Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
My daughter and I drove a 535i GT for 10 days around Germany and France this summer when my 535i was not ready for ED pick up.

It drives well but noticeably heaver feeling.

Just couldn't ever walk up to it or look back at it without thinking "it just doesn't look right".

Think this styling will destine the GT to be odd hard to resell / hold value car. The F10 is beautiful with classic styling that will look good for many years.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
[QUOTE=jdubbs;5880375]By what metric? January sales of the GT were 131% higher than a year ago, and by all accounts the GT has outsold the previous generation 5 wagon by several fold, surpassing BMW's expectations

Last year they did not sell well in the US. Many dealers regionally have a surplus of GT's. I received a direct solicitation from BMW last year with an $8k discount offer. One of the regional dealers has four unsold 2010's. Some of this may be due to lack of x-drive in this area when they first came out.

See link below. This is from last May. Maybe things have improved, but not in this area. I am not trying to disparage the vehicle, because it will have its appeal to some and as posted here the performance numbers are very good and the interior is excellent.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/24/r...uldve-launche/
Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
In my taste it doesn't compensate for the rather poor hindsight of the car.
Opening the hind gives the same efect as that to the passengers in the back of an ancient VW Rabbit.
Sorry, the looks of this GT are a no go in my book.
And if mpg's are important, i would never consider it.

After just finishing this remark Hamster calls the GT a fat old aunt.

Certainly a very uncool car....

It may be uncool to you and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, I have received nothing but positive remarks, as well as many other GT owners have. If you were in the states I would love to show you what a 500HP GT with proper tires can do

An arrogant bloke in a 135 had the same mind set as you and I embarrassed him. The GT has large proportions no doubt but it retains plenty of agility for its size.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
My daughter and I drove a 535i GT for 10 days around Germany and France this summer when my 535i was not ready for ED pick up.

It drives well but noticeably heaver feeling.

Just couldn't ever walk up to it or look back at it without thinking "it just doesn't look right".

Think this styling will destine the GT to be odd hard to resell / hold value car. The F10 is beautiful with classic styling that will look good for many years.

Although sales are substantially up this year and the 5 GT has exceeded BMW projections I do not think the GT has found its market in North America I suggest that the GT concept will gain greater acceptance in North America as other BMW GT series are launched especially the 3 series GT. Moreover, as other premium 5 doors from competing brands join the party, the idea of premium and 5 door will cease being antithetical.

The trend for the GT is up but the future is speculation.
Courtesy of Kelly Blue Book, we can look at the market as of today.

Kelly Blue Book
Assumptions
Trade-in value
Location Potomac, MD
Miles 12,000 per yr
Condition- excellent
Equipment –Auto, Sport Pack, Dynamic Handling, 19+" wheels, Navigation, Cold, Premium, Optional Stereo, Satellite, Park Sensors
(The GTs are configured with standard 3 across rear seats)

List prices are approximations and do not take into account discounts.

2009 – 535i – trade in value - $36,850 - new list approximately $60K
2010 – 535i- trade in value - $41,700 - new list approximately $60K
2010– 535iGT – trade in value $56,950 – new list approximately $68K
2010 -550iGT – trade in value $64,675 – new list approximately $75K

All cars depreciate and BMW 5 series are not immune, but trade-in prices on the 5 GT are holding up well.

(Note there are many GTs with exceptional levels of luxury equipment - the 550i GT in the
exercise is based on my car, and I did not include my Special High Performance German Anti-theft System which is after market).

Last edited by Capobranco; 02-27-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=bmwarchitect;5880485]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs View Post
By what metric? January sales of the GT were 131% higher than a year ago, and by all accounts the GT has outsold the previous generation 5 wagon by several fold, surpassing BMW's expectations

Last year they did not sell well in the US. Many dealers regionally have a surplus of GT's. I received a direct solicitation from BMW last year with an $8k discount offer. One of the regional dealers has four unsold 2010's. Some of this may be due to lack of x-drive in this area when they first came out.

See link below. This is from last May. Maybe things have improved, but not in this area. I am not trying to disparage the vehicle, because it will have its appeal to some and as posted here the performance numbers are very good and the interior is excellent.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/24/r...uldve-launche/
The problem was that initially many of the dealers ordered GT's with odd equipment, in only select colors. Not to mention GT's with select options can easily run into the mid 90's price wise - but yet it's labeled as a 5 series, thats 7 Series money. So now you have cars with option packages that may appeal to some, and not to others. If the 535i GT was available at launch it may have also helped to move units, and only being available with a RWD V8 and $1,000 gas guzzler tax didn't help matters either. We also know that the availablity of xDrive would have matters as well.

I ordered my car with the packages/options I wanted after seeing the car at the Miami auto show. While waiting for my car to arrive, I too looked at the available cars on various dealers lots and found the selection undesirable. I personally would not even consider a base GT, as they are pretty ungainly ( 18 inch wheels, boring wheel design etc). However, I think that a GT with sport package and the right options has true road presence. To me the GT is a bargain, an F01 7 Series through and through along with all the comfort, luxury, and road presence at a discount in comparison to what a similarly optioned 750i costs.

