Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 3.0si
Begining of Trans problems?

Guys, I think I am have some begining signs of tranny problems on my 08 x3. I have noticed not all the time but some times the 2-3 shift will hang longer than it should. Sometimes 3-4 gear. Is there anything I can do. I have a extended warranty through Ford for 100k miles. The X3 has 64,000 miles.
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2011, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 00 M5
First try the transmission reset. As I recall, you get in the car, turn the key on but don't start the car, hold the gas pedal on the floor for about 30 seconds, and then turn the key off. Then start the car. It may help.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 AM

ok will do it today!! I read it. I dont care as its a software issue, dont want to dump a new trans in it. But thats why I bought the ext warranty.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Get dealer to update software

there probably is a software update available
Old 02-27-2011, 08:24 AM

tried the tranny reset with no luck heald for 30 secnds and no pop like it worked
Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Are you talking about the transmission refusing to up-shift especially after climbing a hill? You go up hill, get to the top and the car sounds as if it is still straining to climb a hill and the tach is stuck at 3K? Or something like that.

If this is the same problem, mine does this periodically and I have the latest sw, this was supposed to have been taken care of with the last sw update which was years ago. Yours should have the latest anyway.

I don't think they fixed it but simply made it somewhat less likely. It still happens.

I am getting concerned because my car seems to roll backwards while in D which, I think, is a new thing. If the AT is going to go kaput, it should at least have the decency to do so under warranty.

As an addendum, there is also a substantial knock as it downshifts at low speeds. This is a new development and it is sporadic. I hope there isn't a big AT problem in all of these cars since they still have relatively low miles from 2007 to the present.

Last edited by PPXYZ; 03-02-2011 at 10:17 PM.