Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i on order
Options to Goodyear RFT's

So after three Goodyears RFT tires with bubbles, I am really starting to consider my options and would like some advice.

I am down to two options;

1) Replacing the Goodyear RFT with another RFT make or,

2) Replacing the tires with non-RFT

A few other facts - I don't have Wheel/Tire insurance and I don't use my trunk much at all. I live in CT and I want to drive during the winter.

A local Tire shop believes that while RFT's may be a bit stiffer, they are really no worse than Non-Rft's in terms of fragility.

For Non-RFT's they recommend Michelin Sport AS or Conti DWS. The Michelins are more expensive. They did not give suggestions for other RFT's.

So what should I do?
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjb View Post
So after three Goodyears RFT tires with bubbles, I am really starting to consider my options and would like some advice.

A few other facts - I don't have Wheel/Tire insurance and I don't use my trunk much at all. I live in CT and I want to drive during the winter.

A local Tire shop believes that while RFT's may be a bit stiffer, they are really no worse than Non-Rft's in terms of fragility.

For Non-RFT's they recommend Michelin Sport AS or Conti DWS. The Michelins are more expensive. They did not give suggestions for other RFT's.

So what should I do?
I made the switch to the non-RFT DWS's. Love them so far. Since you are in CT I would go with the Conti's, as you will appreciate the extra snow traction. The Michelins have a bit better turn in but are not as good in the snow.

What options you have will largely depend on what size you have too. The staggered 19's from the Sport or MSport cars have very few options.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjb View Post

So what should I do?
i went with the michelins, but i dont think you can go wrong between the conti dws or the michelins. as for fragility, i cant imagine the non RFT are the same as the RFT. there is something wrong with those eagle ls2 RFTs, i went through 5 in 1 month.

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 02-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: F10
I bought 4 Conti DWS's 2 days after I got the 535 sport and they are great in the wet and snow. I have hit potholes and so far so good. On my old E550 with conti procontacts I replaced 6 tires and 2 rims and had 3 rim repairs in 21 months. I switched to the Falkens and the did much better with the potholes. MB had really soft rims on that car-a big mistake. Thank God I had tire Ins over $4,000 in claims.

The rears will need to be replaced at 25000 (I have 22k on the car now) they are down 5/32's. The fronts are only 2/32's worn - probably will replace at 40k.. If I run the rears to the wear bar 2/32's I will get 50% off the next pair because they also come with a 50000 mile warranty (I'll smoke the last 1/32 or 2 off so I'm not driving on tires with not enough tread. If I can hold out I'll save $250 out of $500 on the rears.

They also have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee. If you have the sport package / 19'" you may have a problem finding them. I got the last 2 in my area. They came from two separate warehouses- each only had one left. I want them around in case I blow one since they are in short supply also. My tire guy is holding them for me. Like those wine storage bins you can rent at the restaurants. I paid $225/$250 or $950 all around.

Michelins are 50% more money. Only positive is the turn in as they say maybe supply.... I think my tires are much better in the wet and snow. Who cares about the dry if your not racing the car. Thats why I thiink summer tires rft or non rft make little sense for me and I drive aggressively as evidenced by the rear wear.

I bought a rim from tirerack for $70 and mounted one rft on it as a spare. I dont need the truck space either. When I bought the car I checked and no dealers had them in stock. Waiting for roadside assistance for a hour to find out they dont have your tire is ridiculous and unacceptable since im out of state alot. . I'll return the car with the rfts- probably use them in the last cycle with an old dws as a spare as my 2 yr lease is up in July 2012.

BMW has made a big mistake not making a space for a spare, not have a donut for the car and putting summer tires on and then offering ugly winter rims/tires for $2,000. What a slap in the face. They are out of their minds. You should have a choice of summer or all season.

Last edited by dunccfp; 02-19-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Very helpful comments.

I do have the m-sport option 550ix. I just checked the tires and they are all 245-40-R-19. Does that make sense? I thought rear was a different size ?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
On AWD cars all 4 tires are the same size.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 02-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
Welcome to the world of low profile tires. IMO, you are having a low profile tire issue, not a RF tire issue.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
Welcome to the world of low profile tires. IMO, you are having a low profile tire issue, not a RF tire issue.
No, there is a major defect with the stock GY's. I have been through 3 in 2 weeks, the first three in my 20 years of driving (And I have had MANY low-pro tires!). We have members who have been through 5 in the past few weeks....

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 02-19-2011, 06:17 PM

I think I agree. I had a 2008 550 with low profile performance tires and a Porsche 911 and I have never had a bubble, much less three now in a few weeks.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: F10
I believe low profile tires are more likely to get bubbles etc, but I've seen on this site a definite abnormal problem with the GY RFT's. As I mentioned, the Conti ProContacts are disasters also. My Conti DWS's have hit some pot holes and they seem to be fine. Picked up two nails but no bubbles. I believe the brand is greater determinant than low profile.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: 11 550i-Dark Graphite ED
I have discovered 3 bubbles on a front GY RFT, has anyone here gotten the dealer to replace the tire for FREE, I have approximately 10,000 miles on the tires, tread is good, even, no sign of alignment problems, i am having them check the rim to see if the supposed pot hole theory mabye also bent the rim...the dealer is saying the bubble is cause by a pot hole or three....
79 528i - Retired
77 320i - Retired
70 Challenger R/T - Retired but not forgotten
67 VW Bus - Long retired
BMWCCA member since 1979

Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: car
I have 4 brand new 245/45/18 Continental ContiproContact RFTs all season on the classified that I took off my 535xi sedan last month. They are better than the goodyear LS-A. I am selling them now. So please pm me if you want these to replace the goodyears. The Goodyears have crappy ride and have road vibration coming into the cabin. I have all season Michelin MXV4 tires and they are suberb! Smooth, tight steering feel, quiet, and excellent in snow and going over bumps and potholes.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhamm View Post
I have discovered 3 bubbles on a front GY RFT, has anyone here gotten the dealer to replace the tire for FREE, I have approximately 10,000 miles on the tires, tread is good, even, no sign of alignment problems, i am having them check the rim to see if the supposed pot hole theory mabye also bent the rim...the dealer is saying the bubble is cause by a pot hole or three....
There is a tire insurance that comes with the car for these tires. Look at the DVD in your glovebox. You should get these replaced for free.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i-Dark Graphite ED
I somehow have misplaced the dvd, is there any other place I can find this information for road hazzard coverage for the GY RF, I do have the Goodyear Customer Service number, but they are not open until Monday.
79 528i - Retired
77 320i - Retired
70 Challenger R/T - Retired but not forgotten
67 VW Bus - Long retired
BMWCCA member since 1979