I may be truly in the minority as far as the styling of the GT is concerned with my F10 bretheren and I am totally cool with that. But fast forward to now, and its apparent that GT's are selling pretty well. Aside from the initial delaler ordered cars with quirky option packages, the inventory is pretty low overall - especially for 550 GT's. The number of new GT's vs. the numbers of other new BMWs on a given dealer's lot is very low percentage wise.

Several car manufacturers are going this route BMW, Aston Martin, Porsche, Perhaps Bugatti, and now Ferrari with the FF. These new age hatch backs all vary in styling- it all boils down to the one - if applicable to you - that suits your needs/tastes
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 02-27-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Did you say your rear entertainment didn't come with headphones
Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM

Yep, they are optional at present. I guess thats BMW for you. Every other vehicle that I have owned with rear entertainment included headphones at no cost
Old 02-28-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
It may be uncool to you and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, I have received nothing but positive remarks, as well as many other GT owners have. If you were in the states I would love to show you what a 500HP GT with proper tires can do

An arrogant bloke in a 135 had the same mind set as you and I embarrassed him. The GT has large proportions no doubt but it retains plenty of agility for its size.
It seems very clear that you are enjoying your vehicle and made a good choice for your needs. Does the dual trunk function work well? One of the OP's was concerned about rain when you opened the trunk to put large objects in. What is your experience with this feature?

Last edited by bmwarchitect; 02-28-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
I've been following everyone's remarks closely. I really do think for our needs/wants a 535x GT would be perfect. yes, the V8 has more oomph, but I'd be perfectly happy with the slightly less oomph of the 6 while getting 19/27 mpg. (which is better than our 7, currently averaging about 19). let's see -- decent mpg, nice rear seat and extra trunk space (with the seats down) for bulky objects -- sounds like the logical choice. as for styling, yes it's different, but I'm not turned off by it. may not look as sexy as my E93, but I'm concerned about the ride/handling/experience, and it sounds like with the sport and handling package, I'll be very happy.

as for comments about existing inventory, I think if we're spending this much, I'd rather order (preferably do ED) and get the options/colors I want, rather than try to save 5-10K by accepting what's on the lot. LondonBlue test drove a nice 535xi GT black/black with nav + cameras. 95% perfect!! But we would really like the rear entertainment and personally, I'd really want the sport package and the rear seat upgrade.

Ultimately it's LondonBlue's car so it's her call. 535xi sedan is a very close second choice. as many have said in this thread, both are very good choices.

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwarchitect View Post
It seems very clear that you are enjoying your vehicle and made a good choice for your needs. Does the dual trunk function work well? One of the OP's was concerned about rain when you opened the trunk to put large objects in. What is your experience with this feature?
The bi-mode trunk works well. You can utilize the smaller portion hatch without exposing your passengers to any effects of the outside weather - heat, wind, cold, rain, snow, etc.. Honestly since the larger hatch can be opened remotely (one must press a button to close) I find that I use it more often than the smaller portion. The smaller hatch opens manually, but does include an automated latching mechanism to ensure that it is completely closed/secure.

Even when using the larger hatch, unless you are in the middle of a downpour or blzzard, the occupants should be fine if you are brief with loading your items. You can adjust the height level of the large hatch via IDrive. If on an occaision you require more height, you can press a secondary button on the hatch itself to raise the hatch higher in increments, all the way up to maximum level to afford more space.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:

Easy there. How the car performs and how it looks are two different things. No doubt it's capable. But styling is in the eye of the beholder. I tend to not voice my opinion as you'll always get someone to disagree with you and that's just a pointless argument.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Easy there. How the car performs and how it looks are two different things. No doubt it's capable. But styling is in the eye of the beholder. I tend to not voice my opinion as you'll always get someone to disagree with you and that's just a pointless argument.

Words of Wisdom - can't argue that
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Words of Wisdom - can't argue that
Our work is done here.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svanil View Post
Our work is done here.
LOL.

As I said above, this is a win-win situation. It all comes down to what Londonblue is more comfortable with buying for herself.

Do you guys really use the split tailgate all that often? For me, I think it's more of a panacea to the American anti-hatchback crowd, rather than something truly useful. I think I would have been fine if it was a normal hatchback without the split tailgate.

But then again, I love hatchbacks and my last car was a wagon so clearly I am not the representative of the general populous.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT
When I first saw this thread posted in the F10 sedan forum, I groaned and thought, here come all the haters, who will inevitably pile on about how ugly the GT is, and that this would be a much more productive conversation if it had been posted to the F7 GT forum. With one or two exceptions, I'm happy to see that I was wrong. And you're probably getting far more responses in this forum anyway.

That said, like many people I was initially turned off by the rear of the GT, and wondered if it would get an "emergency fix" like Bangle's first 7 Series did shortly after it was introduced. Over time my opinion softened, and seeing a few GTs in person definitely helped, as photos seem to foreshorten the tail... kind of how the camera adds ten pounds. It occurred to me the other day that part of the issue is that most cars are designed to be seen and judged from the rear, since you spend most of your driving time looking at the backside of the car in front of you, whereas the GT looks best when viewed head-on or from a forward angle... personally I would argue that the front of the 5GT is more attractive than that of the 5 sedan and at least as attractive as any other front-end in the BMW lineup. But aesthetics are by definition subjective, and when making a purchase this large, you should buy a car that you find attractive and will be proud to drive.

