Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Question DHP- Dynamic Handling Package

Has anyone driven the 35 X3 with the DHP? I have now test driven the 35 X3 twice and although very quick it seems to be missing the connected feeling my MT08 has.

About a year ago I drove the M class X5 and it seems very similar to it in speed and handling. That's great knowing I can get that kind of speed for less than $50k, but I can't (risk) buying one without knowing the DHP will "Dial it Down".

It would be great to know if it can be both types with the DHP both comfort and tightly controlled.

I asked my dealer if there were any around to test drive and he only showed one in Mass. and the other in SC.

Any feedback?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2011, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 bmw x3, C6Z06
I ordered the 35 X3 with the DHP and it's due at the dealership this week. Will have some feedback for you before long.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I test drove a 35i with DHP is SoCal. Definitely worth the money. I'm not sure how much it actually increases the handling ability, but the feed back from the wheel gives that impression. I'd say that without DHP the steering feel feels a little floaty and average. With DHP it feels much more like a BMW. Mine should be here soon and I'll be sure to post more feedback.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 AM

I've had my 35i for a week now, and compared to the demo model, the handling package is quite an improvement. It has a different torque split, the sport mode is more racy than 'normal,' and the steering is quicker. But I think the biggest improvement is in the tires. Instead of all-seasons, you get wider, high-performance summer tires on 19" rims. The tires on mine are Contisport Contact 3's, which offer considerably more grip than all-seasons.

You don't want to go thru a Denver winter on these tires, however. Fortunately, there are snows in OE sizes, so next fall, I'll put them on. But for the next 8-9 months, I'm going to have a blast in this car.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakiller View Post
But I think the biggest improvement is in the tires. Instead of all-seasons, you get wider, high-performance summer tires on 19" rims. The tires on mine are Contisport Contact 3's, which offer considerably more grip than all-seasons.
Just to be clear though, the 19's and those tires aren't part of the DHP.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:12 PM

Correct. I ordered the wheels along with sports activity package. But the tires made a HUGE difference in handling. It's actually pretty remarkable.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
I guess few people will order the summer performance tire at $600 as a standalone option, as winter is not quite over yet.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Fountainhead

Where I live, summer tires are kinda useless. We only get a couple of dry months every year.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
But it is really, really green!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
But it is really, really green!
Hell yeah it is! And a lot of roads are covered in slippery moss this time of year. Moss! I've driven in fifteen SCCA team Rally events, countless track days, amateur events and auto x's and NOTHING has prepared me for driving on a mossy road.

I will probably replace my RFTs with some good all season Yokohamas soon.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Never heard of that before! Moss, who would have thought that would be a problem?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:12 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
Hell yeah it is! And a lot of roads are covered in slippery moss this time of year. Moss! I've driven in fifteen SCCA team Rally events, countless track days, amateur events and auto x's and NOTHING has prepared me for driving on a mossy road.

I will probably replace my RFTs with some good all season Yokohamas soon.
Just drive on the roads more. That should take care of the moss!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Just drive on the roads more. That should take care of the moss!
I'm working on it!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 06 650i, 08 MINI ClubmanS
Anyone try an X3 (28 or 35) with sport package but NO DHP? I drove both the 28 and 35 during the X3 Difference Event over the weekend and both of them has sport package and DHP so I am not sure is the DHP making the difference or the sport package or BOTH.

Any comments are appreciate
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
Anyone try an X3 (28 or 35) with sport package but NO DHP? I drove both the 28 and 35 during the X3 Difference Event over the weekend and both of them has sport package and DHP so I am not sure is the DHP making the difference or the sport package or BOTH.

Any comments are appreciate
I actually have driven a 35i with Sport but no DHP. I think it's 95% the same. The only time you will miss the DHP is when you're really pushing it. The steering felt slightly heavier, but that's about the only difference that was immediately tangible. While I'm glad I ordered the DHP, I could certainly live happily without it too.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Fountainhead

Maybe this will help?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: M3 & X3
I just drove both a 28i and 35i with dynamic handling packages, but not one without. If someone has experience how does the steering compare between a base car and one with the handling package in the normal mode? Are they the same or different? Thanks.

Also I was rather surprised to find that the change from normal to sport made a much larger difference in the 35i than the 28i, both in terms of steering effort and ride stiffness.

