Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 PM
The driver

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535x GT
Should we go for GT or 5series?

Had a 2004 530i, which was totaled in an accident in 2009. We got a 2006 750li in 2009. I got used to the extra room. Now we are approaching 100,000 miles and my commute has changed so I need to get something more fuel efficient.

We were pretty much set on a new 535x, ordered through ED, however have been heavily considering the GT for the past couple days. Husband is saying it is a bit safer than the 5 series because it is larger, higher and heavier.

From the front and side, this car looks swank. I am not so sure about the back. I know it's a hatchback but I don't like the way the trunk looks from the back. I feel if you spend $70-80K on a car, it should be perfect in every way!!!!

The 535 is slightly more fuel efficient, however, the GT has a more spacious backseat and more trunk space. Once we load both cars with the options we want, the price difference is about $4 or 5K.

Any suggestions or experiences?? Anyone who has been in a similar situation where they chose the GT? If so, are you happy with your decision?

thanks.

Last edited by LondonBlue; 02-25-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBlue View Post
Had a 2004 530i, which was totaled in an accident in 2009. We got a 2006 750li in 2009. I got used to the extra room. Now we are approaching 100,000 miles and my commute has changed so I need to get something more fuel efficient.

We were pretty much set on a new 535x, ordered through ED, however have been heavily considering the GT for the past couple days. Husband is saying it is a bit safer than the 5 series because it is larger, higher and heavier.

From the front and side, this car looks swank. I am not so sure about the back. I know it's a hatchback but I don't like the way the trunk looks from the back. I feel if you spend $70-80K on a car, it should be perfect in every way!!!!

The 535 is slightly more fuel efficient, however, the GT has a more spacious backseat and more trunk space. Once we load both cars with the options we want, the price difference is about $4 or 5K.

Any suggestions or experiences?? Anyone who has been in a similar situation where they chose the GT? If so, are you happy with your decision?

thanks.
It ultimately depends on how much space you need. If it is just you and your husband with the occaisional passenger of average height for shorter distances - the 5 series sedan may suit your needs perfectly. If you are like me and transport taller adults on the regular and have a need for extra space,i.e. a car seat or other requirements then the GT may prove to be more appropriate.

Also, it boils down to aesthetics (exterior/interior design), take a long look at both the sedan and the GT to deterimine what you will be more comfortable with long term. I cant speak to the gas mileage as that was not really an outright concern for me, whereas space and comfort was.

You cant go wrong either way- just conduct thorough due diligence and identify your priorities.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
I am sorry for you folks you cannot have the touring.
That would be your best choice!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:51 AM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
Get 535.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I think it's fair to say the safety factor is going to be identical, if not exactly the same, for both cars. I mean, if either car is t-boned at 30mph, the occupants will likely be able to walk away. Should a Mack truck going 80mph smash into either car head on, things could get a little nasty for both the 535 and GT.

To make your decision process easier, I'd toss that out and really just focus on exterior styling and interior size.

If you want my personal opinion (I am going to give it anyway), I like the 535 more than the GT. It's not that I'm opposed to hatchbacks (because I love the Audi A5 "sedan"/wish it were available in the States), I just feel BMW didn't let the rear "flow out" enough and, instead, they just chopped off the back end.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 02-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
Agreed that safety is even. Objectively it's space (more on the GT) vs weight (which somewhat diminishes mileage and dynamic quality).
Appearance of course is subjective.
There is no bad decision-- good luck.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
I'm sure many of you know, but I'm LondonBlue's husband. Thanks for everyone's responses! My thoughts:
1) Safety -- I'm sure they are about identical. The only difference is the 5GT is a few inches higher and few hundred pounds heavier. Would that make much difference? maybe slightly in favor of the GT, maybe.
Does anyone know ground clearance? Someone who shall remain nameless occasionally grazes into curbs.
2) Fuel efficiency. With a longer drive and more expensive gas, this is a big concern. Obviously if this was the only concern, we should but a prius or any of the compacts now getting 40 mpg. But we also want
safety, luxury, "BMW feel", etc, etc. Both the and GT offer better mpg than our current 7.
3) Usage -- typical, average usage. Our little Lara in the back seat. Occasional trips to costco so having extra trunk space will be nice. When we go on long trips, this would be the vehicle we take.

In my eyes, I see the 5GT as a car as luxurious as the 7, but with the fuel efficiency of our old 5. The new 5 feels like our old 5, just slightly bigger and better gas mileage.
If this were for me, I'd get the 5 (actually I'd get a 328xi) -- 95% of the time it's just me in the car, 5% Lara and I. 95% of the time nothing else is in the car. I'd prefer something lighter, sportier, more agile, etc, etc. Something I can take to the race track if I wish.

