Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 AM
00Bob 00Bob is offline
Registered User
Location: Qc, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Roll up windows with the remote!

Hi everybody,

I'm at the dealer right now, and i asked to activate the roll up windows function with my remote.

My dealer said that he (or BMW Canada!) can't do that because it's not safe!!!

And he said to me that technically, the controller can be reprogram, but BMW computer to reprogram the controller can't offer this option anyway!!!!

Guys, can you give me the right info about this issue.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:23 AM
timfitz63's Avatar
timfitz63 timfitz63 is offline
MT = Doppler Shifting
Location: Lorena & San Antonio, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 860
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Bob View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm at the dealer right now, and i asked to activate the roll up windows function with my remote.

My dealer said that he (or BMW Canada!) can't do that because it's not safe!!!

And he said to me that technically, the controller can be reprogram, but BMW computer to reprogram the controller can't offer this option anyway!!!!

Guys, can you give me the right info about this issue.

Thanks in advance!
That sounds like a blow-off to me. What's not safe about it? BMW build in a "pinch protection system" to avoid catching something or someone in the closing windows/roof panels.

And my Owner's Manual clearly states these features can be activated/deactivated by the dealer...
__________________

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:37 AM
PimoX3 PimoX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary, AB
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 434
Mein Auto: 2008 550 m-sport, 2006 X3
Your dealer is not lying - they are not allowed to activate this function in Canada or the US. There's a big discussion on this in the 5-series forums, but basically the function is available and can be set in Europe, but N. American dealers are not allowed to set it for "saftey" (ok, probably "liability" is more like it) reasons. Same deal with Canadian dealers not being allowed to turn off DRL's - even if you have an alternative in place.

If you have access to coding tools you can set this option (and a bunch of others) to your hearts content, but it will be removed if you ever have the car updated (then you need to re-set it again).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 AM
timfitz63's Avatar
timfitz63 timfitz63 is offline
MT = Doppler Shifting
Location: Lorena & San Antonio, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 860
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimoX3 View Post
Your dealer is not lying - they are not allowed to activate this function in Canada or the US. There's a big discussion on this in the 5-series forums, but basically the function is available and can be set in Europe, but N. American dealers are not allowed to set it for "saftey" (ok, probably "liability" is more like it) reasons. Same deal with Canadian dealers not being allowed to turn off DRL's - even if you have an alternative in place.

If you have access to coding tools you can set this option (and a bunch of others) to your hearts content, but it will be removed if you ever have the car updated (then you need to re-set it again).
Well, I can't verify it at the moment, but I'm almost certain mine will close the windows/roof by holding down the lock button on the remote... This "restriction" from activating the closing function may not extend to the U.S.

"00Bob:" Have you tried just using the key in the door lock cylinder to close the windows/roof? That avenue is certainly less convenient than the remote, but might work on your vehicle. And if it does work, it leads me to the rhetorical question: why is this method of closing the windows (key in the lock cylinder) any less "safe" than using the remote...?
__________________

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 AM
00Bob 00Bob is offline
Registered User
Location: Qc, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Thanks guys for your infos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
"00Bob:" Have you tried just using the key in the door lock cylinder to close the windows/roof? That avenue is certainly less convenient than the remote, but might work on your vehicle. And if it does work, it leads me to the rhetorical question: why is this method of closing the windows (key in the lock cylinder) any less "safe" than using the remote...?
Yes, it works up and down with the door lock.

Dealer said, even with the pinch protection, BMW think that is not enough...

Ho well...can't wait Bavarian technic to find the way to access this module...

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM
UberXY UberXY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: 00 M5
Well, the back seat area of my '00 E39 has a set of airbags that have never been activated. When I bought the car new, BMW would only activate them if I signed a statement swearing that children would never ride in the car.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2011, 08:21 AM
UberXY UberXY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 125
Mein Auto: 00 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
And if it does work, it leads me to the rhetorical question: why is this method of closing the windows (key in the lock cylinder) any less "safe" than using the remote...?

