Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 81 Fiat, 06 LR3, 08 RR
Extended warranty thoughts?

My new X3 is now in production as of yesterday (woo hoo!) and in planning ahead for delivery would greatly appreciate thoughts on extended warranty products for the X3 and wheels and tires.

Plan is to keep the X3 for 5 to 6 years and, at my request, dealer provided information about BMW extended and Fidelty warranty products. Fidelity is cheaper and usable anywhere (whereas I believe BMW is only available for use at BMW dealerships) and I prefer flexibility.

Fidelity Platinum with $50 deductible for 6 years/100k miles is ~$2,000.

While I don't like paying for nothing, my experience is that things break over time and I don't mind paying for some peace of mind.

Thoughts, comments, and buying strategies greatly appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbrad View Post
My new X3 is now in production as of yesterday (woo hoo!) and in planning ahead for delivery would greatly appreciate thoughts on extended warranty products for the X3 and wheels and tires.

Plan is to keep the X3 for 5 to 6 years and, at my request, dealer provided information about BMW extended and Fidelty warranty products. Fidelity is cheaper and usable anywhere (whereas I believe BMW is only available for use at BMW dealerships) and I prefer flexibility.

Fidelity Platinum with $50 deductible for 6 years/100k miles is ~$2,000.

While I don't like paying for nothing, my experience is that things break over time and I don't mind paying for some peace of mind.

Thoughts, comments, and buying strategies greatly appreciated!
I got the wheel and tire insurance this time around. I didn't get it on my 328, and I really regretted it when I hit a nasty pothole and had to replace one wheel and two tires at about 3 times the cost of the insurance. So this was a no-brainer for me this time around.

I may or may not purchase the extended warranty. But I'll wait until the current one is up. With modern cars, there are so many things that you just can't DIY.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 AM

Smile

Marc,

Thanks for your response. Do you know if the wheel and tire insurance are available only when the car is bought new or, like the extended warranty, can it be bought afterwards?

The only benefit I'm seeing on buying the extended warranty at purchase is ostensibly for a lower price, i.e., it is cheaper to buy it then as opposed to three or four years from now (but I'm working on finding out at least generally what the price difference is).

If you don't mind, would appreciate a general idea of what you paid for the wheel and tire insurance.

Scott
Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I paid $695 for the tire and wheel insurance. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this can only be purchased when you take delivery. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. Might be worth posting in the Ask A Dealer section.

If the dealer tells you that the extended warranty is cheaper at the time of purchase, don't believe it. It costs the same in three weeks, three months or three years. And it's a price that can always be negotiated.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
You can also buy the extended warranties from any BMW dealer too not just the selling store.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:06 PM

Folks,

Thanks for the responses here (and additional ones on the Ask a Dealer section).

MarcA - dealer is telling me cost on the tire and wheel insurance is over $1,000. Was the 695 the BMW coverage for 5 years for an '11 X3?

I'm leaning towards tire and wheel insurance now (if I can get it at a reasonable price) and holding off on the warranty extension for a bit. Interestingly, the dealer told me about a Fidelity "add on" (~$200) for the coverage. The add-on effectively allows you to, at the end of the coverage period if there are no claims, get paid back the entire initial coverage amount. Apparently there is some creative thinking going on over there. Told dealer I would pass on that...

Scott
Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
One thing I can tell you with RFT. They must be replaced and not repaired if they are damaged.

So $695 is a worthy investment considering Conti's run about $250 for my wife's MCS. They are surely more on an X3.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more