Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 92 BMW 325i
92 BMW 325i Surging problem

Ok, here is the scoop on my car. I have a 92 BMW 325i DOHC sedan, standard transmission. Bought it from a "friend" a few months ago.
What the car is doing:
The rpms are going up and down from around 1200-1600rpms when in neutral but occasionally stops when coming to a complete stop. It got worse after i put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. Also, the car is lacking in acceleration. It hesitates around 2500rpms then continues semi-normally. It is very sluggish going up hills and when you are driving and let off the accelorator the car slams. You cant keep it at a coasting speed without it slamming.
What I have replaced:
MAFS
Air Temp Sensor
Fuel Filter
Injectors
All six manifold gaskets
Spark plugs
Lots of hoses

Alot of people have said maybe vacuum or a sensor. I have had the sensor test and it came up as fine. The most common said to be the problem is the Idle Air control but im just not conviced considering it doesnt surge when you come to a complete stop. Maybe a fuel problem?
I know my cat converter is bad but I dont think that really fits the symptoms.
And I failed inspection from burning way too much hydro-carbon. I also know that i have a VERY small leak above my gas tank but im not sure really where yet.

If there is ANYONE out there that could help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have already put too much money into this car for it to not run right.

Thank you

Last edited by ViowletRose; 02-19-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Just living MY dream

Mein Auto: 1995 M3 Boston Green
You can clean the idle air control for free, so why not try that first?

I have been readind up on failing vanos units, and some of the symptoms are similar to yours, but you probably don't have vanos due to your 92 build date.

Is it an auto or manual?

Member #2 of the Boston Green Mafia BMW-CCA #457574

1995 BG M3 2000 TiAg 4.4l X5

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 PM

Its a standard
Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Just living MY dream

What do you mean by slams?

-I do the things today that others won't do, so I will have the things tomorrow that other won't have....
Old 02-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Lets see if i can explain this through text. When you let off the gas a little bit to keep it at a coasting speed, lets say 45mph, there is a really bad backlash. Also when you take your foot off completely it also backlashes. Does that help a little bit?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Just living MY dream

Both my e36's did that, but it wasn't all that violent. How old is the clutch?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:25 PM

The guy i bought it from said it was a brand new clutch but he also said all that was wrong was the MAFS. We know thats not the case now haha. It seems pretty good to me though. A little soft but not too bad. I noticed that the Drive Shaft Flex Joint is pretty rough looking though. Think that could be the slamming problem?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Just living MY dream

It could definately not hurt. If the guibo looks cracked (rough shape) it is time to replace, especially if you notice a vibration in first and second below 2500 rpm.

That was the first thing I did on my 325i when I got it, not too hard to do either.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Yea, it shakes around 45mph. So, any other idea on the surging problem? Could it be a leaking fuel pump maybe? I have been doing so much research and havent found anything really all TOO helpful.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Just living MY dream

I think most guys refer to it as a bouncing idle, so that may help you in your search. I really don't think that fuel is related to bouncing idle though.

Usually vac leaks can cause this type of thing

Old 02-19-2011, 10:01 PM

A bouncing idle. Ok. I will continue on in my search of the mysterious surging BMW! Haha. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM

So just incase someone was looking to this post to help. I figured out what my problem was concerning the surging. It WAS a vaccum leak. Where the intake comes out to meet the MAFS, the rubber elbow connecting the two, was cut in half patched up with green ductape. I replaced the elbow (Air Intake Boot) and it fixed my problem. Good luck to anyone reading this. Most likely your problem is a vaccum leak.

Now to replace my catalytic converter and get a new MAFS! ... Yay. (sarcasm) lol

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
FixItFaster

Mein Auto: EuroS50B30, e83m54b30
Surging idle is caused by an extremly lean or rich mixture that is (in a nutshell) too great for the ECU to properly compensate for, causing this symptom. For future reference, have the car scanned by somebody who knows what to look for (i.e O2s patterns) before throwing money at parts. As DF would say; "Guessing is expensive".