Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Adding USB port to center console

This is my first post after picking-up my 2007 650 convertible last week. It already had the AUX input jack installed in the center console, but it had no charging port inside the bin. Today I added a USB charging port next to the AUX input.

I found this small-footprint charging port at CARiD.com.

I spent a lot of time trying to remove the center console arm-rest bin to gain access to the interior. I found that I could pull the bin up somewhat, but could not really rotate it far enough to be helpful. After a quick visit to realoem, I discovered that the AUX input jack was incorporated into a false bottom of the bin. A few minutes with a trim tool allowed me to remove the bottom of the bin and disconnect the existing AUX connector. (Can someone tell me if those two slots are simply storage for 2 coins? Seems a little strange.)

I tapped-in to the power at the outlet that's in the passenger footwell. Removing 4 screws drops the panel.

A little tug on the trim around the shifter lifts it out of the way. I ended up removing it entirely to give me some more room. The shifter pull straight off and then 4 electrical connectors on the underside of the trim piece must be detached to fully remove it. I snaked a stiff wire from the shifter area forward to the footwell and backwards to the console bin, and then attached my power wires to it to pull back through. Home Depot was out of red wire, so I chose white.

I mounted the USB port right next to the AUX input, but facing horizontal rather than vertical like the AUX input. This allowed me to preserve the precious coin slots.

My forstner bit wandered a bit when I started drilling - embarrassingly far in fact - and removed some of the flocking on the bin insert. Fortunately it won't be too visible once installed.

I used some insulated connectors to attach the power lines to the USB port. Just in case I need to remove it some day. Probably way overkill.

I used a couple power taps next to the footwell outlet. These always seem just on the edge of being "hackish", but I used them anyway.

Checking things out before buttoning everything back together.

Final result:

I was hoping I would be able to control my iPod through the iDrive, but I wasn't able to. I guess it's a limitation of the version of iDrive software on a 2007 E64. But, at least I can keep the iPod charged now.
Ads by Google
Old 03-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Looks good but a fair amount of effort... I just bought the adapter for the cig lighter to use as a USB charger. not as clean as you get the visible charging cord but still works

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, premium sound, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with non-RFT super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, 5W bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for the family - no mod's

Last edited by gregb; 03-16-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: 645 ci
question???

i have a 2005 6 series is there a way to add and aux input to my car?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by drop1986 View Post
Yes, there is a kit from BMW for installing the cable and port then you need a dealer to program the car so the AUX shows up in iDrive.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 03-27-2014, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by drop1986 View Post
If you're willing to DIY it, you can order the cable from roskinc on ebay. It's $26.99. I have no affiliation other than getting my cable from him. He includes instructions for connecting the cable as well. You will need ncsexpert and a ODB2 cable to code it yourself, or find someone local to you to code it for you.

Here are the parameters that need to be coded:

1. add +NAUX in VO
2. module CAPPL : AUX_CONFIG = mounted
3. module CAUDI : INPUT_SCALING_SUB2 = wert_02

In all it took me about 1.5 hours to get the cable installed and AUX coded. It was my first time tearing the interior apart and coding, so probably took twice the time it should have.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i
Thank you For sharing Ross. I also have an '07 E64 and was disappointed to not find a 5v port in the council. I'll be following your guide to make the same mod to my vert when the weather warms up a bit. I also modded an apple airport express to power off 5vdc so my intentions will be to install this in my council and plug into the aux port.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hififarmer View Post
Thank you For sharing Ross. I also have an '07 E64 and was disappointed to not find a 5v port in the council. I'll be following your guide to make the same mod to my vert when the weather warms up a bit. I also modded an apple airport express to power off 5vdc so my intentions will be to install this in my council and plug into the aux port.
Best of luck. I like your idea of setting-up the Airport Express as standalone and streaming music to it. What I don't care for about my setup is I have to deal with the cable hanging-off my iPod. Hmm, I might have to look into the mod you mention.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i
I have it in my pickup right now and the difference in audio quality compared to bluetooth is noticable if you have a keen ear. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have bothered. I also have the ipod adapter installed in my car and while it's nice to see track title or artist name on the idrive I think the sacrific is worth it for better quality audio. There are 30 pin adapters out there now you can stream airplay to. I have one of those as well I have yet to try in my car, but if it meets expectations then the mod I did to the airport express would be irrelevant other than providing another opportunity to add airplay to some other 12 volt application. I might test this adapter this weekend to see how it works. I had tried a 30 pin bluetooth adapter, but the ipod adapter didn't recognize it. Not sure if we can name drop on here, but if you would like to know more pm me.