Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 94 325is
New Z4MC Owner

Hey guys,

I'm a new owner of a 07' Z4MC black with black interior an 12k miles. It is one of my dream cars and I finally got one. I've owned an e36 for seven years and an e30 before that. I usually did all the work myself unless I didn't have time or the tools to do the job. I've attached a couple pictures of my Z4MC.

I'll be replacing the engine mount bracket bolts in a couple weeks for preventive maintenance and applying the whole P21S car wash and wax to it.

I have a couple questions though. My leather looks immaculate and would like to keep it that way. What does everyone prefer for conditioner for the Nappa leather? Connolly leather cleaner? Lexol? Zymol?

My last question is about the BMW service CD? I've seen a couple for sale on eBay. How informative is it and you guys like it? Thanks.

Advertisement
Old 02-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4, 2001 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abemcclellan View Post
Hey guys, I'm a new owner of a 07' Z4MC black with black interior an 12k miles.

Nice car...congrats!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm a new owner of a 07' Z4MC black with black interior an 12k miles. It is one of my dream cars and I finally got one. I've owned an e36 for seven years and an e30 before that. I usually did all the work myself unless I didn't have time or the tools to do the job. I've attached a couple pictures of my Z4MC.
I'll be replacing the engine mount bracket bolts in a couple weeks for preventive maintenance and applying the whole P21S car wash and wax to it.
I have a couple questions though. My leather looks immaculate and would like to keep it that way. What does everyone prefer for conditioner for the Nappa leather? Connolly leather cleaner? Lexol? Zymol?
My last question is about the BMW service CD? I've seen a couple for sale on eBay. How informative is it and you guys like it? Thanks.
While you're doing bolts put some Nord-Lock washers on your rear sway bar bracket bolts.
I have used LeatherMaster products on my Bimmer leathers for years with outstanding results. Connolly Hide Cream and Lexol are too greasy for me and simply clog up the pores of the open grain leather. I use LeatherMaster Soft Cleaner followed by Vital Conditioner and a final coat of Protection Cream:
http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Default.aspx
Spinnybeck is another good leather care system:
http://www.leatherz.com/leathercare2.htm
Treat your cow skin just like you should your human skin: Keep it clean and moisturized an out of the sun.
The BMW TIS DVD is a very useful tool if you plan on doing your own maintenance. Search on Ebay and make sure it is compatible with your OS. My 2007 TIS works just fine with Windows 7.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko521 View Post
Nice car...congrats!
Thanks! The car is perfect. It is so awesome to drive. The car doesn't even have a single scratch on it inside or outside. Mint condition and will be kept that way. I was really hoping to find an Imola red Z4MC but after seeing this black sapphire metallic in person, I just had to get it.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
While you're doing bolts put some Nord-Lock washers on your rear sway bar bracket bolts.
I have used LeatherMaster products on my Bimmer leathers for years with outstanding results. Connolly Hide Cream and Lexol are too greasy for me and simply clog up the pores of the open grain leather. I use LeatherMaster Soft Cleaner followed by Vital Conditioner and a final coat of Protection Cream:
http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Default.aspx
Spinnybeck is another good leather care system:
Treat your cow skin just like you should your human skin: Keep it clean and moisturized an out of the sun.
The BMW TIS DVD is a very useful tool if you plan on doing your own maintenance. Search on Ebay and make sure it is compatible with your OS. My 2007 TIS works just fine with Windows 7.
Thanks a lot for the great info. I'll look into the Nordlock washers and sway bar bracket bolts.

Great info for the leather conditioner also. I was hearing the same thing about the Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I'll look into Leather Master and Spineybeck leather products.

As far as the BMW TIS DVD, that is great news. I was a little worried it was just a general burnt copy of some repair manual that they sell off eBay and I'd regret buying it. I normally do all the maintenance myself so it look like I'll be purchasing a copy soon.

Thanks for the helpful reply.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 AM

Anyone else have leather conditioner suggestions for your Nappa leather?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Anyone else have leather conditioner suggestions for your Nappa leather?
I use leatherique rejuvenator oil and pristine clean 2x per year as it's hot and dry, but Spinneybeck in between, especially on the side bolsters of the seat cushion and back.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: M Roadster
I use the BMW stuff from the dealer. I think it's made by Sonax, 1Z Einszett, or some other German company. Goes on greasy and oily, dries to a nice matte finish. I bought the ETK / TIS off E-bay and it didn't work on 2 Windows computers I tried. Now I use all Macs, so I think I'm out of luck. Anyone know will it work with a Mac? I think it requires a certain kind of Windows.

Last edited by Swanicyouth; 03-08-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
I use the BMW stuff from the dealer. I think it's made by Sonax, 1Z Einszett, or some other German company. Goes on greasy and oily, dries to a nice matte finish. I bought the ETK / TIS off E-bay and it didn't work on 2 Windows computers I tried. Now I use all Macs, so I think I'm out of luck. Anyone know will it work with a Mac? I think it requires a certain kind of Windows.
I'll look into the BMW products and Spineybeck as well.

As far as the TIS DVD, mine is on order so I'll let you know if mine works and so forth.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I use leatherique rejuvenator oil and pristine clean 2x per year as it's hot and dry, but Spinneybeck in between, especially on the side bolsters of the seat cushion and back.
Do you use the Spineybeck cleaner or more conditioner in between the leatherique product?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Do you use the Spineybeck cleaner or more conditioner in between the leatherique product?
The cleaner/conditioner sold at leatherz.com

You don't need much, and works better if the seats are a bit warm. So far, no scuffing or wear on the bolsters.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
The cleaner/conditioner sold at leatherz.com

You don't need much, and works better if the seats are a bit warm. So far, no scuffing or wear on the bolsters.
Was going to order this and one other product today....but a $34 order was $66.97 for shipping...geez you would think that I was half way around the world. I will try and find a similar product locally.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadster
I think you can buy the Spineybeck stuff for less right from Spineybeck. Google it. They make leather.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
I think you can buy the Spineybeck stuff for less right from Spineybeck. Google it. They make leather.
yes checked them out as well.

Spineybeck
Finished Leather Cleaner, Conditioner & Protector - 8oz. $12.00
shipping $17.72
Total with shipping and tax total $29.72

Yep... seems I will buy locally... can't believe shipping is that much for a single 8 oz bottle.

I'll check out some local leather shops here and see what they have...or just go buy the BMW version of this.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko521 View Post
Was going to order this and one other product today....but a $34 order was $66.97 for shipping...geez you would think that I was half way around the world. I will try and find a similar product locally.
eshine.ca is usually a good source of quality products at a reasonable price for us Canadians.

Last edited by jsc; 03-08-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
eshine.ca is usually a good source of quality products at a reasonable price for us Canadians.
Thanks...I will look at that! I appreciate the insight.