But this is for LondonBlue, who I think like something more luxurious, more comfortable. Something that can do a 400 mile road trip and leave you feeling better than when you started. Something that can hold a weeks worth of Costco, mall shopping, etc, etc.
So I think for her, the 5 GT will be more versatile, more useful and still provide better mpg than our current 7.

Thoughts??

lastly, I will remind LondonBlue of something she said a while ago . . . "I don't know if I can back down to a 5 (emphasis) now that I've had a 7!" Sounds like the 5GT would be perfect!

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: Audi
My wife and I "were" interested in the GT too untill we drove it. Driving it feels like a very large car, very floaty feeling. And the blind spots were terrible. On the plus side utility and rear seat comfort were very good.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: Rickshaw
1) higher gravity point= higer chances of floating.

2) GT is perfect for a big shopping load.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App
Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Why not consider the new 740?

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 02-26-2011, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
1) higher gravity point= higer chances of floating.

2) GT is perfect for a big shopping load.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App
yeah, personally I am not a fan of floating! my little E93 feel just right! but I think the wife prefers large and floaty -- she's not a fan of my baby (the E93). we test drove the lexus rx hybrid -- she liked that a lot. comfortable ride, cheaper and 26/28 mpg (or was it 28/26?). from a strictly numbers view it makes sense, but to have a boring, lifeless rebadged Toyota in my garage?? Torture!!! We go this afternoon to test drive the 5 GT. if she really doesn't like it, then we'll plan for another 5. either are excellent choices IMO.

thanks again for everyone's feedback!!

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT Neptune Blue
The 535-GT sounds perfect based on your desires. If you are concerned about the floaty suspension, make sure to get the sport/dynamic suspension packages. The adjustable suspension makes a huge difference. If gas mileage is a major concern stay with a 535. The 550 engine is wonderful but the mileage on the 550GT has been about 17 avg for me.

ED: Aug 20, 2013
2014 BMW 550-GT M-Sport, Imperial Blue, Mocha Nappa, 20" 303M Wheels, Dyn Handling Pkg, Exec Pkg, LED Lighting, Driver Assist Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, B&O

2011 BMW 550GT Neptune Blue. ED Oct 2010
2008 BMW 550i Monaco Blue
2006 BMW R1200GS-ADV
2000 BMW K1200LTC
Old 02-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Unless you are looking for the ride height, 740 would be the clear winner.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
yeah, personally I am not a fan of floating! my little E93 feel just right! but I think the wife prefers large and floaty -- she's not a fan of my baby (the E93). we test drove the lexus rx hybrid -- she liked that a lot. comfortable ride, cheaper and 26/28 mpg (or was it 28/26?). from a strictly numbers view it makes sense, but to have a boring, lifeless rebadged Toyota in my garage?? Torture!!! We go this afternoon to test drive the 5 GT. if she really doesn't like it, then we'll plan for another 5. either are excellent choices IMO.

thanks again for everyone's feedback!!
If you are willing to buy a 2010 GT off of the lot there should still be a significant inventory at a seriously discounted price. Some dealers has as many as four in western NY. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
I'm sure many of you know, but I'm LondonBlue's husband. Thanks for everyone's responses! My thoughts:
1) Safety -- I'm sure they are about identical. The only difference is the 5GT is a few inches higher and few hundred pounds heavier. Would that make much difference? maybe slightly in favor of the GT, maybe.
Does anyone know ground clearance? Someone who shall remain nameless occasionally grazes into curbs.
2) Fuel efficiency. With a longer drive and more expensive gas, this is a big concern. Obviously if this was the only concern, we should but a prius or any of the compacts now getting 40 mpg. But we also want
safety, luxury, "BMW feel", etc, etc. Both the and GT offer better mpg than our current 7.
3) Usage -- typical, average usage. Our little Lara in the back seat. Occasional trips to costco so having extra trunk space will be nice. When we go on long trips, this would be the vehicle we take.

In my eyes, I see the 5GT as a car as luxurious as the 7, but with the fuel efficiency of our old 5. The new 5 feels like our old 5, just slightly bigger and better gas mileage.
If this were for me, I'd get the 5 (actually I'd get a 328xi) -- 95% of the time it's just me in the car, 5% Lara and I. 95% of the time nothing else is in the car. I'd prefer something lighter, sportier, more agile, etc, etc. Something I can take to the race track if I wish.

But this is for LondonBlue, who I think like something more luxurious, more comfortable. Something that can do a 400 mile road trip and leave you feeling better than when you started. Something that can hold a weeks worth of Costco, mall shopping, etc, etc.
So I think for her, the 5 GT will be more versatile, more useful and still provide better mpg than our current 7.

