Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-01-2011, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: Pending
Need help with navigating idrive for audio use

Hi everyone,

900 miles into my 550iX M sport and still loving it, despite the horrible weather.

Since I've had some time to play with the audio system, I have found a few things that I cannot easily do.

When playing a song from an ipod but the screen shows the input selections, is there an easy way to get to the current selection other than using the voice recognition to get to "current playback". I am looking for a quick, 1 button method.

Same question with getting to the details on a station/song playing on satellite radio. I currently have to navigate with the controller knob to the details section. This takes more steps than I would like to do.

Ideally, I would be able to set it up to push a single button to get to the details on either, but I can't set a quick button to do so... it says unable to save.

I know it's not a big deal, but it should be easier to get the screen to show you what is playing.

Anyone have a short cut?

Thanks,
Phoenix73
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix73 View Post
Hi everyone,

900 miles into my 550iX M sport and still loving it, despite the horrible weather.

Since I've had some time to play with the audio system, I have found a few things that I cannot easily do.

When playing a song from an ipod but the screen shows the input selections, is there an easy way to get to the current selection other than using the voice recognition to get to "current playback". I am looking for a quick, 1 button method.

Same question with getting to the details on a station/song playing on satellite radio. I currently have to navigate with the controller knob to the details section. This takes more steps than I would like to do.

Ideally, I would be able to set it up to push a single button to get to the details on either, but I can't set a quick button to do so... it says unable to save.

I know it's not a big deal, but it should be easier to get the screen to show you what is playing.

Anyone have a short cut?

Thanks,
Phoenix73
If you want to scroll the list the steering wheel roller works great to go up and down a play list or up and down radio presets. Now, in order to look at the details of the individual song, that is where the split screen will keep it visible for you. I always display the "entertainment details" on the right hand (smaller) section of the split screen. If you don't use the split screen I definitely recommend it for this purpose. To turn it on you navigate to the right with the idrive controller until the menu comes up on the side, then make sure the split screen box is checked. You can display other stuff over there as well but the entertainment stuff just makes the most sense to me...The album art is a great touch on that side!

Is this what you were asking or something different?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Jack the cat

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Audio

I agree with ihumphrey about the screen set up. By selecting split screen, then select the right side and select Entertainment Details. This always then shows on the right side whatever entertainment information is available depending on the audio source (satellite, FM, ipod or hard drive) On the left side will then be your current selection from the iDrive (navigation, satellite, telephone, etc.). This set up will also give you more navigation information if you input a destination. Try it and you will see.

Now, the additional option is to your numbered presets under the radio to do what you want. For example I have programmed a preset to to actually go to the radio presets screen. Since I have programmed both satellite and FM into the presets, I can quickly change a radio selection by pushing the numbered button and dialing down the list with IDrive. Because of the split screen function above, this will happen on the left side and once I have selected a station, the program track details will appear on the right. While on the screen you want, simply hold the selected numbered button to program it.

Long answer. Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
The only think I don't like about keeping entertainment split screen up all the time is that some of the CD's I have burned to the hard drive come up with zero album or track info. Yes - these were store bought CD's. So then I'm driving around with entertainment info as a bunch of blanks. Booo.

I keep the split screen as a shortcut button so it's easy to swap in and out but then I drive around with the monster nav map and get mad that I can't have both!

I wish the car had better info between the dials like the VAG products do...it's a better place for entertainment info, IMO.

There are definitely some tihngs about the way information is displayed between the iDrive screen and the info screen under the dials that I think its not 100% thought out.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-02-2011, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I've got to sympathize with Phoenix73 regarding the lack of maneuverability for "current selection" as well as "detailed info". I do not have the NAV, so no split screen option for me. Also, the programmable buttons do not permit current selection or detailed info. Hoping for a software upgrade to address this. Another shortcoming is that the iPod playback will always be in "repeat" mode, despite the fact that in the settings menu on the actual iPod, I have unchecked the repeat function. The BMW software apparently ignores this setting on the iPod. As such, if you play an album, upon completion, it will start playing the album over again instead of simply stopping. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPod interface. I'd just enjoy seeing a few improvements.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiana64 View Post
I've got to sympathize with Phoenix73 regarding the lack of maneuverability for "current selection" as well as "detailed info". I do not have the NAV, so no split screen option for me. Also, the programmable buttons do not permit current selection or detailed info. Hoping for a software upgrade to address this. Another shortcoming is that the iPod playback will always be in "repeat" mode, despite the fact that in the settings menu on the actual iPod, I have unchecked the repeat function. The BMW software apparently ignores this setting on the iPod. As such, if you play an album, upon completion, it will start playing the album over again instead of simply stopping. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPod interface. I'd just enjoy seeing a few improvements.
Did not know that non nav cars don't have split screen but makes sense I guess...isn't there a separate screen in idrive to specifically adjust the repeat function (i.e. not on the ipod)??
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
No separate screen for "repeat". The separate screen covers "random". Inasmuch as the iPod contains the repeat option, it seems like the repeat option is something that could easily be programmed into the BMW software.