Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 328i sedan, '02 525iT
Peeling weatherstrips around front windshield

So my car has flakes coming off the weatherstrips around the windshield. The guy who installed the sat radio couldn't even use that to place the antenna wires it was so bad.

Remember this was a Florida car the past 3 years so it really baked the car...including my clouded headlights which I also need to fix. Any thoughts on if I should replace the weatherstrips? I also have quite a bit of small scratches and cracks in the windshield...nothing horrible to where i can't drive, but I'm thinking maybe I should just replace the whole windshield if I do the weather strips?
2011 Lexus ES350 (wife's)
Ads by Google
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 02 530i sport & 07 328xi
I have the same issue. My car was from Texas - so the weather strips are cracked too. I went to the couple companies that install the windshields and asked them if they could replace the molding around the windshield. they looked at it and said that weatherstrip (molding) comes already on a windshield and I would have to replace the whole thing. We had some rainy days and I have washed my car multiple times - it's not leaking (yet), so I kinda ignore it. At least till next year or so....
Old 10-23-2009, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: '98 528i AT - 252k miles
Common problem, regardless of climate. Mine is the same way. No leaks, so I'm not worried about it...yet.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
Mine's toast as well. I'm getting the front windshield replaced right b/4 replacing the gasket strip. I think it's worth the coin to get back all that clear visibility like when the car was brand new.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Common problem. It doesn't affect waterproofness. It just affects wind noise and looks and aerodynamics (how much, I can't say).

Loooooong thread on it here for reference.

See also this one and that one.

Bluebee

Old 10-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540i
i just ordered mine from crown auto

I just ordered a new one from crown auto, I'm not sure if goes on with the windshield that would be pretty unusual, it's just normally easilier with a windshield replace / install because of glue used but will know for sure when it arrives, i will followup when it arrives.

pretty crackly and pretty normal for any and all of bmw plastic / rubber.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
My 2001 still has the original front and rear seals, and in fine shape. It definitely has to do with climate, but most importantly if your car is parked outside a lot (mine is not, mostly garaged).
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vytama View Post
I have the same issue. My car was from Texas - so the weather strips are cracked too. I went to the couple companies that install the windshields and asked them if they could replace the molding around the windshield. they looked at it and said that weatherstrip (molding) comes already on a windshield and I would have to replace the whole thing. We had some rainy days and I have washed my car multiple times - it's not leaking (yet), so I kinda ignore it. At least till next year or so....
You can order the molding seperately from BMW.

Look your car up on realoem.com...then look under "vehicle trim"...then under "glazing".
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i sport & 07 328xi
Thanks 540 M-Sport. I will try to order and work on it. Just weather isn't great anymore.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:20 PM
^^^Worst Username Ever!

Mein Auto: '01 540iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by soledoc View Post
So my car has flakes coming off the weatherstrips around the windshield. The guy who installed the sat radio couldn't even use that to place the antenna wires it was so bad.

Remember this was a Florida car the past 3 years so it really baked the car...including my clouded headlights which I also need to fix. Any thoughts on if I should replace the weatherstrips? I also have quite a bit of small scratches and cracks in the windshield...nothing horrible to where i can't drive, but I'm thinking maybe I should just replace the whole windshield if I do the weather strips?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vytama View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm_ View Post
Common problem, regardless of climate. Mine is the same way. No leaks, so I'm not worried about it...yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoang View Post
Mine's toast as well. I'm getting the front windshield replaced right b/4 replacing the gasket strip. I think it's worth the coin to get back all that clear visibility like when the car was brand new.
Forum members. Don't let others that don't know about the gasket influence you. The gasket can be replaced without changing the windshield. The gasket is roughly between $30 to $50. It's about a 1 hour job to replace. And if your concerned about the pits on it, there's other methods you can try first before replacing it. For example, you can clay the windshield to remove embedded material. There's also windshield cleaning kits to remove stains and restore clarity, like this one: http://autogeek.net/diglclsykit.html. You could also have a detailer polish it to restore it to almost new. Cracks can't be removed or reduced, but clarity can certainly be restored.

My .02 cents.

"The more you know, the more you don't know," Dave Chappelle
"Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content"-Durant

WTT: Black Comfort Seats for Black Sport Seats. PM for info.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: '01 330ci /'91 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by POof540i View Post
Forum members. Don't let others that don't know about the gasket influence you. The gasket can be replaced without changing the windshield. The gasket is roughly between $30 to $50. It's about a 1 hour job to replace. And if your concerned about the pits on it, there's other methods you can try first before replacing it. For example, you can clay the windshield to remove embedded material. There's also windshield cleaning kits to remove stains and restore clarity, like this one: http://autogeek.net/diglclsykit.html. You could also have a detailer polish it to restore it to almost new. Cracks can't be removed or reduced, but clarity can certainly be restored.

My .02 cents.
+1

This is a very easy DIY to do, it did not take make 30 minutes to replace my windshield gasket.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: '09 328i sedan, '02 525iT
Good information here. Wow! That other thread was super long. I read a lot of it.
I'm not a DIY guy, so if I take it to a good body shop I would probably have them:

1. replace the windshield (it needs it)
2. replace the rubber mouldings and covers.
3. buff out my headlight covers

Should be good to go after that and have the 525iT looking sharp.
2011 Lexus ES350 (wife's)
Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 AM

how to replace rotted windshield trim

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1143638
Old 11-24-2011, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyrickyrica View Post
+1

This is a very easy DIY to do, it did not take make 30 minutes to replace my windshield gasket.
I had ordered this item before finding this website and was concerned about how to change it once it arrived. How did you do yours? Did it require any glue? Or was it just peeling the old and sticking the new one in? Appreciate your help.
Ed
Old 11-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
The rubber "windshield cover" has a chnnel formed which fits over the windshield. No glue necessary. Lots of soapy water helps on the installation becuase you need to be able to slide it left and right to make it fit. Start at a corner then the top then do the other corner. then the other sides.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 11-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
Windshield Rubber Replacement

Thanks for those instructions. I'll let you know it comes out once I receive it. I also ordered the bottom piece that covers the wiper assembly as the rubber area that lays on the windshield had also dry rot areas. That one looks easier to do. Thanks again.