Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolminr View Post
Okay, I am really confused. I ordered my 2011 X3 mid February and just picked it up on Saturday (4/2). Love it so far, but am a little confused. I ordered the car loaded except for the DHP and HUD. However, buttons for the Sport/Norman mode exist near the gear shifter. I press them, and the NAV display shows it switching to Sport, Normal, or Sport+ modes. I reviewed the paperwork and the sticker and my car does NOT have the DHP included. What does this mean?
The buttons come with the Sport Automatic transmission as well, but will not adjust the dampers, only transmission shift behaviour.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The buttons come with the Sport Automatic transmission as well, but will not adjust the dampers, only transmission shift behaviour.
That's right.

Here's a weird thing though. When I test drove a non DHP car a few months back, the "Sport Mode" said that it increased the throttle and chassis response. What do you suppose they meant by chassis response? No one at the dealership had a clue.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
"dampers" of course meaning shock absorbers. I had forgotten that term from my brief foray into British cars (Jowett Jupiter) back in the day. And, yes I have heard all the Lucas jokes -- actually most were true!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Are all x3s equipped w/ the sport and sport+ modes? Even the 28 w/ out sports package?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Fountainhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonskitchen View Post
Are all x3s equipped w/ the sport and sport+ modes? Even the 28 w/ out sports package?
Nope.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 AM

so what does it take to have the sport mode button (s)?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
so what does it take to have the sport mode button (s)?
You need to add DHP to get this option.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 AM

So MarcA78 -- I've already added on tons of s*&t, prem, tech, sport, prem audio, haven't gone for the DHP -- I'm ok w/ out it, yes? To tell you the truth I don't know if the car I test drove had it or not...it was like 8 weeks ago when I was much less educated -- basically I had the same knowledge at the time as a BMW CA
Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
So MarcA78 -- I've already added on tons of s*&t, prem, tech, sport, prem audio, haven't gone for the DHP -- I'm ok w/ out it, yes? To tell you the truth I don't know if the car I test drove had it or not...it was like 8 weeks ago when I was much less educated -- basically I had the same knowledge at the time as a BMW CA
From what I can tell I wouldn't buy one without it. The three times I have driven the new X3 it is very top heavy and doesn't sit well in curves that my 08 X3 takes with no body roll.

I am still waiting to drive one with DHP since the only driving difference between this and a Q5 is the acceleration. Handling is almost identical in a non-DHP model imo. I really do like the acceleration though :-).
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Fountainhead

Quote:
It's really up to you. Odds are, the car you drove didn't have it. Most test cars don't. If you liked how it drove, you probably won't miss it. I think it's an option for the small percentage of buyers-myself included-who want to fool themselves into thinking that they're driving a sport sedan.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Quote:
Trust me, get it! It will put a smile on your face. Without it, you'll forever wonder about it and will regret it.

Ditch the Tech package. The Nav. system is not very good. PDC is sufficient.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Damnit Damnit, the peer pressure is relentless over here!!! So whats that - another 19/mo.... will this ever end!!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Damnit Damnit, the peer pressure is relentless over here!!! So whats that - another 19/mo.... will this ever end!!
If you don't get it, you will never miss it. I will play the other side for you. LOL

Test drive them both. I did and the only thing I would have liked was the steering. I was very happy with the ride. It still had enough feedback and road feel for me. After having my 08 X3 (Which I really love the handling) I would have bet you for sure I would have opted for DHP. After the drive I realized I would never miss it. Yes, it is a bit softer than my 08 and yes the steering doesn't give you the feedback but it was still a great handling car.

Maybe some will but it's not like I am going to go seek out twisties and play.'

I am sure whatever decision you make you can't go wrong.

-CR

Last edited by cer2225; 04-12-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:33 PM

That helps, for what its worth, the majority of my driving is on highways and flying through NYC on a daily basis....so agility is key, but I think most of that skill comes from the driver, rather than the vehicle.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:13 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
That helps, for what its worth, the majority of my driving is on highways and flying through NYC on a daily basis....so agility is key, but I think most of that skill comes from the driver, rather than the vehicle.
Best thing to do is drive both versions and decide for yourself if you need it or not.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM

I assume that you are buying a BMW for its handling and steering feel (strength), not for its Navigation/electronics. Every time you take a corner, get to the on ramp, avoid a pothole, you use it.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
I assume that you are buying a BMW for its handling and steering feel (strength), not for its Navigation/electronics. Every time you take a corner, get to the on ramp, avoid a pothole, you use it.
I don't think that assumption holds true anymore for many BMW buyers. Even the adverts suggest it is catered towards football (soccer) moms who want a luxury nameplate, higher seating position, and electronic items.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I don't think that assumption holds true anymore for many BMW buyers. Even the adverts suggest it is catered towards football (soccer) moms who want a luxury nameplate, higher seating position, and electronic items.
Agreed. This whole package structure makes me think BMW has lost the plot. Either that, or they're trying hard to find a way -- any way, regardless of how complex the buying experience becomes -- to enhance their margins. Multiple sports packages with multiple configurations and settings. Ouch, we're drowning in complexity. If they were so darn concerned about "sport", they'd offer a manual transmission or at least a DCG/PDK/SMG option.

