Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z3 2.5i
New Z4 owner - issues

Hi all -
Just got my first Z4 today - 23k miles , 2003.

When I went to get it, the owner told me he noticed antifreeze leaking - although very little. upon looking, there was some anti freeze on the "floor " under the radiator.
The car had been sitting all winter, so i am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I still bought it and drove it home (the owner said he will pay to get it fixed)

Any ideas on what this could be? I drove about 100 miles, no coolant light came on and i didnt notice further leaks. Could it be just because it was sitting for a few months?

Then about 50 miles into the trip, the radio started turning on and off - it would turn off, on by itself display some sort of message like "disabled" , then off and on ... like there was a lose connection. i stopped the car, and turned it off .. still the same thing. after about 20 mins, i turned the radio back on and now its working fine. Any ideas on what to check?

Thirdly, is it possible to put the top down from the remote key on a 2003?

Thanks a lot! looking forward to joining the BMW community!
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
As far as the soft top operation goes, you will not be able to drop the top from the outside of the car without putting the key in the drivers door. you can if you get one of these, http://www.techtronics.de/xtc/produc...Interface.html The passenger window will not have the one touch up feature either ( only down ) those features were not available until the 04/04 build. Your coolant leak is most likely a hose or the expansion tank.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4, 1962 MGA MkII
Get that leak checked. If it is the expansion tank and it goes, it will go quick. I drive a 2003 Z4 as well and mine went last year. I was idling when it did and luckily did no damage to the engine, but if you are on the highway and the tank goes you could have problems. Also, it might be one of the hoses. My upper hose went right before the expansion tank. I went ahead and replaced the entire cooling system based on the things I'd read on the forums.

Good luck with your new ride.

Donovan
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 AM

thank you for the reply...

any one have any ideas on whether the CAR MAX extended warranty covers the expansion , hoses etc. ? Or - what the expected cost range $ would be?

Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 E85 Z4
Since the leak was there after the car was sitting for the winter, It may be the Temperature Sensor. Not a bad fix, about $20 if you do it yourself. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=415434
Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Z ENTHUSIAST

Mein Auto: 06 3.0 si Z4R
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmansaif View Post
thank you for the reply...

any one have any ideas on whether the CAR MAX extended warranty covers the expansion , hoses etc. ? Or - what the expected cost range $ would be?

Thanks again.
If you have coverage somewhere, I would try them first.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:03 PM

resolution:
took to the dealer, the leak was around the radiator sensor. they replaced sensor and hose. after warranty coverage, i paid $200 out of pocket...

but I have another issue which I just posted. .. "day 3 and another issue " ... please refer to that thread and offer any feedback.

Thanks!