Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 1991 325ic
Unhappy Feeling Pretty Stupid

Okay, so I was full of hope, enthusiasm, and excitement when I went out to try the auxiliary fan quick-and-dirty fix. But, uh... "power stud connector" has me lost. I see no such thing on my firewall, and feel very dumb. Just what am I looking for? it's a 1988 325 is convertible, built 11/87, just in case that is relevant. Oh, and yes, the fan spins easily by hand.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E30 318i 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepony View Post
Okay, so I was full of hope, enthusiasm, and excitement when I went out to try the auxiliary fan quick-and-dirty fix. But, uh... "power stud connector" has me lost. I see no such thing on my firewall, and feel very dumb. Just what am I looking for? it's a 1988 325 is convertible, built 11/87, just in case that is relevant. Oh, and yes, the fan spins easily by hand.

Power stud connector as far as I know is only present on later models where the battery is located in the trunk....maybe I am am incorrect as far as USA models are concerned.

They run two wires from the battery all the way to the engine where two Power Studs are located....the larger one is used to jump start the engine with a donor battery using + 12 volts on this stud and chassis for the negative side.

So if your battery is up front then make use of the red positive side of the battery...it will have the same effect.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Git

Mein Auto: 90 Ford Tempo
If you are going to bypass the AC/aux fan relay circuitry and the battery is in the engine compartment, use the positive terminal of the battery.
All soft tops have the battery in the engine compartment I believe.
12v constant allows the fan to run with the engine/ign on or off with the switching controlled by the fan switch.
The fan will run like it does on watercooled VWs.

m
Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 PM

Thank you so much. I am no longer lost. The Alfa has the battery in back, but the Bimmer has it right up front.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:26 AM

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
E30 convertibles have the battery in the engine bay and coupes and sedans have it in the trunk . Also the wiring is different for a conv ,so you need to get a proper IC wiring diagram to work with .Why not fix your car rigging your electrical system just leads to more problems later .Why do you think Italian and British classics are always dead ,because there's 500 quickie fixes for them and people never bother to go back and fix them properly ,the quickie fixes are meant to get you back to them garage, be it yours or your mechanics so your car can be repaired correctly.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:22 PM

Indeed, I would really love this quickie fix to get the car back to the garage, where we have more tools, several books, and a roof. However, I am apparently failing miserably and the car is trapped many miles from home. When connected as I understood in

"You can run a 10ga red wire from the power stud connector on the front firewall, thru a fuse holder with a 15A fuse to the fan switch in the radiator.
I would recommend changing the fan switch with part# 61 31 8 361 787. This should be a lower temp switch to get the fan on earlier.
you cut the wire that runs to T3 on the plug for the fan switch leaving some pig tail.
wrap the end of the harness wire with insulating tape then splice your new fused wire into the wire going into T3(Hi speed).
The fan will now be automatic, and under the sole control of the fan switch."

The fuse blows immediately upon the fan turning on. We have 10 ga wire from the positive battery terminal to a 15 A fuse on to the auxiliary fan connector. Running it to the thermo-switch (replaced with lower temp part as suggested) caused nothing at all, which makes some sense since it wouldn't actually get power to the fan given that the relays aren't receiving any power, yet that is how I first read above. I freely admit stupidity and accept all the scorn soon to be heaped upon me....But please help. The little car has a long drive with a lot of desert between where it is now and home. Take pity on a valiant car with an inadequate mechanic. (Changing its TB was way easier than this!)
Old 03-27-2014, 03:27 AM

OK why is the car overheating without the aux fan ,it should be able to run just fine with the main fan which requires no electrical input. Unless your running the A/C the aux fan almost never runs in an E30.At least not while the car is moving.Sounds more like your fan clutch is shot .Your car will run at normal operating temps without the aux fan ,I never use them in race cars and they don't overheat ,you have another problem forget the fan fix the car.At this point it would be easier to get some tools and swap in a new fan clutch or try tightening the drive belt.

Last edited by toybuilder; 03-27-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:25 AM

I did not say that it overheated, but its temperature began to rise, which makes sense when the aux fan does not work and one is stuck in parade traffic for hours. The car was not moving. Had it been possible to go down a highway, I imagine it would have gotten much happier. The fan clutch, as stated previously, has been replaced. The aux fan does not work. This is not conjecture, but based on testing. Much of the drive home will be highway - that's great. But much is desert, and hot, and it would be really cool to have all of the cooling parts working.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 AM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
i never used my aux fan in pueblo, and pueblo is one of the hottest places in CO. after i found out my ac was shot, i unplugged the fan (was in the process of electric fan conversion) and cut the ac belt. ran it that way for about 2 months in august with a few track days too, never got above half way point.

but, i didnt have ac, and just rolled the windows down and have ample supply of gatorades. so if youre running the ac, you could go through and do the electric fan conversion with a 2 spd 14" fan to replace both fan clutch and aux fan.........not hard to do.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:22 AM

If your fan clutch is working you don't need the aux fan desert or not it's not going to come on unless your running the A/C .I don't know where your driving to or from but it sounds like your fixing things that aren't really broken .Rigging up your electrical system for a long trip though the desert doesn't seem like the best idea to me, seems like your just trying to see if you can cause some issues to make the journey more memorable. Oh and you hadn't said you did any work on your car other than try and rig the fan before your last post .If you fan clutch works you can sit in traffic all day and not have an issue ,I know I've driven lots of E30's without aux fans or even A/C in the car ,I live an hour outside DC and and until 2002 had my shop in Rockville MD 10mins from DC some of the worst traffic in the country, my 88' 2dr coupe has no A/C and no aux in the car and I drive the the city all the time in the summer I open the sun roof and the windows and turn up the radio and it's just fine, and it's never run hot in the 7years it's been set-up that way ,I run it in hill climbs ,in "stock ,road legal " class .
Old 03-28-2014, 06:35 AM
Git

Mein Auto: 90 Ford Tempo
The fuse is blowing because the fan is drawing too much current, i.e., it is failing.

m
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 AM

If I read what you did correctly you used the high speed side it draws 30amps this is why it's blowing your fuses.The normal speed side draws 15 amps.

Last edited by toybuilder; 03-30-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Living in a place that can go over 50C I hear you.
I like the stock clutch fan to work & keep things cool. In case that fails, I like a electric fan to back it up.
I personally would never just run on electric fan alone.
Very few people monitor their gauges constantly & a overheated engine hurts