Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
My daughter and I drove a 535i GT for 10 days around Germany and France this summer when my 535i was not ready for ED pick up.

It drives well but noticeably heaver feeling.

Just couldn't ever walk up to it or look back at it without thinking "it just doesn't look right".

Think this styling will destine the GT to be odd hard to resell / hold value car. The F10 is beautiful with classic styling that will look good for many years.
Yeah I always think station wagon when I see it, and that there's just something wrong about it

Still... Might be your cup of tea.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
so thanks for everyone's input --- just thought I'd share a little about our decision process.

We have an 06 750Li currently. Great car. Love it! BUT between driving kid to school, wife goes to work, used as family car on weekends/trips, etc, tc we are spending almost $100/week in gas! (and averaging 2500-3000 miles/month). So, wife wanted something that feel similar, ideally the same size, awd a nice plus, and definitely at least slightly better gas mileage. (because even $10/week less in gas adds up). AND important factors include rear seat space (for those long trips) and utility/trunk space (for those Costco trips).

So we started looking around. Started by going to the auto show (Indianapolis) a few months ago. Very few concept cars, but a lot of production cars. And to my surprise, the wife looked at and considered stuff I wouldn't have even thought of. She like the rear seat space of the Honda Odyssey, the height and how easy to get in and out of the Lexus RX, and the service that comes with the Hyundai Equus (test drive at home, etc). So after spending hours there, we narrowed down our list.

1) BMW 5 series (GT wasn't initally on our list) -- just like the 7, but a bit smaller and better gas mileage.
2) BMW X5 diesel -- offers a bit more space than the 5 and with good gas mileage.
3) Lincoln MKZ hybrid (the midsize sedan) -- she really like the fit and finish, the 40 mpg, and the $399/month lease they were offering.
4) Lexus RX hybrid -- seems like a good value and good gas mileage.

so we went to test drive these 4.
1) 5 series -- feels just like our 7!! But she felt snug in the rear seat.
2) X5 diesel -- inside looks just like a BMW that we all know and love! But she felt the diesel was too "machine like"; ie not as smooth as the gas versions.
3) Lincoln MKZ -- looks nice, but just FWD and snug rear seat. I've heard others say it doesn't have much "oomph"; which is probably why it gets 40 mpg
4) Lexus RX -- this was a very close second choice -- awd, good gas mileage, easy to get into, great ride, nice "oomph", good value, etc, etc, etc. but in the end it was little things (you can only pick from 2 interior colors, back seat snug compared to the GT, 528i sedan gets better highway mpg, etc, etc.) But still a very, very close second choice. and yes, it hurts me to say that. (not that I think Lexus is bad, just very, very boring! I told LondonBlue that if we get that car, I'm not driving it on family trips. that may have influenced her somewhat)

Which leads us to the 5 series. Our initial thought was to go with a 535xi sedan, but our salesman just happened to mention "what about the GT?" Yes, LondonBlue's first reaction was how unattractive the rear seemed, and how complicated the hatch was. I saw it and mentally kicked myself for not considering it earlier -- awd, better gas mileage than the 7, but otherwise similar size/space to our current 7! Yes, the Audi A7 looks much better, especially in the rear, sexy even! But for me (and I know long term for LondonBlue as well) how the rear looks is just one aspect; other more important considerations for us are how it drives, how useful/functional is it, comfort (especially when someone has to sit in the back with Lara), little extras (love using google maps and sending destinations to the convertible idrive).

So for us, the 5GT is the perfect fit! or at least we think so. LondonBlue is still concerned about blind spots (we're getting the camera package), and I think over time she'll get used to the 2 piece rear hatch. She keeps asking me what I would buy -- for her, I recommend the 5GT; for myself? I still love my E93!! You can fit a weeks worth of groceries (carefully placed mind you) in the trunk with the top down, and I LOVE the wind in my hair (or what's left of my hair!!)

We will definitely share more about our experience -- plus it will be our first time doing PCD!! But I'll have it mostly in the F07 (and ED) forums; will keep you guys updated. Thanks!! Kash

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter

Last edited by kashrahman; 03-06-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Aside from the missing X drive, I still think the 740 fits the description of your needs. But I dig your reasoning, and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever car you choose. You really created an interesting thread, its got the most hits of any recent topic in the F10 forum!

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
Aside from the missing X drive, I still think the 740 fits the description of your needs. But I dig your reasoning, and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever car you choose. You really created an interesting thread, its got the most hits of any recent topic in the F10 forum!
Being in more or less the same situation as the OP, I see where you're coming from. Just to play Devil's advocate, though, a couple of possible problems with the 740i are

1. It's a bit longer than the GT (~3 in.) and
2. It carries quite a bit less; the rear seats don't even fold down. So it's going to be tough getting those winter tire/wheels to your tire guy to swap twice a year (unless you've got another car/driver).

