Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
Changing Spark Plugs

Hello BMW owners.
I have a 525i (2002) and want to change my own spark plugs. Does anyone have a link or know how I can do this (step by step). Any HELP would be great!! Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
This is what you want here. I installed my 1st set when I got the car at 80k. Then installed another set at around 140k. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=927369_0_0_

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=895713

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1516692

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254529

http://www.forums.bimmerfest.com/sho....php?p=4508321

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=20507160

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/Produ...001+BMW+525i+3

NGK Iridium 6418's....

Last edited by Jason5driver; 02-28-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Thebizzy.com

BTW it's an easy job. You'll just need an extra long extension. PM me if you need help.

Old plug - New plug

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---

Last edited by Mack; 02-28-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
This is what you want here. I installed my 1st set when I got the car at 80k. Then installed another set at around 140k. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=927369_0_0_
Something is wrong with this web site spark plug selection. They sell you the cheaper replacement plug, not the original.

The original is NGK BKR6EQUP. They are selling the cheaper replacement NGK BKR6EKUB.

You can look here on NGK.com site and see both of them and see the difference. http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1422234

BMW recommends the BKR6EQUP. (More advanced plug.)

mw
Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Thebizzy.com

Hmm looks like you're right. The 3199 (BKR6EQUP) are the laser platinums and priced appropriately. Here http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=940296_0_0_

Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2003 525i sport
Hey bud,
theres pleanty of diys for spark plugs just google e39 spark plug diy...
but basically you'll need a 10mm socket a spark plug socket, flat head screw driver(small tip), 6" extension min, and either a good torque wrench or 18"breaker bar or longer.

after that pop out the the 2 caps on the engine cover passanger side, use 10mm socket to take out those nuts or bollts. pull off the cover. you'll then see your ignition coils, unplug them by raising the small clamp up and it pops the connector plugs out. pull and twist slightly on the ignition coils ( gripping from its base) and pull out each ignition coil 1 at a time and you'll see your spark plugs.. keep in mind to either do 1 at a time or remember which ignition coil is for which cylinder.

use ur spark plug socket, extension and breaker bar of torque wrench to take out spark plugs, they may be tight and a lil hard to get. make sure 2 check for any oil in the cylinder as it'll be a sign of the spark plug seals on their way out and in need of replacing but then thats a valve cover gasket job. after you get the plugs out replace them. now some people recommend this and others dont but you have a choice of adding some spark plug anti sieze compound to the threads and a ignition boot anti sieze also. note some spark plugs already come with anti sieze alread applied. also good to look for a spark plug you dont have to gap.

hope it helps and any1 can feel free to add on to my quick intro on this. note may be some typos or mispelled words... in the event its late and my bad
Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2003 525i sport
oh and the bosch platinums 4+ plugs or something similar to that are pretty good
Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoch View Post
Hello BMW owners.
I have a 525i (2002) and want to change my own spark plugs. Does anyone have a link or know how I can do this (step by step). Any HELP would be great!! Thanks.
Along the vein of teaching to fish ...
  1. I clicked on the VERY best of E39 Links (SEE NOTE 1)
    • Note 1: It's more efficient when you set your Bimmerfest control panel to the maximum number of posts per page so a single search will find what you need. Click on your Bimmerfest "User CP -> Edit Options -> Number of Posts to Show Per Page -> 80 -> Save Changes".
  2. I pressed my operating system "find" hotkey (i.e., "control f" in Windows & Linux & "command f" on the Mac) (SEE NOTE 2)
    • NOTE 2: With Firefox, the slash (/) hotkey, in addition to "control f", does the same search, without the extra overhead.
  3. I typed the search term, e.g., "spark plugs" (sans quotes) & the cursor focus jumped to the first match it found (SEE NOTE 3)
    • NOTE 3: On Windows & Linux, the "F3" hotkey will jump to the next find; "shift F3" will reverse the find; "enter" will open the current link. If the search fails, the search term will highlight in red. (Mac users, please let me know what keys you use.)
    This quick search came up with a number of good references on how to change your spark plugs.
Here's only one of them:
- Spark plug application charts (1), deciphering key (1), replacing spark plugs (1) (2) (3) & the truth about torque (1)
Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 PM

So that every thread builds upon the others, I reviewed all the links proposed in this thread, including the extensive FAQ, and added them to the bestlinks thread so the next person finds them all in seconds.

Here's the latest combination of all the recommended links:
- BMW spark plug application charts (1) (2), best plug to use (1) (2), deciphering key (1), reading plugs (1), the truth about torque (1), the truth about gap (1) (2) & DIYs for replacing spark plugs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Last edited by bluebee; 02-28-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 525I BMW
Changing spark plugs on my bmw 525

Where can I find aDiagram to change my spark plugs properly?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy01 View Post
Where can I find aDiagram to change my spark plugs properly?
Every single useful spark-plug-changing-related 'diagram' I could find I put into this thread:

- One user's pictorial DIY for replacing the BMW M54 engine spark plugs (1)

If that doesn't have what you want, ask over there as it had everything "I" needed (and I'm needy!).
Old 03-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i (E39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini23007 View Post
oh and the bosch platinums 4+ plugs or something similar to that are pretty good
surprisingly, autozone has these +4 plus at good price right now. $4.99 and $1 per plug rebate. grabbing 6 tonight.