Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Latch system weight limit on 2004 X3??

Hi,
I'm new here - I joined just to ask this question because I have had no luck getting an answer elsewhere! I've talked to people who work for the dealer, googled and tried to search this forum, and the answer remains an unknown. So sorry if this has already been covered - I did try to search here but came up empty!

Does anyone know to what weight limit the LATCH system is rated in a 2004 X3? Many LATCH systems (on other makes of cars) are only rated to 40 pounds and my kids are both approaching that weight very rapidly. I really need to find a correct answer to this soon - does anyone know or have a valid source they can refer me to?

Many thanks!
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

What "LATCH" are you talking about? Door LATCH, hood LATCH, seat LATCH... I'm not trying to be rude, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM

So sorry I was unclear! I am talking about the LATCH system for carseats - LATCH stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children. It's also known as ISOFIX in Europe and LUAS (Lower Universal Anchorage System) in Canada.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM
I hate doing dishes

Ahhhh... I don't even have kids myself, that's probably why I didn't know what it meant. I would think they would meet any DOT standards here in the States. I guess since your kids are approaching that 40 lb. limit you talked about you need to do something in the way of car seats for them. Why not play it safe and go to the next step in child car seats?

Forgive me, I don't know much if anything about the laws covering child car seats, but maybe now someone else will chime in to help. Give it a while. I know there are a lot of people on here with kids!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the input!

The carseats themselves are safe for up to 65 pounds. LATCH is the process by which you install them. You can either use the seatbelt to anchor them to the seats, or you can attach them via the LATCH anchors (which are built into the car's frame, essentially). I personally feel that we have a much more secure fit with the LATCH system but I do not want to continue to use it if the X3's LATCH system is not rated for weights that high. The weight ratings vary by make and model, and does not appear to be in the owner's manual. I have searched this forum pretty extensively and have found many others (with different models than the X3) asking the same questions and still left without a real answer.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it!

Last edited by 364days; 02-28-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM
I hate doing dishes

You might try contacting BMW of North America. I can't believe a dealer couldn't find out this rating for you. Are you sure it's not listed in the Owner's Manual?

This is the BMW website for the USA. At the bottom there is a link to "Contact Us". Might give that a try.

http://www.bmwusa.com/
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I have a 2008 and have a full harness booster seat for my 6 year old daughter. I wont use a cross harness when a 5 way is available. Not sure what the limitations are, but she is about 45 lbs and it is very snug and secure with mine. I connect the back strap first (I have a folded towel to prevent the strap from rubbing on the leather) and then kneel in the seat itself while pulling down on the seat straps.

Its not going anywhere. I would venture to say she is safer then anyone else in the vehicle (as it should be).

EE
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 364days View Post
LATCH is the process by which you install them. You can either use the seatbelt to anchor them to the seats, or you can attach them via the LATCH anchors (which are built into the car's frame, essentially).
Things have progressed in the 35 years since I had to be concerned with such matters.

No choice then - it was the seat belt or nothing (and some people did actually think an unsecured carseat was good enough).

The seat belts are the only good thing in the back seat area of an '04 X3 - the hard seats are certainly not up to industry standard.

So if you can't get a definitive answer on the LATCH, why not just trust the seat belts to secure the carseats?

They do seem to be more user-friendly than other rear seat belts I have encountered.

And shouldn't the weight limit for them well exceed the LATCH's limit - whatever it is?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
The u bolts used in the latch sysem are bolted directly to the frame of the BMW with stainles steel bolts. I would suspect they are the same as the ones used to secure the actual seats. The u bolt itself is about 1/2 in diameter.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 03-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Summer is coming!

Send a message via Skype™ to terranuser
Mein Auto: TL, R350
I believe it is 40 lbs. Remember, that is car seat + your child.
Above that, you are supposed to use seat belt to secure the car seat.