Marty
Old 03-24-2011, 03:59 PM

Get the dynamic handling package if you have any doubt. Otherwise the steering is too light/loose.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
So according to that chart, one can't have DSC fully off, with the sharpest throttle and EDC response. That makes no sense.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
So according to that chart, one can't have DSC fully off, with the sharpest throttle and EDC response. That makes no sense.
You can manually turn it off at any time. Just press the button.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcA78 View Post
You can manually turn it off at any time. Just press the button.
Oh okay, so it's not like the M5 with the 6MT where they wouldn't let the driver fully disengage DSC.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 PM
M5driver

Mein Auto: Silver e60 M5
Test drove an x35i with ZDH Package

My wife and I drove an x35i demo with ZDH at our dealer in Portland. My wife was not thrilled with the throttle response of the x35i in Normal mode. We first thought we were feeling some turbo lag, but the twin-scroll unit is supposed to eliminate most if not all of that issue. Switching to Sport mode immediately solved the throttle problem. The ride was only slightly firmer, but as an old Porsche owner, feeeling the road a bit more was no issue for her. She also liked to higher shift points and quicker steering response.

We theorized that the throttle response problem might be due to one of two factors, assuming it isn't or wasn't turbo lag: (1) the engine wasn't broken in or (2) the throttle was still being trained.

In the first theory, the demo X3 only had a few hundred miles on it. BMW engines can be notoriously tight for the first few thousand miles. My e60 M5 couldn't get out of it's own way until the 1200 mile service (and new progrmming) and didn't get totally free until about 6000 miles. The x35i doesn't have a break-in oil change the way earlier BMWs did, but I have to believe it still takes some time to be truly free rev'ing.

To explore thoery 1 a bit more, we drove a different x35i at the X3 Difference Event. This was not the dealer demo, but one of the X3s the Difference team drives, not trucks, to different cities around the country. It had thousands of miles on it. As expected, the engine was much looser and built rev's without hesitation. That does not guarantee that what we were feeling was due to more hours on the motor, which leads us to the 2nd theory.

It is also well known that newer BMWs have smart throttle management which learns a driver's throttle behavior and adjusts accordingly. We went through this with our 2004 X5 and never could get it to work well. It would get so bad my wife was ready to give it back to the dealer. In lieu of that, we'd had the dealer reset the throttle memory and try to train it again, but we never could get the 04 X5 to respond the way we wanted it to. Our 2001 X5 (yes, we sold the 2004, but kept our '01!) has no learning mode and is still amazing off the line with 137,000 miles on it. Not bad for a lowly 3.0i. The Difference demo car may have had better training or the training algorithm may be much better than on our 2004 X5.

It will be some time before we can really determine what caused the lazy Normal mode throttle response on the dealer's x35i demonstrator, but Sport mode definitely brought it up to our expectations. Perhaps down the road Normal mode will respond the same way. We're hoping that Sport mode can be made sticky, but we're prepared to live with it even if it means press the up arrow each time the car is started.

Oh, one more thing: I liive in Portland, too. While it does rain here a lot, May through October are actually pretty damn nice. Today's maximum performance summer tires are also excellent wet weather tires. You can verify that at Tire Rack if you don't beleive me. Winter tires are made for ice and snow, which we have occasionally, but not for just wet pavement. Since we live at elevation, we have winter tires and wheels for all of our cars and enjoy the peace of mind they give us. We would not, however, run them all year long. Whenever we make the change back to our summer tires, we are quicly reminded why prefer them when the threat of ice and snow is behind us.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 AM

You can reset tranny response - this is well known.

I agree with 2 sets of tires - it's worth it.

Last edited by TMQ; 03-29-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 AM
M5driver

Mein Auto: Silver e60 M5
User reset of X5 throttle behavior

Yup, you're right. It's been seven years since we had the damn thing, and I'd long since forgotten the procedure for reseting it. It involved something about turning the key to position 2 and waving a garlic clove at the mirror, but that wasn't my point. It was the fact that however my wife drove the car, as the thing "learned" her throttle habits, her subjective view of the responsiveness got progressively worse. I probably reset it for her four or five times, but the outcome was always poor and increasingly frustrating for both of us.

Since my M5 is SMG and my son's Mini is manual, we've been away from the dreaded "learning throttle" issue for the better part of a decade. I sure hope they've got the kinks out of the thing before we take delivery of our new X3.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3, 2011 X3
Dhp

Okay, I am really confused. I ordered my 2011 X3 mid February and just picked it up on Saturday (4/2). Love it so far, but am a little confused. I ordered the car loaded except for the DHP and HUD. However, buttons for the Sport/Norman mode exist near the gear shifter. I press them, and the NAV display shows it switching to Sport, Normal, or Sport+ modes. I reviewed the paperwork and the sticker and my car does NOT have the DHP included. What does this mean?