Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 550i xDrive M Sport
Performance Tires for 550i xDrive

Just ordered a 550i xDrive with M Sport and other goodies. First 5 series in awhile. Bought new 540i Sport back in 98 but traded for 2001 740iL with Sport package. Can't wait for my new baby. In the paint booth today and production complete tomorrow.

I have a question about tires. I'm not a big fan of all season tires. Not good enough for winter and lame for summer. Since I will need winter ice tires I will get another set of wheels. Does anyone know if I can use performance tires, on different wheels of course, that are 245/45 front and 275/40 on rear with my car? Not sure how much leeway I have from tire standpoint. Book shows 550i non xDrives have 245/40 and 275/35 on rear. Tires on my car being built are 245/45's all around. All are 19" rims.

Thanks for your input.

John
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive, C4S cab
So what you want to do is put larger diameter tires on the car, if I'm understanding?
The supplied 19" tire is 26.7165 (83.9324 circumference) for the front and 26.5787 for the rear on the non xDrives.
You're wanting to put 27.6811 (86.9627 circumference)on the front and 27.6614 on the rear. So about an additional inch in diameter.
Issues are clearance and all the electronics which depend on the expected standard measurement.

xDrive comes without staggered size tires. So on the xDrive for 19" it is 245/40X19 all around. 18" would be 245/45X18 (26.6811 diameter) all around.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH512 View Post
So what you want to do is put larger diameter tires on the car, if I'm understanding?
The supplied 19" tire is 26.7165 (83.9324 circumference) for the front and 26.5787 for the rear on the non xDrives.
You're wanting to put 27.6811 (86.9627 circumference)on the front and 27.6614 on the rear. So about an additional inch in diameter.
Issues are clearance and all the electronics which depend on the expected standard measurement.

xDrive comes without staggered size tires. So on the xDrive for 19" it is 245/40X19 all around. 18" would be 245/45X18 (26.6811 diameter) all around.
Yes, you're talking about 1" overall diameter more.

However, the electronics issue as you mention is moot. That setup is exactly the same size front and rear, and have exactly the same revs/mile. So no differential in front / rear axle speed for the computer to choke on.

I never realized that the rolling difference in the front and rears for the non-AWD sport cars is 2.6% different. interesting....

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Yes, you're talking about 1" overall diameter more.

However, the electronics issue as you mention is moot. That setup is exactly the same size front and rear, and have exactly the same revs/mile. So no differential in front / rear axle speed for the computer to choke on.

I never realized that the rolling difference in the front and rears for the non-AWD sport cars is 2.6% different. interesting....
revs/mile will not be the same with the larger tires front and rear.

I think he wants to go to staggered larger diameter tires on an xDrive. Agreed front and back are not an issue.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH512 View Post
revs/mile will not be the same with the larger tires front and rear.

I think he wants to go to staggered larger diameter tires on an xDrive. Agreed front and back are not an issue.
Agreed, revs / mile will be different than stock, which means that your speedo (and everything else that reads it) will be off. But that shouldn't be too big of a deal.

What is a bigger deal is to run too much differential between front and rear tires in terms of revs / mile or circumference or however you want to state it. Since the system is set up with the same tires front / rear, too much differential between the two could cause issues. Not sure what they are with this car or how much differential can be tolerated.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 550i xDrive M Sport
Thanks for your inputs. I was looking at the 3 different scenarios and the circumference of front and back are only .062" difference between the tires that come with xDrive and tire option I listed once I used calculator. I guess the only other question is whether there are any differences between xDrive wheel well clearance and non xDrive wheel well clearances in rear (245 vs 275 tire width). I would think they are the same and reason the non xDrive has narrower tire width is due to the better traction in winter snow but would be nice to know for sure.

Great to be part of this forum. Thank you.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:13 PM

I remembered someone saying in Germany the xDrive came with staggered sized tires. That seems to be true as I checked their configurator, so clearance for larger rear tires should not be a problem.

Interesting the M Sport default is 18" M Sport wheel, the 19" is an option.

Mischbereifung (Bestandteil von M Sportpaket)
M Leichtmetallräder Doppelspeiche 350 M, 18" mit
Mischbereifung und Notlaufeigenschaften. Größe vorn 8 J x 18
Zoll, Bereifung 245/45 R 18, Größe hinten 9 J x 18 Zoll, Bereifung
275/40 R 18.

Last edited by RH512; 03-01-2011 at 02:14 PM.