Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
Exclamation air intake hose crack

hello everyone:
i have a 2006 bmw, x3, and the check engine service light suddenly lit one day, i took the car to the bmw dealer, which they put the smoke into the air intake to dignosis the problem, (it cost $125 to perform this smoke dignosis) and foud out that there is a crack on the air intake hose, but the guy didn't stated which side of the air intake hose had the crack, and it will cost around $400 to fix it, which i didn't want the dealer to fix it, because the car had only 41000 miles on it, which is not a old car, my question is that is it ok to drive with the engline light on and do we necessary have to fix the crack, which i don't know how big is the crack, and can't find it myself.... please help on this one!!!
Ads by Google
Old 02-21-2011, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Do a search for lower intake boot crack. You'll find lots of info. Its the rubber tube that runs from the airbox to the engine. Its a common failure on many BMW's. Once you locate it you can feel for cracks on the smaller tube running from the main tube.

I replaced mine about a year ago, I think the part was around $50.00
Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Best to get that air leak fixed as it will affect performance.

And although it may seem fine driving with the CEL/SES light on, it does mean that you won't have visual notification of any other more serious problem in the future.

Make sure the invoice for your diagnostic clearly states it is the (fragile) main intake boot and not some other air intake hose.

That part can be had online for about $32 and you might be able to get it installed by an independent BMW mechanic for $200 or less.

Seems to be about a 2 hour job, but flat-rate could be even less:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=499471

One source for the part, at $31.66, is:

http://www.4wheelsautoparts.com/bmw-...ot-p-3782.html
Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
thank you so much guys, that really helps alot, i will following your advise closely.. again .thank you