice get pushed around too much. My hourly rate is not cheap and potential business lost is greater than any service on the car. They should have told me to do the reset at home.

Its professionalism. If you can't do the job tell me and stop wasting my time. I pick up the slack too much which is why I can afford homes in NYC, Europe, Fl and CT.
You seem to indicate that you are very wealthy. Becoming so upset over a vehicle that doesn't meet your demands and a dealership that doesn't meet your needs should not occur. If I was in your shoes, I would chalk it up to another life experience and move on. Life is too short to become so incensed over an inanimate objects or personnel at a car dealership.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Sup3rman

Quote:
Made an appointment to get a loaner. They brought me in said the car was fine without even looking at the car (reset the computer and told me to leave).

I asked if my headlights could be adjusted and they said 2011s are fine.

I cheaped out on 40k for a cayenne turbo and I am paying the price. GLAD I DID NOT BUY THIS CAR.

They said mustard clumps in my oil head are normal......

Now I did not get a loaner left in 5 minutes....any way I can reimburssed for gas and time lost due to my job?

Waste of my time, Porsche never did this to my gf's car they would lend me a turbo if I asked.

UNREAL!
After re-reading over this mess, I come away with 4 things:

1. LACK OF DETAILS. What did you make an appointment for? Was your service indicator light on indicating service was due? Throwing codes? How many miles have you driven on the oil? How old is the vehicle? Specifics would probably help the service dept. too.

Your story kind of goes: "I took my vehicle in for a problem, they told me there wasn't one and didn't look at the car and told me everything was normal and didn't give me a loaner - I'M GOING TO SUE!!" Details man, details.

2. "Cheaped out" by 40K? SRSLY? Time to get over yourself. If you've got that much money to waste, hire an assistant to do this. Or buy a second one. Or both.

3. Mustard clumps.. did you elaborate to your SA on this? Do you have an SA? Did you ask what they are caused from, and why you shouldn't be concerned? Pics?

4. Were you in a hurry? Refer to #2. Asking for "reimbursement" for time lost? Does bimmerfest give out time reimbursements? If you had time to create this thread, I find it hard to believe you lost THAT much time and $$.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall for this..

Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 PM
Sup3rman

Quote:
what about disposition fees etc...sure I pay bmw directly..but does not seem that easy. Like I would have to sign off I am taking the car to another dealer.

maybe better. Bridgeport is sleezy anyway.
Have you ever owned or leased a car yourself?

You can take the car to any BMW dealership you like. Anywhere in the USA. Anytime you like. You don't even have to get a permission slip signed. Even if you lease. Or buy. You could service it on the west coast if you like, and BMWNA wouldn't say a thing (unless you go over miles. Then they'll hold out their hand for more $$)

Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Sup3rman

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head "free maintenance" Inspections are free and I called a week ahead to plan this event. I made sure I held my end of the agreement up.

Problem is if I get a scratch on the car......guess what I am paying.

They have something going wrong in the car and guess what? they aren't paying up for it. To be told its my driving habit is laughable....Just like Steve Jobs telling everyone during the Iphone glitch you are holding it the wrong way.
Yes, you CAN drive the car incorrectly and have bad driving habits. Driving short trips in cold weather is hard on a car. Just like driving with your foot on the brake all the time will wear brakes out prematurely. Do you mash the gas and then complain of bad fuel economy?

Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 PM

^^^^^
FYI....that little button in the bottom of the right corner with the [ " + ] is the multiquote button.

'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
After re-reading over this mess, .

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall for this..
Indeedy....