Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-06-2004, 04:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 525
Items to pick up at Delivery Center or Germany?

May I please ask when you picked up your car in Munich: What items would be especially smart to buy as extras or additions or replacement from the Delivery Center store or a German dealer and how much does it cost and how much for installation?
Ads by Google
Old 02-06-2004, 05:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to fcmaras
Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac
May I please ask when you picked up your car in Munich: What items would be especially smart to buy as extras or additions or replacement from the Delivery Center store or a German dealer and how much does it cost and how much for installation?
I haven't been at the Delivery Center (yet), but a popular option seems to be wheel locks.
~27 euro.

If you're looking at the E60, it may be the right time to purchase the rear reflectors for the bumper.

Let's hear from the folks that have been there as well.

/Franco

ED 6/8/04 - '04 545 SP
Old 02-06-2004, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac
Save your money, exchange rate is worst it's ever been and VAT is 16% if I remember ,most of the stuff you can get much cheaper from CircleBMW (Ask me how I know?)etc. I got Bluetooth Phone kit, TV module, Alarm and AUX adapter
Alarm was only thing that is worth getting.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BMW330
Save your money, exchange rate is worst it's ever been and VAT is 16% if I remember ,most of the stuff you can get much cheaper from CircleBMW (Ask me how I know?)etc. I got Bluetooth Phone kit, TV module, Alarm and AUX adapter
Alarm was only thing that is worth getting.

By the way, you should claim VAT back on your way out.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:52 AM
2004 325XI

Send a message via AIM to solsurfr Send a message via MSN to solsurfr
Mein Auto: 2004 325XI
Wheel locks, my friend. It was around 30 Euro, installed.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:39 AM

Get a European plate holder...

Stop by any BMW dealer in Germany and ask them for a plate holder. It will have their name on it but its free.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
I agree w/ 03BMW330 100% There is NUTHING you can buy over there that you can't buy here in U.S. for cheaper by routes of using Passport BMW, Circle BMW, Cravier BMW discount internet parts department. Do go visit the BMW Center in Frankfurter Ring for the "Wow" factor as it is the Largest BMW center in Bavaria. You will see things that normally sold on BMW catalog in person. There are BMW trims NOT sold here in the U.S. at the show room. Good for eye opener

Also, Wallenrod is incorrect, you cannot claim VAT back from purchases on BMW center. VAT can only be refunded by purchases made in stores w/ "Global Refund" decal and at the airport, they will take a good percentage of VAT returned as service charge. Furthermore, if you want the money in US dollar instead of Euro, you will be subject to the WORST exchange rate you have ever seen roughly a 12% to 20 % margin from the fair market value . Hell!! my a$$ still hurtz from my experince last year.

Allenb: Did you get your plate holder for free?? I had to pay for mine from the Frankfurtering dealer. He did throw in the screws for free The" dealer name ad plate holder" wasn't much, but I would not assume that it is free. One more thing folks, your ED Tourisit plate is NOT the same size as the regular Euro plates. It is shorter, so I would NOT waste you time and money by getting one.

In short, so long as you obtain the parts number from the European BMW dealer. you can order the parts and get it here 99% of the time. And w/ the current exchange rate, I wouldn't bother to buy anything there, unless you just have $$$ burining holes in your pocket.

Wheel locks: Okay, I know its your new car, your new BABY. But unless you plan to drive out to the former eastern block countries, no one in the EU really gives a rats a$$ about your BMW wheels. Lets face it, in Germany, your bimmer is just another cop car I guess its just like the same effect Crown Victoria has on you here on the State side. And during my high school daze, I've never got the suuden desire to "Jack" the wheels on a hot looking Crown Victoria down the street.

just my 2 cents,

beewang

Last edited by beewang; 02-07-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT
One thing that I purchased at the Delivery Center was what I call a "Parking Disc". It's an about 4 inch square of plastic with an internal disc that you set the time on when you park and place on the dashboard.

I don't think they are used as often now as in the past, but it used to be that when you parked your car in an area where there was a time limit for parking (and usually no parking meters), you would put this disc on your dashboard, indicating the time that you arrived. That way the local parking authority (usually the Police) would know if you were in violation of the parking time limit.

Of course, that wouldn't stop a person from returning to the car, resetting the time, and leaving the car still parked there.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:06 PM
ED experienced member

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbushnell
One thing that I purchased at the Delivery Center was what I call a "Parking Disc". It's an about 4 inch square of plastic with an internal disc that you set the time on when you park and place on the dashboard.

I don't think they are used as often now as in the past, but it used to be that when you parked your car in an area where there was a time limit for parking (and usually no parking meters), you would put this disc on your dashboard, indicating the time that you arrived. That way the local parking authority (usually the Police) would know if you were in violation of the parking time limit.

Of course, that wouldn't stop a person from returning to the car, resetting the time, and leaving the car still parked there.
I saw that very widely used in Denmark, when I did ED back in Dec. But foreign cars like mine were exempt from the rule. I left mine for several hours and nothing happened but every Danish car had the clock thingy.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:

The only place I saw the disc used was in Oberammergau. I saw a sign that in my very limited German sounded like there was 2 hour limit for those spots so I parked there. When I came back I noticed other cars parked around had a disc on their dashboards. I thought maybe these were given to the local residents so they could park in this touristy town. I am just glad I did not get a ticket.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:43 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashi
I saw that very widely used in Denmark, when I did ED back in Dec. But foreign cars like mine were exempt from the rule. I left mine for several hours and nothing happened but every Danish car had the clock thingy.
I hope a native will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe a car has to have diplomatic plates before it is exempt from the local parking rules, where exempt should probably be in quotes.

In Germany, parking discs are not used as often as they used to, but they are still used and an ED car can get a parking ticket. I would attach an example but I can't seem to find my souvenir from the city of Bamberg.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:57 AM
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
Wheel locks: Okay, I know its your new car, your new BABY. But unless you plan to drive out to the former eastern block countries, no one in the EU really gives a rats a$$ about your BMW wheels. Lets face it, in Germany, your bimmer is just another cop car I guess its just like the same effect Crown Victoria has on you here on the State side. And during my high school daze, I've never got the suuden desire to "Jack" the wheels on a hot looking Crown Victoria down the street.
a BMW = a hot Crown Vic squad car?

Seriously, most of the anti-theft equipment on BMWs was not designed because of the U.S. market. Every German BMW ordered with alloy wheels, and for all I know, every European one, comes with coded wheel bolts. Granted, you get great insurance on an ED car, but there is still the hassle of getting new wheels so that you may continue your trip. A question to consider: Do you want to have the one car on the block with uncoded bolts and license plates that state: "I am not from around here"?

Last edited by johnf; 02-08-2004 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsurfr
Wheel locks, my friend. It was around 30 Euro, installed.
Does anyone know if the E60 has the wheel locks as standard? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere. Can one assume that the wheel locks are universal for all BMW models?

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 02-08-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk
Does anyone know if the E60 has the wheel locks as standard? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere. Can one assume that the wheel locks are universal for all BMW models?

-MrB
I don't know about them being standard on the E60 but the BMW locks are not model specific. The instructions that came in the box reads:

Anti-Theft Wheel Bolts
BMW all models
Old 02-08-2004, 04:11 PM
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
I don't know about them being standard on the E60 but the BMW locks are not model specific. The instructions that came in the box reads:

Anti-Theft Wheel Bolts
BMW all models
I had assumed you guys were talking about the coded, anti-theft wheel bolts this entire time, but doesn't BMW also sell wheel locks?
Old 02-08-2004, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf
I had assumed you guys were talking about the coded, anti-theft wheel bolts this entire time, but doesn't BMW also sell wheel locks?
What is the difference? I always called the coded bolts wheel locks,
Old 02-08-2004, 04:53 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
What is the difference?
BMW sells both coded spline bolts (where the "key" is regular bolt head that mates with the splines in the bolts) as well as what most people think of as "wheel locks" - a lock with a regular key.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:49 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:

In Germany, parking discs are not used as often as they used to, but they are still used and an ED car can get a parking ticket. I would attach an example but I can't seem to find my souvenir from the city of Bamberg.
Perhaps useful, but I wouldn't spend money on one. The one time I needed one, in Italy, I just put a piece of paper on the dash saying what time I arrived. Didn't get a ticket, and I saw other cars with the same thing.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:24 AM
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanning machine
Perhaps useful, but I wouldn't spend money on one. The one time I needed one, in Italy, I just put a piece of paper on the dash saying what time I arrived. Didn't get a ticket, and I saw other cars with the same thing.
Yes, but you are discussing Italy. I mentioned parking discs in Germany. I have been parking there for ten years. Sometimes, it is a little different.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Using SPF 45