I agree that some (most) will say the 740i looks better and is lighter (although the 535xGT isn't that much heavier) but the GT I believe is cheaper and more practical. In effect, you're getting a 7 for a 5 price (more or less and again just IMO).
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Thanks guys!! It's nice to see that even though I think most people would go for the F10, at least many are curious about the F07. I didn't put 740i on our comparison list, but we did look at and consider one. Thoughts:

Pros:
- the 740i/740Li do offer better gas mileage than the 750, but currently we get about 19 mpg combined in our 06 750Li. I think the 740i is rated at 17/25, so I assumed realistically we would get 21ish mpg (we do mostly city driving). So better, but not by a whole lot.
- rear seat space -- yes the 740 offers more space than most, but the GT a touch more and the 740Li even more. The way I keep talking about rear seat space, you'd think I'm planning a party back there!! But it's mostly for long, 4-6 hour drives where someone is sitting back there with Lara, books, blanket, toys (yikes!), food (gasp!) and assorted mess (noooo!!!)
- trunk space -- again a bit more than most (5 series, MKZ) but I think odd shaped packages would fit better in the GT with the seats down (notice how jumbo 12 pack paper towels are not nice, long, flat packages but instead look like white, fluffy, miniature borg cubes that refuse to be assimilated into a normal trunk! Resistance, or squishing them into place, is futile!!)

Cons:
the benefits for a 740i are minimal compared to a 5 series sedan (especially when the 535i is 20/30 and 535xi is 19/29); to really get nice rear seat space and AWD you have to get a 750xLI, and that has 14/20 mpg. we might as well stick with our current 7 series!!

I think if rear seat space and trunk space are not high on your list, the 535xi seems to make much better sense than a 740i -- both large and comfortable, but the 5 gets better mpg and has awd!! Even adding on many options, our GT prices out about the same as a base 7 series, so we're getting a 7 series "type" or "size" vehicle, with awd, but priced in between a 5 and a 7, and with the gas mileage of a 5.

The next question is lease or buy? we normally buy, but Jamila is tempted by the idea of leasing --- 3 years later if she really doesn't like it, she can return it. (yeah, we could buy and trade in 3 years later). but if we really are going to consider trading/returning after 3 years, we might as well enjoy the lower payments of a lease rather than buy.

(edit: winter tires, yet another example of big packages. in the past, 2 in the trunk, 2 in the back seat with lots of plastic bags/blankets to protect the seats. now I have them on dedicated rims; I just swap out myself. If I need them balanced, I put them on first and then take to the dealership rather than getting the back seat/trunk dirty)

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter

Last edited by kashrahman; 03-06-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: snow tires rock!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Yeah I always think station wagon when I see it, and that there's just something wrong about it

Still... Might be your cup of tea.

If you think "station wagon" when you see a GT, then you haven't been around many station wagons.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-06-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
2) X5 diesel -- inside looks just like a BMW that we all know and love! But she felt the diesel was too "machine like"; ie not as smooth as the gas versions.
h
Man, I can see that some people would say that about the diesel, but to be honest, I think that engine is the perfect compliment to the X5. I had gone to drive an X5d thinking that I'd be annoyed at some of the diesel aspects, even though I am an avowed diesel supporter. But that engine is smooth, quiet and like a turbine. Sure, there is a little diesel rumble but when you rev it, dare I say it sounds quite aggressive and not at all "Farmall" like. Keep in mind, my background is construction, so I am used to being around Semi-trucks, off road haulers, excavators, bulldozers and heavy duty trucks (F-350 to F650).

In the end, we already have one full-sized SUV and we didn't want another. Had that engine been available in the 5 or 5GT, well, I would have plumped for one without thinking.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 AM

yes, I should clarify -- I thought the diesel X5 was just fine; I noticed a slight difference but nothing that would make me think twice. I was actually more concerned that she would accidently find someway to put unleaded into a diesel car! (i know the nozzle size is different, but still). but the wife didnt like it. I think a 5 or 5 GT diesel would be a great idea . . .

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 03-06-2011, 11:53 AM
The driver

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535x GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
I was actually more concerned that she would accidently find someway to put unleaded into a diesel car! (i know the nozzle size is different, but still).

Excuse me?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBlue View Post
Excuse me?
LOL, my friend's partner did it to their ML 320 Bluetec. And he's a guy. That was an expensive repair...

Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBlue View Post
Excuse me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
LOL, my friend's partner did it to their ML 320 Bluetec. And he's a guy. That was an expensive repair...
See sweetie? It can happen to anyone! now you won't have to worry about that, xoxo

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 03-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
congrats on the new ride Kash and LondonBlue, hope y'all enjoy her!

...and shame on your for thinking your wifey would put unleaded into a diesel vehicle. Good lord, give us women of the 'fest a little more credit. (though if my exhubby were on here I'm sure he'd come up with something similar to say )
Old 03-06-2011, 02:32 PM

thanks!! I figure between July euro and then PCD delivery, we're looking at 5-6 months. I think the best way to describe it is not as the perfect car or perfect BMW, but instead as the right BMW for us.

and I stand corrected -- "someone" could accidently put unleaded in, even me!

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter
Old 03-06-2011, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
congrats on the new ride Kash and LondonBlue, hope y'all enjoy her!

...and shame on your for thinking your wifey would put unleaded into a diesel vehicle. Good lord, give us women of the 'fest a little more credit. (though if my exhubby were on here I'm sure he'd come up with something similar to say )
And that's why he is your exhubby LOL!

Yep, anybody can make a mistake and put the wrong gas in. I saw it happened once to a guy who was car conscious... It happens.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.