Because you can unintentionally press a remote button (see"butt dialing"), but it's unlikely that you will unintentionally have the key in the lock cylinder.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 AM
szee1 szee1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: 2 2004 X3's
Thank frivolous lawsuits. This is available in Europe but not North America. I have the E-bay software and OBD2 hardware to program the system and have enabled this on both of ours. Truthfully I never use it however my wife does quite frequently.

I just dislike knowing that the vehicle is capable of something that has been disabled because of my geography.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
timfitz63's Avatar
timfitz63 timfitz63 is offline
MT = Doppler Shifting
Location: Lorena & San Antonio, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 860
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberXY View Post
Because you can unintentionally press a remote button (see"butt dialing"), but it's unlikely that you will unintentionally have the key in the lock cylinder.
Well, you could be correct, and that may be the "rationale" behind BMW's argument to decline requests to activate the feature. And there may be little I can do to change it -- but I question its validity nonetheless.

That locking button on the remote (at least on the integral key/remote that I have) is pretty recessed; there's almost no chance of it being inadvertently activate by simply sitting on it -- or by it getting casually pressed and held up against something in, say, a woman's purse...

And to have that happen within range of the vehicle with the windows/roof open and someone's appendage in the path while experiencing a failure of the pinch protection system is of such a low probability that you probably couldn't measure it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by szee1 View Post
Thank frivolous lawsuits...
Bingo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by szee1 View Post
... I have the E-bay software and OBD2 hardware to program the system...
I may need to get me some of that too. "szee1," if you've got information on the seller, etc., please PM me.
__________________

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...

Last edited by timfitz63; 03-03-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 AM
szee1 szee1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: 2 2004 X3's
pm sent.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM
new_e46 new_e46 is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: E46
Both my E46 and E83 has this functionality on the remote.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM
szee1 szee1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: 2 2004 X3's
Down and up?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
oldman67 oldman67 is offline
Registered User
Location: Leaf River,IL.
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 97740i,99z3,05 x3
which software do you use

I really don't care about the windows, just the tools that you use to help maintain the car. I have a 2005 x5 3.0 and a 1999z3 2.5 any help is highly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-03-2011, 11:56 AM
El Zilcho El Zilcho is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 07 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by szee1 View Post
pm sent.
I'm interested in this software too. Can you PM this info for me.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 PM
szee1 szee1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: 2 2004 X3's
I'm guessing others may be interested too. The link below is not from the seller I dealt with however my purchase was over a year ago and sellers in China change frequently. The software is not super intuitive however if you take your time and work through the menus, most changes are available. Thus far I have changed the daytime running lights, the auto lock feature, the remote window roll up, maint schedules, the speedometer offset ratio (to bring the speedometer into a realistic reading and no this only changes the speedo and not the odometer inputs so your indicated mileage is still accurate), turned the blinking clown nose on when my wife locks her doors (she doesn't have the alarm), etc, etc, etc. Lots you can do with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-1-4-0-Scanne...item3f06f1d189

Cheers
S
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 AM
X3 Skier's Avatar
X3 Skier X3 Skier is offline
Powder Days
Location: Ohio and Colorado
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,949
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
My 2005 will open the windows and sun roof using the remote but will not close them. Never really thought about what would happen if one window was open and the rest closed.

Cheers
__________________
Just Some Consultant

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 AM
00Bob 00Bob is offline
Registered User
Location: Qc, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 27
Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Thanks for the info szee1!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 AM
vern vern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,739
Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
Well,

That locking button on the remote (at least on the integral key/remote that I have) is pretty recessed; there's almost no chance of it being inadvertently activate by simply sitting on it -- or by it getting casually pressed and held up against something in, say, a woman's purse...
.
Not so I pressed the button inadvertently on both my X3 and 535 only to see the windows,roof and trunk lid open.
cheers
vern
__________________
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 AM
timfitz63's Avatar
timfitz63 timfitz63 is offline
MT = Doppler Shifting
Location: Lorena & San Antonio, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 860
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Not so I pressed the button inadvertently on both my X3 and 535 only to see the windows,roof and trunk lid open.
cheers
vern
Not saying it can't happen; just that it would be the exception rather than the norm. Personally, I've never had it happen.
__________________