Quote:
Yes, but you are discussing Italy. I mentioned parking discs in Germany. I have been parking there for ten years. Sometimes, it is a little different.
Would it not fly in Germany? Always good to know.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:51 AM
John Firestone

Quote:
Would it not fly in Germany? Always good to know.
I am afraid I was too much of a coward and bought a cardboard parking disc early on rather than risk a considerably more expensive ticket.

A quick search for "stvo parkscheibe" confirmed that parking without the prescribed parking disc is treated the same under German law (section 12, paragraph 2 of the StVO) as letting a parking meter expire, not buying a ticket to park, or exceeding the maximum posted time. The fine depends on how long you have been disturbing the trafficular order:
  • up to 30 minutes: 5 Euros
  • up to 1 hour: 10 Euros
  • up to 2 hours: 15 Euros
  • up to 3 hours: 20 Euros
  • more than 3 hours: 25 Euros

These fines can double if you don't pay a ticket promptly, for example, because a company had to forward it to you.

You can also get multiple tickets doing nothing, at the rate of at least one a day. Just to give you the flavor, while I was still learning the game, I once got a pretty silly ticket at 11 at night, just as I had gone to sleep and then the same one again at 2 in the morning. Being for repeated violations on different days, I couldn't dispute that there were two. I could, however, pay for both on the same bank transfer. I got a little satisfication a few weeks later when the offended city didn't notice and wasted money on a registered letter demanding I pay the other, clearly already paid ticket. I even got to learn how much they wasted because they tried to bill me for the cost of the letter in the letter.

I am not very familiar with Italy, but I suspect things run a little differently.

Last edited by johnf; 02-09-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Using SPF 45

Quote:

I am not very familiar with Italy, but I suspect things run a little differently.
Who knows? Small town; cops may not have strolled by anyway.

I didn't realize the parking disc was an officially recognized item for purposes of tickets. I has assumed it was simply a more convenient way of doing things than my method.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
Also, Wallenrod is incorrect, you cannot claim VAT back from purchases on BMW center. VAT can only be refunded by purchases made in stores w/ "Global Refund" decal and at the airport, they will take a good percentage of VAT returned as service charge. Furthermore, if you want the money in US dollar instead of Euro, you will be subject to the WORST exchange rate you have ever seen roughly a 12% to 20 % margin from the fair market value . Hell!! my a$$ still hurtz from my experince last year.

beewang
I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. Is this new? I thought it included all products (with some exceptions and I THINK services were excepted) and all you had to do was show receipts. But that was few years back.
I agree generally that especially given the weak dollar now there is nothing that would be a "deal" to buy there that you couldn't get here. Things to buy more are items you can't find in the US or at least have a hard time finding (can't wait for my wild boar sausages!)
Old 02-10-2004, 03:59 AM
John Firestone

Quote:
I didn't realize the parking disc was an officially recognized item for purposes of tickets. I has assumed it was simply a more convenient way of doing things than my method.
Indeed, the disc is more convenient for the person checking the car.

It would be charming if one could leave a letter, instead, for example:
Revered traffic policewoman,
Revered traffic policeman,

I have parked the car at 9:15 on this pleasant morning to pick up rolls from the baker's for our second breakfast....
Alas, an age of machines demands greater accuracy and efficiency.

On the other hand, the traffic police are much more likely to see and correctly read a parking disc than a hand written note, assuming you set the disc out and set it. Where there's doubt a ticket often follows!

Last edited by johnf; 02-10-2004 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: Subaru Impreza
Parking Disc On German Ebay

Quote:
Wow, Check this out on www.ebay.de. Do a search for "Parkscheibe".

They have battery powered ones that keep moving with the time. You just turn the switch from stop to run, and it advances all day long.

How common are the parking disc spaces Vs the parking voucher spaces in Munich for example? Will I ever see a parking disc space in Munich?

Tom