Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328i - Avus blue
Question Not sure if i need to overhaul my cooling system

Ok so i am about to flush my coolant and i am wondering what is necessary to replace at this time. I know the number one thing to replace on these cars is the cooling system because of the plastic parts that can crack and drop your coolant but i am not sure if this applies to me or not my car has a metal thermostat housing on it. I was wondering if BMW made certain cooling system parts metal after a certain year on these cars or if some one else has already replaced these parts the car has 114000 miles on it i bought it at 106000.

I know i may have no idea that i am talking about i am just trying to learn as much as possible before i change the coolant.

any information would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
Old 02-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
It was probably replaced with the aluminum housing. I don't think there is a way to tell about the water pump unless you take it out.

PO have any knowledge about it when you bought it.?
You canít spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM

Yeah I am looking (sorry forgot I had this) at the car facts that I got with it. It says nothing about something on the cooling system replaced.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 PM

Although some one could have done it on their own
Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
BMW used three different kinds of water pumps throughout the E36's production run. They were plastic in the early years, then they switched to a composite impeller, which was better than the plastic impeller. They also used water pumps with metal impellers. When I overhauled my cooling system in the fall, it had the original date-stamped water pump still in the car, and it was a metal impeller. Since your car is the same year as mine ('98) there's very good chance that if your car has the original water pump, it's the one with the metal impeller. That said, your water pump may have been changed by the previous owner. Or, if it is the original pump and you have the metal impeller, the same rules of when you should change it out still apply. If the impeller doesn't get you, a failed bearing will. That's why I say regardless of which of the three water pumps you might have in your car, always change it out every 75-100k miles (or if you don't know when it was last changed).

Same goes for the radiator, expansion tank, bleeder screw, and radiator cap.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 02-26-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
BMW used three different kinds of water pumps throughout the E36's production run. They were plastic in the early years, then they switched to a composite impeller, which was better than the plastic impeller. They also used water pumps with metal impellers. When I overhauled my cooling system in the fall, it had the original date-stamped water pump still in the car, and it was a metal impeller. Since your car is the same year as mine ('98) there's very good chance that if your car has the original water pump, it's the one with the metal impeller. That said, your water pump may have been changed by the previous owner. Or, if it is the original pump and you have the metal impeller, the same rules of when you should change it out still apply. If the impeller doesn't get you, a failed bearing will. That's why I say regardless of which of the three water pumps you might have in your car, always change it out every 75-100k miles (or if you don't know when it was last changed).

Same goes for the radiator, expansion tank, bleeder screw, and radiator cap.
ok sounds good thank you for the great information.

Do you know where i can get a complete overhaul kit?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
I got my overhaul kit from ECSTuning.com (a BimmerFest vendor). Very decent prices.

Also, I forgot to mention - you'll want to replace your belt-driven fan, too. Like the other plastic items in the cooling system, they get brittle over time and fan blades can suddenly break off and go flying into your brand new radiator. They're only around $30, and you'll have it out of the car when replacing the water pump anyway.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I got my overhaul kit from ECSTuning.com (a BimmerFest vendor). Very decent prices.

Also, I forgot to mention - you'll want to replace your belt-driven fan, too. Like the other plastic items in the cooling system, they get brittle over time and fan blades can suddenly break off and go flying into your brand new radiator. They're only around $30, and you'll have it out of the car when replacing the water pump anyway.
Ok thanks for the help!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to ethereal45
Mein Auto: 1998 328i
When you replace the waterpump, make sure you find the one with the composite impeller. All BMW waterpumps at this point that you can buy are remanufactured, and have a composite impeller. The composite impeller is much lighter than the metal one, and less therefore puts less stress on the bearing.

1998 328i
Koni Sport Suspension
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal45 View Post
When you replace the waterpump, make sure you find the one with the composite impeller. All BMW waterpumps at this point that you can buy are remanufactured, and have a composite impeller. The composite impeller is much lighter than the metal one, and less therefore puts less stress on the bearing.
Ok I will thank you