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-04-2011, 06:54 AM
vern vern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,739
Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
Not saying it can't happen; just that it would be the exception rather than the norm. Personally, I've never had it happen.
Its happen to me at least 1/2 dozen times since I've owned BMW's, mostly with the trunk lid.
cheers
vern
__________________
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-04-2011, 07:01 AM
timfitz63's Avatar
timfitz63 timfitz63 is offline
MT = Doppler Shifting
Location: Lorena & San Antonio, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 860
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Its happen to me at least 1/2 dozen times since I've owned BMW's, mostly with the trunk lid.
cheers
vern
Hmmm. Well, we clearly carry our keys differently; not only have I never had it happen to me with my X3, I've never had it happen to me with any vehicle ever. And that includes the occasional rental car...

Even so, to have it happen in conjunction with the lengthy list of circumstances necessary to warrant a lawsuit is, I think you would agree, remote at best (no pun intended)...
__________________

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 AM
vern vern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,739
Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
Hmmm. Well, we clearly carry our keys differently; not only have I never had it happen to me with my X3, I've never had it happen to me with any vehicle ever. And that includes the occasional rental car...

Even so, to have it happen in conjunction with the lengthy list of circumstances necessary to warrant a lawsuit is, I think you would agree, remote at best (no pun intended)...
Your right but if you do a search you will find quite a few members wanted to know why they found their trunk open when they don't recall pressing the button. Have a great day
cheers
vern
__________________
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 AM
timfitz63's Avatar
timfitz63 timfitz63 is offline
MT = Doppler Shifting
Location: Lorena & San Antonio, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 860
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Your right but if you do a search you will find quite a few members wanted to know why they found their trunk open when they don't recall pressing the button. Have a great day
cheers
vern
Admittedly I do not know all the circumstances surrounding each of those cases; but mysteriously finding the trunk lid open does not necessarily mean it was caused by an inadvertent push of a key fob button in one's pocket -- or even a stray signal from the remote. That would be only one possibility. And to get the windows/roof to open/close via the remote, not only does the button need to be pressed, but also held.

I'm sorry, Vern. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't see that there is enough technical justification to support BMW's refusal to honor an owner's request to activate this feature. Plain and simple, this is just an "easy-out" for BMW to avoid frivolous lawsuits. I can't say that I blame them, and I wish the world was otherwise. I guess I would rather just be able to decide such matters for myself, without the influence of those who are simply looking for "jackpot justice..."
__________________

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-04-2011, 06:20 PM
mscamp's Avatar
mscamp mscamp is offline
Bimmer Dreamer
Location: Central Illinois
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 510
Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
Well, I can't verify it at the moment, but I'm almost certain mine will close the windows/roof by holding down the lock button on the remote... This "restriction" from activating the closing function may not extend to the U.S.

"00Bob:" Have you tried just using the key in the door lock cylinder to close the windows/roof? That avenue is certainly less convenient than the remote, but might work on your vehicle. And if it does work, it leads me to the rhetorical question: why is this method of closing the windows (key in the lock cylinder) any less "safe" than using the remote...?
Dealer activated on both of our Bimmers. Didn't even have to ask.
__________________
2011 X3 - Purchased BMW of Peoria, IL October 6, 2012 - Deep Sea Blue/Oyster/Sienna - CWP1, CWP2, TP, PP, CP, PDC.
2006 X3 - Purchased BMW of Peoria, IL September 10, 2007 - Black/Black
2006 330i Purchased BMW of Peoria, IL October 12, 2005 Arctic Met/Beige
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:13 PM
pezjunki pezjunki is offline
Registered User
Location: Ky
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by szee1 View Post
I'm guessing others may be interested too. The link below is not from the seller I dealt with however my purchase was over a year ago and sellers in China change frequently. The software is not super intuitive however if you take your time and work through the menus, most changes are available. Thus far I have changed the daytime running lights, the auto lock feature, the remote window roll up, maint schedules, the speedometer offset ratio (to bring the speedometer into a realistic reading and no this only changes the speedo and not the odometer inputs so your indicated mileage is still accurate), turned the blinking clown nose on when my wife locks her doors (she doesn't have the alarm), etc, etc, etc. Lots you can do with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-1-4-0-Scanne...item3f06f1d189

Cheers
S
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms