Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d 2010
This is a ripoff when you can get 2.5 gallons as WM for $11
http://www.walmart.com/ip/BLUEDEF-Di...5-gal/16933407
Old 10-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Gades

Mein Auto: 335d
Oh wow...thanks for the heads up...and website for sure. I was just pissed it wasnt covered under warranty. Will buy from WalMart from now on...thanks again!!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 335d (e90)
Again,

people, you should NOT be having to pay for DEF between services. True that its not covered then, but the point is you shouldn't need the fillup and if you do, you likely have another problem. To date we have seen:
  1. Incomplete fills from factory
  2. Transfer pumps not working
  3. Transfer pumps having lost prime (me)
  4. Level sensor issues
  5. and a service campaign replacing a hose in the system

So, yes, people ARE making the service intervals. If you're not, its probably not due to running through two (passive+active) tanks of fluid.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 335d 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Again,

people, you should NOT be having to pay for DEF between services. True that its not covered then, but the point is you shouldn't need the fillup and if you do, you likely have another problem. To date we have seen:
  1. Incomplete fills from factory
  2. Transfer pumps not working
  3. Transfer pumps having lost prime (me)
  4. Level sensor issues
  5. and a service campaign replacing a hose in the system

So, yes, people ARE making the service intervals. If you're not, its probably not due to running through two (passive+active) tanks of fluid.
You are correct. I had a warning shortly after the first service. From the service order, I had to show the dealer that they put a small quantity of DEF for 13K miles. It did not make any sense that the engine used all the DEF in 2K after the service and a small quantity for 13K miles before. They did it for free but they told me it is from their pocket, BMW does pay for it.

Anyway, it is now easy to find and cheap. For me, it is easier to fill it up by myself than going to the dealer.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325, 2011 335d
Mine was at 19000 miles (3900 more miles for service according to the count down) on a week trip out of town. Stopped by the local auto parts store and purchase some DEF and put about a gallon of it in the bottom tank. (DEF at the auto part store was $12.00 for 2.5 gallons) .... Will see the reason next month or so when I take it for regular maintenance.

P

Loving Life!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
16k mi never had a warning light. made it to the first service, dealer stated they topped it off and so far so good, knock on wood.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 PM

Mine came on at about 30k. I took it in today and turns out there's a sensor problem or something so they need to order a part. My SA said "sensor" but the description he gave for the problem - not moving DEF from passive to active tanks - made it seem like a pump problem. I dunno. All I know is that I'm without my car all weekend. Sure, I get to drive a 2012 535 but it feels like a boat compared to my super sporty 335d. I could never get comfortable in a car that big...
Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
A sensor might be what triggers the pump to do a transfer between both tanks. Some people have had sensors go bad back there and BMW replaced the entire tank assembly.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Selling my soul to BMW!

Send a message via AIM to mt3ch
Mein Auto: 11 335d, 12 X5d, 13 EVO
Somewhere around 5-6k miles. $tealer said they replaced the pump mechanism. No issues since I am at 22k miles.

Other than that and the A/C squeal issue, the 335d has been rock solid! Im still waiting to run it against my E93 M3......but need to recruit a friend to drive.

And a little Burger Tuning for my diesels.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM

so finally after 35k miles and 3 services I got DEF warning. My last service was at 32k miles Seems like they forgot to refill bigger tank. Hopefully dealer will not create issue.

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod