Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 550
parking sensors only in reverse?

I'm aware that parking sensors only come on in reverse and that a button in the center console can be pressed to manually turn on the front sensors. But I'm wondering: is there a hack, or anything that can be done, to get the front sensors to engage automatically every time I'm pulling up to something close?
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2011, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: Now: Infiniti G35X
That's an excellent question - that would be useful...
Old 02-26-2011, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i xDrive
+1......I'm used to my old car's coming on automatically and I almost scrapped the curb the other day. It's hard to remember to turn it on.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Old 02-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Doesn't an automatic version give you too many unnecessary warnings when driving in heavy, slow moving or stop-and-go traffic? I have no issues with turning the parking assist manually when needed for a frontal approach.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:19 AM

Oh, and to avoid scraping the curb with the bottom of the front end of the car when parking, I use the side view cameras to align the front end of the car to the curb.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Doesn't an automatic version give you too many unnecessary warnings when driving in heavy, slow moving or stop-and-go traffic? I have no issues with turning the parking assist manually when needed for a frontal approach.
+1
Clear Bra
Convenience Pckg
Premium Pckg 2
Michelin Pilot SS
Sirius Sat
Sport Automatic

Old 02-26-2011, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535
Actually, what I find annoying is that the front sensors give a warning when they are close to something -- even when the car is in reverse.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 PM

Actually, it is possible to hit something with the front even if you are moving the vehicle backwards. When turning, for example, you could hit a wall or a vehicle beside you. So the front sensors' warning does make sense. The visual cues displayed on the screen will indicate which areas of the front or rear are close to obstacles, and how close.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
I'd prefer the system default for the front to be on-below some speed, with the button to turn it off in situations not appropreiate to it's use
Old 02-27-2011, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH512 View Post
I'd prefer the system default for the front to be on-below some speed, with the button to turn it off in situations not appropreiate to it's use
Seems this would be annoying as it would come on every few seconds in bumper to bumper traffic or at every stop light. Seems easier to turn it on for the once or twice a day that I would need the front sensors rather than turn it off for the many times the vehicle goes slow. The default on would normally get shut off in traffic and then have to be turned back on for parking anyway. I think you would find it necessary to turn it off many more times than you now have to manually turn it on.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlm999 View Post
Seems this would be annoying as it would come on every few seconds in bumper to bumper traffic or at every stop light. Seems easier to turn it on for the once or twice a day that I would need the front sensors rather than turn it off for the many times the vehicle goes slow. The default on would normally get shut off in traffic and then have to be turned back on for parking anyway. I think you would find it necessary to turn it off many more times than you now have to manually turn it on.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Actually, it is possible to hit something with the front even if you are moving the vehicle backwards. When turning, for example, you could hit a wall or a vehicle beside you. So the front sensors' warning does make sense. The visual cues displayed on the screen will indicate which areas of the front or rear are close to obstacles, and how close.
I agree in general, but it beeps even when the only obstacles are directly in front of the car, and would be impossible to hit while in reverse. Given that it beeps for the first few feet every time I back out of my garage, I have to pay extra attention to *not* simply ignore the beeps since some day there will be something behind me...
Old 02-27-2011, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 535i Xdrive +'01 Corvette
I like the warnings a lot. They help me park in the garage as well as on the street. I can turn on the front sensors either by pushing the button on the console or by putting the car in reverse and then back into drive. So when backing into a spot the rear goes on and then the front go on when I go back into drive. I have to admit I generally push the button. This past weekend we had a lot of snow and there was one occasion when the front was so covered with ice the warnings just screamed. To my mind not a biggie as the system is designed to assist not take the place of my brain.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBlack78 View Post
+1......I'm used to my old car's coming on automatically and I almost scrapped the curb the other day. It's hard to remember to turn it on.
I don't see how a bumper mounted sensor can help avoid scraping a curb.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I don't see how a bumper mounted sensor can help avoid scraping a curb.
It may just be the location of Lexus sensors because I could tell how close I was to a curb/parking pillar. I also was referring to pulling into a parking spot, not backing into one. Apologize for being a little vague on that one. It's just a matter of remembering to turn on the PDC everytime in that instance.

