Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Hi Folks, I have a new F25 X3 with an intermittent issue that hopefully will go away. About every 10th time I drive the vehicle the auto transmission does not lock up a solid connection to the wheels.
I can tell because the engine is revving higher than normal and any pressure on the accelerator sees the tacho jump about 500 rpm like any other older automatic that is driving through transmission fluid.

Once I get onto a freeway and do 110kmh it still drives through fluid with no lock up, and is doing 2500rpm (2 litre diesel engine, auto). If I pull over, switch everything off then restart (ie rebooting) then take off it behaves normally and drives through a solid connection to the wheels, with about 1500rpm at 110kmh. This car has only 5500km on the clock.

I have discussed with local BMW dealer who say keep an eye on it and bring it in once it becomes a problem. Trouble is, it is intermittent and may not be easy to demonstrate. No error notification in the idrive system either.

I would be interested to hear how other people's X3 are going and if you are experiencing anything similar.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: X3 iDrive35i
There is a recall coming on on iDrive35i engines for driveshaft bolts coming loos - our entire driveshaft separated!! Check out the WSJ article and NHTSA report
Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 PM

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...e-driveshafts/

BMW AG says it is recalling a relatively small number of all-wheel-drive 328i and 335i sport sedans from the 2011 model year because of a possible problem with their front driveshaft bolts. All of the roughly 190 affected vehicles have BMWs xdrive all-wheel-drive system and were built from Feb. 8 to July 29, 2011.

In a recall notice filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration the German car maker said if discovered loose bolts on certain vehicles that were being processed at its plant prior to delivery to dealers. It appeared the bolts hadnt been tightened to the proper specification during assembly.

If the bolts the bolts were to come loose during driving, the drive might notice noise or vibration from the cars front end. Unnoticed, the condition could result in further loosening to the point where the driveshaft may disengage from the front wheels and cause a breakdown and increase the risk of a crash.

Under the recall BMW dealers will replace the front driveshaft attachment bolts free of charge. The recall is expected to begin next month. Owners may contact BMW at 800-525-7417.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 PM

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...e-driveshafts/

BMW AG says it is recalling a relatively small number of all-wheel-drive 328i and 335i sport sedans from the 2011 model year because of a possible problem with their front driveshaft bolts. All of the roughly 190 affected vehicles have BMWs xdrive all-wheel-drive system and were built from Feb. 8 to July 29, 2011.

In a recall notice filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration the German car maker said if discovered loose bolts on certain vehicles that were being processed at its plant prior to delivery to dealers. It appeared the bolts hadnt been tightened to the proper specification during assembly.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken2011 View Post
There is a recall coming on on iDrive35i engines for driveshaft bolts coming loos - our entire driveshaft separated!! Check out the WSJ article and NHTSA report
Who besides you says than an X3 recall is coming? Without any specific facts to support that statement, without something more than just a link to the 3-series recall, from my perspective you're getting a bit shrill, frantic, and perhaps delusional.

I respect your situation. I respect the fact that your wife will not drive the car, nor would mine in a similar situation. I respect the fact that you want to be out of the car, as I would be. I wonder though, why BMW NA declares the problem to not be a Warranty issue? Are they saying that the previous repairs caused the drive shaft failure?

Last edited by 02420X3; 10-11-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 AM

Wink

You may have a point! I am thinking of ways of getting it out of my garage - having it towed by a bright red 1956 John Deere downtown, and then donating it to the homeless to sleep in, seems to be the most entertaining and creative thought I have had in a while. My apologies for turning a serious discussion of the vehicle into a 3 ring circus; in the end the circus may be in better shape than ever thanks to its clown.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Lemon Yellow

Seriously, I would get some 3M washable paint and do the car up nicely in lemon yellow.

I would then park it on public property right near the dealership every Saturday. If you can't do that then drive around during prime hours near every BMW dealership you can find.

It shouldn't take long before they get back to you.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Ken, for the cost of renting the tractor and trailer to haul it downtown why not spend the money on a Lemon Law attorney and have them send a "lawyer letter" to BMWNA and the dealer informing them of your intention to institute lemon law proceedings. That might well get them off top dead center. You could recoup the lawyer costs when your case is settled as I believe there is a proviso for that (at least in CA there is). Good luck.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 PM

No response from BMW per usual channels. Wrote to BMW of N America Board. Got a call from a "Lauren Murphy" who works with Dan Creed (VP) in Marketing / Aftersales (same woman who told me her computer was not working the first time she called me!!!) She seemed "surprised" that nothing had been done and told me she was "working on it." I think they were just hoping the problem would go away. When I called back BMW of NA told me there was no Lauren Murphy in Corporate but that there was a Laura Reimann working for Dan Creed (VP Aftersales). I don't suppose she would use a fake name to call disgruntled customers would she?

My read on the BMW X3 is: It did not come right, it was not fixed right and the customer service has certainly not been right. 31 days out of the first 6 months in the shop is a pretty lousy record for any new car, especially one touted as the "ultimate driving machine."