Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645CI Sport
Smoke from exhaust

in short can white/bluish smoke from the exhaust be caused by a coolant problem?
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
That is most likely your valve seals. Do a search here and you'll find tons of info. What is your current mileage?
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 PM

Hello Yorgi, thanks for the info. How much thats that type of job cost to repair? It has 175k..

Also yesturday, i came back and i notice that my car is still running at about 245 ferenhite is that normal? I alao tocied that i hear the fan running extreamly high, i think it migjt be the thermostat, what do you guys think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-16-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW645CA View Post
Hello Yorgi, thanks for the info. How much thats that type of job cost to repair? It has 175k..

Also yesturday, i came back and i notice that my car is still running at about 245 ferenhite is that normal? I alao tocied that i hear the fan running extreamly high, i think it migjt be the thermostat, what do you guys think?

You don't want to know what the dealer charges, this guy in NY charges $2,500. There is a new tool from All German Auto which allows a much faster seal replacement so if you can find a shop that uses this new method the cost will be a lot less, probably half. If you are near Escondido, CA you can go directly to All German Auto.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:02 AM

Yorgi- wow.. Around 2,500!! Alright ill have to start putting some money away..

Question i did a bit of research on the valve stem, and what ive been seeing was that it could be the cause if you only detect it in the mornjng at first start, is that right? My car dosent do it in the morni.g, only when its at its regular running stage and then it sits on idle for about 2-4 minutes then you press on the gas.. Then the smoke comes out. Any guess's?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Yorgi- wow.. Around 2,500!! Alright ill have to start putting some money away..

Question i did a bit of research on the valve stem, and what ive been seeing was that it could be the cause if you only detect it in the mornjng at first start, is that right? My car dosent do it in the morni.g, only when its at its regular running stage and then it sits on idle for about 2-4 minutes then you press on the gas.. Then the smoke comes out. Any guess's?

Do more search here on forums for this issue.Yes you have bad valve stem seals 100%.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:52 AM

Dolfan13 / yorgi- Roger that! Thanks guys for the help..

On a nother topic, on my ealier post i mention about an over heating issue i been having. Now i think it was due to my adding non 50/50 coolant. Could that have caused it? I drove my car to work today and it seem to hold its own. Meaning in about 45 minutes my car went from cold start to 245 f is that normal? Before i add the wrong cooland it was running at about 235-240.

Any recommandation? Ive heard that it could be my water pump or thermostat..

Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Dolfan13 / yorgi- Roger that! Thanks guys for the help..

On a nother topic, on my ealier post i mention about an over heating issue i been having. Now i think it was due to my adding non 50/50 coolant. Could that have caused it? I drove my car to work today and it seem to hold its own. Meaning in about 45 minutes my car went from cold start to 245 f is that normal? Before i add the wrong cooland it was running at about 235-240.

Any recommandation? Ive heard that it could be my water pump or thermostat..
For starters, what coolant do you have in there now? I would use only BMW brand coolant since it is pH balanced and has very high quality corrosion inhibitors compared to domestic coolant. It is cheap insurance for your $716 radiator.

I don't think your coolant mix ratio will make much of a difference on running temps. The correct ratio is more for raising the boiling point / lowering the freezing point of the coolant.

Your temps are only slightly higher than normal (230 - 240F) so I would just keep an eye on things for now. Your thermostat or water pump might be on the way out. If you are running the original thermostat it does not cost much to replace.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 AM

Hello Yorgi- thanks for the reply..

Ive been using Peak coolant, but ill make sure to change it over to BMW coolant only. I recently changed my coolant sensor oring seal, i noticed that i been having a coolant leak for a few month now but just didnt have the time to check it out (picture below) ill see it that did the trick.

My next project before the valve stem replacement will be taking care of this over heating propblem and replace the thermostat, my car has 173k so its probably the original one still..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395082032907.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	428592  
Old 03-18-2014, 05:20 PM

Alright so after gathering up all the information regarding my overheating I pulled up a few pictures from under the hood and underneath the vehicle.

What do you guys think it could be???
A bad radiator or something internal?
Could this be why my engine is also overheating?

It seams like there is no external leak from the lower radiator hose or from the coolant sensor(replace). Im guessing is the radiator.

The other pictures are from the bottom, and I cant see anything poring out from the edges of the plastic black cover it seams to be supping out from the middle of the gaps.

But then again im not an expert.?
Yorgi- by the way I check the compression container and its all good.

Thank you in advance everyone!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395187916346.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	428874   Click image for larger version

Name:	1395187964747.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	428875   Click image for larger version

Name:	1395188057767.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	428882  
Old 03-18-2014, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I would check the expansion tank seams for cracks, it looks like it might be starting to leak? Most of the time the engine runs hot, the expansion tank will develop problems. Remove the hold down bolts for the tank, & inspect it closely. You will most likely find your problem. This would also be a good time to change the bleed line across the top of the radiator. It could be leaking very slowly under pressure. It will usually crack across the top, or leak at the hose clamp, where it connects to the radiator.

Good Luck!