The comfort, spaciousness, and versatility of the GT are in my opinion its best selling points, and fit best with my lifestyle among all of BMW's vehicles. True, you can get roughly the same cargo room in a wagon or X-whatever, but you sacrifice rear seat space as well as some of the luxury options that trickled down from the 7 Series to the GT. (Not to mention gas mileage, at least with the X5 and X6). As for safety, someone earlier said the GT has bad blind spots due to the hind-most pillar; I do not find this to be the case... in fact the GT seems to afford the best lateral view of its surroundings of any car I've driven. The rear window is another story.

As for the bi-modal rear hatch, it works just as advertised. The small hatch opens only the cargo space, keeping the interior cabin climate-controlled. The large hatch works just like that of the X3/5/6... there's no way not to expose the cabin to the outside elements with a large hatch like this, in fact that is kind of the point.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
After my short period of flirting with the idea of buying a F07 on the European market the Audi A7 was introduced.
A nice car also.

I am so happy I waited a little longer and really love my F11.

But I am a bit sorry for making my taste let me behave in a somewhat poor British style.
I wish I hadn't followed Hamster from Topgear in naming the back of the GT as I did on this thread.

Sorry!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM

To the original OP(s). If you go with the GT, and post photos to the F07 forum, drop a line here so we can check it out
Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Since we will be getting rid of our SUV, my wife really wanted me to get the GT for its cargo capacity. I looked it over pretty thoroughly at an autoshow. The front end of the GT looks like a 7 Series. The interior of the GT looked like a 7 Series. The rear end ..., well let's get back to that. The price of the GT makes this 7 Series (labeled as a 5 Series) a bargain. So why didn't I pick the GT over the sedan? I just couldn't get over the extra 400lbs for the hatch. I don't want to insult any of the GT owners, but I pictured a 400lb guy riding wearing a Tony Soprano t-shirt sitting in the back seat, although he might help with traction in the snow, I don't want him there the other 360 days of the year. Now, if he was replaced by 100 pound supermodel, heck or even a 150 pound semi-attractive gal, it might have been okay.

OBTW, when I said I would talk about the rear end later, I lied.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-28-2011, 07:29 PM
The driver

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535x GT
Seems like a no-brainer with the 7 series-type space for the price of a 5 series. I know when you are sitting in the driver's seat and looking around and then looking at the nice space in the back, you don't even remember how different the back of the car looks.

As kashrahman has been talking about off this board, leasing will be a good way to see how we like the car and not feel like we are tied-down.

We will definitely tell you what is decided.

Can anyone give me their average price they paid over invoice for the GT? If you did ED, what was your price over ED invoice? PM if you feel more comfortable.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport
5 series saloon every day. And if you want a head turner I love to stare at the X6 - rear visibility issues aside you know what it is when you see not like the 'hybrid' 5 door hatches. my 2 cents.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBlue View Post
Seems like a no-brainer with the 7 series-type space for the price of a 5 series. I know when you are sitting in the driver's seat and looking around and then looking at the nice space in the back, you don't even remember how different the back of the car looks.

As kashrahman has been talking about off this board, leasing will be a good way to see how we like the car and not feel like we are tied-down.

We will definitely tell you what is decided.

Can anyone give me their average price they paid over invoice for the GT? If you did ED, what was your price over ED invoice? PM if you feel more comfortable.
You may want to post this on the GT forum also as you may get more responses. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Haven't read through this much, but IMO, the 5'er GT is a car that you know you need to have, if you require the extra utility that I'm assuming comes with it.

IMO, it is one of the ugliest, most awkward, over-tried designs out there (X6 is another one, albeit maybe the lesser of two evils). The fact that it seems like it can't make up its mind, as to whether it's a Wagon, an SUV (it's much bigger in person than it appears in pics), a Crossover, etc., doesn't help.

The F10 on the other hand is a classic 3-Box Sedan design, tried and true, looks striking and timeless at the same time, and is a guaranteed shape that will age well and timelessly. IMO it's not even a question, BUT, if the 5'er GT appeals to you more, or your lifestyle requires it (the very reason it exists is to cater to a certain person who finds it necessary), then go for it.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
and the winner is . . . .

placed an order for the 5 GT this afternoon! 535xi GT, black/black with usual options.
I did add in 6NF (smartphone) and got 6NR (BMW Apps) as well. IF all goes well, I can do facebook updates when I do my euro delivery!! In the ED forum, they'll have to change the 12 hour pic rule into a 12 minute FB update rule! ha! Thanks for everyone's help and advice! Now just have to wait . . . plan is for Germany in July, redelivery to South Carolina (PCD) and then drive back home! woohoo!

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 PM
The driver

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535x GT
wooohooo!!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
placed an order for the 5 GT this afternoon! 535xi GT, black/black with usual options.
Sweet! You really couldn't lose with either car. Pics of you, londonblue and the German countryside please!