Last edited by MBlack78; 02-27-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: error
Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: mercedes
Our other car is a Mercedes gl and the front sensors are automatically on. But I have never had a problem with them in stop and go traffic. I agree with the original post that BMW should enable us to default to having the front sensors on. If Mercedes can figure out a way to do it, I have to believe BMW can as well.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
My Lincoln Navigator rentals from Hertz have the front sensors engaged at all times and I've never found it to be a problem.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 02-28-2011, 01:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
I really don't see what all the fuss is about on this one. The parking sensors work brilliantly for my needs and I too have no issue manualling switching the front ones on when they are needed.

Confused by the post regarding the use of the side view cameras. Infact, I've not found the side view particularly useful. Top view though is excellent and I wouldn't buy another car without it.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp913 View Post
Our other car is a Mercedes gl and the front sensors are automatically on. But I have never had a problem with them in stop and go traffic. I agree with the original post that BMW should enable us to default to having the front sensors on. If Mercedes can figure out a way to do it, I have to believe BMW can as well.
On my 535i, whenever the sensors come on the idrive display also shows an image showing which sensors are picking up an object. The only way to remove the image is to gain forward speed or turn off the sensors. How would this work if the sensors were on full time? I would not want the sensor display to constantly show or to blink on and off every time the car slowed or stopped or I came within a few feet of another vehicle in stop and go traffic.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport
Ah cmon you mean when my f10 gets here in 2 weeks I gotta manually engage front parking sensors every time? This is old technology my Lexus has had for 4 years. Its simple: Manually select always on with a Lexus and front and rear are engaged. Beyond about 6 mph/10kph it is automatically passive. No sensors activate in stop and go traffic. On occassion with heavy snowfall you have to manually disengage the system to account for build up on the sensors. Sometimes I gotta wonder how real world tested a car is before it ever goes into production? Don't even get me started on the useless split arm rest or the pitiful ashtray ( I am swapping mine out with dealer for a useful cup holder/cell phone pocket functionality ). Perhaps BMW could think real world a little better and less on being different!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
Ah cmon you mean when my f10 gets here in 2 weeks I gotta manually engage front parking sensors every time? This is old technology my Lexus has had for 4 years. Its simple: Manually select always on with a Lexus and front and rear are engaged. Beyond about 6 mph/10kph it is automatically passive. No sensors activate in stop and go traffic. On occassion with heavy snowfall you have to manually disengage the system to account for build up on the sensors. Sometimes I gotta wonder how real world tested a car is before it ever goes into production? Don't even get me started on the useless split arm rest or the pitiful ashtray ( I am swapping mine out with dealer for a useful cup holder/cell phone pocket functionality ). Perhaps BMW could think real world a little better and less on being different!
Does anyone seriously need front sensors? C'mon, you can figure out where the front of the car is, can't you?

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 535iX M Sport
Hey markl53! I find the distnce sensors great as my garage is a tight fit with my motorcycle right in front of my front grill. Besides they are there so we should have full control not always be needing to turn on and off to do daily stops. It would change nothing for those who dont like sensors to have them shut off like on a Lexus but all the way on all the time as in a Lexus when wanted. Seems like bmw missed the mark on this to me. How about first time I ding the fender I send you the repair bill on bmw's behalf as you think they are in the right (kidding of course)
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
Hey markl53! I find the distnce sensors great as my garage is a tight fit with my motorcycle right in front of my front grill. Besides they are there so we should have full control not always be needing to turn on and off to do daily stops. It would change nothing for those who dont like sensors to have them shut off like on a Lexus but all the way on all the time as in a Lexus when wanted. Seems like bmw missed the mark on this to me. How about first time I ding the fender I send you the repair bill on bmw's behalf as you think they are in the right (kidding of course)
Well I was pretty much responding "tongue in cheek", haha. We all seem to get so involved with the small things about our cars that sometimes I think we forget to just drive them. Anyway, I don't have the sensors but I see how it could help in the front as well. Come to think of it, my garage doesn't have a lot of extra space but I've learned to look out the side window of the garage, seeing the side of my house to gauge my distance. Definitely not a high-tech method!