Thoughts??

lastly, I will remind LondonBlue of something she said a while ago . . . "I don't know if I can back down to a 5 (emphasis) now that I've had a 7!" Sounds like the 5GT would be perfect!
The hatchback design and the larger rear seat space seems like it is leading you toward the GT. However, given the size of the vehicle and the hatchback, I found the size of the cargo area to be very disappointing. My Volvo V70R had much more room, with a smaller footprint. You can tell a lot of cargo area was sacrificed for rear seat room.

Heavier and taller - not safer. We're not talking a Honda Fit vs. a Rolls Phantom here. If anything, the 535 is safer as the lower COG and sharper handling should make for better active safety.

Grazing curbs - unless the Missus JUMPS them, ground clearance will not help a bit. You'll still rash the rims.

The higher hip point of the GT may be more comfortable for you (and your wife) to slide in and out of. I also think there's more stowage space for odds and ends in the GT.

In the end, I could not get over the GT's looks, the heavy and complex (and unnecessary, IMO) tailgate arrangement, and oh, did I mention the looks? It just doesn't do it for me. But that's just me (and my wife). I wanted to do so, coming from a wagon (I really wanted a Touring) but the increase in utility was not great enough to offset the looks (in my mind).

In the end, though, you can't lose on either machine. They are both great. Drive both. Sleep on it. Drive them again. Bring a bunch of your swag and load it up. Put the car seat in it and see what that does. Drive all your engine choices (if you go for the 5 and are looking for a big mileage bump consider the 528). Drive the Dynamic Handling cars. vs the non. Crunch the numbers.

By the end of that process, you'll know what you want.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 02-26-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
If you are willing to buy a 2010 GT off of the lot there should still be a significant inventory at a seriously discounted price. Some dealers has as many as four in western NY. Good luck.
This is correct. Dealers are willing to discount these considerably. A 535i with the rear seat fold down option has a considerable amount of cargo space. Unless you really need that ground clearance, (unless you live in the country you probably don't), a regular 5 is probably the way to go. Also, if you plan on selling the car in a few years, I can imagine a GT will be harder to shift.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Well, Needs said it all, I am 100% with him.
It is hard to understand why you do not do a real ED on a Touring over there in the States.
And get what you are really looking for.
We didn't like the looks of the x6, the GT, so bought a wagon, which we had to wait for for almost a year.

You went shopping today, i'm curious what was decided.

And than after being used to drive a 7 series as a shopping car you might for the follow up also consider something more elevated in taste than just a Bimmer.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Well, Needs said it all, I am 100% with him.
It is hard to understand why you do not do a real ED on a Touring over there in the States.
And get what you are really looking for.
We didn't like the looks of the x6, the GT, so bought a wagon, which we had to wait for for almost a year.

You went shopping today, i'm curious what was decided.

And than after being used to drive a 7 series as a shopping car you might for the follow up also consider something more elevated in taste than just a Bimmer.
Touring would be ideal.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
Touring would be ideal.
I understand and sympatice.
I suggest you come over here and simply buy a Touring in Europe.
ED
With as result owning a realy special car in the new world.
Oh well.
The world is getting smaller on a rapid pace.
Maybe, if planning this sugested ED, you could bring us some of the just promised new Ipads, which we will be otherwise waiting for for 4 months.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Is this allowed? I had to sign something when I bot the 535i saying that I wouldn't ship it out of the country for I believe 2 years.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: f10 528
if mpg is a big concern why not get 528?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
Is this allowed? I had to sign something when I bot the 535i saying that I wouldn't ship it out of the country for I believe 2 years.
I have to check the small print to answer that.
For selling all through Europe you can do what ever you please with the car.
Parallel import into USA, will check and inform you.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
ED
With as result owning a realy special car in the new world.
Oh well.
The world is getting smaller on a rapid pace.
Maybe, if planning this sugested ED, you could bring us some of the just promised new Ipads, which we will be otherwise waiting for for 4 months.
Would be pretty much impossible to bring back to the US.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-26-2011, 10:30 AM

There is nothing in my papers prohibiting it.
But without a USA approval, or other missing paperwork, considering a nice Bugatti to replace the 7 series is possibly a better advice in stead of the DIY Touring Ed.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You are only thinking about safety in terms of crash worthiness, which is passive and most likely identical. Other safety considerations that are more important in my mind are:
Braking: A 535 will brake better especially in dry or wet with summer tires. All things being equal though the higher weight should hurt the GT.
Visibility: The GT has nasty C pillar blind spots as do most hatchbacks of this configuration.
Maneuverability: Largely a push in the real world.