Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530xi
E60 Engine Overheat and No Heat--Help!

Car: 2006 BMW 530XI

Situation: A couple times before, the yellow light came on in iDrive saying engine was getting warm and to drive moderately until it cools down, OK no big deal..Well a couple days later it comes on again, but within 2 minutes the red engine overheated light came on. I pulled over, shut car off and had it towed to mechanic friend's house.

Check engine threw code for coolant temperature sensor, so we replaced it. I ordered a thermostat, because the over heating occurred right away again at his house.

He checked the water pump, which he says is working properly now, but at the time was not (there was a broken connection). So now water pump ruled out, but still overheating with no cabin heat.

Next thought: Heater control valve? "Burping" cooling system?

Any help would be appreciated...
Ads by Google
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
How does he know the water pump is working now?
And yes, it actually is a big deal when you get those first set of warnings. The thermostat could be stuck closed, or not getting that signal from the DME to open it up.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Your car is seven yrs old.. water pump is getting close to its final days,, get a new oem thermostat , and water pump..hoses ,belts and pulleys,,,, and have peace of mind that u wont overheat on the road...
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM

I already purchased the new thermostat and sensors..I did not purchase a pump, heater control valve, or hoses etc yet...
I know what you're saying about preventative maintenance on those things since the car has right at 100,000 miles anyways, I just was really hoping to not have to spend a ton of money after shelling out all the cash to buy the car to begin with..guess that's the way it goes!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
[Electric] Water pump is a known weak-link on that car '06 530. If that water pump is original, it served it's life. If I were you, I'd replace the water pump.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
No heat - is your thermostat stuck closed? Closed meaning that the network of hoses running to the heater core are shutoff from the rest of the primary cooling system.

That is a bad failure mode for these engines as overheating = damage, but running below operating temperature (likely a thermostat stuck open) = reduced fuel economy.

Also, check your coolant level regularly. The cooling systems fail because people don't know to regularly check their coolant level (BMW doesn't list it as a CBS item) and if the coolant gets too low, you will get steam in the system. This causes the upper radiator hose to become brittle and will also cause the plastic to soften on the older impellers in the mechanical pumps. As a result, the plastic impeller will slowly shear off the metal shaft and while the pulley will still spin, the impeller will remain stationary and not pump anything.

I recently had my cooling system overhauled and the water pump looked like new inside. The t-stat was showing its age, but none of the hoses were that bad. Cost me around $1400 for everything except the heater hoses - so while I don't think everything was necessary I got some peace of mind. My car had just over 100k miles when I had this done and I attribute the good condition of many of the parts to regularly checking fluid levels and luck. I bet the original water pump would have lasted the life of the vehicle.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter

Last edited by dwlink; 03-12-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Cost me around $1400 for everything except the heater hoses - so while I don't think everything was necessary I got some peace of mind.
Peace of mind is EXACTLY what I am looking for. The car I had before this 530xi was always giving me fits with cooling system issues, then battery issues etc. I owned 4 cars, but I decided to thin out the herd and go with something "reliable" so I got the BMW.

You're right I think I need to suck it up and go ahead and replace the stuff you mentioned and have that peace of mind that I can make it to work every day and back without fear of overheating or freezing inside the car in the winter time!

I already have the therm and the 2 sensors, so I guess I'll go ahead and get the rest of it and call it a day as long as my mechanic buddy doesn't happen to call me this afternoon and she's all better.. Heck, I might just do it anyways..

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice I am VERY new to the world of BMW's. I've owned domestics my whole life..I want my experience w BMW to be a great one. I'd love to have a new favorite make of vehicle. I'll update as soon as I get some more info..and I'm sure I'll have many more questions and posts in the future.. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM
New to BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 550i
I had a similar issue in mine, minus the warnings. Found out it was a bad t-stat and the coolant temp sensor was bad. Went ahead and got the pump, tstat, and lower hose/coolant temp sensor replaced. All is well now. Only cost me $600 from my indy.