Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:37 PM
325i Convertible

Mein Auto: 1988 325i Convertible
Automatic-Manual Swap Help

So I've got my 88 335i convertible with the 5 speed automatic in it. I am going to wait for the tranny to die before I do the swap, but I would like to go manual after this one in it goes. Just doing some research... are their preferred manufacturers, etc. or kits, and what all does this entail? Like always, love the help.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
a donor car with majority of parts. youll need pedal assembly, shifter with linkages, master and slave cylinder, new clutch, good to get that fancy lightweight flywheel, of course mounts, crossmember (is questionable), driveshaft, rear diff (to keep highway revs down). thats all i can think of

Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 PM
325i Convertible

Crossmember questionable?

Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
My 89 started life as an automatic. I bought it with a bad transmission and swapped it to a 5 speed. On an 88 you don't have to change the differential out. It wasn't until the 89 model year when they started putting 4:10 differentials in automatics. So you've already got a 3.73 ratio which is the same as a manual. To do the swap you'll need a flywheel/clutch, transmission with complete shifter assembly, a manual trans cross member, both pedals, the clutch master/slave cylinders, all the lines associated with the master/slave, and a manual transmission driveshaft. For the car to start and the reverse lights to work you have to splice a few wires at the shifter assembly and run leads down to the reverse light switch on the manual transmission. I don't recall exactly what wires but I recall finding it on a forum such as this one when I did the swap a few years back. Everything does pretty much bolt right in. The pedal bracket doesn't have threaded holes for the clutch master like a manual trans bracket does. So you have to use nuts and bolts instead of just bolts. Not a big deal. My cruise control doesn't work because of how I modified the wiring for the reverse lights/starting. There is a way to add a relay into the circuit so it does work I just haven't bothered to revisit it. Also the catalytic converter has a different mounting bracket on an automatic so when you do the swap you lose that mount. Not a big deal.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter

Last edited by Ken@BavAuto; 08-14-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:49 PM
325i Convertible

So, pipe it and screw lights and let's do this thing. Lol. I'm pretty good with the wiring side, it is the cylinders I'm honestly worried about. But I'll get it done. Love the input, keep it coming y'all.