Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: PCD 2011 X5
Continental Tire Ground Force Defect

On WED I took delivery of a 2011 X5 equipped with Continental Tires at the Performance Delivery Center in Greer, SC. As soon as we got on 85 South the car began to vibrate. We immediately pulled over, called our CA and were told to take the car to the nearest BWM dealership. We did and the shop foreman took about 45 minutes to do the test described by Baloo and 3 of 4 tires had a ground force that exceeded 10 pounds. Because I needed to get home for business, the shop foreman gave me the green light to continue driving the car but called my local dealership and informed them that I need three new tires. Needles to say I was bummed after spending 65K on a new Bimmer to experience tire issues within the first 10 miles. If you have a new X5 with this problem, 1) take your car in for a tire ground force check and 2) let the forum know. This discussion begs the question, why doesn't BMW kick Continental to the curve and go with the tire most of us implicitly trust, Michellins?

PCD 2008 X5, 3.0, Monaco Blue, Black Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Technology Package.

Retired ED 2006 530i, Monaco Blue, Grey Leather.

Retired 2004 330i Performance Package, Sterling Silver, Black Leather.
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berliner BMW View Post
On WED I took delivery of a 2011 X5 equipped with Continental Tires at the Performance Delivery Center in Greer, SC. As soon as we got on 85 South the car began to vibrate. We immediately pulled over, called our CA and were told to take the car to the nearest BWM dealership. We did and the shop foreman took about 45 minutes to do the test described by Baloo and 3 of 4 tires had a ground force that exceeded 10 pounds. Because I needed to get home for business, the shop foreman gave me the green light to continue driving the car but called my local dealership and informed them that I need three new tires. Needles to say I was bummed after spending 65K on a new Bimmer to experience tire issues within the first 10 miles. If you have a new X5 with this problem, 1) take your car in for a tire ground force check and 2) let the forum know. This discussion begs the question, why doesn't BMW kick Continental to the curve and go with the tire most of us implicitly trust, Michellins?
Which Conti's are you referring to?

While I didn't have any issues with the Michelin's the Conti DWS are a much, much better all around tire.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
This discussion begs the question, why doesn't BMW kick Continental to the curve and go with the tire most of us implicitly trust, Michellins?
For supply security and price negotiation purposes, most manufacturers dual source tires, i.e., single-sourcing from Michelin is probably not in the cards.

I cannot say if Michelin is better or worse than Continental, but all tire manufacturers have the occasional bad tires, and they frequently are grouped in a "bunch" due to some flaw in the manufacturing process or raw materials at a given time, e.g., 3 out of 4 isn't a surprise.

But I myself would ask for four new tires as a "goodwill gesture," since the problem might be batch related. If you press hard, you might even get them to agree to switch the brand for you if you are assertive, but not abusive with your request, particularly if you can get the dealer to go to bat for oyu.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
For supply security and price negotiation purposes, most manufacturers dual source tires, i.e., single-sourcing from Michelin is probably not in the cards.

I cannot say if Michelin is better or worse than Continental, but all tire manufacturers have the occasional bad tires, and they frequently are grouped in a "bunch" due to some flaw in the manufacturing process or raw materials at a given time, e.g., 3 out of 4 isn't a surprise.

But I myself would ask for four new tires as a "goodwill gesture," since the problem might be batch related. If you press hard, you might even get them to agree to switch the brand for you if you are assertive, but not abusive with your request, particularly if you can get the dealer to go to bat for oyu.
+1

I have the Michelins on my X5d, don't mind them, but will be switching to non-RF tires in the spring. 4 new tires would be appropriate, IMO. If they don't give you 4, I would ask them to document why. Switching brands might be pushing it, but might not be out of the question if you're nice - just have a good reason why. Definitely ask for 4 new ones though.. I don't think that is a stretch by any means.

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
To be clear, the "ground force" you are referring to is the "road force" imbalance from a Hunter Road Force Balance machine.

The OP is incredible lucky he had a dealer that was willing to check this. Many an owner has gotten jerked around with "we could find nothing wrong" and "they all do it" and "there is no need to check balance, the factory does it".

One question- did they actually 'road force balance' these (ie measure the imbalance and rotate the tire to have the wheel and tire assembly matched to zero out the road force? Or they just measured and 3 didnt meet spec?

I'd ask for 4 new michelins. I have 5 cars on Mich right now.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
I'm picking up my new X5d at the PDC next week. Considering the batch analogy, what week was your car produced? As soon as the vehicle leaves the PDC is it a dealer warranty item or if I notice it right away leaving the PDC can it be returned there? I plan to spend a few days in the area before venturing down to FL then home to NJ.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: PCD 2011 X5
To clarify a couple of points: 1) the tires are Continental 4x4 Contact SSR 255x50R19/107s. 2) Thanks for the advice on asking for 4 tires...I am headed to the dealership shortly and will ask for Michellin replacements on all 4 tires. 3) yes, the shop foreman/BMW master technican I referred to showed me the ground force test results...the Hunter machine provides a significant amount of technical test data to include ground force, rim specs etc. BTW, I will be sending the GM at this particular dealership a thank you note as the Master Tech was incredibly personable, knowledgable, stayed to work on my car well past closing event though I didn't buy the car there...why can't more humans have be like this? 4) we have left voice mail/email with folks at PDC about the issue and to date nothing heard so I presume they don't care. The PDC has a full maintenance shop for the fleet of cars used in the schools and there are stacks of Continental's positioned around the maintenance area (the school has a contract with Continental -why?). 5) To the gentleman picking up the X5d at the PDC I would recommend taking the car for a 10 mile ride on 85 around 1500 - before the PDC closes. If you have a problem with the tires they might help...questionable though. 6) I just replaced Bridgestones with Michellins on my 08 X5 and it is better than driving a new car...the road noise is virtually gone, the handling is vastly improved in curves and the car seems to traack better at 80-90 MPH. 7) Finally I am not sure I accept the "bad batch" theory as the Master Tech referred to above says he is replacing Continentals on new Bimmers frequently...in the case of one 7 series he is on the 7th set????? Also there are a number of posts in the 5 series forum which address this problem as well. Hope this helps!

PCD 2008 X5, 3.0, Monaco Blue, Black Leather, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Technology Package.

Retired ED 2006 530i, Monaco Blue, Grey Leather.

Retired 2004 330i Performance Package, Sterling Silver, Black Leather.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Thanks for the info. What size wheels and tires do you have on your X5? Since this seems to happening on other BMW series, I would imagine that having ordered the 20" wheels and tires won't make much difference in my odds of getting Continentals vs. Michelin