I think what this is telling me is that the new X3 is not for me. While I currently drive an X3 (2006 3.0i m-sport/manual/premium), and I could afford a new one, I'm apparently not the target market for this car, err... SAV. I think I'll need to move "down" market to the X1, Q3, or even just a lowly VW GTI for my next car. I'm sure the BMW Finance/Marketing teams have done their homework to optimize revenue and profit. But when they cast their net on the current X3, they missed me.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
Agreed. This whole package structure makes me think BMW has lost the plot. Either that, or they're trying hard to find a way -- any way, regardless of how complex the buying experience becomes -- to enhance their margins. Multiple sports packages with multiple configurations and settings. Ouch, we're drowning in complexity. If they were so darn concerned about "sport", they'd offer a manual transmission or at least a DCG/PDK/SMG option.
BMW packages and prices options to be convenient to dealers, who desire simplicity for easier sales. When I worked at a dealership and sat down to order the inventory vehicles, there's a lot more risk of losing a potential sale if a vehicle is missing one or two items. By packaging and reducing option permutations, dealers are happier since they're more likely to have a car a customer wants on the floor. "Special order" means a potential lost sale if the client cancels.

If you think the X3 packaging is awful, check out the X5. It's so plainly obvious devoted towards leasing. In fact, the X5 35i can be summarised in three packages:

1) Basic "I want to afford an X5"
2) Standard "I want to lease an X5 with the usual" (most popular on dealer lots)
3) Sport "I want to lease an X5 with sporty appearance"
Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 AM

Well, I spoke to my guy at the dealership and gave me the 'too late for changes' speech.... oh well, too little too late I guess. I guess I won't miss the DHP too badly since I've never demo'd it. On the bright side, I guess things are finally moving along for me.....

ordered: space gray 28i, blk nevada leather, prem pkg, sport pkg, tech pkg, prem. audio, sat. radio
Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post

I think what this is telling me is that the new X3 is not for me. While I currently drive an X3 (2006 3.0i m-sport/manual/premium), and I could afford a new one, I'm apparently not the target market for this car, err... SAV. I think I'll need to move "down" market to the X1, Q3, or even just a lowly VW GTI for my next car. I'm sure the BMW Finance/Marketing teams have done their homework to optimize revenue and profit. But when they cast their net on the current X3, they missed me.
The fact that the dynamic handling package exists shows BMW cares about performance. The company has to please the general buying public and enthusiasts. Sure, a 6MT 328iT is a more dynamic vehicle, but, if you have to have a SUV, I can't think of another vehicle that beats X3 in performance at this price. Subaru ditched manual transmission in the turbo Forester. You can't find a Honda/Acura with MT. You'd have to go into the much smaller Countryman or more expensive Cayenne for a MT.

I'd say you should keep your old X3 forever.

Of course, BMW has reliability issues, and the run flats/lack of spare situation is very very annoying, but it's not a perfect world.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
The fact that the dynamic handling package exists shows BMW cares about performance. The company has to please the general buying public and enthusiasts. Sure, a 6MT 328iT is a more dynamic vehicle, but, if you have to have a SUV, I can't think of another vehicle that beats X3 in performance at this price. Subaru ditched manual transmission in the turbo Forester. You can't find a Honda/Acura with MT. You'd have to go into the much smaller Countryman or more expensive Cayenne for a MT.

I'd say you should keep your old X3 forever.

Of course, BMW has reliability issues, and the run flats/lack of spare situation is very very annoying, but it's not a perfect world.

TMQ if they really were concerned they would offer the DHP to demo. The "Soccer Mom" could then turn it off and giggle and say nope dont need that. I could only find one X3 on the East coast to demo the DHP. And sorry, but BMW plus ignorant sales people that will agree to anything to get a sale does not instill enough confidence to blindly order a $50k plus vehicle and hope that the $1,500 add on actually makes the vehicle handle like a BMW and not an Audi Q5 with rockets.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-15-2011, 05:20 PM

The X3 Difference event did offer test drives in vehicles with the DHP option. Q5 was available to compare.

I'm not here to defend BMW, but it's not like you'll find Cayennes on the dealer lot with options like PDCC or PTV either. Dealers stock the vehicles to sell, and enthusiasts have to find from each other to figure out whether the performance options are worthwhile. The fact that BMW made the 6MT option available to E60 M5, and will offer a 6MT in the new 6 series exclusively in the U.S., means something.

If this were my money, DHP and ZAP would be the must have options to add. But I wouldn't buy a first year BMW for sure, no matter how well it performs. You have a 2008 model with 6MT - just keep driving it.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
The X3 Difference event did offer test drives in vehicles with the DHP option. Q5 was available to compare.

I'm not here to defend BMW, but it's not like you'll find Cayennes on the dealer lot with options like PDCC or PTV either. Dealers stock the vehicles to sell, and enthusiasts have to find from each other to figure out whether the performance options are worthwhile. The fact that BMW made the 6MT option available to E60 M5, and will offer a 6MT in the new 6 series exclusively in the U.S., means something.

If this were my money, DHP and ZAP would be the must have options to add. But I wouldn't buy a first year BMW for sure, no matter how well it performs. You have a 2008 model with 6MT - just keep driving it.
Going to. It is almost paid for ( I pay of stuff early) seems silly to jump right back in to debt, and have been dying to mod this thing beyond the "Oohhhh I modified my vehicle, I debadged it". New exhaust and intake for fun.

Then in another year will see how the new version stands. Too many new vehicles coming out that have some good lineage that can be immediately tuned. The new Q3 comes to mind. Fantastic interior and the fabled 2.0 TFSI power plant.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-20-2011, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
@jasonskitchen-I totally share your pain. I am close to putting my order in for an X3 and I don't know how many times I have changed configuration or gone back and forth between the X3 and the Mini Countryman (my other possible choice). I am in month two of buying a car which I need to as soon as possible (old one died). Aargh!