Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Regarding 2009 335d

I am looking for a repair manual for my 2009 335d.
I have 25K miles and I love this car, would never sell it hopefully as I have paid it off
and it is fully loaded.
I had my tail light go out, so the dealer replaced both tail lights, and some tank in the rear and yesterday they replaced the blower motor and controller. The day I bought the car, I felt the blower was not as powerful for some reason and 2 days back, it quit working.
I plan to keep this car and not have to extend the warranty.
I am doing all my own oil changes as once a year oil change, I really don't like it.
Is there a repair manual available for this car yet?
Also, next year I am planning to change out the ATF fluid which I know BMW says it is
filled for life.
Cheers
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + Volvo V70
I don't think their is an off-the-shelf repair manual available for this vehicle yet.

Let me know if you need help figuring out the basic service stuff. I'd love to get under the hood on one of these
Old 04-14-2012, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Pretty sure you can get a E90 manual from Bentley publishers, which will cover everything except the engine and trans as they only include the gas versions. While advisable to change the trans fluid, think you are doing it too soon. Believe the new BMW rule is at 100K miles. The fluid is good for just about forever, but it does become contaminated over time.

I just learned a lesson that changing the fluid more often does not really help. We have a 540iT purchased very used, Trans was worked on at 68K miles (lost reverse) by previous owner. I paid the dealer to change the fluid at 100K miles. Last week at 141K miles it blew. $4800. I could have saved the $350 I paid the dealer to change the fluid and I'm sure it would have failed at exactly the same time.

For what it's worth I purchase a BMW extended warranty (Plantinum 7 year/100K) for our d. I'm not so much worried about the engine or trans as all the electronics in the car. It does seem as the automatic transmissions are finally more reliable than they were a decade ago.

Last edited by KeithS; 04-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 AM

Regarding 2009 335d

I had talked to ZF folks that make transmissions for most european cars. I know on my 2005 Audi A6, which also states that ATF is filled for life, ZF recommends changing ATF every 60K miles. My Audi has 102K, the ATF when drained was black, the new oil is light golden in color. I did this myself.
You are absolutely correct on electronics that fail over time. That part does worry me.
What does platinum warranty cover? which is 7 years?? what was the cost? Did you shop around?
Mine expires next year in August 2013.
Dealer already replaced both rear tail lights, some rear tank, blower motor and controller,
for a car that has 25K miles.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM

I purchased the warranty when I got the car so was able to just put it in the payments. There are many warrenties availilable, this is from BMW and is suppose to cover just about everything the original warranty covers (probably not things like batteries). It's the platnium part that covers the electronics. You can get a basic extended warranty but that is the same as the CPO warranty which only covers the drivetrain, not electronics.

It's normally $3500 but talked them down to $3200 to make the sale. There are different time/mileage options. For example there is a 5 year/100K one that is less, but with our driving patterns would run out of time before mileage so the 7/100K was perfect fit. If I decide I do not want the warranty, I can get my $$ back as long as I cancel before it takes effect (when factory warranty expires). By purchasing earlier, was able to hedge against any price increases plus put in into the car loan.

We purchased the car with 8K miles on it (was a service loaner) and now at 15K, not s single issue.

Last edited by KeithS; 04-15-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:47 PM

Are factory manuals available? Years ago I used to be on a mailing list for 928s and I recall back then people saying the reason we could buy Porsche factory manuals for the cars was because Porsche was forced to make them available to the public.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM

BMW never made the factory manuals available for sale. The closest you can get is from Bently Publishers available from various sources. This will cover most things except engine and trans for the D.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/bmw...ir-manual.html

Last edited by KeithS; 04-15-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfreak View Post
Also, next year I am planning to change out the ATF fluid which I know BMW says it is filled for life.
This is not true (and hasn't been for a while). Your maintenance manual specifies replacement at 100K miles.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM

I will have to see if I can find the reason why Porsche had to provide those manuals. I know it was a US specific legal reason. I am now wondering if it had anything to do with models no longer made/sold.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:00 PM

I am still debating on extended warranty for 2009 335d, as I paid it off.
I love the car and do lot of my own maintenance.
If I have the repair manual, that helps a lot, but since now BMW is
holding off 335d in US, I am not sure if there will be a repair manual
for 335d.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM

I also do a lot of my own maintenance. Thats why I only got the warranty, not the extended maintenance plan which only covers the easy stuff anyway. We have 2 MY 2000 BMW's and they are definately self maintainable for most things. But on the newer cars with all the electronics, getting harder and harder to self maintain. Plus this is my first diesel ever, but is probably not any more complicated then the 335i.