Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Smile bmw 650i fan shroud removal?

hi
is there any link or instruction for removing fan?
i'm going to replace the drive belt, tensioner and pully... but i can't see how it can be done
with the fan in place

thank you

Last edited by f13platform; 05-18-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-19-2014, 03:30 PM

looks like there is nothing online about this....i will buy TIS see if i can find anything

_____________________________________________B for Bmw, B for BBS, B for Black, B for Beauty
Old 05-20-2014, 10:23 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
I think there is a thread on here where someone changed the alternator and in the course of doing it they removed the fan to give more access. I think it is either in the DIY section or as a thread, it had pictures as well!!!!!
If I remember correctly it is quite easy and straight forward to do........

Does my bum look good in this !

Last edited by 645/333; 05-20-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
I think there is a thread on here where someone changed the alternator and in the course of doing it they removed the fan to give more access. I think it is either in the DIY section or as a thread, it had pictures as well!!!!!
If I remember correctly it is quite easy and straight forward to do........
Nice find, I forgot about that one. Here is the link for the alternator DIY.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
To be honest I wish the DIY section was purely for work that people had done and described with pictures or procedures/write ups.
It would be even better if it could be indexed as well. Major components or modules etc.
We have so much useful data and excellent write ups, but as the forum has grown, it is so much more difficult to search and find particular examples......
As people come into the forum they come across issues already experienced but many searches do not come up with the help they need............. Well these are my thoughts, would be interesting to know the Forum Moderators thoughts on the issue...........

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Nice find, I forgot about that one. Here is the link for the alternator DIY.

thank you so much for help

i really didn't want to post in DIY, but notice other do so.... it's true we should only keep it
that way

_____________________________________________B for Bmw, B for BBS, B for Black, B for Beauty
Old 06-07-2014, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 650 convertible
650 fan shroud removal

Hello all,
I replaced my o6 e64 fan shroud about 10 months ago.
Fan and shroud are one unit.
Once you remove all the other brackets and air filter etc. you will notice two hoses connecting through a hole built into the shroud, located on the right side (drivers side u.s. Cars) down close to the bottom.This is the supply and return hoses for the oil cooler. The oil cooler is a radiator that is mounted to the inside of the fan shroud. The hoses disconnect Easley enough, a simple flange retains each hose and the flange is held in place with one small bolt. Inside the hose connections is a rubber "O" ring. In my case I had to replace one because it was damaged. Here is the interesting part, you are going to get oil, no stopping it, even if you drain your oil you will never get the oil out of the oil cooler, the hoses, when disconnected, can be elevated to above the level of the rest of the motor.
All mounting bolts are at the top of the shroud, the shroud fits Into a "slot" at the bottom, the shroud has a flap on both sides of it, one is permenant the other has a hinge (drivers side u.s. cars) this hinge you will swing for removal and installation. It came out easyer than it went back in.
Good luck
Old 06-08-2014, 12:54 PM

thanks for info

there is 2 pipe on mine too....nothing on the DIY, must be very early model