Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-20-2011, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Anyone know anyone with shifter retrofit experience?

I have noticed some complaints of a lack of options for a shorter shifter. I was hoping someone out there could provide some input with the following information. I have searched and I have not found any discussion on this topic. This may be far from plausible but it is surely worth a discussion. If this were to work, I know many would be purchasing this short shift kit.

There is a 330d shorter shift kit (6sp) available for the M3 that is extremely affordable. I am curious if it plausible that this shift kit could work in the x3.

Here is a link for the kit from Tischer:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

I believe this is a link for the 330d on realoem:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...54&hg=25&fg=05

here is the M3 shifter on realoem:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...75&hg=25&fg=05

This is the link for the x3 on realoem:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...66&hg=25&fg=05

It would be great if anyone has first hand experience with shifters because I do not. If anyone can look at it and dismiss if it is even plausible. If not, maybe a member here knows someone else that could!!

If this were to work, I would def get one for the X3.

Last edited by jimmydM; 02-24-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydM View Post
I have noticed some complaints of a lack of options for a shorter shifter. I was hoping someone out there could provide some input with the following information. I have searched and I have not found any discussion on this topic. This may be far from plausible but it is surely worth a discussion. If this were to work, I know many would be purchasing this short shift kit.

There is a 330d shorter shift kit (6sp) available for the M3 that is extremely affordable. I am curious if it plausible that this shift kit could work in the x3.

Here is a link for the kit from Tischer:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

I believe this is a link for the 330d on realoem:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...54&hg=25&fg=05

here is the M3 shifter on realoem:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...75&hg=25&fg=05

This is the link for the x3 on realoem:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...66&hg=25&fg=05

It would be great if anyone has experience with shifters because I do not. If anyone can look at it and dismiss if it is even plausible. If not, maybe a member here knows someone else that could!!

If this were to work, I would def get one for the X3.
I have spoken to my local import speed shop about this and many other options for increased performance and handling.

If you have a 2007 on up your options are limited (if you want to stay within a reasonable price range).

He can take the short shifter sold by BMW for 3 series and custom fit to an X3.

We spoke to Steve Dinan and the N52 cannot be chipped for any more gain.

However, you can add the high flow throttle body, custom build an exhaust while leaving the muffler in place, and a different flywheel.

He also recommended never ever ever to cut the springs as it would weaken them, but he could put in some bilstein shocks, better brake pads and rotors.

All this will get you close to the 300bhp that the N55 has and will certainly tighten body roll, but stiffen the ride some.

The jury is still out on the new X3 for me, but the arguement in its favor gets less and less as time goes by.

At this point (unless I can truly drive one with DHP pkg) I am going to drop the $3k plus it will cost for the throttle body and exhaust for added torque and bhp.

As far as a shifter. I may just get a shorter knob and see how that goes at first.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 M5
Jimmy: just curious - what do you expect to gain from putting a short shifter in an SUV? I understand the advantages for a track car, having raced for a long time, but in a street car it seems not to have any practical value. Wouldn't your time and money be better spent with a Z3M or E30 track car?

Ub
00 M5, 05 X3, 08 X3, 10 S1000RR, 84 911
Old 02-22-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberXY View Post
Jimmy: just curious - what do you expect to gain from putting a short shifter in an SUV? I understand the advantages for a track car, having raced for a long time, but in a street car it seems not to have any practical value. Wouldn't your time and money be better spent with a Z3M or E30 track car?

Ub
I do not have any functional expectations. I would like to have a shorter shifter, especially for $125...that is rather cheap.

My OP stands, do you have any input on plausibility?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I do not have any functional expectations. I would like to have a shorter shifter, especially for $125...that is rather cheap.

My OP stands, do you have any input on plausibility?
Knock knock helloooooo. I posted it can be done, but customization will be necessary with some notable speed shop. Not sure it's worth the grand it will cost in parts and labor.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Knock knock helloooooo. I posted it can be done, but customization will be necessary with some notable speed shop. Not sure it's worth the grand it will cost in parts and labor.
Most of your post is chipping, exhaust, bodywork, brakes , suspension, power and cost.

Your input on the shifter was so minimal with no details.

To be honest, I would be extremely hesitant to listen to a speed shop on shifter fitting into an X3. To simplify my point, how many oem shifters has that speed shop installed in an X3? I am betting not more than one (if even).

Lets focus on the specifics of my original question. What obstacles are there to install a 330D shifter into an X3?

Someone with a great amount of experience with shifters should be able to use the realoem diagrams and make sense out of them.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Most of your post is chipping, exhaust, bodywork, brakes , suspension, power and cost.

Your input on the shifter was so minimal with no details.

To be honest, I would be extremely hesitant to listen to a speed shop on shifter fitting into an X3. To simplify my point, how many oem shifters has that speed shop installed in an X3? I am betting not more than one (if even).

Lets focus on the specifics of my original question. What obstacles are there to install a 330D shifter into an X3?

Someone with a great amount of experience with shifters should be able to use the realoem diagrams and make sense out of them.

They are the top import speed shop on the east coast and only deal with Porsche, Audi, and BMW.

The owner is on a first name basis with Steve Dinan so there isn't anyone more qualified except engineers at BMW themselves. And where did you get bodywork?

Seems you really don't want anybody's advice.

www.atspeedmotorsports.com
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberXY View Post

Ub
I've wanted one simply from an ergonomics reference. The positioning of the X3's driver's seat in relation to the stock stick, with it's height, could be improved so there's much less "reach" to 3rd and 5th gears in particular. The difference in the right arm shifting motion between my '08 X3 and my '05 Z4 is significant. A stubby little stick in the X3 would be just the ticket.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
They are the top import speed shop on the east coast and only deal with Porsche, Audi, and BMW.

The owner is on a first name basis with Steve Dinan so there isn't anyone more qualified except engineers at BMW themselves. And where did you get bodywork?

Seems you really don't want anybody's advice.

www.atspeedmotorsports.com
I honestly do not want to hear any hearsay no matter the source, be offended if you will.

I changed the OP, I would like people only with first hand experience. I have reasons for this, information request posts always turn into a opinion war.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:51 AM

I am one of the few people that has looked into this option. Don't be such a nudge. Contact them and get the facts. This is actually on my list of things to do. This is not a 3'er we are talking about. Almost no one mods here.

Sent from my DROIDX
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 PM

Ok so here ya go. I checked into what would work and the installers www.atspeedmotorsports.com said that they could modify the short shifter kit for the 2008 328i to fit in my vehicle.

Don't know where you live, but I am sure if you can buy a bmw in your area you would be able to find a good shop to do the work.

The way I found these guys was when I was looking to Dinan to improve the performance of my X3 and these were the people they recommended. There is a drop down to do that for many areas of the country.

I will be at Passport BMW tomorrow morning and plan on following up with them as well, since they have a pretty good service area as well.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7