Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1979 320i
Alternator pulley and drive belt

Hey out there,

My 79' 320i recently started making ticking sounds, and I noticed that it's coming from my alternator (or the neighborhood of my alternator - more-so the pulley). When watching it, it seems like the pulley is a bit off or inconsistently spinning. I'm not certain I believe the alternator's failing, but not really sure.

I've never really messed with belts much, but I think mine may just be loose and therefore not completing a constant revolution. Does this sound familiar? I know adjusting the belt might be one simple solution, or perhaps I should be replacing the belt altogether, but wanted to hit the forum first for opinions.

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited by josephpeay; 03-01-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 1979 320i
Any thoughts on this? It's been rainy so I haven't touched my belt yet.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1981 320i (E21)
Check the tension on the belt. When you are using the lights, wipers, defroster, rear window defogger, and the radio all at the same time as you would when it's raining, the alternator will load down as the demand increases and get harder to turn. Therefore, if the belt is loose, it will slip allowing the alternator to stall under load. If the belt is worn, it could slip no matter how tight it is.